THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 19:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: (500) Days of Summer  (Read 24367 times)

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Re: (500) Days of Summer
« Reply #50 on: 01 Oct 2009, 19:21 »

Warning: this will probably contain spoilers.

I saw this last night myself, and there were some good points. Zooey Deschanel really is very attractive, and I was rather keen on Joseph Gordon Levitt's ties and shirts. I've been thinking about wearing ties more myself, so I spent a good portion of the film considering how his wardrobe would look on me.

Unfortunately that was it for the good parts. It's a spectacularly badly made film. At the start we have these sub-Wes Anderson bits with the voiceover, but then after a bit they get forgotten about. Alright, that could be the film trying to say no, this is not a cute little romance in a fantasy land at all that's just JGL's rose-tinted expectations at the beginning of a relationship. Except then they forgot that all of their locations were ridiculously cutesy as well, and the characters are universally sticking to those cute wardrobe colours, and then there's the whole wedding bit... so it's all still thoroughly fantasy land just minus any more hackneyed dance scenes and less bad voiceover (thank god). So that just failed.

Then there's the misogyny. Admittedly the film makes a point of being misogynistic in the opening, so it's upfront about it gives an impression of trying to present things from JGL's perspective. But then they forgot to give Zooey Deschanel much of a character beyond one scene where she cries at the end of The Graduate, and the fact that admittedly her behaviour is rather believable. Any good work there is fucked up by them making her into a trope, she's the pixie girl there to help JGL learn to live his dream. Because of course all he has to do to be an architect is take some risks and believe in himself, and he'll mysteriously retain his extremely expensive looking apartment while unemployed. And then there's that ending, where all girls want to get married really and of course fate brings him a new girl all of his own for being a good boy and doing the dream living thing. Basically it gave the impression of a film that was trying not to be creepily misogynistic, but the filmmakers were too crap to pull that off so it was your standard misogynistic romantic comedy example 2658990.

There were a load of parts that grated. The Smiths bit was admittedly hugely aggravating. "Oh my god! A girl has heard of the 1980s top 40 hit machine The Smiths! She must have listened to the radio once or twice!" Or how about the redheaded woman who's only function is to tell JGL that he's got nothing to attack Zooey Deschanel about and then disappear once her function for his life has been served (women only exist in this film to act as means to improve the life of a man modelled on the scriptwriter. The man must be an enormous dickhead). But I think the point where I would have actually kicked the shit out of the writer if the fuckhead had been in the audience was the bit where they go to the art gallery and it basically gets all Daily Mail reader. Not the worst thing in it but it was the last straw. Took me a good half hour to calm down from just how pissed off this film made me.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

AanAllein

• Furry furrier
« Reply #51 on: 01 Oct 2009, 19:30 »

Or how about the redheaded woman who's only function is to tell JGL that he's got nothing to attack Zooey Deschanel about and then disappear once her function for his life has been served (women only exist in this film to act as means to improve the life of a man modelled on the scriptwriter. The man must be an enormous dickhead). But I think the point where I would have actually kicked the shit out of the writer if the fuckhead had been in the audience was the bit where they go to the art gallery and it basically gets all Daily Mail reader. Not the worst thing in it but it was the last straw. Took me a good half hour to calm down from just how pissed off this film made me.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about those two bits too. Those were both pretty terrible, I'd kinda blanked them out.

I did like JGL's wardrobe in the film though. I already wear ties an awful lot, and this film made me kinda wish I lived somewhere cooler so I could wear sweater vests/cardigans/jackets more often.

Lise

• Furry furrier
    • Face Me
« Reply #52 on: 01 Oct 2009, 19:51 »

Took me a good half hour to calm down from just how pissed off this film made me.

Nice post, by the way (especially your point about misogyny in the movie), but overreacting much? Believe me, I've seen some terrible-ass Romantic comedies, but I never raged afterward. *Shrug*

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #53 on: 01 Oct 2009, 20:58 »

I saw this last week. My god, you can practically see the mold-lines around the edge of this film from where it was pumped out of the cute-indie-romance factory. I enjoyed, cummulatively, about ten minutes of this film - and most of that was in the dance sequence (and even that was only saved by its delivery: the premise - guy has sex, goes out the next day feeling like the coolest guy on the planet and everyone's lining up to say "good job, man!" - is pretty close to being a modern cliche). For the rest of the film I was alternating between bored, angry (I really hate male fantasy wish-fulfilment films, which this one appears very strongly to be) and insulted. It's like the guys who made this film bought a copy of "Indie film-making for dummies" and followed every single instruction to the letter. I've seen a few comparisons to Juno Taround, but I think even people who were irritated by Juno would admit that at least they hadn't seen another film quite like it. (500) Days of Summer, on the other hand, contains almost nothing original or unexpected or enlightening or memorable.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #54 on: 02 Oct 2009, 03:35 »

RARH FUCK MISOGYNY

Y'know, I'd been having trouble identifying exactly what it was that annoyed me about this film - I knew it was something along these lines, but thank you for putting it in words far better than I ever could.
Admittedly I kinda liked it, but that is because I have a bit of a boner for the 'indie'/'faux-indie'/'hipster' aesthetic that a lot of the films mentioned in this thread have.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #55 on: 04 Oct 2009, 07:41 »

Nice post, by the way (especially your point about misogyny in the movie), but overreacting much? Believe me, I've seen some terrible-ass Romantic comedies, but I never raged afterward. *Shrug*

Misogyny makes me pretty mad and I'm alright with that. It was undoubtedly intensified by the fact that I was watching it at the cinema, so that means I'm stuck watching something that's aggravating me with nothing to distract from it. Boring and occasionally dodgy I can deal with, I saw The Hangover in the cinema not long ago ("hey, have we been racist yet? Quick, insert comedy Asians!"), but I found this rather relentless in the aspects that got my back up.

Plus, I am admittedly a man who spends a good proportion of his life ranting about culture and generally getting worked up about things, so being furious with a film for half an hour is fairly normal for me.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up