THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 11:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you eating?  (Read 105990 times)

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
Re: What are you eating?
« Reply #350 on: 12 Oct 2009, 19:18 »

-usage of the word "slunk"
I would just like to clarify that this is a word my grandparents use to mean something between a slice and a chunk, usually a hefty kind of slice. Maybe this is what everyone else thinks the word means, maybe not.

Now I am eating pumpkin pie topped with espresso whipped cream.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #351 on: 12 Oct 2009, 19:59 »

i am eating biscuits for lunch. I have to work tonight. Maybe I should have something more substantial?
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #352 on: 12 Oct 2009, 20:29 »

Now I am eating pumpkin pie topped with whipped cream.

I shall be eating that in a bit
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

BlakeJustBlake

• Furry furrier
  • I am not Michel Foucault
    • Facebook
« Reply #353 on: 12 Oct 2009, 21:44 »

We just cooked up some barbecue chicken and green beans, my friend is convinced that we need to move up north and open up a barbecue place.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #354 on: 12 Oct 2009, 22:08 »

People in the north do not care about barbecue.  I am a North Carolinian when it comes to barbecue, and I think a legit NC barbecue joint here would totally not work, because it doesn't have sauce on it.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

BlakeJustBlake

• Furry furrier
    • Facebook
« Reply #355 on: 12 Oct 2009, 22:11 »

because it doesn't have sauce on it.

what do you mean?

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #356 on: 12 Oct 2009, 22:16 »

NC barbecue does not have the thick, sweet, tomato-y "BBQ sauce" on it.  It is not required if you do it right.  Admittedly, a none of the places up here do it right.

I don't know about chicken, but barbecue consists only of pork in my eyes.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

BlakeJustBlake

• Furry furrier
    • Facebook
« Reply #357 on: 12 Oct 2009, 22:17 »

you should definitely taste some of the stuff the way we do it then see how you feel.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #358 on: 12 Oct 2009, 22:21 »

I have no doubt that it might be tasty, I would just never call it barbecue unless it was cooked in a pit for six or more hours.  And was a pig.

Though, maybe the people up here would recognize what you make as barbecue and you'd do just fine.  Of course, I'm basing this on what I've found in Rochester, which is a terrible thing to do.  Rochesterians in general have no palette to speak of.  They enjoy something called a garbage plate.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #359 on: 12 Oct 2009, 22:36 »

People in the north do not care about barbecue.

Man, I know Carolina has one of the oldest barbecue traditions going in North America, but there are dudes from Chicago and Quebec who'll cut you for talking like that.

I'm serious.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #360 on: 12 Oct 2009, 22:43 »

Man, I'm too drunk to not be making generalizations based on the very small city in which I currently reside.  An intelligent man would have just decided to not post, but unfortunately for you guys, I'm not all that intelligent.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #361 on: 12 Oct 2009, 22:46 »

To be fair, most of the guys that I know up north who are really, really into barbecue tend to come from southern families. Chicago, for example, has a lot of blacks whose parents migrated up north to be part of the local meatpacking industry. Combine that with the fact that Chicago was basically the hog slaughtering capital of the world up until recently, and you end up with a lot of guys who take their pork roasting waaaaay too seriously.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2009, 22:50 by Alex C »

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #362 on: 12 Oct 2009, 22:50 »

take their pork roasting waaaaay too seriously.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  Are you implying that there's any amount of seriousness that would be too much when considering pork?
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #363 on: 12 Oct 2009, 22:50 »

Yes, but only because pork is always good.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #364 on: 12 Oct 2009, 22:58 »

Keep in mind that I'm biased here; I'm mostly Spanish-Mexican, and my great grandfather Alejandro was a raging asshole who loved him some Iberian ham. In my family, if it wasn't pork, it was fried in lard.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #365 on: 12 Oct 2009, 22:59 »

Yes, but only because pork is always good.

Your point, sir, is irrefutable.

Man, I've got some delicious NC barbecue in my fridge.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #366 on: 12 Oct 2009, 23:08 »

i love barbecue
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #367 on: 12 Oct 2009, 23:15 »

The other weekend I had a Kuma's Night at my house where I basically replicated the Lair of the Minotaur burger. It was surprisingly simple, I just copied this video and, while it wasn't Kuma's calibre, it was still pretty sick. My actual, honest-to-God life's ambition is to open up a legit burger place, the kind you'd find on A Hamburger Today or something. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to tie Asian cuisine into it - but I might put that on the backburner while I figure out a bun to go on, and try my hand at just creating a simple, elegant cheeseburger.

God I'm going to be so fat when I'm older.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2009, 23:18 by Johnny C »

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #368 on: 12 Oct 2009, 23:24 »

A place in Charleston, where I used to live, did a foie gras burger for their lunch menu.  I know, it sounds like something that you do to lure foodies in, and maybe it is.  It is also delicious and should always be split between two people (yes, one burger).  That chef left to do other things and the current chef apparently disagrees with the idea that lunch is a good thing for a restaurant to do.  Basically, I love the foodie movement towards burgers, because burgers are fucking delicious and I'm glad that restaurants are now treating them with the respect they deserve.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #369 on: 12 Oct 2009, 23:59 »

God I'm going to be so fat when I'm older.

Johnny, at a certain point in life, usually in the 20s, a person is faced with a particular choice: either they can be thin, or they can eat what they enjoy eating. Personally I would rather have a belly and be carefree about eating food I enjoy, than worry and fret over every calory I ingest and have a nice slim body.

To put it another way: a couple of Christmases ago I was having an idle think about this, and something occurred to me: sure, there are accepted health benefits to minimising one's cholesterol intake - but aren't there also accepted health benefits to being stress-free? I'd rather be stress free and enjoy eating than stress about my diet and never eat salami or chocolate cake again.

I call it the "You Only Live Once" diet, and I've been on it for some time now.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2009, 08:13 by Inlander »

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #370 on: 13 Oct 2009, 00:37 »

Normally for breakfast I will just have a cigarette outside work before my shift starts but since I ran out of cigarettes last night I did something a little different this morning and stubbed my toe on my chest of drawers as I left my bedroom.

Fuck.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #371 on: 13 Oct 2009, 07:15 »

The other weekend I had a Kuma's Night at my house where I basically replicated the Lair of the Minotaur burger. It was surprisingly simple, I just copied this video and, while it wasn't Kuma's calibre, it was still pretty sick. My actual, honest-to-God life's ambition is to open up a legit burger place, the kind you'd find on A Hamburger Today or something. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to tie Asian cuisine into it - but I might put that on the backburner while I figure out a bun to go on, and try my hand at just creating a simple, elegant cheeseburger.

I was just reading about Kuma's today, after Cosmo Lee (probably the smartest metal blogger going around at the moment, with the possible exception of John Darnielle, if that kind of thing interests you.) made a post about it. It never occurred to me to try to recreate one of the burgers. I think I might take a swing at the Neurosis or maybe even the Judas Priest sometime though.

Harry, your post has caused me to make a serious reappraisal of my priorities. No shit. I tend to be really self-conscious about my belly and it causes me no small amount of consternation daily.

But on the other hand, despite not making a great effort to exercise and having pretty bad impulse control when it comes to food, I'm not gaining weight either. I seem to have plateau'd at "kind of chubby". Of course, even when I was focusing on exercising every day and eating better, I wasn't losing weight then either. Also I have a long-term girlfriend who thinks I'm pretty decent, I'm popular (on the Internet) and I can cook a serious steak.

Maybe I'm going to be O.K.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #372 on: 13 Oct 2009, 08:14 »

Dovey, your post caused me to re-read my post and fix the glaring typo that I'd missed earlier.

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #373 on: 13 Oct 2009, 08:16 »

I made some kick-ass spaghetti last night.

I fried up garlic, onions, peppers, and mushrooms with some hamburger in extra virgin olive oil.  Then I added a can of salt free tomato past and a bottle of Newman's Own Sockarooni sauce to it.  I am glad I have a ton of leftovers.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2009, 08:57 by Caleb »

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #374 on: 13 Oct 2009, 08:23 »

Goldfish snack crackers!!
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #375 on: 13 Oct 2009, 14:21 »

sure, there are accepted health benefits to minimising one's cholesterol intake - but aren't there also accepted health benefits to being stress-free?

Having a heart attack turned out pretty stressful, too.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #376 on: 13 Oct 2009, 15:16 »

My former step dad's pretty stressed out now that he needs a heart transplant and may not get to be on the list due to weight and alcholism.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #377 on: 13 Oct 2009, 15:47 »

Yes, I was being rather facetious, but at the same time I do advocate worrying less and enjoying your food more. I don't advocate deep-frying everything and choosing the "extra large, extra sugar" option wherever possible because, frankly, that's a disgusting abuse of food. But by and large I consume what I like (by which I mean if the "less healthy" food option is genuinely tastier and more enjoyable, then I go for it - see, for instance, full-cream millk vs. skim milk), I stay active by riding my bike everywhere, walking to the shops, and playing touch football (all things I enjoy doing), and I don't worry about the fact that my belly's larger now than it was ten years ago.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #378 on: 13 Oct 2009, 16:04 »

Full cream milk is terrible and that makes you terrible.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #379 on: 13 Oct 2009, 16:06 »

If I'm going to drink something that's only meant to be consumed by baby cows, I'm going to drink the right stuff.

Specifically, unhomogenised biodynamic full-cream milk.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #380 on: 13 Oct 2009, 16:09 »

3.14(apple)

Mein Tumblr

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #381 on: 13 Oct 2009, 19:57 »

Yes, I was being rather facetious, but at the same time I do advocate worrying less and enjoying your food more. I don't advocate deep-frying everything and choosing the "extra large, extra sugar" option wherever possible because, frankly, that's a disgusting abuse of food. But by and large I consume what I like (by which I mean if the "less healthy" food option is genuinely tastier and more enjoyable, then I go for it - see, for instance, full-cream millk vs. skim milk), I stay active by riding my bike everywhere, walking to the shops, and playing touch football (all things I enjoy doing), and I don't worry about the fact that my belly's larger now than it was ten years ago.

Um yeah, this!

It's not like by "stop worrying" and "enjoy life more" that means that I am going to park myself on the couch and surround myself with a fort made of Pringles cans and KFC boxes until I eat my way out. That would make me not enjoy life much at all! Sometimes I enjoy doing exercise (usually when I feel like I don't have to do it, I just want to), and I really don't mind most low-fat/sugar/salt/whatever alternatives.

BlakeJustBlake

• Furry furrier
    • Facebook
« Reply #382 on: 14 Oct 2009, 04:04 »

I baked my own bread for the first time today. The inside ended up a little less baked than it should've been, but all in all it was pretty good. now to start experimenting to try to get sweeter tastes.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #383 on: 14 Oct 2009, 04:49 »

If you cut the first slice and it's not quite baked all the way through, you can just stick it back in the oven for a little bit longer. Won't hurt the bread at all.

Also, welcome to the wonderful world of home-made bread! Always remember the one simple golden rule: do not skimp on the kneading. DO NOT EVER GIVE IN TO THE TEMPTATION TO BE A BIT SLACK ABOUT THE AMOUNT OF TIME YOU HAVE TO SPEND KNEADING THE DOUGH.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #384 on: 14 Oct 2009, 06:45 »

Last night while partyin' with Oli I had a Scooby Snack.

They roughly look like this

Mine wasn't as stuffed though. Basically you go to a burger van and ask for a "scooby" and they give you a roll with a bunch of stuff on it (which this night was a hamburger patty, fried egg, bacon, black pudding and a potato scone).

JHC that had to have been the most delicious fucking thing I've had since I've arrived in this country. I can't imagine my heart or my girlfriend are happy about that though.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #385 on: 14 Oct 2009, 07:12 »

frozen waffles slathered with salty butter and maple syrup. also, the only thing i have eaten for breakfast for the last three weeks and counting ever since i suddenly woke up with a craving for waffles and bought like 10 boxes at the grocery store.
somehow i'm still not sick of them but i imagine i will be soon. that or death by heart failure i guess.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #386 on: 14 Oct 2009, 08:12 »

Better than pancakes

Mein Tumblr

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #387 on: 14 Oct 2009, 08:26 »

How are they better than pancakes?  Waffles are typically made with the same type of batter.  Either way, delicious.
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

Scrambled Egg Machine

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Of course you realize this means war.
« Reply #388 on: 14 Oct 2009, 08:42 »

Guys I am so tired of ramen. Seriously.
Not so sure about these things anymore.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #389 on: 15 Oct 2009, 07:24 »

chocolate chip waffles today oh man this is so good i am so happy

when i die please tell my friends and family that i loved... waffles. also them i guess. mainly waffles though.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #390 on: 15 Oct 2009, 08:29 »

DECLARATION:  French toast is better than waffles.
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Reed

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #391 on: 15 Oct 2009, 08:41 »

QUALIFICATION: Entirely depends on mood.
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #392 on: 15 Oct 2009, 09:03 »

REALIZATION:  I agree with you now that I think about it.
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

ibrahimdelil

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #393 on: 16 Oct 2009, 06:08 »

cookies!
When I am with you, we stay up all night.
When you're not here, I can't go to sleep.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #394 on: 16 Oct 2009, 06:12 »

REALIZATION:  I agree with you now that I think about it.

WHAT: no you were right the first time dogg

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #395 on: 16 Oct 2009, 14:02 »

How are they better than pancakes?  Waffles are typically made with the same type of batter.  Either way, delicious.

There doesn't have to be a reason for everything.

Mein Tumblr

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #396 on: 16 Oct 2009, 14:04 »

Just ate a slice of what was essentially bacon cheeseburger pizza, with barbecue sauce.  So good, but now it's all gone and I need to practice before what little sustenance this one slice provides is gone.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #397 on: 16 Oct 2009, 14:07 »

what can i do with these leftover chicken breasts

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #398 on: 16 Oct 2009, 14:12 »

Give yourself implants?

Or make stirfry with some egg noodles, green peppers, carrots, onions, celery, brocolli, and whatever sauces you have handy.  It's what my dinner will be.
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2009, 14:28 by Joseph »

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #399 on: 16 Oct 2009, 15:03 »

AHHHH C'MON FUCK A CHICKEN BREAST

But seriously, every time I try working with chicken breasts they always come out all dry and unappetizing and shit. other than brining 'em, anyone got any ideas for avoiding the Chicken Breast problem?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18   Go Up