THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 13:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you eating?  (Read 106006 times)

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
Re: What are you eating?
« Reply #650 on: 13 Feb 2010, 08:07 »

I burn 1600 calories if I just lay in bed all day, according to the BMR calculator. Also, most of the time I only eat once, maybe twice while I'm awake. Once in the morning and once at night. If I wake up after noon, I usually only eat once. That said, right now I am having the breakfast of champions, Campbells Chunky Sirloin Burger soup and indie music.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #651 on: 13 Feb 2010, 11:40 »

here's a big photo dump of foods i've made & eated recently

PORKCHOP & SALAD

Porkchop was marinated with pepper, garlic, coriander and Orangina. The salad is spinach with crushed walnuts, pan-roasted pine nuts and chopped pear, topped with a homemade maple-balsamic vinaigrette and shaved parmesan.

ROASTED BEEFS

Just roasted, nothin' special. Served with roasted root veggies and garlic herb mashed potatoes. I was too stupid to check the grain prior to roasting which is why the slices look so stupid.

CHILI

Made this yesterday in the slow cooker. Could have used a lot more seasoning all around but mostly good. Cheese, sour cream and green onion were a good topping idea. This was awesome til I spent an hour on the phone and it got cold.

BMA RISOTTO

Risotto made with bacon and mushroom; used shallots rather than onion and less white wine than I should have. I used white cheddar and a bit of parmesan for the cheese because just using parmesan was way too salty. Browned some apples in butter and put them on top. Considering not using mushrooms last time, just because the dish maybe doesn't need them. Also considering using maple syrup next time, to compliment pretty much everything. I'm eating this right now and drinking an Anchor Steam. Life's almost good.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #652 on: 13 Feb 2010, 12:12 »

The roasted root veggies look really good.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #653 on: 13 Feb 2010, 12:47 »

They were totally the best part of the meal.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #654 on: 13 Feb 2010, 13:20 »

Do you roast them in the pan with the roast?
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #655 on: 13 Feb 2010, 13:42 »

Yeah. My folks bought me a nice deep roasting pan, although it's seriously lacking in the rack department. I borrowed a wire rack and let the roast sit on top of that, and then I just let the veggies lie underneath.

It was an inside round and pretty lean so I had to augment the cooking process with some beef broth. Not ideal but it kept the meat moist.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #656 on: 13 Feb 2010, 13:54 »

Things roasted with roasts are some of my favorite things. It's gotten to the point where, when roasting a chicken, I get like six portobellos and quarter them and roast them with the chicken because I like those maybe more than I like chicken.

Also I like how you can not get away from mass effect two even while eating.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #657 on: 13 Feb 2010, 20:48 »

I'm eating a slice of chocolate and nut tart from my local organic green grocer/cafe, because it's cake for lunch day. The guy behind the counter at the shop admitted he'd never tried it, and he asked me what was in it; I told him "Magic and happiness."

StreetSpirit

• Obscure cultural reference
  • "Type "cookie", you idiot."
    • Last.FM
« Reply #658 on: 13 Feb 2010, 22:14 »

"I just had the strongest memory -- coming home from school and going to the fridge... ice cold bottle of milk... big piece of chocolate cake. Just the simplicity of it... I can't think of anything that'll make me feel that happy again."
-Charles Van Doren, as portrayed by Ralph Fiennes in Quiz Show
"Think you've seen it all? Think again. Outside those doors, we might see anything. We could find new worlds, terrifying monsters, impossible things. And if you come with me... nothing will ever be the same again!"
-The 10th Doctor (doctor who)

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #659 on: 14 Feb 2010, 00:39 »

How are you not the world's most blubberous man, you shitfuck i hate you

He's probably just active. I need to eat around 2,700 calories a day to maintain my current weight and since I actually want to put some on that means I'm eating around 3,200 calories most days. I'm hardly a large man at 5 foot 8 inches either. I think my cousin eats somewhere around 5.5k calories a day now.
Aw man, me too. Pretty much exactly the same thing, except for the height. I've been trying to eat 3200 calories a day, and it is so hard. It would be so much easier if I was going to a residential college, with a 3 meals a day cafeteria, all I could eat. I've lost two pounds each of the last two weeks, putting me at less than 160 pounds and almost 6'2". I'm trying to get up to 180lbs or a bit more, I'm going to have to start going to a buffet every day or something. Maybe protein powder would help, does it have calories or did they do some sort of magic to it to make it 0 calories?

The funny thing is that since I lost two pounds each week, that would average out to 1000 calories low each day, and I know I haven't been that short, so it must be estimating low for me. Then again, I'm doing HIIT three days a week, which consumes more calories than it should for the amount of time it takes.

TL;DR how the hell is more than half the country fat.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #660 on: 14 Feb 2010, 03:54 »

I am eating some leftover spaghetti that my dad made using homemade tomato sauce made out of tomatoes from our garden. Hella oregano and some other stuff. It's the single greatest spaghetti sauce in the known universe, and my god, does it make for exceptional midnight snacking.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #661 on: 14 Feb 2010, 04:23 »

I'm having cake for breakfast at 1 pm. I love sundays.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #662 on: 14 Feb 2010, 05:22 »

If I wake up after noon

Is this a regular occurrence? wtf man stop being so lazy and wake the fuck up

PORKCHOP & SALAD

oo that reminds me last week we had pork chops and a kind of cous-cous salad for dinner. My fiancee and I have started this unstated system where she cooks awesome dinners and I clean up after; she's a much better cook than I am, and I already clean dishes more than she does anyway (because I use dishes more than she does) so this arrangement works great.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2010, 05:27 by jhocking »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #663 on: 14 Feb 2010, 05:42 »

Update: there was a moth in my spaghetti. Talk about buzzkill.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Nodaisho

« Reply #664 on: 14 Feb 2010, 05:50 »

It's 6 o'clock somewhere.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #665 on: 14 Feb 2010, 06:33 »

all bran and fruit with skim milk for breakfast. i need to fight my flabby butt which is slowly starting to grow back :-(

fucking people with your fucking self control, how do you do it. candy is delicious.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #666 on: 14 Feb 2010, 07:29 »

I'm often still asleep at 12 on days when I don't have to be in lectures (basically just Saturdays and every second Thursday). It might be a bit hard for you to remember all the way back to being a student but late nights = late mornings (did I just make my first "JHocking is really old" joke?).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #667 on: 14 Feb 2010, 07:37 »

If I wake up after noon

Yeah, for like 7 days in a row I didn't get up before 6pm. Now I've been doing alright with getting up right around 10am. The problem is that I don't end up being hungry until around 3 or 4pm and I end up eating with my aunt at just past 5 most days.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #668 on: 14 Feb 2010, 10:00 »

Maybe protein powder would help, does it have calories or did they do some sort of magic to it to make it 0 calories?

Nah, protein powders are generally derived from soy or dairy products, usually whey. The higher end whey isolate protein brands usually clock in somewhere around 110-120 calories per 30 grams from what I've seen, and drinking calories is generally easier than eating them. That said, I don't use them. Most of my protein comes from beans 'n' rice (usually in a small home-made burrito), eggs, tuna, cottage cheese and ham sandwiches. I eat enough cottage cheese that cutting some out in favor of pretty big dose protein powder probably wouldn't be too big of a deal nutritionally, but I just don't want to get in the habit of trying to replace meals with a drink, since I already kinda slack on eating enough fruit and vegetables as it is.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2010, 10:03 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #669 on: 14 Feb 2010, 10:15 »

By the way, if you're not regularly eating beans, you should probably give that a shot. I personally never had the gassy issue some people complain of, and most people kinda grow out of that after eating them for long enough anyway. More importantly, beans are cheap as hell, they have protein AND fiber plus they're low fat, so they're definitely good starving college student food. Dry beans have a slightly annoying cook time, but they're dead easy and a decent sized batch made on Sunday usually lasts me until Wednesday.

allison

• Bling blang blong blung
  • i really want a mustache
« Reply #670 on: 14 Feb 2010, 11:32 »

Heart-shaped brownies with pink frosting and red sprinkles!
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #671 on: 14 Feb 2010, 11:48 »

It's like Jeremy Irons drove 18 dump trucks into cute fort cupcake-knox and stole all the cupcakes and then bruce willis had to chase him all over NYC but the Allison had cute cupcakes instead so who cares about the Die Hard franchise anyways anymore I mean really, that last one was kind of garbage. Allison has a nice looking cupcake Bruce Willis tackling a harrier notwithstanding.

Also, properly soaking and cooking beans gets rid of most of the oligosaccharides which are the sugars that your tummy can't digest but your colon bacteria can. Just make sure you observe the proper soaking and cooking times and farts won't be an issue.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #672 on: 14 Feb 2010, 13:39 »

The similarity is... uncanny.

Nodaisho

« Reply #673 on: 14 Feb 2010, 20:00 »

Maybe protein powder would help, does it have calories or did they do some sort of magic to it to make it 0 calories?

Nah, protein powders are generally derived from soy or dairy products, usually whey. The higher end whey isolate protein brands usually clock in somewhere around 110-120 calories per 30 grams from what I've seen, and drinking calories is generally easier than eating them.
So is that a large amount of calories then? I'm not really sure how much protein powder you are supposed to use for each cup of liquid you mix it into.

I've been drinking a lot of milk recently, since it has a good amount of calories without being pure teeth-rotting sugar, I'm pretty good on the protein front, eating a lot of nuts and tuna and chili (although it has beans in it so it isn't really chili but I'm not a chili stickler so I don't give a damn). I just have a hard time stuffing enough down my throat to gain weight. Is it important to not have too much protein, or does it just get sent out the other end if the body can't use it?

It probably helps that I am really stingy and don't do my own shopping, so I never buy junk food (unless you count a soda and a muffin between classes when I haven't eaten all day, but I avoid that). I could barely afford any, and I've got much better things to do with my money.

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #674 on: 14 Feb 2010, 20:11 »

Just made a spicy Sun Dried tomato risotto, with some left over butternut squash, hazelnut and gouda pie on the side.

Lemon curd blueberry tart for desert.

Bitches.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #675 on: 14 Feb 2010, 21:20 »

I made an omelette that didn't end up falling apart and becoming chunky scrambled eggs!

I basically went with phil's steps, cooking some onion and tomato, then pouring the eggs (which I may have forgotten to scramble before putting the stuff on to cook) over the top. About then I thought that some soy sauce might be a good addition, so I put a little bit on the cooking eggs and hoped for the best, before adding some tuna and cheese and folding the whole thing in half.

It is delicious! It broke a little when folding it over, but still is in one piece. Next time I will add more soy sauce to the eggs in teh mixing stage, and maybe cut down all the ingredients, because this thing is huge, and I probably won't finish it.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Nodaisho

« Reply #676 on: 14 Feb 2010, 21:47 »

I just made scrambled eggs, 4 kind of small eggs, a crumbled piece of cheddar cheese, and some cholula chipotle flakes. Need to spread out the flakes more evenly next time, but it is pretty good, and smells great.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #677 on: 14 Feb 2010, 22:35 »

Quote from: Nodaisho link=topic=23467.msg913082#msg913082

So is that a large amount of calories then? I'm not really sure how much protein powder you are supposed to use for each cup of liquid you mix it into.

I just checked out the label of the stuff my brother uses, and it recommends one scoop (the aforementioned 30 grams) to 6-8 ounces of water, so it's pretty comparable to milk as far as calories per ounce goes. Anyway, I think part of the draw of protein powder has to do with some crap about being faster or slower to digest/absorb depending on what type of protein it's being derived from-- I guess lifters are trying to make sure that there's always some protein in their system so their bodies can recover fast. I don't honestly know how much I buy into that kinda thing or whether that would really have any benefits-- like I said, I don't personally use this stuff. In any case it doesn't sound terribly applicable to what you're trying to do.

As for whether it's possible to have too much protein, the jury was mixed on that one last I heard. Basically, your body can't store excess protein, so excess is pretty bad if you have kidney disease, but if you're healthy your body should be able to pass it on its own. With that said, I've heard before that there's a correlation between countries with really high protein intake and increased kidney disease, but I have no idea how accurate that is since it is falls under the category of "Something I heard that one time." And of course, there's always the bugbear of whether we're talking causation or mere correlation.

Regardless, just upping your protein consumption alone probably isn't the best route to getting your calories up, particularly since most people probably get more than enough protein anyway. Some decent carbs and fats may be in order, like pastas and avocado.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2010, 22:40 by Alex C »

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #678 on: 15 Feb 2010, 00:41 »

I'm starting to feel kind of gross about my body and my jeans are starting to get a little bit tighter.  I definitely need to start eating better....nothing too drastic but I should definitely cute out a lot of the junk in my diet.

Has anyone here gone from eating quite unhealthily to eating less unhealthily, how difficult is it?  How exactly should I change my shopping habits to help me eat better?

Nodaisho

« Reply #679 on: 15 Feb 2010, 01:05 »

@ alex: Maybe, but I'm not sure I'm eating enough protein. I tend to eat a lot of bread normally, and not much meat or beans or nuts unless I force myself to. I was mainly considering using the protein powder as a partial replacement for the ovaltine I'm drinking to make the milk palatable. Especially since I am wanting to start drinking a lot more of my calories. I'm forcing myself to eat as it is, which is unpleasant, and I'm still losing weight. Do you know of anything that's good for that, if you don't recommend protein powder? I am trying to gain about 20 pounds of muscle, probably more like 25 or 30 if I try to lose some more fat as well. I really ought to talk to my doctor when I can, but I don't think I have a check-up scheduled any time soon, and I'm not even sure how much standard family doctors have to know about specialized nutrition. I'm not sure if that is the right term, but I'm in America and having a hard time not heading towards underweight, that's pretty damn special.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #680 on: 15 Feb 2010, 13:30 »

Has anyone here gone from eating quite unhealthily to eating less unhealthily, how difficult is it?  How exactly should I change my shopping habits to help me eat better?

I dunno how much cooking you do from scratch but start doing that. My weight and health have both improved since I stopped cooking from boxes. Don't go shopping around mealtime, either - do it after you've eaten, preferably mid-afternoon. Only shop a couple of days in advance, unless you see really good prices on bulk stuff (meat is usually the prime example of this - I got like three racks of ribs just chillin' in my freezer right now). Buy stuff like fruits and veggies and keep those around as snacks.

If you're having trouble doing this, start planning meals a couple of days in advance. Read cookbooks and find something that interests you. Look up some blogs. It's easy enough once you know what to look for.

Bodybuilding is so weird you guys why are you talking about protein shakes and shit

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #681 on: 15 Feb 2010, 13:46 »

If I'm runnin slow on breakfast I'll make a smoothie with a bunch of fruit and yogurt and either walnuts or protein powder, just to keep me solid through my class and also keep me from dying from having hella coffee in my stomach and nothing else.

Also sometimes after I go rock climbin cuz I'm tryna get ripped

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #682 on: 15 Feb 2010, 14:34 »

I'm eating dark chocolate digestives (not much healthy here) and I noticed a funny thing when emptying the packet into the biscuit barrel - the first half have the chocolate pointing down towards the middle, and then they switch to be the other way.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Nodaisho

« Reply #683 on: 15 Feb 2010, 16:53 »

Bodybuilding is so weird you guys why are you talking about protein shakes and shit
Of course, because someone that wants to weigh about 180-190 pounds at 6'2" is obviously trying to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger. I'm tired of being weak, slow, and quick to tire, and since I don't have the opportunities that previous generations had to get ridiculously strong (although I can't say I'm unhappy that I'm not going to be mining coal starting at 16 and ending when I die from Black Lung), I am using weights and gymnastic equipment and running. I would much rather just transplant my consciousness into a T1000 chassis, but Cyberdyne won't sell me one, so I'm stuck with this meatsack.

Ikrik, one suggestion I have heard a lot is make something big that will last a while, pots of rice or beans are good, something that you can eat pretty regularly most of the week after just cooking once. That way you are more likely to eat healthily than if you had to cook healthy three times a day.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #684 on: 15 Feb 2010, 17:14 »

potatoes are great because they're cheap as fuck, easy to make into a myriad of different foods, they last forever, and they have very little substance so you can be "full" but not necessarily filled with fat and salt and other bad stuff. Obviously, you can add that stuff if you want (like me) but if you're trying to lose weight instead of gain it, I'd advise against it.

also, what Keiffer said about smoothies. Smoothies are basically liquid jesus and they make everything better, including you!

damn now i'm hungry
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #685 on: 15 Feb 2010, 21:40 »

Fuck yeah bread and butter. Bread was fresh yesterday and so it's still damn good today. I have eaten half a stick of butter this evening on bread. First I had french bread, now I had 2 white roll.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #686 on: 15 Feb 2010, 21:56 »

Okay I just had some pasta shells with velveeta, ground beef and rotal diced tomatoes and green chilies. Semi Homemade's Sandra Dee would be proud. (I hate that woman and that show, fyi)

I mean other than it was really rich for all that velveeta its was decent. Spiced the beef with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic. I need to replace the batteries on my camera. Since I'm home most every day now I've been cooking up a storm.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

ibrahimdelil

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #687 on: 16 Feb 2010, 03:18 »

kadınbudu köfte (lady's thigh meatballs dkjdlfjdl lol)

« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2010, 07:18 by ibrahimdelil »
When I am with you, we stay up all night.
When you're not here, I can't go to sleep.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #688 on: 16 Feb 2010, 06:00 »

Bu resim mailce.com sitesinde bulunmaktadir?

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #689 on: 16 Feb 2010, 06:01 »

That is to say, don't hotlink images re-host them on one of the plethora of free image hosting sites.

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #690 on: 16 Feb 2010, 10:51 »

I wish I was good at putting stuff with pasta and having it taste really nice.
I made a roast pumpkin pasta with roast cherry toms and basil but it was really boring and needed something. Also I made a napoletana sauce and tossed pasta in it with sliced ham but that was pretty boring too.
Now I am going home to reheat leftovers of these pastas for dinner.
I am not particularly excited.

Ally, darling. Cheese. I am pretty sure that if you made both of those again but mixed a lot of either Gouda or Blue cheese in with the pumpkin thing, and threw a mess of chevre into the napoletana, you'd be psyched.

Also, add white wine to the pumpkin sauce, and red to the other. Promise.

And more salt and pepper.
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2010, 15:24 by Professor Snuggles »

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #691 on: 16 Feb 2010, 13:54 »

Kiff you are a godsend.

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #692 on: 16 Feb 2010, 15:25 »

U kno I gotchu babe

Theriandros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #693 on: 16 Feb 2010, 15:44 »

Just ladled myself a large portion of a soup I've been making mostly out of potatoes, chopped pork loin, a bunch of jarred nopalitos, and a hint of cumin.

Shit's delicious.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #694 on: 16 Feb 2010, 19:59 »

Dinner was a dish made of the following:

-Sauteed onions
-Left-over baked chicken
-Polenta

Really hearty stuff, and I'll probably be having this for every non-breakfast meal this week (concert ticket for this friday forgoed the buying of new groceries)

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #695 on: 16 Feb 2010, 20:16 »

I just had to stop myself from doing anything fancy with dinner. I was in the process of preparing to put meat in pan for sauce and caught myself about to start dicing onions and peppers to make the sauce more interesting.

Fuck that, shit came from a jar and it was totally food.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #696 on: 16 Feb 2010, 21:13 »

I take a lot of joy from dicing, especially onions. I can dice up a onion in less than a minute now.

Earlier tonight I took the easy way out in terms of meat. I just put a pork chop in a bag with some store-bought "Memories Of Dad's Grill" marinade (thanks, President's Choice" and then I grilled the shit out of it on my Foreman grill. Now I'm eating jujubes. The "sour" kind. ~welcom 2 da good lyfe~

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #697 on: 16 Feb 2010, 21:39 »

Yeah, I'm hella uncoordinated, so I actually just ended up buying celery and shit all the time just so I could have cheap stuff to chop up for extra practice and snacks. It's paid off pretty well though, and I'm kinda proud of how quickly I can cook up basic shit now.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #698 on: 16 Feb 2010, 22:10 »

Fish n' Chips
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Van donk III

• Furry furrier