THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Darabont takes The Walking Dead to TV  (Read 61093 times)

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
Re: Darabont takes The Walking Dead to TV
« Reply #50 on: 01 Nov 2010, 01:04 »

never read the comic but i was impressed by the pilot. Funny how Lenny James can't seem to play in anything but post-apocalyptic tv series. Not thats a bad thing he's pretty awesome in them.
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #51 on: 01 Nov 2010, 12:40 »

I've never read the comic so near the end when he was under the tank I was really optimistic for a turnabout play and find out he dies there and we spent the entire pilot not following the main character. That would've been rad.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #52 on: 01 Nov 2010, 14:11 »

I think that would actually be an awesome idea for a series.

You start out with this really lovable main character who struggles to deal with the zombies and everything, then, halfway through episode 2 or 3, you kill him and the rest of the series is nothing but shots of zombies mulling about set to minimalist ambient music.
It would be like some kind of, like, commentary...man....about...like, you know...how we are all, like, pretty inept...or something. Yeah.

Take that, sponsors and audience members!

Anyway, I enjoyed the premier and am really looking forward to see how it goes from here. It's stuck pretty close to the book so far, but I mean....it can't be exactly the same, for obvious reasons. So I'm excited to see what changes there are and how they are handled, as well as how the actors do. I didn't like the guy playing Rick at first, but thinking back I realized that I didn't like Rick at first either, so maybe he's actually perfect. I really like the music; it's pretty excellent and subdued for the most part, though it can get a bit ridiculous and overly dramatic at times.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

KaosPilot

• Furry furrier
    • Confessions of a Creative Writer
« Reply #53 on: 01 Nov 2010, 16:39 »

Watched the first episode. After reading all this I wasn't going to wait til the UK air date.

Well it was just great. I can't wait to see how the first season unfolds and to see more of the characters.   

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #54 on: 02 Nov 2010, 10:27 »

I've never read the comic so near the end when he was under the tank I was really optimistic for a turnabout play and find out he dies there and we spent the entire pilot not following the main character. That would've been rad.

That. Exactly that.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #55 on: 02 Nov 2010, 11:11 »

I don't understand you two, how can you not have read one of the most awesome zombie comics there is?  That's like not having seen The Godfather.

Then again my best friend hasn't seen the Godfather yet.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #56 on: 02 Nov 2010, 11:35 »

I've never sat all the way through the Godfather 'cuz I kept getting kinda bored.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #57 on: 02 Nov 2010, 13:36 »

The Godfather insists upon itself. That's why I've never seen it.

Anyway, loved, loved, loved the pilot. Got a little tired/bored with the lightswitch conversation, but I understand how it was needed to paint Shane as a douchebag. LOVED the opening sequence of Rick headshotting the little girl. Disappointed with the "sudden reveal" of Lori & Carl -- Rick is so frantic about finding them, but suddenly we switch over to the Atlanta camp and there they are... Kinda lame.

I keep reading debates on whether this will be a character-driven or plot-driven show. I don't care which, (actually I'm kinda rooting for plot-driven, 'cause I'm hoping lots of characters get killed off!), I just want this show to continue to kick ass. 8.1 million total viewers (5.3mm on the original broadcast) -- the most of any season premier of a cable show in 2010, and the most for AMC ever.

Darabont & Kirkman have specifically said that the TV show is going to be different than the books, so be prepared for certain characters to stay alive and others to die when it should be vice-versa.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #58 on: 03 Nov 2010, 07:25 »

I don't understand you two, how can you not have read one of the most awesome zombie comics there is?  That's like not having seen The Godfather.

I don't read comics. Takes too much time from listening to music.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #59 on: 03 Nov 2010, 10:50 »

I don't understand you two, how can you not have read one of the most awesome zombie comics there is?  That's like not having seen The Godfather.

I don't read comics. Takes too much time from listening to music.

Those things are practically tailor-made to be done at the same time!

They use two completely different sense-organs! Come on, put that brain to use!
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #60 on: 03 Nov 2010, 11:08 »

The Godfather insists upon itself. That's why I've never seen it.

Cause it's got a valid point to make, so it's insisting!!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #61 on: 03 Nov 2010, 11:16 »

I think that would actually be an awesome idea for a series.

You start out with this really lovable main character who struggles to deal with the zombies and everything, then, halfway through episode 2 or 3, you kill him and the rest of the series is nothing but shots of zombies mulling about set to minimalist ambient music.
It would be like some kind of, like, commentary...man....about...like, you know...how we are all, like, pretty inept...or something. Yeah.

Take that, sponsors and audience members!
Didnt the first evil dead movie kind of do that?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #62 on: 03 Nov 2010, 11:35 »

Those things are practically tailor-made to be done at the same time!

They use two completely different sense-organs! Come on, put that brain to use!

Better excuse: I spend any money that I would use to buy comic books on vinyl.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #63 on: 04 Nov 2010, 10:15 »

My view on the first episode :

The non-zombie sequences were tense, which is rare. I loved the stairwell scene -- the use of matches flaring and going out created a lot of tension without the use of a scare or a shambler.
The acting throughout the episode was superb. A scene consisting of your protagonist losing his cohesion and breaking down over his wife and son is not an easy thing to pull off convincingly. When you're in your chair pulling for him "Come on man, get up; get your shit together!" then you can be sure there will be plenty of gut-wrenching scenes among the gut wrenching ones.

A few scenes were damned hard to watch. Morgan trying and eventually failing to shoot his wife was riveting. I immediately reacted to the horse being killed. But it was a good scene, establishing the city as a death trap we all knew it would be without using a lot of gimmicks. The set and cinematography is amazing. It gives off the perfect gritty feeling in a more 'brownish' / neutral type of view.  

I think the pace set the mood and helped the audience empathize with exactly how the main character is feeling. All zombie movies / shows have a zombie massacre. The moral dilemmas and emotional conflict the characters face will make the series, not the gore and random killing of zombies . . I'm actually less looking forward to the second episode's action. Most action based zombie scenes are generically similar. Suspense and drama are hard to be done correctly while building an identifiable character base. This pilot achieved that.  

9.8/10
« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2010, 10:17 by DavidGrohl »

Aurjay

« Reply #64 on: 07 Nov 2010, 19:33 »

Im confused about one thing so far in the series. Is the woman in the refugee camp that was having sex with the man the cops wife? Maybe i missed that part but im thinking she is. If so what a bitch. She left her husband in the hospital and ran off with some other guy. That's just weak. Now granted if he was still in a coma then guess you would have to leave him but from what it looks like to me she was already with this other guy anyway.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #65 on: 07 Nov 2010, 20:13 »

Is the woman in the refugee camp that was having sex with the man the cops wife?
Yes
from what it looks like to me she was already with this other guy anyway.
How can you tell
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Aurjay

« Reply #66 on: 07 Nov 2010, 21:49 »

thot it was from the previous episode something being mentioned. Also guess she just seems to be sleeping with him pretty quick and not caring about her wedding ring enough to feel guilty about having sex right in front of it. I might be wrong on though. Anyways i can't wait to see the next episode since it looks like they are all gonna be together.

DavidGrohl

« Reply #67 on: 07 Nov 2010, 21:54 »

seems to be sleeping with him pretty quick and not caring about her wedding ring enough to feel guilty about having sex . . .

We don't know how long he was actually in the coma, but yes it was still quick.  Then again, they might have been having trouble as we heard in the first episode of him complaining about the relationship.

She obviously does care because she set her locket or whatever it was aside and hesitated before continuing with the deed.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #68 on: 07 Nov 2010, 22:47 »

dude okay.

obviously, a"officer friendly" was in the hospital for a while, seeing as how by the time he woke up the entire world has gone to complete shit. so his wife probably cut town in a hurry with the group of people she's currently with, i guess to make a break for the refugee camp that doesnt really exist. and i doubt she'd fooled around with friendly's buddy before, considering how she had the big throw away the wedding ring moment. and besides, if you escaped yr town with a loved one in a hospital during the zombie apocalypse, do you honestly think you would expect them to be alive? i dunno, her actions really dont seem bitchy, but just human. as far as she's concered, her husband is probably dead and she's probably craving some form of human contact.

oh god. nerdrage
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #69 on: 07 Nov 2010, 23:55 »

This is just like that time on Castaway
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Aurjay

« Reply #70 on: 08 Nov 2010, 01:48 »

don't think this has gotten to the lvl of nerdrage yet but whatever. I stated in my earlier post i was probably wrong, but was just curious. All will be found out in upcoming episodes anyway so no big deal...Sheesh

DavidGrohl

« Reply #71 on: 08 Nov 2010, 05:01 »

don't think this has gotten to the lvl of nerdrage yet but whatever. I stated in my earlier post i was probably wrong, but was just curious. All will be found out in upcoming episodes anyway so no big deal...Sheesh

That concerns me.  I don't see how they can possibly wrap up and sort of conclusion to the story in four more episodes.

It's not that I doubt there will a second season, but it seems like there's going to be a guaranteed cliff hanger.

Aurjay

« Reply #72 on: 08 Nov 2010, 09:29 »

Wait there is only 4 episodes left? Man i really need to pay attention more. I thot it was gonna be a regular season with 13 episodes or whatever. But ya if thats the case then most definitely gonna leave a lot of unanswered questions.

DavidGrohl

« Reply #73 on: 08 Nov 2010, 09:33 »

Wait there is only 4 episodes left? Man i really need to pay attention more. I thot it was gonna be a regular season with 13 episodes or whatever. But ya if thats the case then most definitely gonna leave a lot of unanswered questions.

I believe it was stated that the original first season is going to be six episodes.

Subsequent seasons (if picked up) will be 12-13 episodes in length.  I have no source.  I just remember reading that somewhere.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #74 on: 08 Nov 2010, 09:55 »

Heh.

"If picked up"

AMC already has two of the biggest, most critically adored shows on cable- and that's including premium channels- and this topped both of them. I'd say it's sticking around.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #75 on: 08 Nov 2010, 15:35 »

Why is everyone related to reach other? That's the only thing that bothered me. That's way too much of a coincidence and I feel like it takes away from the intended suspense in being lost and without anyone you know in Georgia.

DavidGrohl

« Reply #76 on: 08 Nov 2010, 16:18 »

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2010/11/season-2-renewal.php

Just got renewed for the second season.

Walking Dead held up in its second airing last night. It drew 4.7 million viewers . .

Impressive.
« Last Edit: 08 Nov 2010, 16:20 by DavidGrohl »

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #77 on: 08 Nov 2010, 18:09 »

Why is everyone related to reach other? That's the only thing that bothered me. That's way too much of a coincidence and I feel like it takes away from the intended suspense in being lost and without anyone you know in Georgia.

How else are they supposed to get a zombie soap opera off the ground?

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #78 on: 08 Nov 2010, 21:54 »

well, and really, what do you expect? you're trying to survive the apocalypse, it's not singles night at the local bar. you band together with the people closest to you, which often means the people you live with, which is usually family unless you live in an apartment or something, and the cities get pretty fucked. most of the survivors will be from rural communities, and most people that live in rural communities are families.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #79 on: 08 Nov 2010, 21:56 »

anyway i enjoyed the second episode lots, though not as much as the pilot.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #80 on: 08 Nov 2010, 22:03 »

A lot of people blame it on the total racist douchebag character, saying he's completely preposterous. They're not wrong.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #81 on: 08 Nov 2010, 22:05 »

yeah he sucked. the chopping-up-the-dead-dude-for-the-gut-stench part was great though.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #82 on: 08 Nov 2010, 22:26 »

I'm gonna come in an defend aurjay and say that it's possible the wife and friend were together before the outbreak. The conversation in the car with sheriff dude talking about how distant and cruel she's been while the other dude referring cryptically to "this girl" foreshadows it a bit, I think. That not being the case is also entirely possible to though I'm just saying.

I am, however, going to say that, assuming it's not the case, I don't think she's an awful person, but the friend is. Her husband is dead or, worse, undead and she wants physical contact with someone or, uh, just sex. Whatever. She has her pick of dudes she finds attractive and her husband is gone. The friend on, the other hand, also has his pick of ladies and he chooses his dead friend's wife? Low, bro. Low.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #83 on: 08 Nov 2010, 22:34 »

Yeah I think we'll all be rooting for his inevitable disembowelment.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #84 on: 08 Nov 2010, 22:43 »

Some of the commentary I've seen and heard on this show has been predictable, and by that I mean predictably entertaining. For example:

Quote from: Some Dude On The Internet
THE WAY THEY DEVELOPED THE FIRST EPISODE STAYS TRUE TO THE COMIC BOOK, THIS JUST SEEMS UNFAMILIAR TO ME

The all-caps wasn't my idea. That poster just really wanted you to understand his fear and confusion when faced with the unknown. I applaud his willingness to lay it down like that without any ambiguity.

T-Dog vs. Merle hit me as a misstep. Partly because they're named T-Dog and Merle. Between that and the total douche factor it just suddenly felt too cut rate zombie movie caricature to me, and not really in a way that was  a credit to the mood already established by the pilot. I kinda wish entertainment in general would take a cue from Borat. Most people with racist leanings aren't really boiling cauldrons of incoherent rage. They just have no idea what the fuck they're talking about. Racism is often more akin to superstition than anything else.

Man, I can't handle "Widows are off limits by virtue of Dude Law" jokes. I don't like remembering that people actually think like that.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #85 on: 08 Nov 2010, 23:31 »

Going from Frank Darabont to someone whose only respectable directing credit is a few episodes of Breaking Bad is a bit of a jarring transition, too. The pilot set the standards for the show rather high.

rae

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #86 on: 09 Nov 2010, 09:14 »

It was a lot better than I was expecting. Considering I'd seen a lot of '28 Days Later' comparisons beforehand, I didn't really get that. Looking forward to the next episode and the comic is now on my christmas list.

I felt sorry for the horse though. Poor horse.
Mook.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #87 on: 09 Nov 2010, 16:03 »

Sorta spoiler alert!

How much you want to bet that Dixon is going to end up with the Governor?
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #88 on: 09 Nov 2010, 16:51 »

Dang yeah.

I'm liking the changes they're putting through, it's making me want to watch the show because it'll be different enough to be interesting.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #89 on: 09 Nov 2010, 17:32 »

It was a lot better than I was expecting. Considering I'd seen a lot of '28 Days Later' comparisons beforehand, I didn't really get that. Looking forward to the next episode and the comic is now on my christmas list.
Pretty sure the opening sequence of 28 Days Later is a hat tip to the comic.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #90 on: 09 Nov 2010, 18:03 »

28 days later came out in 2002, the comic first came out in 2003.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #91 on: 09 Nov 2010, 18:15 »

Danny Boyle is a time traveller.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #92 on: 09 Nov 2010, 18:41 »

No no no, that's far too complicated. You have to invoke Occam's Razor here.

Clearly the answer is that Danny Boyle is Robert Kirkman!

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #93 on: 09 Nov 2010, 19:22 »

I had my suspicions

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #94 on: 10 Nov 2010, 06:12 »

Danny Boyle is the 12th Doctor.

fyp

Aurjay

« Reply #95 on: 14 Nov 2010, 20:00 »

ya i take back everything i said. Seems she was either lied to or not given accurate information about her husband by his best friend. Really good episode though. Bums me out thats there is only 3 more episodes left. Hopefully they wont take a full cycle before the new season starts.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #96 on: 15 Nov 2010, 13:11 »

yeah new episode was far better than last week's. the redneck's brother is way cooler than he is too.

character drama > mindless zombie killing. zombies work way better as props.

Aurjay

« Reply #97 on: 15 Nov 2010, 15:59 »

does anyone else find it odd that they seemed to find every class and race of person to be in their camp. You have black guy, black girl, white rednecks, white female bussiness woman, white family,asian kid, latino family and white guy that beats his wife. I think they figured if they covered all the bases than everyone will want to watch it.

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #98 on: 15 Nov 2010, 16:34 »

We need angry Australians.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #99 on: 15 Nov 2010, 16:36 »

YOU'RE GODDAMNED FUCKING RIGHT THEY DO, YOU CUNTS
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up