THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noir films  (Read 4584 times)

Damnable Fiend

• Curry sauce
  • oh I can put stuff here? that's cool...
Noir films
« on: 27 Sep 2009, 22:25 »

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some good, old noir films? 

In the vein of um, The Maltese Falcon I suppose, which is pretty much the only noir film I actually know.  Basically, a bunch of things sparked an interest in the genre for me recently, but I'm not really sure where to start, as, normally, I don't watch very many movies.

Thanks
"[human beings] just get carried away by new ideas, like dressing up in jackboots and shooting people, or dressing up in white sheets and lynching people, or dressing up in tie-dye jeans and playing guitars at people."

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Re: Noir films
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2009, 23:14 »

Some big films in the genre are

M (1931)
The Third Man (1949)
Chinatown (1974)

And more recently,

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)
Brick (2005)

Which are both a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2009, 23:21 by RallyMonkey »

AanAllein

• Furry furrier
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2009, 23:41 »

Chinatown is more correctly neo-noir, right? Still my favourite noir film so an excellent recommendation.

In terms of older noir films, both The Big Sleep and Maltese Falcon (both Bogart films) are excellent. The Big Sleep doesn't exactly make sense, but honestly that's not a big disadvantage. If you want more recent noir films (or as I said, neo-noir!), Memento is certainly the best example. The going backwards gimmick is much more than just a gimmick, and it follows the traditional noir structure despite "going backwards."

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2009, 07:09 »

I can recommend the Third Man very highly, its a fun watch through and its got Orson Welles, who doesn't like Orson Welles? Ditto for Chinatown with Jack Nicholson.

As for my own recommendations, Double Indemnity is a genre classic, while Blade-Runner is a good futuristic neo noir thriller with genetically altered Darryl Hannah and Harrison Ford.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2009, 09:31 »

Casablanca, duh
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2009, 10:01 »

Chinatown is more correctly neo-noir, right? Still my favourite noir film so an excellent recommendation.

I would say Memento would definitely be considered neo-noir. Yet, Chinatown, while being a lot newer than classic noir films, follows all of the original noir concepts pretty damn close.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2009, 11:49 »

It's one of those ones where you can pick and choose, since there isn't a definitive answer to what constitutes noir (or even if it is a genre at all, a subject of some debate). For those that take noir as something that applies only to films from a certain period Chinatown definitely wouldn't qualify. Neither would M actually, since it does fit as a German street or asphalt film and it was never referred to as a noir until comparatively recently, but it's such an enormous influence on noir it's worth watching.

By a massive distance the absolute greatest noir (so long as you accept M isn't one), not to mention a good contender for greatest film of any kind, is easily Sunset Boulevard. Anyone who doesn't think Norma Desmond is one of the greatest characters of all time is a massive chump.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2009, 14:14 »

Came here to say Brick, but it was already said, so I'll just say that it is fucking great.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2009, 01:45 »

Sunset Boulevard.

Also;
The Maltese Falcon
Double Indemnity
The Third Man
Stranger on the Third Floor
M
Nosferatu - really an expressionist piece, but it's so damn good you should watch it anyway. Plus, it's fallen into the public domain.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

AanAllein

• Furry furrier
« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2009, 14:46 »

Casablanca, duh

Joke post? Or do people actually think Casablanca is noir?

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #10 on: 29 Sep 2009, 20:10 »

In terms of cinematography, some of the scenes could be considered Noir-influenced. But yeah Casablanca is not a noir film.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #11 on: 30 Sep 2009, 06:24 »

M is definitely great.
Le Circle Rouge (The Red Circle) is not only one of the best gangster/noir movies ever, it's one of my all time favorite movies period. Seriously brilliant.
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2009, 21:04 by TheFuriousWombat »
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #12 on: 30 Sep 2009, 21:00 »

Just wait till y'all see my noir-comedy production, it'll totally straight flip all the way out on you yo.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

The Cheesinator

• Plantmonster
« Reply #13 on: 01 Oct 2009, 18:37 »

Elevator to the Gallows (1958) - Man, what a film. If you don't mind subtitles/can understand French. And the soundtrack is by Miles Davis.

I don't know if you like science fiction, but Bladerunner (1982) is certainly in the noir vein.

Also, Blast of Silence (1961) is pretty great too. I haven't seen it in a while but the cinematography is stunning. You can actually watch it on Youtube.
This calls for a thumbs up.

Damnable Fiend

• Curry sauce
  • oh I can put stuff here? that's cool...
« Reply #14 on: 02 Oct 2009, 09:24 »

thanks everyone, these are great suggestions.  I'll start checking them out over the weekend.
"[human beings] just get carried away by new ideas, like dressing up in jackboots and shooting people, or dressing up in white sheets and lynching people, or dressing up in tie-dye jeans and playing guitars at people."

EhSteve

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #15 on: 15 Oct 2009, 11:47 »

The Big Sleep
Pages: [1]   Go Up