THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 13:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Harry Potter Again  (Read 30135 times)

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
Harry Potter Again
« on: 08 Jul 2009, 16:30 »

So, the new Harry Potter flick comes out a week from today. With that in mind, I figure now's as good a time as any to get the inevitable thread started.

And oh, look, a shiny new trailer to go along with the thread.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Re: Harry Potter Again
« Reply #1 on: 08 Jul 2009, 16:39 »

WOO FUCK YEAH

...don't judge me...
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2 on: 08 Jul 2009, 17:18 »

I am so fucking excited.

And it's directed by David Yates, director of the 5th one. So it's guaranteed not to be as shitty as #s 3 or 4.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #3 on: 08 Jul 2009, 17:23 »

Man Prisoner of Azkaban was a pretty solid film. And Goblet of Fire was...well let's just move on.

Anyway, I'm totally going to the IMAX to see this. Est and Eris are coming with me as well, whether they want to or not.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #4 on: 08 Jul 2009, 17:50 »

I am so fucking excited.

And it's directed by David Yates, director of the 5th one. So it's guaranteed not to be as shitty as #s 3 or 4.

Cool, the 4th one really was terrible. The 5th one was actually not bad.

So yeah, I'm going to go see this, despite disliking the book more than the others in the series.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #5 on: 08 Jul 2009, 17:57 »

Yeah Yates is set to direct the two-part 7th movie, too. So this is pretty much his acid test.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #6 on: 08 Jul 2009, 18:04 »

This actually looks like kind of a fun film, although I think it would be a lot better if combined with drinking so I think I'll wait for the DVD. I will watch basically anything with Alan Rickman in on principle.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #7 on: 08 Jul 2009, 18:56 »

I am sooooooooooooooo excited. I saw the new trailer when I saw Transformers and I was bouncing in my seat. Jim Broadbent is probably going to be an excellent Slughorn and from what it looks like they're going to be rather close to the book.

So yeah. I'm seeing this after I get off work Wednesday.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

allison

• Bling blang blong blung
  • i really want a mustache
« Reply #8 on: 08 Jul 2009, 18:59 »

WOOO
I have my tickets for opening day!
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 08 Jul 2009, 19:24 »

Seeing it with my mom no matter what.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #10 on: 08 Jul 2009, 19:50 »

Being dragged to see this, but in return I'm dragging her to see Limits of Control.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #11 on: 09 Jul 2009, 05:20 »

It's a summertime "shut my brain off and entertain me" sort of flick. 

And I will be there with my lads looking at all the pretty special effects and being entertained. 
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

knives

• Furry furrier
« Reply #12 on: 09 Jul 2009, 19:09 »

Jim Broadbent is probably going to be an excellent Slughorn and from what it looks like they're going to be rather close to the book.
Congratulations! You sold a ticket with that.
Being dragged to see this, but in return I'm dragging her to see Limits of Control.
One of my favorite movies this year, but it is rather frustrating. (mostly just C&C type stuff)

chowburger

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2009, 19:17 »

Argh, I'm so excited about this! It's going to be terrible, but it's Harry Potter!

I really wish I didn't have to look at Emma Watson for two-ish hours, though. She makes me irrationally angry.

Be My Head

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2009, 20:19 »

I just noticed both producers and the director are all named David.

I felt the need to let you all know.

Merrick

• Larger than most fish
  • Officially Awesome
« Reply #15 on: 11 Jul 2009, 02:33 »

I just noticed both producers and the director are all named David.

I felt the need to let you all know.

That's a mighty fine piece of info, and the only bit of the film I'm really interested in.  :lol:

Seriously though, I got bored with the whole franchise a little while ago. No intention of going to see this, which is odd considering I would have been pretty excited about this a couple of years ago.
I am in desperate need of a life and common sense.

Quintessentially British.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #16 on: 11 Jul 2009, 22:27 »

I still find Emma Watson to be mildly attractive and I now feel weird about it because so many people seem to hate her.

Be My Head

« Reply #17 on: 11 Jul 2009, 23:05 »

The chick who plays Tonks is cute. Clemence Poesy is beautiful, too bad she's not coming back. I really liked her in 'In Bruges'.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #18 on: 13 Jul 2009, 02:15 »

Saw a trade screening about a week and a half ago, it's pretty good. Prepare for tons and tons of awkward teenage romance drama moments.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #19 on: 13 Jul 2009, 05:21 »

Prepare for tons and tons of awkward teenage romance drama moments.

Yeesh. I'll wait for the DVD rental then.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jul 2009, 09:56 »

Are you actually surprised, Satsugaikaze? I'm guessing you didn't read the book, because that is pretty much note for note how I'd describe the book.
JON MADE ME GAY

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #21 on: 13 Jul 2009, 19:24 »

It was easier to ignore in the book. =P

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #22 on: 13 Jul 2009, 22:33 »

See the problem with adapting book 6 for the screen is that essentially nothing happens in it. It's just a set-up for the 7th book, and has like, 3 major plot points in it. They can't really make a movie where nothing happens, so it's like, 25% moving the plot forward, 75% awkward teenage romance. Thankfully, they decided to leave out Harry being a massive twat and talking in caps/italics for half the book.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #23 on: 14 Jul 2009, 00:42 »

I thought the 5th book had that problem more than the 6th. The 6th actually introduced new concepts and exposition (the Horcruxes, V-mort's childhood) but the 5th book plodded along at a leisurely pace, absorbing all teen drama possible until the last 100 pages.

Then again, the 5th one is one of my favorites for that very same reason. Character development, ftw.

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #24 on: 14 Jul 2009, 04:26 »

I'm seeing this with my girlfriend at the premiere, I have no background on the story though as I never got into the book or movie series.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #25 on: 14 Jul 2009, 05:56 »

I just found out that Bruno Delbonnel is the cinematographer on this one.  Color me interested.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Jughead5267

• Emoticontraindication
  • Ab Initio Ad Finem
« Reply #26 on: 14 Jul 2009, 18:12 »

I still find Emma Watson to be mildly attractive and I now feel weird about it because so many people seem to hate her.

<DELETED DUE TO SCORN>

I'll go home now
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2009, 06:53 by Jughead5267 »

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #27 on: 14 Jul 2009, 19:55 »

wow

that would be creepy even in the comics discussion forum

good job

In other news, I am gonna be seeing this on Thursday as a date. (Love of Harry Potter is close to a dealbreaker thing for me.) I've never been a huge fan of the films compared to the books, but as long as they throw in the scene with Luna commentating I will probably not be too unhappy with this film. I mean it is probably my favourite scene in the books and it is one of the only casting choices they got really right in my opinion so it will almost definitely be the high point of the film for me.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2009, 19:58 by supersheep »
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #28 on: 15 Jul 2009, 01:06 »

Man. That was pretty fucking great. As I expected, despite not enjoying the book so much (I'd rank it dead last in terms of the series), the movie translates very well to film. Yeah, some shit was omitted, but this was the first one yet with clear hints and foreshadowing, which are things I always love. One of, if not the best entires into the film franchise.
JON MADE ME GAY

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #29 on: 15 Jul 2009, 01:38 »

Great. Now I have to see it four times. Asshat.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #30 on: 15 Jul 2009, 13:16 »

<<FUCKING SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD FROM HERE ON IN>>

I figured we'd take care of that right now since the movie's out. Saw it last night at a midnight screening, almost didn't due to my friends being asshats and not managing to get there until about 11:15, and the theatre we went to, despite showing it on six screens sold out nearly five theaters and the one we got seats in was already so packed we had to split into two pairs just to get seats.

I think this one definitely translated to film better than most of the others so far, but its got a lot of problems with it too. One of the guys who went with us had never seen any of the movies or read any of the books (yeah, under a rock) and had absolutely no fucking clue what was going on, ever. He's a pretty bright guy so I think that makes this only a movie accessible to followers of the complete story so far. Which while I think is a flaw I realize it probably won't impact sales too bad since nearly everyone in this country in fact has seen at least the movies so far.

I also think that there wasn't a goo leadup until the climax. I mean, it was pretty much teenage love drama for about 30 minutes after the last plot point, then all of a sudden it was "Okay Harry let's go ohh giant rock in the ocean OMG DEAD". I mean, the movie really just seemed to make it look like it came out of absolutely left field.

I did enjoy it though, even though I think everyone in the audience that clapped after the movie was over should have their pinkies broken.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #31 on: 15 Jul 2009, 13:24 »

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF the ending. The whole movie was paced well and done well, and then they get to the end and it's just DUMBLEDORE'S DEAD OH THIS PLACE IS PRETTY. End of film. I am angry.

However the rest of the movie was incredibly funny and done quite well. Little things here and there that made me a little ticked off but not major. Now I just want to see Deathly Hallows even more eeeeeeeee.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #32 on: 15 Jul 2009, 17:43 »

Spoiler:

Okay I don't understand why the Burrow had to catch on fire. I'm fine with the movies not completely matching the books and all, and I guess they were just trying to deepen the drama of the Harsh Times in the harry potter world, but why they chose to do that makes no sense to me. The Weasley house is supposed to have the same protection as Hogwarts.

Anyway I actually enjoyed this film, which is not something I could say for any of the other HP movies I have seen. My favorite part by far is when Harry says Sir
it's time to stop posting

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #33 on: 15 Jul 2009, 17:54 »

My favorite part was easily the Felix scenes. Radcliffe completely fucking nailed how I've always imagined that part.

"And..you know...the pincers...snip snip."

I really want to see a movie about Daniel Radcliffe playing a drunk now.
JON MADE ME GAY

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #34 on: 15 Jul 2009, 20:37 »

SPOILER

Ok, the only parts I'm rather upset with being left out are all the other memories, which are pretty important (especially where they lead up to what the other horcruxes would be), and the funeral, mostly because I agree with Liz and thought the "THIS PLACE IZ PERTY" was kinda dumb.

END SPOILER

Other than that, the film was pretty great. The Felix scene and Ron's love potion scene were hilarious, Lavender was creepy as hell, Malfoy was pretty damn good, and though he wasn't quite what I imagined the character to be, Slughorn was pretty darn good as well.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #35 on: 15 Jul 2009, 20:40 »

Yeah I can easily say that was by far the best part of the movie, from the beginning of when he drank the potion all the way to where he gets the memory. Not word for word like the book at all and Aragog's dead body came out of nowhere (since they never mentioned he was sick, you just haven't seen him since the second film) from a movie perspective but it was funny as hell and still managed to capture the feel of that entire chapter spot on.

Replacing the funeral with all of them randomly pointing their wands into the air and dispelling the mark was just downright retarded, my friend mentioned previously who has no idea what any of this nearly burst out laughing, and I was inclined to agree with him. Seriously hammed the whole thing up and tarnished the end of the film a bit.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #36 on: 15 Jul 2009, 21:31 »

Phil the bit with the wands may have been silly but goddamn I cried like a little girl. I absolutely BALLED. I felt kind of pathetic, not gonna lie.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #37 on: 16 Jul 2009, 00:13 »

boring movie, not horrible (good sets and FX), but the acting has gone in the shitter and i blame the director. my friend literally burst into tears after it ended (specifically because they decided not to include the battle at the end). myself, i disliked the whole Sweet Valley Hogwarts feel most of the movie had. some parts were funny, but again, the story material just highlights how awful daniel radcliffe is at his job. the felis scenes, i felt like he was rolling, or high, or just plain retarded.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #38 on: 17 Jul 2009, 09:07 »

but as long as they throw in the scene with Luna commentating I will probably not be too unhappy with this film

FUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUU FILMMAKERS

Em, other than that I was quite taken with this film. I mean, I didn't have particularly high expectations of it, but I think it was actually a rather good adaptation. Some laughs to be had to. I actually was quite a fan of the Felix scenes, to be honest.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #39 on: 18 Jul 2009, 00:37 »

Just saw it. I thought it was very good, aside from the ending, which felt very "Oh yes we just killed the most powerful wizard in the world, now let's mosey on over to the pub for a spot of Winchester." I miss my climactic battles :(

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #40 on: 18 Jul 2009, 00:42 »

I liked the 4th better than the 5th actually. Am I in the minority there?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #41 on: 18 Jul 2009, 00:46 »

Yes.

Oh my god, yes.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #42 on: 18 Jul 2009, 06:51 »

Most definitely.  They spent 15 minutes beefing up the dragon fight in an incredibly stupid way.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #43 on: 18 Jul 2009, 06:54 »

In my defense the had no Quidditch in the 5th. What the fuck man.

Mein Tumblr

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #44 on: 18 Jul 2009, 18:16 »

There was no quidditch in the fourth either...
JON MADE ME GAY

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #45 on: 18 Jul 2009, 19:37 »

There was actually a reason for it in the 4th.
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2009, 19:42 by Zombiedude »

Mein Tumblr

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #46 on: 18 Jul 2009, 21:28 »

There was no Quidditch in the 4th due to the Triwizard Tournament and the pitch being taken over by a hedge maze. There was no real excuse for movies 3 and 5, though.

Also Zombie, your avatar rocks.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #47 on: 19 Jul 2009, 07:14 »

I just saw it and in the end I'm basically really disappointed with it. For the most part it was good but it was just so anticlimactic that it left a really bad taste in my mouth. Honestly the ending let the whole film down which is a shame because it was so strong for basically all of it.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #48 on: 19 Jul 2009, 20:10 »

Also Zombie, your avatar rocks.

I don't plan on changing anytime soon.

Mein Tumblr

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #49 on: 20 Jul 2009, 00:51 »

Oh hey, I talked to a girl who has seen it. No Luna Quidditch scene apparently.

Mein Tumblr
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up