THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Last Airbender  (Read 29834 times)

Lines

• Awakened
Re: The Last Airbender
« Reply #50 on: 30 Jun 2010, 17:33 »

Well, we all just have to wait a few more days before the reviews start pouring in, wonder if it'll do better than Eclipse.  And that should be the big question of this week, are you more likely to check out this or Twilight, I for one will be checking out Twilight.

This is The Question for my friends and I this Saturday. I want to see both, but I want the twihard experience because it is SO FUNNY.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #51 on: 30 Jun 2010, 17:37 »

Yeah even Ebert's ripping this one apart, and he was favorable to The Happening.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #52 on: 30 Jun 2010, 21:12 »

It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #53 on: 30 Jun 2010, 21:29 »

I think it's more accurate to say that he didn't hate The Happening as much as everyone else did. I remember his review as basically weighing in as "Not exactly terrible," the film critic equivalent of casting a movie into limbo. I feel about it pretty much the same way. The Happening wasn't good, but it didn't make me feel like I had seen a benchmark bad movie. Then again, I have a hard time getting enthused about film in general and Shyamalan in particular, so maybe my expectations were just barely low enough.
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2010, 21:31 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #54 on: 30 Jun 2010, 21:31 »

I enjoyed The Happening inasmuch as I enjoy any schlocky B-horror movie. But it was pretty universally panned. And Last Airbender is getting worse reviews.

Ouch.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #55 on: 30 Jun 2010, 22:38 »

I enjoyed The Happening inasmuch as I enjoy any schlocky B-horror movie.

It had some similarities to The Mist, as far as flaws go. Both films try and have their cake and eat it too in regards to tone, since the plots are balls out goofy and the characters are in too odd of a situation to give you any sort of real grounding. It creates some weird moments where a person could be forgiven for not being to tell if it's unintentional comedy or not, which is hella distracting for a lot of people. Distracted audiences aren't terribly likely to start giving a shit about your characters, which is kind of a problem given the endings of each film. I can totally see how an audience might leave either one feeling annoyed and jerked around, although I think the Mist fared a lot better overall in that regard.

But yeah, man, does Ebert hate him some Last Airbender. Not a good sign for me, since our tastes tend to align pretty closely, particularly in regards to visual style. It's pretty easy to get me invested in a special effects loaded scene as long as the actors really sell it, but that sounds like it's an issue with this one, and that REALLY tends to distract me. I can handle schlocky '80s action movie fight choreography better than I can handle a serious case of CGI-actor disconnect.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #56 on: 01 Jul 2010, 10:35 »

wow, im hearing nothing good about this movie.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #57 on: 01 Jul 2010, 10:58 »

With 71 reviews so far, only 4 of them are good...this could turn out to be the worst film of the year.  This is AMAZING and I'm completely and utterly surprised by this.  When I heard that he was making it I pretty much knew it was going to be horrible but this bad, I would never have guessed.  And I'm definitely going to check out Eclipse over this.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

knives

• Furry furrier
« Reply #59 on: 01 Jul 2010, 14:40 »

With 71 reviews so far, only 4 of them are good...this could turn out to be the worst film of the year.  This is AMAZING and I'm completely and utterly surprised by this.  When I heard that he was making it I pretty much knew it was going to be horrible but this bad, I would never have guessed.  And I'm definitely going to check out Eclipse over this.
The funny thing about those four is how half-hearted they are. Even Hex managed a few, 'it's totally awesome in a bad way reviews.'

Ikrik

« Reply #60 on: 01 Jul 2010, 15:03 »

Wow.  I have found the SINGLE best review blurb for this movie, ever, ever.

Shyamalan has taken what could have been a big, flashy, generic Hollywood production and made it wholly his own.

This comes from Kevin N. Laforest.  He also loved Shrek 4, Cop Out, and Terminator Salvation.  He also said this about Brokeback Mountain

I love gay people and I love a lot of gay movies - just not this one.

Sometimes I love not just reading one contradictory review, but reading a whole bunch of other reviews by the same guy.  Reading Armond White's reviews has brought me hours of joy. Did you know that dude hated (500) Days of Summer, Up, Star Trek, The Dark Knight, Milk, In Bruges, There Will Be Blood, Gone Baby Gone....while giving awesome reviews to Jonah Hex, Clash of the Titans, I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, and Dance Flick?  Oh good times. 

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #61 on: 01 Jul 2010, 15:07 »

Armond White was the first and one of the only people to give Toy Story 3 a bad review.

He pretty much always just writes a review contrary to everyone else just because.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #62 on: 01 Jul 2010, 15:15 »

It does definitely give off that joker vibe. Before this movie came out my feelings toward it was "isn't that that kids cartoon, if so, i dont care." Then the trailer inspired a little bit of... something, maybe heartburn, but I would give it a boot if it were free, but based on the reception I will revert back to "isn't that an m night shamlaymlayn movie, if so, i don't care"
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #63 on: 01 Jul 2010, 15:34 »

That's how I'm feeling.
"Oh god this looks terrible"
"The trailers are giving me some hope"
"Oh god the reviews for this say it's terrible"
Either way, I'm going to see this, maybe twice if my plan doesn't work out.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #64 on: 01 Jul 2010, 18:05 »

I'm kinda sorry I jumped on the hopeful bandwagon by even starting this thread, given the reviews attached to the final product. I'll skip it in theaters and save it for netflix or something so at least I'm not spending 10 bucks on a ticket. Since I already saw Toy Story last weekend (and loved the ever loving love out of it), this probably means I'm going to see the Karate Kid this weekend instead, or just go watch Toy Story 3 again.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #65 on: 01 Jul 2010, 20:54 »

Charlie Jane Anders of io9's fantastic review

That review had me cracking up when I read it this morning.  I'm gonna guess it's way better than the movie, which I will not be seeing.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #66 on: 01 Jul 2010, 21:22 »

Hero's-Journey bukkake.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #67 on: 02 Jul 2010, 00:14 »

Charlie Jane Anders of io9's fantastic review

This review, read sincerely, roughly sums up how I feel about Batman and Robin. Maybe I will watch this when it is on TV.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #68 on: 02 Jul 2010, 11:47 »

It's pretty much the right way to approach Starship Troopers.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

knives

• Furry furrier
« Reply #69 on: 02 Jul 2010, 13:09 »

Or Douglas Sirk.
Really that's the only way to enjoy most of these sorts of films.

rynne

• Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #70 on: 02 Jul 2010, 14:01 »

It's pretty much the right way to approach Starship Troopers.

That was pretty much Verhoeven's point, right?  That all the pro-war cliches stuffed into action flicks are actually pretty vile?

Whereas M. Night's just throwing himself a massive pity party: "You know what I don't know what the disconnect is ... I'm speaking a different language I guess."
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #71 on: 02 Jul 2010, 16:57 »

I feel sorta bad for the actors. I get that learning to deal with failure is a life lesson and all that crap, but I doubt 12 year old me would have handled this very well. Hell, I probably wouldn't handle it well now.

Ikrik

« Reply #72 on: 02 Jul 2010, 17:16 »

I've heard that Jake Lloyd pretty much hates his entire involvement with that horrible movie and that kids still make fun of him for it.  I saw an interview with him a while ago and he seemed REALLY bitter about the whole experience.  I wonder if "Aang" is going to feel the same way years down the road or if The Last Airbender is going to tank so badly that no one will even remember.  My guess is no one will remember it in five years, unless it does well enough for them to continue.

Also, if this film does really badly, will it help spell the way for the death of 3-D?  I certainly hope so.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #73 on: 02 Jul 2010, 17:17 »

Don't be silly. They charge more for tickets for 3d. It's here to stay.

Ikrik

« Reply #74 on: 02 Jul 2010, 17:49 »

Yeah, but how much does it cost to turn a movie into 3-D?  If enough of these films flop the amount it costs to invest in the 3-D will be sacrificed....won't it?  If enough people stop paying to see these stupid 3-D conversions it has to stop, right? 

Hollywood is already saying that people are starting to get sequel fatigue and are considering not making so many sequels/prequels because people are starting to get sick of them and the box office numbers aren't AS high as they expected them to be.  At what point will they decide that people have 3-D fatigue and decide to stop this rather annoying trend?

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #75 on: 02 Jul 2010, 19:03 »

Ummm.....Have you not seen Toy Story 3 yet? Or that perfect for 3d short at the beginning? Because Until you have, I don't think you can really continue to shit on 3d.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Ikrik

« Reply #76 on: 02 Jul 2010, 19:58 »

I am fine if the film is filmed in 3-D but the problem is with the post-filming conversions that a lot of films seem to be jumping on.  Clash of the Titans, Alice In Wonderland, Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, This.  Consider that there's only been two or three films that have good 3-D and a huge amount that are coming out that have terrible 3-D that makes things dark and muddled and blurry and I think that I have a good reason to say that that the 3-D they've been using is total garbage. 

When they start filming films initially in 3-D I might be more forgiving about it, but those films aren't coming out for a little while.  Personally though, I really don't like 3-D and will continue seeing films only in 2-D. 

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #77 on: 02 Jul 2010, 22:27 »

Yes, this may (MAY) spell the end for fake, post-production 3-D but it's a goddamned fool's errand to think that they're gonna stop putting out 3-D films that were actually conceived as being 3-D from the get-go

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #78 on: 02 Jul 2010, 23:08 »

Yeah, it's too damn useful as a trojan horse for raising ticket prices, if nothing else. I doubt we'll see the day where every film is in 3d any time soon, but when I heard that Men in Black was going to be in 3d, it hit me as one of the least surprising announcements ever. You don't need a big percentage of the audience to pay the extra 3 bucks to get your money back on producing the film in 3d when you're talking about a Will Smith vehicle.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #79 on: 02 Jul 2010, 23:40 »

What will kill 3D is when audiences figure out that they're paying more money for a lesser cinematic experience. The glasses are uncomfortable, the images on screen are darkened and muddied by wearing the glasses and if you get sick of it and try to watch the movie without the 3D glasses you just get a slightly fuzzy image with the colours separated at the edges, and the 3D effects while eye-catching at times are not so much 3D as a slightly disoncerting layering of 2D images akin to a pop-up book. Directors, meanwhile, at least those who are passionate about their films, will I suspect start to shy away from 3D because, apart from all the points I just mentioned, watching a film in 3D actually distracts and distances the viewer from the movie itself, which no director wants.
« Last Edit: 02 Jul 2010, 23:42 by Inlander »

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #80 on: 02 Jul 2010, 23:50 »

There's also a problem with 3D in terms of color vibrancy, which was one of the main knocks against Other Avatar. Although they're probably working on ways to get around that.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #81 on: 03 Jul 2010, 01:09 »

3d is just a tool, it takes some practice to learn how to use it right, and the first few attempts are always going to be abit clumsy. eventually things will get better i think, directors will learn when to be bold and when to be subtle, and the tech will improve. once it becomes standard curriculum in film schools, then we will see some interesting shit. remember that it took a while for anyone to take color films seriously too.

as to the movie, it's a bummer, i hoped it would be good, and i still kind of like night. i think he really tries. unbreakable was my favorite of his, the village was ok, signs was exceptionally well made even though it was fundamentally flawed (i'd like to blame mel gibson for that, but who knows), never saw the happening, and i actually really liked lady in the water, even if he did cast himself as jesus and attempt to insult all his critics (the critic was by far the best character though, so ha). if he wants to pick up his career, i think he'd best go back to his roots and give us some suspense, because above all else, the man knows how to create atmosphere and tension.

i've been thinking about it though, and to some extent, i suspect that the biggest problem is that this was just an unnecessary film. the story has allready been told well and beautifully, so what is to be gained from telling it again with actors instead of drawings? it has to be a fairly condensed version of the story at that, so why do it (other than the obviou$ of cour$e)? a better approach i think would have been to tell a new story within the same continuity, either a sequel with the characters having a new adventure (perhaps tying up a loose plot thread or two) or to do a prequel with a previous avatar.

but then again, i haven't seen the movie, so that is all purely theoretical.

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #82 on: 03 Jul 2010, 12:07 »

*can't wait for the rifftrax version*

This might be so bad it's funny material.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #83 on: 03 Jul 2010, 12:15 »

Based on the reviews, I'm not optimistic it's even worth it for that.

It just sounds deeply boring instead of laughably bad.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #84 on: 03 Jul 2010, 13:43 »

Yeah, the only nice thing I've heard anyone say about the movie was in regards to the guy who plays Uncle Iroh, who I guess wasn't completely terrible. Figures, since Uncle Iroh was a fan favorite for a reason.

Gah, this whole thing bums me out.

rynne

• Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #85 on: 04 Jul 2010, 04:36 »

What will kill 3D is when audiences figure out that they're paying more money for a lesser cinematic experience. The glasses are uncomfortable, the images on screen are darkened and muddied by wearing the glasses and if you get sick of it and try to watch the movie without the 3D glasses you just get a slightly fuzzy image with the colours separated at the edges, and the 3D effects while eye-catching at times are not so much 3D as a slightly disoncerting layering of 2D images akin to a pop-up book. Directors, meanwhile, at least those who are passionate about their films, will I suspect start to shy away from 3D because, apart from all the points I just mentioned, watching a film in 3D actually distracts and distances the viewer from the movie itself, which no director wants.

Not to mention the glasses are disease-ridden
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #86 on: 04 Jul 2010, 08:09 »

Well, that's no surprise really, when it comes into contact with multiple people every day. When I went to see Up! I got an alcohol wipe to clean the glasses with, so they do take it into consideration.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #87 on: 04 Jul 2010, 15:31 »

I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Ikrik

« Reply #88 on: 04 Jul 2010, 16:55 »

That is really, really surprising. When a movie is at 8% and has horrible word of mouth don't people listen anymore?  I was kind of hoping this movie was going to pull a Jonah Hex and end up at like number 5 or 6.  I'm interested now to see how quickly it'll drop next week. 

Somehow I think they might just end up making those other two films.  Yay for two more Last Airbender movies?

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #89 on: 05 Jul 2010, 06:54 »

Not to mention the glasses are disease-ridden

The cinemas here give you individually wrapped 3D glasses. In fact if you show up having kept the last pair you were given they give you a discount on the tickets. Also the 3D glasses at the IMAX here are given to you out of a massive portable dishwasher/steam cleaner thing. They're still slightly warm when you are given them!
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
« Reply #90 on: 05 Jul 2010, 13:18 »

I've always been a big fan of Moviebob's reviews, and this one is definitely a very fair one:
http://moviebob.blogspot.com/2010/07/escape-to-movies-last-airbender.html
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #91 on: 05 Jul 2010, 19:06 »

I'm not one to agree with critics, but holy fuck this movie was terrible.  Everything about it was terrible.

Vanity Fair has your back
« Last Edit: 05 Jul 2010, 19:54 by Blue Kitty »

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #92 on: 06 Jul 2010, 01:05 »

i haven't seen this movie but someone said this is an actual exchange:

Princess: "It's been nice spending these last few weeks with you."
Love interest: "Me too."
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #93 on: 06 Jul 2010, 10:05 »

To be honest, that sounds like something Sokka would say in the cartoon, just because he's a buffoon. If they played that line straight like he meant to say that, then that's pretty lame though.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #94 on: 06 Jul 2010, 12:03 »

I could see how he'd come across as just plain old awkward and bewildering if this film is as devoid of character development as reviewers keep saying it is. Sokka is relentless with his buffoonery in the cartoon, after all. Even as he develops into a solid contributor and unconventional thinker he never really relinquishes his comic relief role. I can't imagine Shyamalan writing for a character like that, to be honest.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #95 on: 06 Jul 2010, 12:39 »

Another reason not to see it

Every bending technique requires them to do a complex set of moves to do the easiest things.
« Last Edit: 06 Jul 2010, 12:41 by Blue Kitty »

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #96 on: 07 Jul 2010, 02:44 »

Runner4406pack

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #97 on: 12 Jul 2010, 21:19 »

few words of advice, if you are a fan of the series it is visually stunning as a movie! remarkably so! on the downside it was too rushed and unexciting to capture any audience that couldn't fill the unexplained gaps with prior knowledge, there were so many details and actions that needed to happen in order to feel for the characters and make sense of the movie!

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up