THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: PocketJury Con '10 Location Bidding - Rock the M-Fin' Vote  (Read 27935 times)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses

Okay, so we've got Chicago under wraps and it was heck of awesome. Good times had by all. Woo!

Already we've got a number of really good locations suggested for next year and right now we are going to sort them out. So here we go:

NYCon (New York, New York)- Now with less murder!

Constin (Austin, TX)- The only place in Texas worth going to!

San Franciscon (San Francisco, CA)- GAY PEOPLE!

Sandy Eggocon (San Diego, CA)- Fuck if I know!

There's-No-Clever-Way-to-Say-Portland Con '10 (Portland, OR)- It's in Oregon!

Chicongo 2: Chicago Deeper (Chicago, IL)- Fuck that was rad!

Alright! Have some opinions, people!
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!

My top three choices:
1. San Franciscon (SF is awesome, plus it's the closest to me)
2. Sandy Eggocon (Not as close, but I guess I can pretend I'm in Drive Like Jehu or something)
3. Portlandcon (Definitely not as close but I've always wanted to go)

Lines

• Awakened

I have no idea if I'd be able to afford a flight to Cali, so my votes go to New York and Austin. Portland would be pretty cool though, too.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

allison

• Bling blang blong blung
  • i really want a mustache

I'd be so down for going if it were in New York. I could not afford to go anywhere else. Also none of those places are in Canada, booo.
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses

I am not saying don't suggest more, those are just the ones that have been suggested and there was excitement about.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff

NY, NY. Please. :D
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist

new york!
i could not make it to chicago this year due to a lack of finances and absolutely no knowledge of what was going on with my future but things are sorted out now and a trip next year will definitely be a lot more feasible. i have visited chicago a bunch of times but never new york and i would very much like to visit. it's also the only location not impossible for me to drive to, which could be good news for anybody actually willing to get in a car with me.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Dollface

• And i thought there would be breasts.
Barfy: he needs to get on the sucking of some dick

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki

I think we should probably take a tally of who's interested BEFORE deciding where to do it. If we pick San Diego or something and then have the only people who can really afford to go on ANY vacation turn out to be East Coasters, it seems like a waste of money. California is a fuck expensive and terribly uncomfortable flight from the East Coast. I liked the idea of Chicago due to its central-ish location to most involved.

My involvement is completely contingent upon a mix of location and whether I actually find employment more than six months in advance. Though I can pretty much state I'd be most likely to go to New York of all the available choices. I just don't see the point of spending hundreds of dollars on a flight and board for just a weekend, which is why I skipped out on Chicago.

Also, why is DC not an option? DC is fucking AWESOME with tons to do for people and really cheap to get to for East Coasties and about as much to get to for West Coasties as NY would be. It's also much cheaper and has better weather than NY. It's also doable in a single weekend and particularly close to some awesome amusement parks (Busch Gardens and King's Dominion) for those tourist trap junkies among us.

So yeah, I vote fuck your list, DCon '10: PocketJury Invades the Senate.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

allison

DC sounds awesome, actually.

Durb Durb Durb

• Plantmonster

I have never been to a con. Well, that's a lie. I've been to KingCon, which was in my hometown, once.

Dollface

• And i thought there would be breasts.
Barfy: he needs to get on the sucking of some dick

Allybee

• The German Chancellory building

DC would be a really great location. All the museums are free! But I do not recommend going during the summer because it is stupid hot and humid (who decided to build our nation's new capital on a swamp? uh).
radical dame

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!

I have a friend who works in DC. If that's where it's going to be I am there.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.

DC? Really? Maybe it's because of all the hiphop I've been listening to and not really being into the government thing but it doesn't sound like a nice place!

I doubt I'd be able to make it anyway but my vote would go to San Fransiscon (read: Napa-Valley-wineries-(I'm-not-driving)-con).
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

DC gets overrun with tourists in the summer, so most of the museums and such are really busy. Spring is nice here, May or June. But there are probably 10 qc'ers in the DC area, we just haven't ever gotten ourselves together, but out-of-towners would do it!
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2009, 11:05 by bainidhe_dub »
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp

Yeah, the museums are not a fun place to be in the summer. Even at night, the touristy parts are sooooo crowded.

However I say we do DC, cause then I don't have to travel. Shit, some of you might even be able to crash at my place. And I could show you guys all the cool record stores and shit like that.

Also Sam if its in DC yr comin and were moshin.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

tania

• famed sex columnist

i could do dc too! anywhere on the west coast would be feasible, too, my vote is just for new york and/or dc if we're actually doing the voting thing. it's pretty likely that if anything at all happens next year and it's in north america i'll find some way to be there no matter what.

Metope

Jens, going anywhere overseas is not just "a heap of money". Cities like New York and Philly are sometimes as low as half the price of anywhere else in the US, because there are direct flights to there from Oslo. Sometimes they even have amazing offers, I've seen Oslo - NY for 2000 kr (Oslo - Detroit was 7000 kr, so quite the difference).

Because of this, my vote goes to New York. That's the only way there's even a slight chance I'll be able to go.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

scarred

• Older than Moses

Portland is closest to me! But I'm new to the Meebs, so who cares what I think?

San Fran would be pretty darn cool actually.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man

NYC would be the only place I could afford unless it was Montreal or somewhere more east. It's expensive as hell for canadians to fly anywhere unless you're in y'know, toronto (Fuck you allison)
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

allison

I love you too Andy.

Metope

2200 kr is kind of a huge deal for me. And at finn.no I just found NY tickets for 2490 kr, which is great! Also I am willing to base my trip on finding a special offer, since I wont be able to go otherwise. Must be great for you to have all that money to spend, but I just can't do that two years in a row.

Edit: The reason we bought the expensive tickets was because we had no idea if the prices would swing up or down in the following months. Prices vary a lot from time to time, and we have no idea how much anything will cost, especially not as far away as next spring. The thing is, no matter how much it costs, I'm pretty sure New York will be the cheapest option (Also New York is an awesome city, and it would probably have been my first choice regardless of money issues).
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2009, 13:07 by Metope »

Lines

• Awakened

I would be up for DC if it was not in the summer, because like the people who live there said, it get recockulously hot and humid. But during the spring would be nice! And NY will probably be my first choice just because public tranist is pretty damn good, there's SO much to do/see, and it's possible to find cheap lodgings if you really look. Also I like the foreigners! It would be nice to get them back again!

Actually, I should just save for a really long time and go overseas. Eurocon 2011?

Metope

a) Nice to know you don't want me to come with.

b) I'm saving every little thing I earn and get this year since I'll be moving countries at this time next year, and I'd rather not be broke in a new country. I could afford to save 200 kr for a plane ticket to fuck knows where, but why would I do that when I could go somewhere more awesome for less money? And like you said, a month in Europe, two weeks in America and an expensive festival is not exactly cheap. Spending a lot of money in one summer is not the same as having an endless bank account. So yeah I am pretty broke.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Guys, if I have a job I would be down for anywhere on the east or west coast. If we do it in winter, can we make it someplace that has snow? I've never seen the snow.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki

I vote the opposite. I've seen far too much snow. Fuck snow, guys.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Metope

Yeah, snow is highly overrated. It's fun for the first 2 minutes and then you just want it to be summer.

Durb Durb Durb

• Plantmonster

Snow is excellent. Hake it an outdoor skating party.

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture

I'm going to say screw it and vote for Sumter, South Carolina. THIS IS THE MOST AWESOME TOWN EVAAAAR.
We could always go to Charleston. Charleston is nice.

Metope

I wasn't bitching on you, in my first post I was just telling you about the possible price differences because I wasn't sure you knew about them, and I also know you sometimes tend to spend a lot of money just because you have it. Saving is a good thing! I know you're responsible, and you never spend money you don't have, which is great. I'm just saying that the cheapest option is often worth considering, regardless of how much money you have at that point.

The thing about my economic situation is that I'm actually in debt. I have tons of money on my saving account, but most of it is loans, and I took a good chunk out of it for this summer. I assumed you knew this, seeing how I've been bitching about it for a long time. When I say that I could save 200 kr, I mean that I can do this technically, but it would be very stupid of me. I could also buy those 1500 kr boots I want from that store, and I could also buy a nice dinner almost every day. I earn enough to do things like this, and I've been doing it for a long time, but if I'm going to school in another country for four years it would be wise to stop right now, which is what I will do. I would very much like to have some money afterwards when I have to start paying off my student loans.

I don't understand the "you" and "me" thing you're trying to do here, and if you see my posts as hostile, then I'm sorry.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

Jens, Metope, go talk to eachother in person. (don't hurt me)

NEW YORK.

Because, you know, I'll hopefully be here anyway, and I'm not a big fan of traveling (man, that is such a lie, but I probably won't have money, and if I do, I don't think I will be in New York, but will rather be celebrating my graduation by riding a bike through south america.).
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Alex C

• comeback tour!

I'll go anywhere that isn't New York.

Oh, and Colorado is pretty awesome if you guys haven't been there yet.
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2009, 14:20 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

tania

• famed sex columnist

the other thing i will contribute is that it would be nice to have this during summer again, or at least before the end of next august, because if everything goes according to plan i'll be going back to uni in september 2010 and moving to a new city and everything will be crazy nonsense. obviously this trip doesn't need to revolve around me but while we're looking for personal opinions, there's mine. actually a lot of people here are probably going to be in school too so maybe this goes without saying.

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right

re: timing. i missed tronnocon AND chicagocon because of exams in my summer courses.  :| can we maybe do this thing somewhere in mid-august? i am pretty sure i'm not the only person here who doesn't actually get much of a summer vacation so that's something to consider.
re: place. i am voting for nyc.
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now

DC would be pretty fun! Also Jens it's funny you mention Dischord House, i was talking last night with a punk from DC at the Coke Bust show about how when he was growing up, Dischord was just this specter looming over all of them, because the Dischord guys "grew up" and started drinking wine and stuff and they were just assholes to them.

This echoes a sentiment I made in another thread some time back. 

I vote DC.

GenericName

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Noooooooo
    • DeviantART

If you choose DC, I will have a year to get to know all of you so it will not be creepy if I wish to show up. So, uh, weigh that into your decision.
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

calenlass

• queefcicle!

Can we please not call it DCon because that is what we call Dragon*Con for short.

Also I want to go ahead and put in my vote for Charlotte-Amelie Con. Just sayin'.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!

i will be eighteen by then so WHEREVER

(san francisco is forty minutes from my second house come on)

(i haven't been to ny in a while though)
it's time to stop posting

loco_banana

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Shakespeare meets Leatherface
    • Totally awesome

I have never been to a con. Well, that's a lie. I've been to KingCon, which was in my hometown, once.
I heard they had mandatory orgies at this one. D:

But NY, NY is amazing.
"Life's a bitch, and if I meet her, I'ma tell her."

[00:53] dominik: so, here's to you
= he did a shot to me, and I to him. International Friendship +1

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp

If you choose DC, I will have a year to get to know all of you so it will not be creepy if I wish to show up. So, uh, weigh that into your decision.

man, shit, another forumite from DC.

damnit i'd say lets just do a meetup right now but i go to school in west virginia in two days.

also sam no promises on bands but we will go to a show. jens yr coming to. and michael you too. im gonna take attendance and everything.
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2009, 15:22 by Objects inside Clouds »
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor

I'd be more in favor of somewhere on the west coast, personally.  Portland is an incredible city, and I would love to visit San Francisco.  However, I understand that the west is not such a good option for a lot of other Pocket Jury folks.  I could probably swing New York or DC, but it really depends on the timing of the Con.  Doing it in May or June would likely be a lot easier for me than July or August, though that isn't for certain, as I don't have concrete plans for next summer yet.  But I would love to be able to make it next year, and will definitely be trying, whereever it ends up.

Also, eastern-ish Canadian folks, we should plan something for Toronto or Montreal or something over Thanksgiving, or some other opportune time.

Lines

• Awakened

can we maybe do this thing somewhere in mid-august?

I think this time of year was a problem because that's when a lot of US people go back to school. I bring this up due to the fact that I am going to be trying my hardest to get into grad school this year and try to be in a program for '10/'11 and I know a lot of other people on here are still in school or I guess will be?

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

There's-No-Clever-Way-to-Say-Portland Con

dude PORTACON

the transformer you can carry around in your pocket

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

There are a bunch of Southwestern U.S. forumites to possibly consider. I'm hugely in favour of something on the west coast not just because San Diego is one of my favourite cities ever (HINT HINT) but also because it would give us a chance to hang out with people who, due to the comparative northeast location of the previous two meetups, haven't been able to make it. And I really want to go to NYC - in fact if I remember right I first pushed it in Meebo - but I also kind of want to give the people who haven't been able to come yet a chance.

It's Tough!!
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2009, 17:04 by Johnny C »
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

tania

• famed sex columnist

Also, eastern-ish Canadian folks, we should plan something for Toronto or Montreal or something over Thanksgiving, or some other opportune time.

toronto would probably be the best location for a mini canadacon since a bunch of us seem to already live in or very close to that area. i am totally up for this and available basically whenever.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

Also Chicago rules a LOT and visiting it is has left me with my first ever inklings that I might want to live somewhere besides Regina when I'm done school but another con there wouldn't make a lot of sense. Sorry!
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

can we maybe do this thing somewhere in mid-august?

I think this time of year was a problem because that's when a lot of US people go back to school. I bring this up due to the fact that I am going to be trying my hardest to get into grad school this year and try to be in a program for '10/'11 and I know a lot of other people on here are still in school or I guess will be?

Not to mention that July/August are the absolute hottest parts of the year in many of these areas chosen.

Personally, my opinion is the Austin is one of my favorite cities in the world, I have family there and I KNOW I could find an excuse to get down there (maybe even road trip) so it would be a top choice for me.

Edit: FUCK three new replies! you guys're faaaaast.

D.C. is obviously extremely close (40 minute drive) so I'd be totally up for it being there (and there is a lot of other stuff to do around the nation's capitol besides see the monuments/museums (music, theme parks, FREE ZOO anyone?)

New York is close, they pretty much have a year-round Big-Apple special from greyhound for like 30 bucks round trip so I could focus on lodging/fun stuff, and of course there's everything to do with being THE BIG APPLE.

Those are my suggestions. Of course I would love to go to California, I'm just not sure how feasible a long trip like that would be for me personally. Maybe. But damn do i love me some Austin, TX.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit

America, what the jizz is up with your schooling? Like when do classes start? Are you actually going to class in mid-august?

toronto would probably be the best location for a mini canadacon since a bunch of us seem to already live in or very close to that area. i am totally up for this and available basically whenever.
I am in for Toronto obviously but would be totally fine with Montreal instead.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug

san fran would be dope

just sayin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up