THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 11:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ways to stay awake  (Read 16419 times)

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
Re: Ways to stay awake
« Reply #100 on: 27 Aug 2009, 02:24 »

Break your heart into a thousand glass shards.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

phooey

• FIGHT YOU
  • prisencolinensinainciusol
« Reply #101 on: 27 Aug 2009, 12:58 »

I'm serious, though, why do you have to stay awake?  Just recently I had a lot of jetlag and ended up staying up for about 45 hours straight.  I wouldn't recommend it more than once in a lifetime if it can be avoided.  I'm a huge proponent of power naps - chug a caffeinated drink of your choice, fall asleep, and wake up 20-40 minutes later just as the caffeine starts taking effect.  That and a shower, and I'm ready for whatever the day throws at me.

I'm still pretty young though, so words like 'circadian rhythm' and 'beauty sleep' don't often cross my mind.  Basically I live (on the edge/like a feral creature).

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #102 on: 27 Aug 2009, 16:27 »

Power naps always sounded like a misnomer to me.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

phooey

• FIGHT YOU
  • prisencolinensinainciusol
« Reply #103 on: 27 Aug 2009, 18:47 »

Only because you've never experienced the power.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #104 on: 27 Aug 2009, 19:52 »

The caffeine nap

A caffeine nap is a short nap that is preceded by the intake of caffeine. In a driving simulator and a series of studies, Horne and Reyner investigated the effects of cold air, radio, a break with no nap, a nap, caffeine pill vs. placebo and a short nap preceded by caffeine on mildly sleep-deprived subjects. The last mentioned was by far the most effective in reducing driving "incidents" and subjective sleepiness. Caffeine in coffee takes up to a half-hour to have an alerting effect, hence "a short (<15min) nap will not be compromised if it is taken immediately after the coffee

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #105 on: 27 Aug 2009, 20:01 »

i've also heard about how having coffee or tea right before a short nap is the best way to feel great after no sleep because the coffee takes a little while to kick in and you wake up right when it finally does so you get up feeling like a million bucks. or if not a million then, like, a hundred at least.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #106 on: 30 Aug 2009, 08:44 »

ok I completely fucked my sleeping pattern up doing this garage sale on Saturday

I got home from work at about 4 am on Saturday morning, set up for the garage sale, and wound up just staying up for most of the day so now I'm in this weird sleeping pattern where I don't really want to go to bed until about midday and I wake up at six pm, thinking about just staying up another 24 hours and collapsing at about dawn tomorrow morning to get shit back on track (it is 2 am here now)

alternatively thinking about setting up some kind of 28 hour day so doing days at uni during the week and work at night on weekends will be a bit easier.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

jtheory

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • overthink backscatter
« Reply #107 on: 30 Aug 2009, 16:01 »

My tiny baby daughter was born just a little while ago.  So I have not been on these forums for a while, and I have been experimenting occasionally with very little sleep (usually she's pretty good, but sometimes...).  But now I am back for a few minutes!

Though really, it's something I've done way too often anyway....  My body requires a fairly normal amount of sleep, but it hardly ever really *demands* it.  I can pull one all-nighter without ever really feeling sleepy as long as I'm occupied... the only thing I notice is that my eyes feel dry.  So I go without sleep every once in a while just because I'm wrapped up in something.  Two nights without sleep and it gets painful, though....

My main trick is continuous eating -- avoiding large meals, avoiding junk food or anything that'll give me a sugar rush/crash.  You're asking more from your body, so it's even more important to treat it well and nourish it properly.
Avoiding alcohol and caffeine.  Seriously, I can't have caffeine if I'm going without sleep because it doesn't make me any more awake; it just really fucks with my mental cohesion... my thoughts just go flying every which way, and if I'm up because I'm working on something requiring focus (or driving...) the scattered concentration is bad.  What's the point of being up if I can't think straight?

Things to do for dealing with the next day:
* make to-do lists.  I'm noticeably a bit stupid with less sleep, and easily get sidetracked from whatever I ought to be getting done.
* take an extra shower when possible, and (gentlemen) shave if you have any stubble at all.  It helps to feel clean and "normal"... dunno why, but avoiding feeling greasy and dirty really helps...
* light exercise (like walking the dog), doing some stretching.  Spend more time standing if possible, as long as you're comfortable.  Don't spend time in an uncomfortable position -- it might help keep you away for a little while, but it's also wearing you out more.
* as mentioned above, eat regularly, and also stay well-hydrated (not with highly-sugared drinks, though...).
* avoid tasks requiring extended concentration -- long-distance driving is the big one; the forced concentration starts to actually hurt after a while when I'm short on sleep.  If I have to do this, I sing, loudly and constantly, and keep my body moving (drumming on the wheel, tapping feet, etc.), eat constantly, and stop for breaks whenever I can (maybe to nap, but more often just to walk around thinking nothing but getting the blood moving).  I've had to go as far as slapping myself continuously in the face to stay on the road... that feeling truly sucks and driving while *that* tired should probably be illegal.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #108 on: 30 Aug 2009, 20:24 »

get some sleep, all of you
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up