THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 00:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT: Aug 3-7, 2009  (Read 57229 times)

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
Re: WCT: Aug 3-7, 2009
« Reply #150 on: 07 Aug 2009, 19:29 »

Dora: "How many of those black hoodies do you have in your closet?"

Marten: "I don't know anymore. I think they're multiplying back there."

Faye: "Hah! Even your clothes get more action than you!"
Yes, thank goodness we live in an enlightened society where we're horribly sexist to both men and woman in equal measure. >.<

plethora

• Larger than most fish
  • fluff fluff fluff
« Reply #151 on: 07 Aug 2009, 20:12 »

Ah, beer. I have the advantage of having a parental unit (and her boyfriend) and a brother who all have quite a bit of alcohol knowledge. So, when I'm out with friends I just drink something I know I like, and when with family I take their recommendations. Too easy. Plus, Mama lives three houses from a pub, so we're friendly with the owners and they make recommendations whenever I go to visit too.

In other news:
In fact, what bothered me was that Dora already singled out Faye as the "mean one" even before she said anything.

I agree.

Delirium

• FIGHT YOU
  • WE CLEANSE OUR DESTINY
« Reply #152 on: 07 Aug 2009, 20:16 »

And if there were a coral snake in the bar, Dora would have told Marigold, "watch out, there's a venomous snake". What a terrible person.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Jerift

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #154 on: 07 Aug 2009, 22:40 »

Lurking forever, posting for the first time... had to get in on the fancy beer discussion.  For those of you in the Boston, Mass. area, go to Cambridge and hit up John Harvard's -- the Oatmeal Stout is the best I've ever had.  A times square microbrew (can't remember the name, its on 43rd st in NYC) had the best Harvest Wheat I've ever had as well.  Highly recommend both those if you're a "coin-a-soor."  Also, for those in the Rochester, NY area, go to MacGreggor's Grill and Tap Room just south of Rochester in Henrietta.  There had to be at least 200 different beers on tap from all over the world.
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2009, 22:42 by Jerift »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #155 on: 07 Aug 2009, 22:59 »

I have family (a LARGE family)  in Walpole, next time I visit I'll head into the city and check out that place.  Thanks Jerift!

As can be seen in thursday's comic, Dora is already in Maternal Instincs mode over Marigold.  I think it was more of just a natural thing for her.

I do agree, Faye has seemed different latley, more cruel in a way, but thats probably from the emotional trama from Sven.  When was the last time she saw the doc?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Ghanima Atreides

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #156 on: 08 Aug 2009, 01:57 »

are you serious? she had trouble just walking into a bar. there's a time for eggshells, and this is it.

Lots of people feel anxiety in various social situations. Constantly referring to their anxiety by treating them differently reinforces their beliefs that there is something to be afraid of. I'm not saying people shouldn't take her anxiety into consideration, but constantly fretting over every comment they make isn't the best way to put Marigold at ease; in my opinion at least.

And if there were a coral snake in the bar, Dora would have told Marigold, "watch out, there's a venomous snake". What a terrible person.

And if there were a venomous snake in the bar, everyone would run screaming. They wouldn't exactly be thinking of socializing with it. Then again, Dora's pseudo-maternal attitude towards characters she feels the need to "take under her wing" has always irked me.
Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
« Reply #157 on: 08 Aug 2009, 02:11 »

Yes, thank goodness we live in an enlightened society where we're horribly sexist to both men and woman in equal measure. >.<

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
  • Faydora and Fayven, its so hard to choose!
« Reply #158 on: 08 Aug 2009, 02:36 »

poor marigold. she's going to have one hell of a night.
Help bring back the dragons!

Guy 5

« Reply #159 on: 08 Aug 2009, 05:44 »

When Marigold said she wanted mountain dew she did not mean ordinary, common folk mountain dew. I suspect she had this in mind: http://drmcninja.com/page.php?pageNum=24&issue=15
It is Faye and the rest who are ill informed.

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
  • Faydora and Fayven, its so hard to choose!
« Reply #160 on: 08 Aug 2009, 08:54 »

nahhh, she is a WoW addict. the regular yellow stuff she means. I like Dew but not that much.
Help bring back the dragons!

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #161 on: 08 Aug 2009, 10:00 »

Ach.  So awkward of a situation to be in.

I feel for Marigold.  This is probably the first time she has ever been in a bar before.  Or, you know, anywhere besides her apartment.
« Last Edit: 08 Aug 2009, 11:06 by Caleb »

nichidani

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • nrrd grrl.
    • myspace.
« Reply #162 on: 08 Aug 2009, 12:58 »

i think marigold is going to be fine. a little nervous at first, but fine.

faye has seemed a little more bitchy in recent comics, now that someone's (or, rather, a few people have) mentioned it. it doesn't seem to be done as lovingly anymore, either. faye's meanness has kind of evolved from a sort of sarcastic joking to genuine bitchiness.
kittens!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #163 on: 08 Aug 2009, 14:14 »

That was there all along, on and off. I agree she's regressing.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

danman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #164 on: 08 Aug 2009, 15:27 »

are you serious? she had trouble just walking into a bar. there's a time for eggshells, and this is it.

Well, there is a proverb in my country which states "One who wants to eat a walnut, must be able to bite through the shell". If she can not handle this little pressure or whatever you might call it, perhaps the bar is not the right enviroment for her to be. ( Then, anyway in online games there is much more bullshitting and insults, so she likely has experience) Remember , as far as pastimes go getting drunk is not superior to wasting time online. Anyway i would say Dora is being overprotective (Hanners is just Hanners ...)
"The pyramid is opening!"
"Which one?"
"The one with the ever-widening hole in it!"
                -- Firesign Theater, "How Can You Be In Two Places At
                   Once When You're Not Anywhere At All"

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #165 on: 08 Aug 2009, 15:44 »

i think marigold is going to be fine. a little nervous at first, but fine.

faye has seemed a little more bitchy in recent comics, now that someone's (or, rather, a few people have) mentioned it. it doesn't seem to be done as lovingly anymore, either. faye's meanness has kind of evolved from a sort of sarcastic joking to genuine bitchiness.

I agree, I think Faye needs to be put in her place again.  Then again I think it was lovingly with Marten because she had feelings for Marten.  After she has gotten used to Dora and Marten dating she was kinda with Sven. With Sven, Marten, and Angus (though less so) she has always had the joking sarcasm meaness.  Latley she has seemed more mean and Dora did mention something about it and commissioned the sculpture.

Thinking right now with the dialog, I think it wasnt Faye being mean now.  I think its one of those foot in mouth type of blurting out what you said without considering someones feelings.  I am sure everyone has done that a couple of times and landed in hot water.  She isnt purposley being mean to Marigold.  But hey lets wait till monday and see if she has lighten up yet.  Faye did say she has a hard time breaking the ice.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

nichidani

• nrrd grrl.
    • myspace.
« Reply #166 on: 08 Aug 2009, 17:41 »

i think it's just how she showed affection, and it is becoming more of a personality trait, really. and it probably has a lot to do with her getting hurt by sven
kittens!

Shadic

• Shadic's Website
« Reply #167 on: 08 Aug 2009, 19:41 »

Look at how how Mountain Dew was typed/said in the third panel. It clearly wasn't a regular question, but an accusation/negative remark commonly seen in Bitchy-Faye. Dora clearly picked up on the fact that going to the bar itself was a big step for Marigold, and isn't letting Faye ruin what social progress could be made.

Over-analyzing characters whoooo.

Nightson

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #168 on: 08 Aug 2009, 20:29 »

Look, tone of voice could entirely determine whether Faye was just being jokey or whether she was being mean.  Since we can't actually hear it, we're just guessing.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #169 on: 08 Aug 2009, 21:50 »

Wow, aren't some of you self righteous. God forbid someone not notice a single word bubble in 1465 comic strips.
What are you talking about?

rudyhenkel

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #170 on: 08 Aug 2009, 21:58 »

And peer pressure gets one more person drinking alcohol when they don't wish to.  Yay?   :|

Juniper Jade

• Larger than most fish
  • brb picking up high school boys
    • Myspaces
« Reply #171 on: 09 Aug 2009, 08:20 »

Alcohol is a beautiful thing and more people should be peer pressured into drinking it.
"Happiness is the secret to all beauty. There is no beauty that is attractive without happiness." - Christian Dior

alienatedduck

• Emoticontraindication
    • The Dog And Louse
« Reply #172 on: 09 Aug 2009, 10:26 »

I don't think she's being pressured into drinking. I mean first, everyone except Faye wouldn't even comment, and it seems more like a lack of knowledge of what to order. Before I went to uni I didn't really drink and had a similar reaction first time in a bar with strangers!

And I don't think Faye is necessarily mean. You could look at her as being clueless about other people's social habits as Marigold is about all theirs!

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #173 on: 09 Aug 2009, 13:05 »

Look, tone of voice could entirely determine whether Faye was just being jokey or whether she was being mean.  Since we can't actually hear it, we're just guessing.

True enough - but (in context) Dora can hear it, and that provides us with some additional information. (Of course, it's debatable whether Dora interpreted it correctly....)

nichidani

• nrrd grrl.
    • myspace.
« Reply #174 on: 09 Aug 2009, 13:26 »

i really don't think it's that marigold doesn't want to drink, since she is mostly just embarrassed that she doesn't like (or know much about) beer. if she had no desire to drink alcohol, she would have said "i don't drink", and left it at that. and i doubt anyone would've said anything about it.

i mean, i don't much care for (or rather, i am not really knowledgeable about)  beer. but i enjoy the hell out of a stiff screwdriver or fruity girl alcoholic beverage, when i indulge. i feel that she may be more similar to my situation than a non-drinker who is peer pressured into drinking.
kittens!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #175 on: 09 Aug 2009, 18:34 »

i really don't think it's that marigold doesn't want to drink, since she is mostly just embarrassed that she doesn't like (or know much about) beer. if she had no desire to drink alcohol, she would have said "i don't drink", and left it at that. and i doubt anyone would've said anything about it.

i mean, i don't much care for (or rather, i am not really knowledgeable about)  beer. but i enjoy the hell out of a stiff screwdriver or fruity girl alcoholic beverage, when i indulge. i feel that she may be more similar to my situation than a non-drinker who is peer pressured into drinking.

You bring up some great points and I totally agree!  If she didnt drink period she'd say so.  I think its just her out of her element and grabbing at something she is familiar/comfortable/used to.  And she just may not be too knowledgeable about beer/bourbon/mixed drinks.  Hmmm bullet bourbon mixed with mountain dew....I may have to try that, and we shall call it, the Marigold!  But honestly I prefer beer to mixed drinks. :mrgreen:

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #176 on: 09 Aug 2009, 22:09 »

Marigold's lack of spine disturbs me.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #177 on: 09 Aug 2009, 22:52 »

She was assertive enough on her own territory. Maybe that's the only place she feels secure.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

plethora

• Larger than most fish
  • fluff fluff fluff
« Reply #178 on: 10 Aug 2009, 02:55 »

Hmmm bullet bourbon mixed with mountain dew....I may have to try that, and we shall call it, the Marigold!  But honestly I prefer beer to mixed drinks. :mrgreen:
Hey, that's not a bad idea. I have never mixed anything with Mountain Dew. I will have to rectify that.

I like beer and mixed drinks equally. Hell, I'll drink anything except Passion Pop.

jonarus_drakus

• Marigold and Pintsize's lovechild
« Reply #179 on: 10 Aug 2009, 06:09 »

Me and some mates invented our own mixed drink. We mix Sprite with generic mid-strength beer. I coined the name "Speer" (tm) for it in a rare bout of drunk-genius.
EVERYTHING IS RUINED FOREVER!!

nichidani

• nrrd grrl.
    • myspace.
« Reply #180 on: 10 Aug 2009, 06:40 »

on the subject of alcohol concoctions, my friends and i make grape koolaid, substituting 1/2 of the water for vodka, and mix that with grape soda.

we call it 'that purple shit', lol.
kittens!

plethora

• Larger than most fish
  • fluff fluff fluff
« Reply #181 on: 10 Aug 2009, 07:16 »

Me and some mates invented our own mixed drink. We mix Sprite with generic mid-strength beer. I coined the name "Speer" (tm) for it in a rare bout of drunk-genius.

Shandy. Otherwise known as "the Portagaff for pissweak people."

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #182 on: 10 Aug 2009, 21:47 »

Many years ago when I was around 10 or 12, there was a local Softdrink manufacture that made a cola drink called Rocola (or something like that), the flavour was quite unique.  They went out of business a couple or three decades back, but after they went out of business, a mate of mine and I discovered that if you mixed three quarters of a bottle of Coke and a quarter of a bottle of lemonade, you got the same flavour.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Delirium

• FIGHT YOU
  • WE CLEANSE OUR DESTINY
« Reply #183 on: 10 Aug 2009, 23:39 »

Shandy. Otherwise known as "the Portagaff for pissweak people."
Pissweak? I can handle alcohol. Not the taste of beer though.

plethora

• Larger than most fish
  • fluff fluff fluff
« Reply #184 on: 11 Aug 2009, 02:25 »

So drink something else.

Delirium

• FIGHT YOU
  • WE CLEANSE OUR DESTINY
« Reply #185 on: 11 Aug 2009, 02:36 »

Well that was easy.

jonarus_drakus

• Marigold and Pintsize's lovechild
« Reply #186 on: 11 Aug 2009, 06:00 »

Yeah, i may have created it but i still wasnt a fan. If Vodka is good enough for the Russians its good enough for me! DAS VADANYA COMRADES!
EVERYTHING IS RUINED FOREVER!!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #187 on: 11 Aug 2009, 22:23 »

Nostrovia!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up