THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 14:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's the OVERLORD!  (Read 2568 times)

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
It's the OVERLORD!
« on: 23 Jul 2009, 00:25 »

So my girlfriend bought me Overlord II when she came to visit and since she left I've been playing an incredible amount of this game.  Anyone else picked it up yet?  Anyone going to?  The first Overlord was an incredible amount of fun while having so many visible flaws.  The second Overlord is a colossal improvement over the first....while having many, many flaws.  Here are a few:

1. The minions are stupid.  When I played through the first Overlord the intelligence of the minions really bothered me, they would never pick up all the items no matter how many times I sent them over and over it and sweeping minions makes them ignore some of the things you want them to pick up.  The blue and green minions are the most affected by this, green minions are meant to sneak around to the enemy and jump on their back and stab them....they hardly ever do this, they stand around and hit the enemy from the front, something the brown minions are already doing.  And the blues...what are meant to be your revivers are almost completely useless.  They will never automatically heal unless you set a guard post.

2.  The pop-in.  This is not an open world game, the graphics aren't super-amazing and yet destructables and other textures will pop in about 20-30 feet in front of you.  It's noticeable and annoying.

3.  The HUD.  You have this Dark Tower located in the Netherworld.  In the first game you could go to 4 different sections that each did their own thing.  Here there are 4 sections that do multiple things.  The problem is that you spend an incredible amount of time trying to remember where certain things are.  In can take minutes to get from upgrading your equipment and minions to go to upgrade your magic. They also add in the ability to resurrect minions...an interesting but useless feature.

So I have three complaints for an otherwise absolutely enjoyable game. It's written by Terry Pratchett's daughter and it's definitely got that fantastical parody element that is so prevalent in his works.  I know I just spent a long time complaining but it's been a while since a game, for me, has been this much fun.  Definitely pick it up if you're waiting for Christmas to come and steal the contents of your bank account.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Re: It's the OVERLORD!
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2009, 01:11 »

It's got a certain goofball charm, but I just can't get over how Peter Molyneux the whole endeavor is. Cute is what it aims for.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

ackblom12

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2009, 08:43 »

I'm definitely going to be picking this up sometime. It's just unfortunately going to be buried beneath the releases from the coming months.

Glad to hear this is good though! I am eager to continue the Overlord traditions of oppression and pillaging.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2009, 09:48 »

I checked out the demo, and I think it's a buy. The wolf-riding was incredibly refreshing, and it looks like you're going to feel a bit more evil this time. The elves being Jamaican, swashbuckling hippies helped a lot, that was seriously fun. But I'm really sad that they've made it look more linear. One of the best part of the first was being able to choose a bit between where you wanted to go, I wanted more of that, not less.

I think you are wrong on the stupid minion part. I was bothered a bit by this at first, but then I realized that the minions did pick up everything that was better than what they already had. A brown with a sword won't pick up a club, and I think the armours have the same kind of stats - so the minions are actually prioritizing better protection and offence, without you really noticing.

The blue and green minions was a bit of a mess to work with, though. In a big battle, you had to send the browns and reds in, set up a guard post for the blues, and then start moving the greens around. If you wanted to be effective, you needed a guard post for the reds as well. And if you had those rolling things that you had to make your browns dodge? Jeeeez. I'd like to be able to do something total war-ish (or maybe more baldur's gate-ish); to pause the game, give the minions orders, and then continue. If we could've done that, the enemies could also have been harder. I want more effective tools, and a harder challenge. But I still want the game. Fucking hippie elves.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2009, 13:36 »

The part about it being linear is not completely true.  In the first overlord you had to access the main world and then walk to the one or two quests that were available at the time.  In this one you transport directly to the area from the one or two quests that are available. 

And I'll disagree with your example.  In the first Overlord they'd pick up stuff that was better than their own.  I never had any instance of them picking up something that was worse than what they had.   

Combat is bad because there's this huge chance for strategy that's way too cumbersome and time-consuming to ever think of using.  By the time you've effectively set up all your guard posts whatever you were dealing with is already dead. 

I'm nearing the end of the game now, probably only one or two quests left to go and I've noticed a couple other things.

You get three mistresses.  The really weird thing is that two of them are redheads.  One of them may be a peasant and the other more of a queen...but stylistically they aren't really all too different.  Your first and your second one look extremely different: one is red-headed and very pale, the other brown-haired and very tan.  The fact that the final mistress is so like the first was a huge let-down for me.  Although you have a choice for your final and it requires you to play through again to get her. 

Everything is very, very colourful.  After playing a ton of Fallout and Killzone 2 lately the extremely colourful world of Overlord II is incredibly refreshing.  The graphics aren't incredible but everything they've done with creating this imaginative and colourful world have paid off in full. 

The armory has been completely streamlined.  Instead of powering up your weapons by sacrificing a ton of your valuable minions armour and weapons have their minion cost completely fixed and none of them will cripple your armies. 

When they make Overlord III, and I really hope they will, I know that they'll throw in some really cool stuff, that the graphics will be more improved but that the game will still be incredibly flawed.  Nevertheless I'll totally pick it up and enjoy it.

holmez54

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2009, 16:51 »

I personally never had any trouble with the greens. They were beyond instrumental in the final mission for me. The blues, however, are a different story. I can't stand them. Anywhere I went, I had them around until I didn't absolutely need them, then sent them on their merry way. I liked the game, but admittedly it was a bit tedious at times. For the most part, it's a fun game to pick up and play for a while. I've never really been much of a "completionist" when it comes to games. Unless I really like it, I'll finish the story then move on. This was a good game for that to me. If they do make another I'll probably get it, I just hope the blues don't suck so hard for me.

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2009, 11:56 »

Fuck the Arena.
Pages: [1]   Go Up