THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 01 May 2024, 17:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prototype  (Read 5004 times)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Prototype
« on: 22 Jun 2009, 14:20 »

didn't there used to be a Prototype thread? i couldn't find it. oh well.

WELL, anybody played it? i traded in a couple of games on Friday and had more than enough for a new game and i haven't been able to rent Prototype since it's been out so i thought "what the hell" and just bought it.

anyway, i've been having a shitload of fun with this game. elbow dropping a tank has never been so satisfying, although that's mostly because i've never done it before now. also, you can karate kick helicopters out of the sky. let me repeat that, you can karate kick a fucking helicopter. traversing across the city is a boatload of fun too once you unlock the glide move and upgrade your speed and jump a little.

the graphics are pretty 'meh' in that sometimes they look pretty dang good and other times they look like polished shit. they sort of balance each other out, i guess.

the story makes almost no sense and is delivered in a way that it makes even less sense. not to mention that the cutscene volume is so much lower than the actual game (at least at default levels) that if you have the volume set just right for the game, you can hardly hear the cutscene dialo

okay somethign werid is going on with the forums here. sorry. i gotta stop typing. will fix later
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Re: Prototype
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2009, 15:31 »

I don't think the story's particularly confusing and the "Web of Intrigue" mechanic is pretty neat. I mean, the main story isn't great, but the backstory is alright and the Web of Intrigue cutscenes are delivered well and are motivated by gameplay.

The missions are fun once you figure out how to kick a lot of ass in them but what the developers failed to realize is that most of this game's fun comes from being an insanely powerful superhero with a number of crazy special moves and you can jump-kick helicopters, not getting your ass kicked over and over again. Difficulty curve is outrageous and awful and comes from the "snap-yr-controller" school of thought as opposed to the "hey well i mean what if we actually let people finish the game" school, which is the only really disappointing thing about it.

P.S. I had a lot of fun playing Prototype, but I'm more interested in the new Red Faction game, I think.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2009, 15:33 by Johnny C »
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2009, 16:10 »

This:

A million times this.

Though I do think it's a rehashed Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.  That game was fun and so is this one, but that's about it and it can get frustrating at times.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2009, 18:32 »

My friend has it and is playing the fuck out of it. Does look a hell of a lot like Hulk: Ultimate Destruction though.

Whats your favorite arms?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2009, 00:24 »

Prototype is Spiderman 2: The Game meets The Darkness (also The Game) with a hint of Hulk: Ultimate Destruction thrown in for good measure.

My largest issue with the game is that there is so much wasted potential in the storyline. Not only does it constantly leave out little details that main characters remark upon like you already knew about them, but it completely avoids any of the emotional angles that The Darkness so well employed (it's the only reason I really liked that game).

The gameplay is Spiderman 2 with special abilities, and gliding instead of swinging. I'm perfectly okay with that, because it's very fun to play. Upgrades come at just the right times, and it seems that, even though I think the Hammerfist and Musclemass upgrades are shite, most of the powers are useful enough against certain types of enemy. My favorite is the Whipfist!

On the whole, it's a very meh game from a meh developer with too much fucking awesome thrown in to be ignored.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2009, 15:35 »

yeah, the Whipfist is pretty much my favorite, followed by the Blade Arm because that thing is just awesome.
it's a good feeling when your helicopter gets shot down by a group of attack choppers and you can just jump out, glide over to someone else's, and steal it from them.

it's a fun little game i like to call "Let's See How Long I Can Go Without Touching The Ground"

no matter what happens, i always win.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2009, 19:27 »

My largest issue with the game is that there is so much wasted potential in the storyline. Not only does it constantly leave out little details that main characters remark upon like you already knew about them, but it completely avoids any of the emotional angles that The Darkness so well employed (it's the only reason I really liked that game)..

the majority of these details are covered in the web of intrigue things making you actually work to discover the storyline while using a gameplay mechanic that is frequently used elsewhere in the game

also the new game + rules
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2009, 22:13 »

In once case, Alex talks about "absorbing" his victims, and Dana freaks out. I didn't get it until he's all "I should have told you before". I thought she would have gotten the hint when he kept coming in through the roof entrance. It's those little gaps that really breaks the focus of the game for me.

Also, my save just corrupted and I'm restarting on easy so I feel like a badass.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
« Reply #8 on: 04 Jul 2009, 15:12 »

I was planning on buying Prototype but then I noticed another game called inFamous. At first I thought inFamous was just a rip-off title because it seemed like a very similar game, but after reasearching I'm not so sure. I honestly can't decide which game I should get, but I'm leaning towards inFamous because I just have a fetish for electrical super powers :wink:

Has anybody actually played both games?
Yes, thank goodness we live in an enlightened society where we're horribly sexist to both men and woman in equal measure. >.<

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 04 Jul 2009, 15:35 »

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
« Reply #10 on: 04 Jul 2009, 17:50 »

That was possibly the best head-to-head review I've ever seen, dispite being utterly useless.  :laugh:
Yes, thank goodness we live in an enlightened society where we're horribly sexist to both men and woman in equal measure. >.<

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 04 Jul 2009, 18:27 »

Lise

• Furry furrier
    • Face Me
« Reply #12 on: 28 Jul 2009, 00:14 »

Oh my god Blue Kitty... I am so happy you linked that Prototype vs. Infamous article, I about died laughing when I saw the characters in drag. I have to agree with Yahtzee, Alex riding the unicorn wins.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #13 on: 01 Aug 2009, 16:57 »

My name is Alex Mercer and I got cancer but then I got rid of it.

My name is Alex Mercer and I tear innocent people in half.

My name is Alex Mercer and I uppercut tanks.

My name is Alex Mercer and even though I just fell from a building in front of a squad of soldiers, they don't realize who I am.

My name is Alex Mercer and I just threw a car at a helicopter. FUCK YOU.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #14 on: 02 Aug 2009, 15:26 »

I'm gonna buy this game right now. Hey, can anyone tell me what Prototype costs in the US on Steam? Here in Europe it costs €50. It's Mass Effect all over again. That game in Europe: €45. That game in the US: $20. So fuck that shit, I'm gonna buy it over Direct2Drive.co.uk. Fifteen pounds. Why, Steam, why?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #15 on: 02 Aug 2009, 23:21 »

At least it isn't Australia Darfur.
« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2009, 04:14 by Melodic »

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #16 on: 03 Aug 2009, 04:01 »

Prototype is $50 on Steam here, but I think we get charged in USD, so that translates to about $60?

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #17 on: 03 Aug 2009, 04:14 »

Ahem.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #18 on: 03 Aug 2009, 04:20 »

No, no, the exchange rate is much lower. 1 US$= €0.70 So it's about €35. It were better days when I could buy the Orange Box on Steam before it came out here, and even with $10 tax extra over the original price I still got it for €5 less and three months earlier than retail in Europe.

Luckily Steam isn't the only digital distributor out there. I bought the game here for about 15 pounds (€17.50) at a discount. It says the deal ends on Sunday, but I don't know what time zone they count in because it's Monday here and it's still standing. If you're quick about it you can get the game for 10 pounds off 25, or in the case of the US site, 10 dollars off 50. Hmm, that makes the UK site pretty generous, doesn't it?

In an unusual fit of self-discipline, I decided not to play Prototype until I'm done with my to-do list for this month.

At least it isn't Australia Darfur.

I would think buying overpriced games on Steam when living in Darfur is the least of your worries. Or was there something else?
« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2009, 04:26 by LTK »
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #19 on: 06 Aug 2009, 17:14 »

Update: Can't stop playing Prototype... Too much fun...
Pages: [1]   Go Up