THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 15 Jun 2024, 11:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Block AT&T for censoring 4chan (XKCD started it)  (Read 4463 times)

diafygi

Howdy all,

So in case you haven't heard, AT&T decided block 4chan /b/ on its networks. Right now, it's being seen as blatant censorship and one of the first large violations of Net Neutrality.

Anyway, XKCD is going to be blocking AT&T corporate networks in retaliation, and I figured that's a pretty good idea for QC, too. What does everyone else think? Should QC block AT&T corporate networks?

http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/comments/94pf2/att_is_now_blocking_all_access_to_img4chanorg/c0bf7y6

P.S. If you go back and read through all of the QC comics (it takes a good bit), you can see the gradual improvement in Jeph's art. There's not really a comic where you can see a drastic change. Just little bits here, and little bits there. Crazy how it morphed. Anyway, now I'm just rambling. Boooooo censorship!

CleverConveyence

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
Re: Block AT&T for censoring 4chan (XKCD started it)
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2009, 23:03 »

Edit out the PS, it's seriously not needed.

And I think jeph should take up arms alongside our friend Randall.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2009, 23:16 »

Yeah I don't care
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2009, 23:24 »

Censorship sucks. Of course, the beauty of this is, by blocking 4chan, they've automatically lost their common carrier status, I suspect. Not that they can't just buy a few legislators off to change the law. :rolleyes:

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2009, 01:00 »

[I'm thinking this should probably be moved to DISCUSS]

Oh yeah, taking unilateral action like this sets them up for all kinds of liabilities (assuming it's true). "I got scammed by a phishing site that you didn't block, give me lots of your money NAO!"

Actually, that would probably be the most effective way to harass them into changing, just send in a "security report" for every suspicious site on the internet so that they can block it to "protect" their customers. If they refuse and somebody gets burned, then there's documentation to support lawsuits.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

GenericName

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2009, 21:54 »

Apparently, AT&T did it to prevent a DDoS attack on 4chan. They didn't contact the site admins or anything beforehand, though, and there are better ways of preventing DDoS than blackholing all traffic to the website, but that's the official story.
http://status.4chan.org/index.html#2174049422947602936
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2009, 22:47 »

This idea is stupid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up