Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 9?  (Read 13326 times)

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
9?
« on: 30 May 2009, 00:54 »

9!

I really don't know what else to tell you.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

scarred

• Older than Moses
Re: 9?
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2009, 01:01 »

Saw the first trailer ages ago... still want to see it, very much. It's rare that a CG movie that isn't Pixar peaks my interest, but this definitely has.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2009, 04:26 »

I wonder if Neil Gaiman will be angry that there's more emphasis on the name Tim Burton than Shane Acker.

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2009, 10:53 »

Looks really good!

I sure did think you were talking about the musical before I clicked, though.
"It's funny how you think I'm an asshole because I've got HIGH self esteem"

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2009, 19:15 »

It looks awesome.  I was interested in it before I saw the trailer, but the use of Welcome Home in it was great.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2009, 22:21 »

I'd heard about it for a while, but only knew that it was a CG-i movie with Elijah Wood playing a voice. I finally saw a trailer yesterday, and I can't wait to see it!
Hate, rain on me

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2009, 22:31 »

This looks pretty awesome, despite being vaguely associated with Tim Burton somehow.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2009, 06:43 »

Well playing up the Tim Burton angle (even if he's just a producer) will rope in all the teenage goth kids (though looking at the trailer, that won't be hard).
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2009, 16:34 »

Hmmmm

Looks interesting.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

LittleKey

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #9 on: 01 Jun 2009, 18:08 »

This looks pretty awesome, despite being vaguely associated with Tim Burton somehow.

Wait, are you saying you don't like Tim Burton? How does someone not like Tim Burton?
yahoo answers is the new youtube comments

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #10 on: 01 Jun 2009, 18:16 »

I think he makes mediocre movies?

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #11 on: 01 Jun 2009, 18:16 »

You know, I like Tim Burton for the most part, but he's put out some absolute shit in his day. I can see why there are people who do not enjoy his stuff.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #12 on: 01 Jun 2009, 20:34 »

He makes two kinds of movies and I don't much care for either kind.  A lot of them are filled with potential but end up falling on their faces.  I think this movie could be really good, but I am expecting it to end up somewhere in the middle.  I'm also not sure how I feel about Timur Bembatkov (sic) being attached to this, either.  Night Watch was okay, Day Watch wasn't, and Wanted was aggravating.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #13 on: 01 Jun 2009, 23:36 »

The problem with Burton is that he is primarily known for only a couple of films. He did Batman and Batman Returns, both of which were ok. I wouldn't say they were amazing but at the very least they were enjoyable. He did Edward Scissorhands which everyone seems to love though I watched it again the other day and honestly it is not amazing. Pretty much everyone shat all over his Planet of the Apes remake and the film that he is perhaps most well-known for, The Nightmare Before Christmas, he didn't actually direct. He wrote the story and designed some of the characters. All in all, when he's on form he's directed or at least been involved with some of my favourite films. When he's off form he is fucking terrible.

Either way he is a producer in this one so I don't expect to really see that much of his handiwork in the film.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #14 on: 02 Jun 2009, 00:26 »

Yeah, he's fast turning into Steven Spielberg: he'll "produce" or "executive produce," A.K.A. attach the finances to, lots of films to give it A) a bigger budget and B) the name brand that goes with being Tim Burton. Example: Coraline. Just because a producer is signed on doesn't mean they have any creative say in the development of the film at all, especially if they own their own studio.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #15 on: 02 Jun 2009, 08:30 »

Guys, Tim Burton made Pee-wee's Big Adventure and Beetlejuice.

Just sayin'.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #16 on: 02 Jun 2009, 08:33 »

Also when the little number 9 dude looks out the window at the beginning of the trailer doesn't it look like he has a dink?

I don't think I am okay with that.

messeduplilkid

• Larger than most fish
    • TheRoarer.
« Reply #17 on: 02 Jun 2009, 12:09 »

It's the handle to the zipper on his belly!

MrBridge

• Plantmonster
« Reply #18 on: 03 Jun 2009, 11:50 »

Guys, Tim Burton made Pee-wee's Big Adventure and Beetlejuice.

Just sayin'.

And...?

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure was great...when I was 5. Beetlejuice is a classic movie.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #19 on: 03 Jun 2009, 17:30 »

You were cooler when you were 5 than you are now.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #20 on: 05 Jun 2009, 09:26 »

Ed Wood, people.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21 on: 08 Jun 2009, 02:12 »

Honestly, Vincent gives Tim Burton damn near infinite cachet with me.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #22 on: 30 Aug 2009, 12:05 »

Bump

Anyone gonna go see this?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

kemon

• Furry furrier
  • seriously
« Reply #23 on: 30 Aug 2009, 14:43 »

heck yes.  this one looks really fun.
biting's excellent.  it's like kissing, only there's a winner.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #24 on: 30 Aug 2009, 14:54 »

I'm thinking very strongly about doing so, though I don't see lots of movies in theaters.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #25 on: 30 Aug 2009, 15:54 »

I will be!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #26 on: 30 Aug 2009, 16:51 »

Definitely.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #27 on: 30 Aug 2009, 17:21 »

I will most definitely be attending this one.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #28 on: 30 Aug 2009, 18:54 »

I'm less and less sure of this film by the day.  I don't know why, but watching the trailers is starting to get annoying.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #29 on: 31 Aug 2009, 02:53 »

I figure it's an ok idea to link the short film that this movie is based on. Considering that it is going to be directed by the same guy (who also wrote the original short) I have reasonable hopes for the movie. Honestly I'm really looking forward to it.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #30 on: 09 Sep 2009, 21:02 »

Got back from it a little bit ago. I'm kind of underwhelmed.

Without delving into spoilers, I found it to be visually stunning, but absolutely paper thin in terms of story and plot. Certain parts of the exposition seemed like they were just thrown in last minute for the sake of it making the vaguest bit of sense. There were multiple plot holes that irked me coming out. It kind of felt like Corpse Bride to me in that it had a lot of promise, but ended about ten to twenty minutes sooner than it should have, almost as if the editor just threw up his hands and yelled "fuck it, I've had enough."
JON MADE ME GAY

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #31 on: 09 Sep 2009, 21:04 »

Let's be honest, the short film didn't hold that much promise in terms of a feature length movie, and that (from the previews) seems to be exactly what happened with it.  Was it at least entertaining?
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #32 on: 09 Sep 2009, 21:07 »

Yes. I won't deny that. It's worth going to just for the sheer scope of the animation. It's obvious that the plot takes a back seat to the visual splendor of it all.

I'm just disappointed. It had the chops to be a great movie, but it turned out merely pretty alright. Visually stunning is great the first run through, but this movie will likely be forgotten a few years down the road once its visuals are considered mundane.

Do I regret seeing it? No. Would I pay to see it again? Also no.
JON MADE ME GAY

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #33 on: 10 Sep 2009, 05:32 »

Yeah, it was certainly pretty and kinda fun, but... yeah, plot was missing somewhere.  I wouldn't pay to see it again, and I probably wouldn't bother pirating it either.
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #34 on: 10 Sep 2009, 13:53 »

Does anyone notice Tim Burton's man-love of Johnny Depp?  It seems like he plays in a good number of his movies.

I still think A nightmare before christmas was a great movie, and the cover of "this is holloween" by marilyn manson is pretty sweet.  It gave off that creepy feeling of holloween.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #35 on: 10 Sep 2009, 15:04 »

Yeah, I saw this yesterday and there really isn't much to say about it that they haven't already covered by Jon and Pen.  It has very creative art design, but all told, it's just an action movie.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #36 on: 11 Sep 2009, 02:58 »

I am pretty sad that it wasn't released in Australia on the 09/09/09.  Aaron and I had been counting down the days only top be hit with BAM not a worldwide release. BASTARDS.  it will be forever before we get it!
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #37 on: 11 Sep 2009, 10:50 »

I enjoyed it a lot. It was very visually interesting, and all of the different clockwork ideas and inventions, not to mention the monsters, were pretty creative. The plot does leave you wanting more, but I was interested in what was there. The characters were also not completely one-dimensional, which I found refreshing.
Hate, rain on me

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #38 on: 11 Sep 2009, 11:00 »

Quote from: The trailer for 9
NOW GET IN THE GROUND.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #39 on: 14 Sep 2009, 08:50 »

9 is a really great movie. I went with some friends to see the screening the night before it opened, and it was easily the best movie I have seen in a few years. I really liked the plot, actually, even though there wasn't much context for it. Acker did a pretty good job involving the audience, I think, making them care about the fate of his characters and stuff. I actually like that there isn't a lot of explanation and that it is just a post-apocalyptic snapshot of this one day after humanity is finally gone.

Tim Burton is a pretty good producer, actually. He doesn't stick his hands in everything and twist things around to be how he would have made it or tweak it to his own taste or opinion or whatever. So, despite what you think of him as a director, he does some pretty decent production.
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2009, 08:55 by calenlass »
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #40 on: 14 Sep 2009, 12:16 »

I think 'great' is going too far. The concept is phenomenal, but the execution was lacking and seemed incredibly rushed.
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #41 on: 14 Sep 2009, 12:41 »

My biggest issue is that most of the dialogue was trenched firmly in the territory of action movie speak. The lines make sense given the context, of course, but the fact that action movies are rarely capable of offering much more than shouted commands, self-conscious irony or awkward platitudes is definitely one of the limitations of the genre and goes a long way towards explaining why I usually give them a pass. Otherwise, I'm fine with a moving feeling like a snapshot, as Katie put it, so I didn't think the movie felt all that rushed until near the end, which admittedly had me fidgeting a bit and ready to leave. I probably have liked it a bit better without some tacked on pseudo-closure.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #42 on: 21 Sep 2009, 01:57 »

It won't be out here until January 21st 2010 :(

I hate everything.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #43 on: 21 Sep 2009, 19:16 »

9 was absolutely the biggest let-down in a long, long time.  There was some beautiful art but also some horrible animation.  It had a good premise but one of the worst written stories in the past year or two.  It had major plot holes too...the kind that really bothered me.

What bothered me quite a bit was the quality of animation.  I know that Pixar is WAY ahead but I thought that the animation studio could have done better.  The fabric of the dolls was almost always out of focus and that started getting to me.  Also the animation quality for anything moving in the background was horrible.  There were a lot of really nice little touches but overrall the animation wasn't stellar.  The setting, however, was.  To see an animation that isn't saturated with bright colours was really nice.  It was dark and gritty enough while still being a kids film.

I thought the premise was really cool and I went in knowing that the story itself was it's weakest point.  But wow it cannot be stated how horribly this film is written.  We only learn about the story twice.  The rest of the film is action.  Now, that sounds really cool but it got quite boring.  The action had no impact because I couldn't connect or care about any of the characters.  The characters aren't even well formed enough to be cliches. 

9 could have been amazing.  It really, really could have.  But they decided to make it a really generic action film instead. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up