THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: PocketJury Con '10 Location Bidding - Rock the M-Fin' Vote  (Read 27952 times)

Lines

• Awakened

Classes tend to start towards the middle-end of August/beginning of September, which means a lot of people who don't live near their uni's have to pack up and move, etc. And yes, some people do have class in the middle of August.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit

Maybe it is because I am at a relatively young school and we do co-op work terms regularly, but we have three four month terms and things work nicely.

Like what are actual start dates for classes for an american college/university?
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!

Mid August is most people's first day. Mine is the 17th, but there are some areas who don't go back to school until after Labor Day, which is the first Monday in September.

Most schools have three semesters: fall, spring, and summer. All of them used to be on the quarter system, which was fall, winter, spring, and summer, but for some reason people decided it was better to change to semesters.
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2009, 17:55 by calenlass »
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit

Weird. We have Sept-Dec, Jan-Apr, May-Aug. I think we have had this discussion before but a part of me refuses to believe it.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses

Also, just because I totally failed to give my own opinions having posted the topic, I'm very pro-Austin, then moderately pro-Cali, then cannot possibly afford to go to any other suggested location.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics

TokyoCon
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

allison

• Bling blang blong blung
  • i really want a mustache

toronto would probably be the best location for a mini canadacon since a bunch of us seem to already live in or very close to that area. i am totally up for this and available basically whenever.
I am in for Toronto obviously but would be totally fine with Montreal instead.

Yes.
I vote Toronto (being poor and all).
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

Anywhere in the US would probably work for me, If it was on the West Coast I might even be able to drive!

All things being optimal, my best friend (whose dad is a pilot for United) would grab us super-cheap tickets and I would attend with her. She's super gay so I think San Fran would meet with the most enthusiasm from her. Plus I was born there so I can go to the apartment where I spent my first years. Plus, awesome food! Cheap seafood! Yay!

NYC, I have some friends out there that I can cavort with if you all turn out to be losers (looking at you Tania)

Just figure it out quick, fuckers. Like in the next 6 months.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right

toronto would probably be the best location for a mini canadacon since a bunch of us seem to already live in or very close to that area. i am totally up for this and available basically whenever.
I am in for Toronto obviously but would be totally fine with Montreal instead.

Yes.
I vote Toronto (being poor and all).

tronnocon part 2.
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx

if it's in portland I will definitely be able to come, my parents live there.

I might even be able to put up some sexy ladies for free! :dino:
also israel

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy

Sydneycon you fucks.

Jon and Rachel are welcome to stay on my couch, and if anyone is willing to put cash money towards it I will become a registered marriage celebrant and marry anyone who wants it.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.

Definite vote for DC, backup vote for NYC.  The museums in DC are mostly free, and the timing people are talking about for late spring would work perfectly; most college smesters tend to end early-to-mid May, leaving a pretty wide window before the tourists invade, as long as you don't go the weekend of the cherry blossom festival.  There's a pretty great nightlife in Northwest, all of the monuments are in or very near Southeast and well doable over a day's walk, and walking around the city there's plenty of great food to eat.  Plus, in addition to Busch Gardens and King's Dominion nearby, you've also got Six Flags and Water Country USA.  There are some pretty nice beaches that are only about 3 hours away on the Delaware coast (fuck Ocean City, it is shit), Baltimore is less than an hour away (Inner Harbor, great restaurants, and other assorted fun things to see are all downtown), and hell, there are a lot of us nearby.
Succeed where I/we have failed on the east coast, everyone.

DC? Really? Maybe it's because of all the hiphop I've been listening to and not really being into the government thing but it doesn't sound like a nice place!

Yes, the crime numbers on DC, paired with the hearsay of people who have gone and the like give the place a pretty bad rep.  But DC is just fine if you are with somebody who knows their way.  Pretty much, stay out of Southeast and you'll be fine.  This side of the Anacostia river is a relatively nice place.  And, shit, some places in Northwest (like the neighborhood my brother lives in) are pretty high-class.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Zingoleb

America, what the jizz is up with your schooling?

American school scheduling is still pretty much based around "kids need to go help bring in the crop all summer" idea. Yeah, we're a bit outdated. . .

calenlass

• queefcicle!

Sydneycon you fucks.

Jon and Rachel are welcome to stay on my couch, and if anyone is willing to put cash money towards it I will become a registered marriage celebrant and marry anyone who wants it.

How about earlier, like in May? Will that work?
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria

I have to totally back up JohnnyC, in that a more West-Coaster friendly con would be nice for those of us who really don't have a travel budget =3
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

calenlass

• queefcicle!

By next year I will have to pay for plane tickets, so.

So it pretty much changes nothing because I will still be able to fly to Glasgow for less than $350.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America

maybe I can bring my guns, and we can find a nice place to go geschutzen.
also israel

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki

D.C. is obviously extremely close (40 minute drive) so I'd be totally up for it being there (and there is a lot of other stuff to do around the nation's capitol besides see the monuments/museums (music, theme parks, FREE ZOO anyone?)

When I mentioned museums, I was including the zoo in that catch all. The DC zoo is seriously, I cannot stress this enough, the absolute coolest zoo I have ever been to.

New York is close, they pretty much have a year-round Big-Apple special from greyhound for like 30 bucks round trip

Actually, one can snag a bolt bus from DC to Philly to NYC for a buck if one has it booked far enough in advance. Megabus does a DC to Philly to NYC route, I think BoltBus has it too.

Sydneycon you fucks.

I can't afford a flight to Sidney, considering I'm still unemployed, but I totally vote for Sidneycon 2011. I really cannot fathom many things in life more exciting than the prospect of sleeping on a friend's couch on the other side of the fucking planet. I suddenly have a keen understanding of what it must've been like for you.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Sydneycon 2011 sounds like a plan (oz is in the pipeline here for 2011 anyway, and the plan is to close it off with a week of Sydney :) )
Quote from: Dr. Sidney Freeman
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

Melbourne, you bastards.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

may would be totally awesome if everyone wanted me to not attend. please schedule in may if you have no intention of seeing me at this con.

(the only way may would work for me is if we did it in NYC and happened to centre it around the weekend These Estates wanna spend there)
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work

I dunno if I would come to this, but you guys should do what dumbrella was talking about before it died and do like, a "cabin in the woods con." Like, find somewhere that you could rent either camping or a cabin or something, preferably near a lake, and then just like hang out and drink and swim and fish and all that shit. That sounds like badass awesome to me, personally.

Alternatively, DenverCon, for a good music scene and a beautiful setting in a place not too totally expensive, plus all sorts of fun outdoorsy shit like hiking and climbing and again, lakes.

Nashvillecon, because fuccin hell Nashville is an awesome city if you go to the right parts of it, and also really cheap.

Otherwise, San Francisco and Austin are the two best choices. Portland isn't that much fun to Con-steeze in(did it with dumbrella,) and the rest are honestly pretty played out.

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr

I am aiming to be in the USA in July 2010. I can probably rock up to any of the above places in the USA.
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

Beren

• Curry sauce

California is so.. west.

NY sounds awesome. Chi-town is possible. I live in WV, so I'm smack dab in the middle of nothingness, but close to a lot of things.
All About Strange Beasts of the Present

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

I am aiming to be in the USA in July 2010. I can probably rock up to any of the above places in the USA.

Hey, me too!

The lady and I are planning to go to the U.S mid-next-year and wander around the continent for a while and then hit Alberta and work on the ski-slopes over winter and then piss off travelling again. (N.B; Once we have some more solid details I am definitely going to be putting a thread up and try to hit some of you guys up for couch-space. Be aware.)

We're not concrete on the date we leave for 'cos apparently The Lady's cousin is having a wedding next year so depending on when that is and various finance factors, it could be anytime from late May to mid-July.

So with enough notice I imagine it wouldn't be too much of a big deal to put ourselves in any place for a Con. For what it is worth we are definitely going to D.C, NYC, Austin and SanFran anyway so all of those are pretty cool, with my personal pref for a con being SF. I'm not sure why.

calenlass

• queefcicle!

Goddammit you fuckers I was talking to Jimmy and I said May because I will be in Australia in May.

SydneyCon 2010 motherfuckers (May)

SomewhereelseCon 2010 (June or July)

calenlass

• queefcicle!

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor

tronnocon part 2.

I'm down.  When works for you folks?

Sox

• Scrabble hacker

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation

I'm like Johnny, I will not be out of school in May so if we have it then I won't be able to come. Selfishly it would be a lot easier and cheaper for me if it were in California, but I'm hoping to work part-time during this school year so if that goes well money shouldn't be an issue like it was for Chicago. But I do want to point out, as someone already did, that DC is absolutely fucking miserable during the summertime.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!

I wanna be in the PRFBBBQ Kareoke so bad. I was thinking I will find a suit a million times my size and do a Talking Heads song.

sean

• welp

jesus chirst you guys i mean yeah its hot and humid in dc during the summer but remember people still live there! it is bearable! its not like, saharacon 2010.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

I don't know man, people* were already describing the heat here as like a sauna on the surface of the sun, and it wasn't even remotely as hot as DC gets at the height of summer.

*By "people" I mean tommy.

calenlass

• queefcicle!

You guys, stop bitching about it being miserably hot in DC. Until we do Charleston, South Carolina-Con, you have no right do whine.

However, I AM against DC in the summer because it will be so goddamn crowded with people.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy

Also if we did Sydney in December. Hot hot hot!

Also Katie I'm fairly certain that we would make time to hang out.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker

I'm up for Sydney any time, assuming I'm still living here.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Also if we did Sydney in December. Hot hot hot!

My brain would not comprehend this for around a minute. I had to reread it a few times to remember that the seasons are switched up in the future.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

allison

• Bling blang blong blung
  • i really want a mustache

tronnocon part 2.

I'm down.  When works for you folks?

Literally all the time. I live just outside of the city, so I can be there whenever you guys choose!
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh

I would be inclined to say New York or DC because they have the cheapest flights there from Chicago, but really my expenses in this regard are practically negligible compared to everyone else. For example, I could fly to and from NY for a little over 200 USD. Sure is nice to have a huge international airport in town!

tania

• famed sex columnist

i'll know a little more clearly next year what my deal is but right now it looks like i'm about 95% likely to show up at a DC or NYC meetup and maybe 75% likely to show up at a meetup anywhere else, the main factor being how much it'll cost me. being within driving distance will definitely make things a lot easier for me financially as i can maybe take some other people in the toronto area who want to go and we can split up gas costs or something. time of year also makes absolutely no difference to me except for the before september part, but again, i think that's a given for anyone in school anyway.

I have some friends out there that I can cavort with if you all turn out to be losers (looking at you Tania)

heeeeyyy
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

ackblom12

Me and Kat are 50/50 on if we can make it next year due to us moving for her grad school, but NYC is our top vote with Austin as a secondary.

calenlass

• queefcicle!

So maybe we should get a poll going? The top suggestions are New York, Austin, and DC, right? Is Sandy Eggo still in the running? If so, that is included.

AAAAAANNNND go

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit

i can maybe take some other people in the toronto area

yes

Lise

• Furry furrier
    • Face Me

New York is overrated, guys!

San Francisco's the most fun I've had in the west coast, and that's my vote!

Secondly would be Austin because well... it's only a 4 hour drive away  :lol:, and I'm a bit more familiar with it. Plus, there's fun excursions less than an hour away from there, like tubing down the Guadalupe River or Schlitterbahn!

DC does sound cool, though, I never thought of that.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America

PORTLAND CON 2010

Empty quote this post if you think portlandcon is a grrrreat idea!
also israel

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

I'm best up for Austin, Portland, San Fran or NYC. DC does not really excite me.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!

Guys let's just do SF so I can go and then Johnny C and I can be in a band.
it's time to stop posting

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses

SAN FRANCISCO IT IS
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Lines

• Awakened

My first vote goes to New York, second goes to Austin. NY because I like the city and Austin because I like it there and also it's more towards the middle of the country.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Zingoleb

portacon

Okay, so, I understand that you still really don't know me, but this is a fairly far off event. Since at some point I plan on *moving* to Portland, I really wouldn't mind spending some time there beforehand.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up