- 8 (20.5%)
study music theory because there's some potential there
- 17 (43.6%)
genius
- 4 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: 14 Aug 2009, 13:52

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is My Music Pretentious?  (Read 50230 times)

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
Re: Is My Music Pretentious?
« Reply #150 on: 11 Aug 2009, 12:59 »

Are you trying to say that you need to drink alcohol to have a good time dude because that is not cool

also note how practically everything in the world worth doing is hyponymous with "doing whatever the fuck you feel like" so don't feel restricted or anything by my judgement of you.
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2009, 13:02 by Hat »
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #151 on: 11 Aug 2009, 13:12 »

well "i'm sorry that your idea of unwinding from the stress and minutia of everyday life is to do whatever the fuck you feel like and enjoy yourself instead of doing whatever the fuck you feel like and enjoying yourself" isn't particularly coherent so you'll have to excuse me for failing to remix your sentence that way.

to address your concern from further up this page, i'm being sarcastic and glib because this whole conversation is super dumb and everyone, myself included, is creating these false dichotomies with like no room for any leeway and it's completely ridiculous. normally "please be polite" is my motto but mostly i just don't have the energy to do it in this thread. sorry!

also i had a super fun pair of weekends and now i'm mostly just unwinding and detoxing so actually life is quite pleasant but i appreciate the concern.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #152 on: 11 Aug 2009, 13:21 »

dude you are arguing with an idiot here I don't know what a false dichotomy is maybe use a dumbed down version when talking to me like "bullshit distinctions" or something
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #153 on: 11 Aug 2009, 13:39 »

ok now i'm confused. subjectivity is the only thing that's relevant in a debate of this nature. it's personal preference, more or less.

Music taste is personal preference. But the elements of music that make it what it is can be objectively defined and described.

But I suppose what I was really saying was "jeez khar i think you're kind of being an asshole by refusing to return the respect i've shown you by trying to post coherent arguments on a constant basis instead of restating your opinion".

I mean, music theory is a set of designations. That is A Fact. If all musical sound was shifted up or down a certain distance, the relationships between notes would not alter. This is also A Fact. Music theory does not have to be a limiting factor when it comes to composition and improvisation. Another Fact, since a musician is free to ignore theory if they choose to do so. If they are limited by theory, then they are probably not creative in the first place, as they allow themselves to be restricted by designations.

Basically what I am saying with my argument is "I think music theory is a good thing and here are some facts about music theory that support my claim".
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2009, 15:30 by MadassAlex »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #154 on: 11 Aug 2009, 15:05 »

a musician is free to ignore theory if they choose to do so. If they are limited by theory, then they are probably not creative in the first place

After all, they can produce a new theory to suit their inclinations if the old one no longer fits.  Oh yes, so they did! - both Schoenberg and Hindemith designed new theories to suit the music they wanted to write (and wrote books on them), as did Bartók (who didn't).  And probably lots of people I know less about.  As far as I can see, though, Stockhausen took Khar's view (but also went pretty much barking mad - this may be unrelated). 

Allowing yourself to be limited by nineteenth-century music theory (I used to have a copy of Ebenezer Prout's 12-volume work on it, which I now see goes for $50 a volume - bother!) is about as admirable as arguing about nineteenth-century grammarian's rules like the split infinitive or dangling preposition.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #155 on: 12 Aug 2009, 00:20 »

What a ridiculous argument. Why did we even have this argument?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #156 on: 12 Aug 2009, 04:46 »

I think music theory is fantastic. What are we talking about?

All those little squiggles and things are so pretty.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #157 on: 12 Aug 2009, 04:47 »

If the tails are hanging down you can draw little ears on them and imagine them being tiny musical cats.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #158 on: 12 Aug 2009, 07:06 »

if they're pointing up, draw ears on them anyway and say they're vampire cats.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #159 on: 12 Aug 2009, 14:38 »

i have a new musical theory i'd like to run by you guys.

it's fairly simple and follows only three rules:

1) all notes must be followed by a lower note, never higher* **
2)*unless there is a blast beat in between. blast beats are the only way to reset back to a higher note.
3) all songs must be about either kittens or revolution, but never both. this is important.

it will revolutionize the music industry.

** an equivilant note would also be acceptable, i guess
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Zingoleb

« Reply #160 on: 12 Aug 2009, 20:25 »

After you take the industry by storm and make this the new default, I will overthrow you by releasing my breakthrough album, "Revolutionary Kittens".

Retrospectre

• Curry sauce
« Reply #161 on: 13 Aug 2009, 05:01 »

I'll just say that I find music theory confusing and scary and that makes me dislike it.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #162 on: 13 Aug 2009, 05:12 »

So Jens, you're saying people can generally easily correlate the idea of moving in one direction with making higher sounds and moving in the other direction with making lower sounds.

Fascinating.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #163 on: 13 Aug 2009, 15:28 »

Now, see, that rips Yngwie Malmsteens fucking legs off and pisses up the stumps.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #164 on: 13 Aug 2009, 22:04 »

So Jens, you're saying people can generally easily correlate the idea of moving in one direction with making higher sounds and moving in the other direction with making lower sounds.

Fascinating.

I haven't actually watched what Jens linked but yes, that is a fascinating concept when you think about it. Why do we think of a low note as being lower in space? Or a high note as being up in the air? I would have presumed this was just cultural conditioning but if not that really is an interesting idea!
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #165 on: 13 Aug 2009, 22:33 »

Also, I think what the guy is trying to show in that particular video is that in him moving in one direction everyone could have sung a note that was different (but higher), but even though he didn't specify the next note, the audience all sang the same one. And that no matter where he did it the audiences were able to do that.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #166 on: 14 Aug 2009, 10:25 »

Maybe that is a function of group psychology? What happens when you do that test on individuals? What happens when you do that test in a group of, say, Chinese traditional musicians?
I mean I liked the clip and all (well, the Bobby McFerrin one, didn't watch the whole panel), but I dunno if it answers all those questions.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #167 on: 14 Aug 2009, 14:03 »

They used the pentatonic major scale (C - D - E - G - A, if this helps you), which is probably the most common scale in the world. AFAIK it exists in every kind of folk music (with small differences in the exact frequency of the notes for the local flavour) and it's the base of many other scales such as western major (add F and B) or blues major (add Eb and Bb).
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #168 on: 15 Aug 2009, 18:47 »

There's only one rule you really need to know for music theory.
All songs can be improved by putting a banging donk on it.

Black_Chamber

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #169 on: 16 Aug 2009, 15:11 »

Black_Chamber

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #170 on: 30 Aug 2009, 09:18 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A1LrNQCMic

new trippy song I just made. This is probably going to be the last time I bump this thread

ntny

« Reply #171 on: 30 Aug 2009, 22:40 »

The Notes & Neurons video was awesome ... thank you for sharing that. It was right up there with The Music Instinct.

So the OP's music somewhat reminded me of Tim Hecker. If you haven't heard of Tim Hecker, I would say he is one of the most prominent and dare I say revolutionary composers of ambient music. However, Tim Hecker is leaps and bounds ahead of the OP's. What black_chamber has going for him is his production quality - (although there was a track I listened to which had some really harsh clipping going on).

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up