THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 23:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: saddest video games moments (spoilers of course)  (Read 39864 times)

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
Re: saddest video games moments (spoilers of course)
« Reply #50 on: 23 Jul 2009, 10:53 »

The saddest thing I ever saw in a video game was something your character has to do...

You have to kill the companion cube in Portal.  Your only beloved friend...
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #51 on: 23 Jul 2009, 22:36 »

When my Sims realised the ladder to get out of the pool was gone but chose death rather than pull themselves out.
Tragic.

Geekdumb

• Not quite a lurker
    • Geek-dumb
« Reply #52 on: 23 Jul 2009, 22:44 »

When I went back much later to finally play Maniac Mansion all the way through and saw that horrible ending.  It was definitely not worth the time and effort.
Matt

Geek-dumb.com Hyphenated for her pleasure.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #53 on: 24 Jul 2009, 12:55 »

Aeris' death did sadden me - but the sadness was quickly replaced with: "Wait, FUCK!! I had some really good equipment on that little bitch!  Fuck!  When was the last time I saved?!  SHIIIIIIT!"

I'm pretty sure that close to accurate.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #55 on: 24 Jul 2009, 14:23 »

The tragic sound of the death of a Tamagotchi.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #56 on: 24 Jul 2009, 20:00 »

I never heard that sound.  I would wake up one morning, eager to play with mine, and find it dead in a pile of its own feces

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #57 on: 24 Jul 2009, 20:55 »

Am I honestly the only one who thinks the end of Ocarina of Time was sad?  Friggin' Zelda is like, "Oh, thanks for saving me and the entire world.  I'm now going to send you back in time where you're a little kid who gets bullied by midgets and has no girlfriend and no prospects of acquiring one.  Sorry!"  Friggin' BS.
Keep a coolin' baby.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #58 on: 24 Jul 2009, 21:46 »

But then he went to Termina, which was awesome.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #59 on: 25 Jul 2009, 06:29 »

Talking about Zelda: In Majora's Mask, when you finished Kafei's sidequest to get the mask, and there's like 2 minutes left before the moon crashes, there's this music that made me wait for like 30 seconds doing nothing but realising that "shit, the world will be coming to an end".
Unrelated note: I only finished the game last summer although I had it for like 7 years because the moon scares (and still does) the shit out of me. I still make nightmares.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

variable_star

• Furry furrier
    • BATTLE MASTERS!
« Reply #60 on: 25 Jul 2009, 10:44 »

Ultima: The False Prophet.

Since its release, I've been a avid supporter of gargoyle rights and civil liberties.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #61 on: 25 Jul 2009, 11:11 »

Towards the climax of Wind Waker, where Ganon is making his speech about how he coveted the wind that blew across Hyrule, because the wind that blew through the desert only brought death.

That real exploration of Ganon's psyche there, answering 'why does he do it?' about one of the most two dimensional bad guy characters ever, was a pretty profound moment for me.

Then, y'know, Link stabs him right in his face, which I found similarly traumatic.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #62 on: 26 Jul 2009, 19:41 »

Man, Wind Waker is one of the single most underrated games ever. Easily the best character interactions of any Zelda game, probably even any Nintendo game.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #63 on: 27 Jul 2009, 07:08 »

Talking about Zelda: In Majora's Mask, when you finished Kafei's sidequest to get the mask, and there's like 2 minutes left before the moon crashes, there's this music that made me wait for like 30 seconds doing nothing but realising that "shit, the world will be coming to an end".

FFFFFF YES

The wedding mask side quest.

Fucking waiting for Kafei to get back while the earth rumbles and shakes as the goddamn moon is just RIGHT THERE and he finally gets there and they get to be together after all that work and then END OF THE FUCKING WORLD.

Oh man.

Another thing: The "You're the Inspiration" level of Elite Beat Agents. Just going along having a grand ol' time doing silly things like helping Leonardo da Vinci impress the model for the Mona Lisa and then I get to "helping a little girl set up the perfect Christmas for her dead father" and oh god I'm not crying right now I swear abloobloobloo
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Dissy

• The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #64 on: 28 Jul 2009, 10:06 »

you mean, you didn't let the world end?  I did that mini quest 3 times just to hear the music
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #65 on: 28 Jul 2009, 10:33 »

Are you crazy? I was too scared to let the world end. Just hearing the rumbling made me wet my pants. I mean, I'm kind of curious about what happens, but I'm really too scared to even check on youtube what happens. I was hiding behind my couch when the game finished and in the ending scene we see the moon talking with those flashing red eyes. I was incredbly scared everytime in the Stone Temple, when after reversing it, you had to jump some platforms and you could see the moon in the abyss. That game literally traumatized me.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #66 on: 28 Jul 2009, 10:34 »

The 'end of the world' music in MM regardless was pretty upsetting. Sitting up on a mountain, watching the fireworks, while you can actually see the moon inching into your view was pretty depressing stuff.

Watching the world end was something I felt I had to do just to see if it really happened, which it did, and it also ranks up there as one of my saddest moments, I guess.

Faren22

• Not quite a lurker
  • Engineer is credit to team!
« Reply #67 on: 02 Aug 2009, 20:47 »

The end of Twilight Princess, where Midna breaks the only link between your two worlds and you realize that you will probably never see your game-long partner again.
Also in Majora's Mask, where you do all this work to reunite Kafei and Anju, and they huddle together on the bed while the moon is about to fall on them. This eerie, tragic music is playing, and I felt terrible teleporting back in time and leaving them to die. ...That seems to be a universal one, doesn't it?

(This might not count, but I played a Halo 3 online game where our team was up against four five-star generals. I had to turn off the game and walk away because we got destroyed so badly.)
It costs four hundred thousand dollars to maintain this profile... for twelve seconds.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #68 on: 03 Aug 2009, 00:24 »

Faren, they literally were talking about that scene in MM for like the last few posts before you. I do agree on Twilight Princess, twas a bit of a sad goodbye.

Another thing: The "You're the Inspiration" level of Elite Beat Agents. Just going along having a grand ol' time doing silly things like helping Leonardo da Vinci impress the model for the Mona Lisa and then I get to "helping a little girl set up the perfect Christmas for her dead father" and oh god I'm not crying right now I swear abloobloobloo

Fuck I wasn't expecting that at all when I finally got the game and holy shit my brother had no idea why I started crying in the middle of playing my DS (headphones were on) on the couch next to him.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

phooey

• FIGHT YOU
  • prisencolinensinainciusol
« Reply #69 on: 03 Aug 2009, 03:11 »

FFFFFF YES

All of you are missing the saddest part of that game!  The saddest part is realizing that the butler's son is the tree that looks like a deku scrub that you went past in the beginning of the game.  This comes to a climax at the bit in the credits when the butler is just paying his respects to his son, who has inexplicably turned into an inanimate object.  The father looks to be crying.

Other sad games include Wind Waker (noooo hyruuuule), Panzer Dragoon Orta, Mario 64 (a cake? really.), and yes, Shadow of the Colossus.  I spent about 20 minutes trying to make it to the girl in the playable ending sequence. 

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #70 on: 03 Aug 2009, 08:38 »

Holy shit. I totally forgot about that part. Oh man, the hardest part was when I had to explain what happened to the butler's son to my neighbour without crying... What a dark, sad game.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #71 on: 03 Aug 2009, 10:36 »

I finished Mass Effect for the first time lastnight and man if I didn't feel pretty down when I talked Saren out of his evil deeds long enough to shoot himself.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #72 on: 03 Aug 2009, 12:40 »

I finished Mass Effect for the first time lastnight and man if I didn't feel pretty down when I talked Saren out of his evil deeds long enough to shoot himself.

Really? Whatever pity I felt for Saren was gone when he became a goddamn ultra-husk. I was glad I got him to shoot himself because I did not want to kill him twice.  But afterwards, when you think about Saren's fate over the course of the game, it is pretty sad to see him manipulated like that.

But when you had to leave one of your crew members to die in a nuclear explosion I felt a lot sadder, be it Kaidan or Ashley.

Others already mentioned: Fallout 3, return to Vault 101 and HL2 Episode 2, the ending. Maybe also Deus Ex, when you find Paul dead, and Prey, when you have to kill your girlfriend. I can't remember much else.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #73 on: 03 Aug 2009, 20:11 »

The ending of The Darkness. Fucking.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #74 on: 03 Aug 2009, 22:12 »

WHAT?!  That band was awesome.

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #75 on: 04 Aug 2009, 00:03 »

They were quite a bit of fun, weren't they?

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #76 on: 05 Aug 2009, 21:00 »

Another sad thing for me is when you come across the bodies with a cover draped over them in Left 4 Dead, especially after listening to the commentary.

Durb Durb Durb

• Plantmonster
« Reply #77 on: 05 Aug 2009, 21:37 »

I always felt that the Proto Man bits in the early Mega Man games were kinda sad. Then The Protomen put out their "Hope Rides Alone" album and it became a veritable emotional event.

NotAFanOfFenders

• even furrier
« Reply #78 on: 06 Aug 2009, 15:08 »

WHAT?!  That band was awesome.

Which means that their end(ing) was sad.

Right?

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #79 on: 06 Aug 2009, 18:23 »

I dunno.  All I know about The Darkness was that they were an absolutely outrageously gay British band.  I think.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #80 on: 06 Aug 2009, 22:19 »

I thought they were the Skinniest Band in England?

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #81 on: 06 Aug 2009, 23:07 »

One does not preclude the other.

phooey

• FIGHT YOU
  • prisencolinensinainciusol
« Reply #82 on: 07 Aug 2009, 00:02 »

Hey yall I forgot in the end of Ico right before the final boss battle, when you're in the same room you started out in and you have to kill all of those shadow creatures.  This is the same as it usually is, but the shadow creatures make no move to hurt you.  And they came out of the sarcophogi.  And they have horns.  And they're proximate in size an shape to yourself.

Basically you're killing innocent shadow creatures that used to be horned boys themselves.  And that's terrible.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #83 on: 11 Aug 2009, 14:04 »

A bit besides the topic, but Fallout 3 - The Pit just gave me my hardest moral choice in a videogame ever. *spoiler* Kidnap the little girl to be used in an experiment, or help the slavers slaughter the slaves? It just felt very wrong when I headshot the mother.

A traumatic moment is in Fallout 2 when the nice, friendly and intelligent Deathclaws are wiped out. That's like BFG dying.

Also, Fallout 1 when you're not let back into the Vault and you shoot the overseer and stuff doesn't work out the way you had hoped. Seriously, seing him walk off like that into the wilderness was fucking traumatic.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

danman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #84 on: 12 Aug 2009, 12:51 »

I would say the death of the Deathclaws in F2 (the reason why i never returned there after the quest) and Alexei Stukov dying in Starcraft:Brood Wars.
EDIT: Also the death of Master in F1 by suicide when he thinks mutants are sterile since in fact they are not.
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2009, 14:37 by danman »
"The pyramid is opening!"
"Which one?"
"The one with the ever-widening hole in it!"
                -- Firesign Theater, "How Can You Be In Two Places At
                   Once When You're Not Anywhere At All"

Windyo

• Not quite a lurker
  • Musicomanical geek
    • Raging Stillness
« Reply #85 on: 12 Aug 2009, 12:56 »

For me the ultimate videogame Bad End willl alway stay the end of shadow of the colossus. You've been there, you've done that, you've become attached, and just at that final moment, the developpers sweep everything away. Horribly sad.
"Without music, life would be a mistake." ~Nietzsche

larryfatguy

« Reply #86 on: 14 Aug 2009, 17:48 »

crisis core ffvii, when cloud finds zack cover in blood, cue the depressing japanese music. i cried like a little girl. i still get tears in my eyes when i see the save data.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #87 on: 15 Aug 2009, 03:07 »

Man I have not even played most of these games but the descriptions make me sad.

Oh, I should probably contribute. Umm...

Oh man this is gonna sound so totally stupid. But the intro sequence to MechWarrior4. It opens with the palace under attack and the head of the royal guard comes out of the hangar and his best friend takes a facefull of missiles while he's yelling for her to bail out. And then starts making calls to command, and then to the whole army, only to be answered by static. Suddenly he turns a corner and comes face to face with a whole lance of enemies picking off fleeing unarmed vehicles. And he makes a grim transmission to "any receiving units", that he will delay them as long as possible. And then he goes wading in and ahhhhhhhhh.

I just watched it again on youtube. Still makes me teary-eyed.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #88 on: 16 Aug 2009, 06:26 »

When the creators of Final Fantasy decided we'd rather spend more time watching cutscenes than playing the game.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #89 on: 16 Aug 2009, 23:08 »

When Hideo Kojima decided we'd rather spend more time watching cutscenes than playing the game.

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #90 on: 17 Aug 2009, 11:45 »

When Tassadar crashes his carrier into the Overmind at the end of StarCraft.
Keep a coolin' baby.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #91 on: 17 Aug 2009, 17:47 »

GoW2 Dom's wife.

CArmine was in the first one, his little brother shows up in the second one, I knew instanlly carmine was the "Kenny"  of the GoW series.  Also carmine 2 mentioned he too had a little brother, carmine 3.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #92 on: 24 Aug 2009, 16:32 »

While it wouldn't be something most people feel sad about, I have to say the revelation of 'whodunit' in Prototype. The whole story: The main character makes up on a morgue slab, finds that he was amnesia and freaky superpowers, goes on a quest for finding out who made him this way, kills thousands of people and has the whole of Manhattan island going to hell in the progress, and then he finds out that it was ultimately the man he was himself who was responsible for his infection in the end. That makes you, the protagonist, the ultimate villain. Whatever the other bad guys you killed have done, your actions can never be justified.

It kinda puts being the most powerful person to have ever lived (even in fiction) in perspective.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #93 on: 25 Aug 2009, 01:09 »

Was that a direct quote.

I think.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

danman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #94 on: 25 Aug 2009, 03:55 »

That makes you, the protagonist, the ultimate villain. Whatever the other bad guys you killed have done, your actions can never be justified.

I do not think so (I did not play it myself but know about the game)
He was a researcher , and the army wanted to put him down to eliminate the traces of the research. Breaking the vial with the virus to kill himself , and the bastards who tried to kill him was something most people intelligent enough (to realise they have no chance escaping alive) would do.  The rest was simply his good luck, that he survived the infection.
The ultimate bad guys were of course those who commisioned to the company to invent such a virus.
"The pyramid is opening!"
"Which one?"
"The one with the ever-widening hole in it!"
                -- Firesign Theater, "How Can You Be In Two Places At
                   Once When You're Not Anywhere At All"

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #95 on: 25 Aug 2009, 05:22 »

That makes you, the protagonist, the ultimate villain. Whatever the other bad guys you killed have done, your actions can never be justified.

I do not think so (I did not play it myself but know about the game)
He was a researcher , and the army wanted to put him down to eliminate the traces of the research. Breaking the vial with the virus to kill himself , and the bastards who tried to kill him was something most people intelligent enough (to realise they have no chance escaping alive) would do.  The rest was simply his good luck, that he survived the infection.
The ultimate bad guys were of course those who commisioned to the company to invent such a virus.

Not entirely correct: What actually happened at Penn Station is that Alex got cornered by Blackwatch agents, panicked, and broke the vial. This was not him being suicidal, but it was him thinking "If I have to go, so does everyone else", which is entirely unforgivable. He was then shot by the Blackwatch agents, and died. The virus that he released consumed him and took the form of his body. He wasn't Alex Mercer anymore, he was the virus. I don't know if you can call it good luck how he 'survived' in virus form; he didn't seem all to happy about it himself.

There are two sides to this story, though: While Alex Mercer was the 'bottom line' responsible for the release of the virus, as without his actions there would be no outbreak, there is also a 'top line' responsible, as without their actions there would be no virus at all. Because there should always be some justification for your actions in the game, at the end of the game you kill the top line person responsible: General Randall. It all began with testing the virus's predecessor in Hope, Idaho, and after that went horribly wrong, Randall decided to keep the two people who survived the Hope outbreak, Elizabeth Greene and her child, for research. "The mother and child are now military assets." Without that decision the virus would have been stopped entirely, and there would be no GENTEK or Elizabeth Greene.

But the saddest thing in this story is that everyone else's actions can be justified by some point of view. Director McMullen of GENTEK saw the unlimited potential of the virus: it could be used to "cure every ailment known to man". On the other hand, it could also incite it. That's why Blackwatch decided to pull the plug on the project; it was too dangerous. The sacrifice of a few lives are for the good of many, so they killed everyone involved. Unfortunately, that backfired on them, and Mercer released the virus in Manhattan. The Alex virus that became of this, started his killing spree for knowledge. He only wanted to find out who was responsible. Blackwatch and the USMC pulled out everything they had to stop him, and can you blame them? The Alex virus was a one-man army that would stop at nothing to get what he wanted. Of course they wanted him dead. Then the Alex virus released Elizabeth Greene, after which all hell breaks loose. Can you blame Greene? She's not acting consciously, "her brain was fried by the virus". But then, as the infection progresses, it becomes clear that this virus is different from the one in Hope, Idaho. It has a longer incubation period before actually zombiefying the infected, and it's much more contagious too. It becomes clear that the only way of completely stopping the virus is nuking the entire island of Manhattan. General Randall sets out to do just this. But the Alex virus interferes again, kills the general, and detonates the nuke at a safe distance. They say that, now that Greene and the Supreme Hunter are dead, the heart has been cut out of the infection, and the infected aren't as 'driven' and can be killed easily. But the researchers  know that eventually everyone will get infected, and that there is no hope for saving Manhattan.

Wow, that was long. The whole game is really one big tragedy if you look closely. I'm wondering what happens in Prototype 2.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #96 on: 25 Aug 2009, 17:03 »

After my goody two shoes regulator character in Fallout 3 reestablished law and order again in the Vault in the nicest way possible, he was sent of regardless.

I was pretty sad when I realized the most I could do was not finish Fallout 3.  I mean, I'd bought it on computer, it's not like I could return it.  They'd suckered me in good and hard.

I was sad when Black Isle got disbanded, I was sad when I found out Bethesda was making Fallout 3 (turns out I was right) instead of the obvious Bioware or Obsidian.  But I've never really been sad about events that happened in a video game.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #97 on: 25 Aug 2009, 17:46 »

The realization that you weren't playing Alex Mercer, you were playing the virus that consumed him, really made me take a step back and reevaluate the entire story.

In retrospect, Prototype is probably one of the best games I've played in recent memory.

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #98 on: 25 Aug 2009, 19:47 »

Majora's Mask is similar in how interpretation perspective works.

After all, your quest is to save the world of Termina, and ultimately you do. But in the process, you set back time dozens of times and the problems of the populace with them. No matter what you do, you can save the world, but you're powerless to save people from themselves.

:-(

Wasteroo

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • RMB RMB RMB RMB
    • my music
« Reply #99 on: 30 Aug 2009, 14:53 »

Didn't Captain Price survive, and participate in that airplane bonus mission at the end of CoD4?
I have a huge hillbilly boner for banjos
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up