THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: District 9  (Read 27266 times)

Shok Xone Studios

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Wasn't he also "Vigo the Butch"?
    • ShokXoneStudios.com
District 9
« on: 13 Aug 2009, 21:14 »

I attended a preview screening of the film tonight. We had free passes and they were giving out movie posters on the way in, so already we were off to a good start. Add to that the audience was full of adults who FUCKING KNOW HOW TO BEHAVE IN A MOVIE THEATER, and we're in for a fun time at the movies. Then the movie is so good the audience breaks into applause at the end credits; now that's a trip to the cinema, folks.

"District 9" strikes one of those great balances of brains and spectacle that we don't get nearly as often as we should. D9 not only presents a startlingly bleak "what if" scenario of first contact, but provides enough slam-bang visuals to put many a major blockbuster to shame.

The movie is presented at first in a mockumentary style, then dips into a straight narrative, and hops back and forth a few times as events play out. This is the style I hope the eventual "World War Z" film would take, and after seeing it put to such amazing use here, I'd recommend handing the project to Neill Blomkamp and co. Along with newsreel and documentary footage, the action has something of a Paul Greengrass feel while inserting some stylish action shots, including a "gunbarrel POV" steadicam effect that I grew quite fond of.

The action is centered on Wikus (Sharlto Copley), an agent of the MNU assigned to handle the relocation of the residents of District 9, nicknamed "prawns" by the human race (and rightfully so, as they look like distant relatives of Zoidberg). Wikus starts out as a smiling bureaucrat, happily joining in on the humiliation and oppression of the alien refugees. His turnaround starts as he's exposed to a strange chemical that turns him into an enemy of the state, forcing him back to D9 for help. The film is cast entirely with unknowns, making everything that transpires all the easier to accept, as you're focusing on the story rather than the actors, although I bet Copley will be hard-pressed to stay anonymous if this movie makes the big bucks I hope it will. He handles the character with a certain slimy charm and goofiness as the film begins, turning slowly but surely into a believable reluctant hero, while remaining imperfect person; he's first driven by company loyalty, then by selfishness to cure his new-found "condition", resulting in some realistically bad decisions on his part. Only at the very end does he become a truly noble character, and it's here the film slips precariously into cliche and sap, but with all the fireworks going off at the story's climax, you're likely to forgive a misstep or two.

Effects-wise the film also shines. The prawns' CGI is highly-detailed and surprisingly emotive; you never quite get the sense they're really there, but certainly that there's a living on-screen presence, especially in scenes in which no humans are involved. Also of note are the alien weapons, including a hulking cyber-suit that plays a central part in a thunderous shootout. Imagine an upgraded version of Ripley's power loader from "Aliens" and you'll have a good sense of the shit this thing tears up.

The aliens' hand weapons are of importance to the film's subplot, in which government researchers and black market dealers (led by a super-creepy guy in a wheelchair with ambitions of consuming the aliens' power through consumption) collect and test the machinery, though they can only be activated by prawn DNA. Once we see this stuff in action, the film earns its R rating faster than Donald Trump earns your annual salary. There are few greater joys in cinema than a theater full of people reacting in unison to something sick happening on screen, and such was the case as human bodies were literally turned to greasy red smears on the ground and walls.

I love watching shit blow up, and I love movies that can make me think; if I can get the two hand-in-hand, all the better. "District 9" reminded me a great deal of "Children of Men" in its themes and filmmaking style, and in my humble opinion can happily take a place next to it on the list of great 21st-century sci-fi flicks.

P.S. Dear Hollywood: Let Jackson and Blomkamp make "Halo" already.
SHOK XONE STUDIOS.com
Art is love. Love is destructive. That's what I told the police when I blew up the museum.

oh look I has arts for sale

scarred

• Older than Moses
Re: District 9
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2009, 02:46 »

Just for the lolz. I really wanna see this.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2009, 03:08 »

Peter Jackson talks about District 9 and some other stuff

ehhh I probably won't be able to see it.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2009, 12:26 »

Just for the lolz. I really wanna see this.

This movie was fucking awesome, saw it at midnight last night and was completely blown away. I am quoting this because the friend I saw it with was complaining that "the aliens weren't evil enough" after we got out, while simultaneously saying the film was too hollywood.

But really this is one of the best sci-fi films I've seen in a really long time.

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2009, 07:30 »

Saw it today. So good. So very good.
Go see it. really. dont wait for DVD, dont download it. Go see it. there is nothing that can mirror the thing of being in a cinima and feeling the floor vibrate with the deep noise of the engines. or the full sorround sound, with the interveiwers speaking from behind you and the person on the camera speaking from the screen.

also before the guy gets in the robot thing, when it does the thing with the bullets .... So fucking cool.

so just to reiterate. GO. SEE. THIS. MOVIE.

But really this is one of the best sci-fi films I've seen in a really long time.
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2009, 18:26 »

I really, REALLY want to see this film but I have to wait another week.  My girlfriend has promised to see it with me but she doesn't move down to Victoria for another week, so hopefully I'll see it within the next two weeks.  I have really, really high expectations for this film and from what I've heard, I'm probably not going to be disappointed.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2009, 07:07 »

I really want to see this too but right now it isn't even mentioned in the 'Coming Soon' list in the cinema. :(
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2009, 13:07 »

Oh man, so good.  I especially love that lightening gun.  Every time they used it my cousin and I cheered.

:cry:

Lise

• Furry furrier
    • Face Me
« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2009, 13:32 »

Exploding people were awesome, 'nuff said.

Go watch this movie, everyone! I enjoyed it, minus the shaky-cam. It wasn't exactly a direct metaphor for the Apartheid either, but I could see some similarities.

MMM CRAWFISH AND CATFOOD

variable_star

• Furry furrier
    • BATTLE MASTERS!
« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2009, 09:33 »

This is, hands down, the film of the year. I cannot think of a single criticism to level at the work, it's simply flawless*.

Link to the excellent OST, for those interested:

http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,19792.msg848317.html#msg848317

* To avoid confusion, I feel it prudent to note that the word "flawless" is used here to denote that the subject has nothing negative to report about the film. There is no guarantee (implied, expressed or otherwise) that the film itself is, indeed, "flawless".
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2009, 13:31 by variable_star »

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2009, 09:42 »

I will probably check this out at a Saturday matinee this weekend.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Lise

• Furry furrier
    • Face Me
« Reply #11 on: 20 Aug 2009, 10:26 »

I don't know whether or not hype factored into the fact that I enjoyed District 9 as much as I did, but I wouldn't say it's flawless. The pacing of the movie is a bit slow during the beginning "documentary phase," but I suppose that's what the director intended. Also, if you can stand the shaky cam, props to you, because I felt nauseous throughout the movie.

That said, I'm glad District 9 became District 9 and not the Halo movie that it was originally intended to be. Sharlto Copley did a great, great job acting as Wikus, and I'm predicting an Oscar nom for him.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #12 on: 20 Aug 2009, 10:29 »

Oh man, so good.  I especially love that lightening gun.  Every time they used it my cousin and I cheered.

:cry:

what is it he is petting, a flower?  looks so innocent and cute.  Please tell me the tears isnt from some sniper taking him/her out. :(
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

variable_star

• Furry furrier
    • BATTLE MASTERS!
« Reply #13 on: 20 Aug 2009, 11:28 »

To write anything about that image would be a serious spoiler. In fact, it's kind of a spoiler in and of itself.

That'd make a sweet avatar, though.

variable_star

• Furry furrier
    • BATTLE MASTERS!
« Reply #14 on: 20 Aug 2009, 12:00 »

there is nothing that can mirror the thing of being in a cinima and feeling the floor vibrate with the deep noise of the engines. or the full sorround sound, with the interveiwers speaking from behind you and the person on the camera speaking from the screen.

I couldn't agree more!

Unfortunately, I live in a city directly between two large metropolitan cities - both of which have excellent theatres. The two theatres in my town are owned by the same Middle Eastern fellow who, with no competition, has let them decay into the most pathetic movie houses in America. Not a single unit utilizes surround sound and the entire sound system sounds like it consists of a couple of 6x9s wedged below the screen.

So, needless to say, it was worth traveling eighty miles to see "District 9" in Memphis, TN.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #15 on: 20 Aug 2009, 15:36 »

So. This movie was pretty awesome!

It's kind of amazing to me, especially in the day and age where the Wolverine movie gets ruined months before it comes out, that a movie like this could almost come out of nowhere like it did. (Did it? Or was I just oblivious to it?) This is the kind of movie that really makes me not as sad that books are slowly fading away as movies are slowly becoming more and more important... When I think that the ___ Movie line is more popular that pretty much anything written by Michael Chabon, for example, it makes me sad, but District 9 helps me feel a little better about things.

Can I get a little metaphor-y? I love the mothership that just hovers in the background for the whole movie. Like, the hate the humans feel towards the prawns the whole movie is just there, ugly and right in front of them, but they're so used to it now that they don't even notice it as being weird or out of place or even (dare I say?) wrong. Having that ship hovering over Johannesburg the whole time (especially the scale of it, and how it was so realistic looking) was a cool thing, indeed. This movie was good.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #16 on: 21 Aug 2009, 01:44 »

The only real criticisms I have against this movie are that the documentary motif is dropped way too quickly and the underlying themes of the film are really unsubtle. The former is way worse than the latter - the shift away from documentary is jarring and then they shift back and it doesn't make a ton of sense to do it that way. Stylistically it also seems like a weird choice, mostly because they knocked the documentary scenes out of the park.

It was still a really good movie for a lot of reasons. Part of its excellence came from the fact that there was genuine suspense! I haven't seen a movie this legitimately tense in a while. The climax is especially riveting.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

variable_star

• Furry furrier
    • BATTLE MASTERS!
« Reply #17 on: 21 Aug 2009, 07:36 »

I suppose they dropped the doc format mid-way because those people had no idea what happened to Wikus, or indeed what really happened in District 9. Their commentary would've been much as it is at the end - mere conjecture.

AanAllein

• Furry furrier
« Reply #18 on: 21 Aug 2009, 21:09 »

I liked this movie, but describe it as "flawless" is pretty amusing. The way it shifted into Hollywood-style action/chase film was fine, as I think the tension was ratcheted up so high in the first third that it was an effective release. And it certainly did a good job of maintaining a level of tension throughout most of the film, which is difficult to achieve without slipping into a film that's just uncomfortable to watch.

But while the major players - Wikus, Christopher - were well-developed, there was rarely a sense that the supporting players were real individuals for most of the film. I can excuse the aliens, as they were supposed to be "worker drones," but Wikus's father-in-law and the colonel were both caricatures of "bad guys," and Wikus's wife never really seemed like anything more than a plot element to me. I can understand that they didn't have time to develop full characters of them, but they could have certainly done a better job. Aside from all that, there seems to be a significant plot hole in that the motivation for most of the humans in the film was to gain access to the apparently ridiculously powerful alien weaponry - and yet we never once see the aliens attempt to use this technology against humans, nor is there any implication that they've done so in the past. Forgivable, certainly, but hardly a flawless film.

All that said, I enjoyed it. Hopefully it's successful enough that modern sci-fi/action filmmakers learn some lessons from what it does right.

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #19 on: 21 Aug 2009, 22:15 »

I just came back from this movie. Out of my group of 5 I was the only one who liked it.

That said, I really enjoyed the movie. I thought the premise was really neat The only problem I had was the last half of the mechwarrior scene. It just seemed contrived.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

variable_star

• Furry furrier
    • BATTLE MASTERS!
« Reply #20 on: 22 Aug 2009, 12:38 »

I liked this movie, but describe it as "flawless" is pretty amusing.

Are the 'flaws' you listed the benchmarks behind which this film could be considered 'flawless'? There was no need to develop the secondary characters because the focus of the piece is specifically centered on Wikius and Christopher. They are the impetus behind every event, so it naturally follows that the secondary characters serve as 'plot elements'.

The goal of film pacing is to remove as much of the extraneous detail as possible, this is particularly important with American audiences who are infamous for having five-second attention spans. I really can't imagine what you were expecting with respect to their development. If they shot a scene of the colonel at home petting a kitten would that make him more complex?
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2009, 12:41 by variable_star »

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #21 on: 22 Aug 2009, 12:51 »

You can't really argue that characters who aren't very well-developed help to make a film "flawless," especially if they're antagonists!

They dropped the documentary midway through cause they wanted to make an action movie, and that's fine, it was just kind of jarring. They could have made a movie about the exact same events in documentary style but it would have been a lot less punchy and explosion-filled and then it wouldn't have been a summer blockbuster.

variable_star

• Furry furrier
    • BATTLE MASTERS!
« Reply #22 on: 22 Aug 2009, 13:00 »

You can't really argue that characters who aren't very well-developed help to make a film "flawless," especially if they're antagonists!

Okay, if you guys want to argue semantics: obviously no film is "flawless". Yet "District 9" has very specific themes to express and it nails each one of them, weaving a complex tale in the process. It was exciting, intelligent, immersive, and above all entertaining. There are, perhaps, four or five other films I can credit with accomplishing this.

I suppose the filmmakers, to satisfy those who are craving a full-on faux documentary, could've had the commentators drop hints here and there, and eventually by the end of the film the audience has pieced together the bigger picture. Yet outside of something like a Christopher Guest comedy, this is something that could never quite work. Audiences have the collective attention spans of gradeschool children, and as Johnny mentioned the goal is to create a blockbuster in the end.
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2009, 13:37 by variable_star »

variable_star

• Furry furrier
    • BATTLE MASTERS!
« Reply #23 on: 22 Aug 2009, 14:06 »

"District 9" reminded me a great deal of "Children of Men" in its themes and filmmaking style, and in my humble opinion can happily take a place next to it on the list of great 21st-century sci-fi flicks.

I had much the same thoughts during the film. The tiresome method of shooting fight/battle scenes with crazy epileptic jump cuts needs to be at an end. "Children of Men" used incredibly long takes to give the audience the feeling that they were standing right beside Clive Owen as all hell broke loose. It was very cool to see the intricate rig they constructed to shoot the scene where their car is attacked in the forest, which is documented in the special features. Brilliant work there. But I digress...while "District 9" doesn't have any notable long takes, the action is just as immersive as in "CoM" because of the adept direction.
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2009, 14:32 by variable_star »

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #24 on: 22 Aug 2009, 19:47 »

Okay, if you guys want to argue semantics: obviously no film is "flawless". Yet "District 9" has very specific themes to express and it nails each one of them, weaving a complex tale in the process. It was exciting, intelligent, immersive, and above all entertaining. There are, perhaps, four or five other films I can credit with accomplishing this.

Whoa. I liked the film a lot and it's one of my favourites from this year for sure but you gotta put this into perspective.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #25 on: 22 Aug 2009, 20:02 »

It's totally in perspective if you haven't seen that terribly many films.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #26 on: 22 Aug 2009, 20:17 »

My only real complaint about the movie was every time the lightning guns were pulled out and someone exploded bits of them would splatter against the screen - one step of logic means that it woudl spat agains the camera, when there clearly is not supposed to be a camera - this might have been less annoying had they not had the doco part of the film ealier.

Also the main soldier dude suffered from a major case of "C'mon be serious, your dead. Just die."
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

AanAllein

• Furry furrier
« Reply #27 on: 22 Aug 2009, 20:49 »

I suppose the filmmakers, to satisfy those who are craving a full-on faux documentary, could've had the commentators drop hints here and there, and eventually by the end of the film the audience has pieced together the bigger picture. Yet outside of something like a Christopher Guest comedy, this is something that could never quite work. Audiences have the collective attention spans of gradeschool children, and as Johnny mentioned the goal is to create a blockbuster in the end.

I don't have a problem with minor characters, even major antagonists not having significant screen time spent on their development. But it's a bit hard to argue that the colonel was anything other than a scenery-chewing stereotype, in my opinion. Now, I have no problem with that evaluating it as a pure action-film (which it obviously was not), but in the context of a film that up until then has done a great job of making the world feel real, it was an extremely annoying element. It would have been very easy to have him feel like a real person without changing the plot any - maybe that was more a problem with the actor than the script, but still (although "I love watching you bugs die?" C'mon. A very small step up from "That makes me feel angry!")

I was okay with the film slipping in and out of the documentary style - so many films abuse that documentary approach to the point of implausibility that it was better just to abandon it. But the exposition was ham-handed at times, and could certainly have been improved significantly while retaining a strong message. Example: "That was 20 years of work!" right near the start. Unnecessary, and clunky.

Do any of these problems make District 9 a terrible film? Of course not. It's a very good, arguably great film, especially given its genre. But it's hardly the flawless masterwork that you are representing it as.

variable_star

• Furry furrier
    • BATTLE MASTERS!
« Reply #28 on: 22 Aug 2009, 20:56 »

Whoa. I liked the film a lot and it's one of my favourites from this year for sure but you gotta put this into perspective.

True enough, I suppose I'm the token fanboy here. This film just stands head and shoulders above the rest of the dreck I've waded through over the past few years, it's easy to become a bit over-excited about it.

variable_star

• Furry furrier
    • BATTLE MASTERS!
« Reply #29 on: 22 Aug 2009, 20:57 »

It's totally in perspective if you haven't seen that terribly many films.

What? Oh right, you're trying out a joke. That's good, a bit on the nose, but a fine attempt.

Come back with something more substantial next time.

variable_star

• Furry furrier
    • BATTLE MASTERS!
« Reply #30 on: 22 Aug 2009, 21:04 »

Do any of these problems make District 9 a terrible film? Of course not. It's a very good, arguably great film, especially given its genre. But it's hardly the flawless masterwork that you are representing it as.

Oh, I completely understand. Half the fun of watching a film, particularly among friends, is playing armchair director afterwards.

I suppose what floored me the most about this particular one was that I'm left bereft of any suggestions for improvement, and that very rarely occurs.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #31 on: 25 Aug 2009, 00:52 »

So I saw this tonight. Thought it was great. I would've liked it better, had it had a consistent narrative voice throughout, but, for what it was, it was very enjoyable. Thank God original movies aren't all dead.

Iguana Baritone

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #32 on: 30 Aug 2009, 06:25 »

I know I shouldn't go around saying this in front of people who loved the movie, but I found it to be at best just above average.
As far as alluding to actual historical events, it was decent, but obviously that wasn't the entirety of the film.
I felt that the only characters I could relate to in any way were the main human and alien, and that the others were boring and unrealistic.
There were a couple of plot holes that I just couldn't shake throughout the movie, and at least one giant plot device.
All up, I wouldn't really classify this as a great film to remember from 2009; I probably won't even watch it again.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #33 on: 30 Aug 2009, 10:50 »

OK I am struggling with dealing with serious criticism of the movie. The docu-style was fun in the beginning but implausible towards the middle and end, but I do appreciate they kept the shaky "being filmed by a crew chasing after Wikus" as well as completely making any scene without him impossible. But by keeping the shaky-cam it made the movie have a sense of history even if fictional.

The apartheid comparisons were good, not a reason I saw the movie, now particularily central to the movie, this is an alternate history after all. But having a friend come back from helping the poor in Rwanda with quite nearly the exact same experiences (of racism and separation) it really made it quite believable. If she ever sees the scene where the little alien and Wikus are holding their arms together and the little alien says "Like me" she will quite literally cry as she has had similar experiences and being a white woman in Africa, she cant help but be treated differently (and often with great hostility).

As far as the characters go, the father and wife were merely story elements played actors/actresses, they were characters, they were extensions of Wikus. The Colonel on the other hand was, but he was mostly just representing an alpha-racist who is particularily driven as he sees Wikus escaping as a an insult to his abilities, and running to D9 for help as an insult to his race. Sure he was a bit over the top, but it made an effective villain that allowed the fantastic action scenes at the end to even exist. And I for one am grateful that they did as they were quite amazing.

As far as the aliens using the alien weapons. Well it was suggested that they had been using them, but not in a grand offensive against the humans (whose hostility scaled up for the initial camp being setup to the slums it became in the "present" of the movie. But it was suggested that the aliens used it in small amounts in gang warfare (bearing in mind the majority of the weapons were seized, the remaining majority is in the hands of the Nigerians).
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #34 on: 30 Aug 2009, 11:59 »

Sure he was a bit over the top

Oh come on, he was a two-dimensional piece of artificial rubbish. The Colonel was a horrible, horrible character.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #35 on: 30 Aug 2009, 12:08 »

Frankly the way I see it there was only ever two characters in the movie, one was an alien, guess what the other was.

There was many human plot devises, but bottom line is the Colonel didn't worsen the experience for me, he was a personification of racism, and the key to some amazing action sequences.

variable_star

• Furry furrier
    • BATTLE MASTERS!
« Reply #36 on: 30 Aug 2009, 21:04 »

Sure he was a bit over the top

Oh come on, he was a two-dimensional piece of artificial rubbish. The Colonel was a horrible, horrible character.

Haha, okay. How about one-dimensional characters? Hans Landa, from "Inglourious Basterds", is perhaps the worst characterization I've seen this year. He's selfish, arrogant, and above all viciously cruel - exactly like every Nazi character we've seen for the past fifty years. Yet he gets a pass because the masses think "Well, he is a Nazi. And Nazis were bad. So it makes sense." This isn't to denigrate the performance of Waltz, which is undoubtedly one of the best this year, but even a brilliant performance and crackling dialogue can't save a poorly conceived character - particularly a primary player in the film.

The Colonel was crafted to be precisely what he needed to be - a career military sort with an absolute hatred of the prawns. He was only needed to provide a static villain to Wikus, as opposed to hordes of random Nigerians and nameless MNU soldiers. It's a funny criticism to say characters like this are "two-dimensional". You can pretty much say that about the secondary characters to any film because they're, by definition, "two-dimensional". It's interesting some seem to get hung up on things like this and ultimately miss the point entirely. In the end, it's not about the Colonel or anyone else - it's the Wikus and Christopher show.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2009, 21:37 by variable_star »

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #37 on: 31 Aug 2009, 00:24 »

I started reading that thinking you were disagreeing with me, Im glad I didnt tl:dr and jump straight to the retort as we seem to be on exactly the same page when it comes to the Colonel.

On the otherhand, I kind of disagree with you entirely about Hans Landa. It was a beautiful portrayal of a bad guy. I mean, he was pure evil but he was seemly very nice and pleasant. But for those who would be his enemies, his pleasantness and uniform make the situation so incredibly tense and if he was a barking dog that was Hitler, it just wouldnt be the same.

Iguana Baritone

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #38 on: 31 Aug 2009, 04:17 »

A lot seems to have been said about this movie in retort to things that people have said that they thought were bad. But I agree with the good parts; like I said, it was a decent film. The obvious plot holes and the silly plot device (it was basically a magical elixir of infinite power) took away from that experience. And I also have to say that one of the problems I had was that the aliens (particularly Christopher) felt far too human. When I go to see a sci-fi movie, I expect for there to be at the very least characteristic differences in the alien species. But in this movie, the emotion was the same, the anatomy was the same.

variable_star

• Furry furrier
    • BATTLE MASTERS!
« Reply #39 on: 31 Aug 2009, 07:34 »

On the otherhand, I kind of disagree with you entirely about Hans Landa. It was a beautiful portrayal of a bad guy. I mean, he was pure evil but he was seemly very nice and pleasant.

haha Yes, I'm probably in the minority on this one. I've seen dozens and dozens of WWII films from the forties and on into the present and I can tell those who haven't that Hans Landa is (in some form) starring in nearly all of them.

On a related note, this is precisely what impressed me so much with the development of Wikus in D9. A lesser film would've have the events transform him into a more compassionate person, maybe even becoming some sort of freedom fighter for the prawns during the climax. Instead, D9 presents us with a very real, very flawed character. So much so that it's quite easy to view Wikus as an unlikeable protagonist, because even his most selfless act in the film is tempered by the fact that it's still in his best interests to do so.

I liked the contrast between Wikus and the alien Christopher, who is ironically the most human character in the film. It made sense to script the characters this way, considering D9 is one of precious few alien films that makes the humans out to be the oppressors/aggressors and the aliens the oppressed innocents.
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2009, 11:17 by variable_star »

ackblom12

« Reply #40 on: 31 Aug 2009, 11:19 »

I can think of quite a few movies where humans are the invaders/oppressors actually. The films don't always purposefully portray it as such, but there are plenty on both sides of the fence.

Brian Majestic

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #41 on: 31 Aug 2009, 12:25 »

And I also have to say that one of the problems I had was that the aliens (particularly Christopher) felt far too human. When I go to see a sci-fi movie, I expect for there to be at the very least characteristic differences in the alien species. But in this movie, the emotion was the same, the anatomy was the same.

But isn't the point of the movie that they are just like us? The only difference was in appearance and language?

variable_star

• Furry furrier
    • BATTLE MASTERS!
« Reply #42 on: 31 Aug 2009, 13:54 »

I can think of quite a few movies where humans are the invaders/oppressors actually. The films don't always purposefully portray it as such, but there are plenty on both sides of the fence.

Awesome, do tell. I might be interested in seeing some of those.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #43 on: 31 Aug 2009, 14:32 »

the colonel has several clear motivations for tracking down wikes and we never get a really clear reading on it, it's not just "racism" unless you're inattentive to dialogue and character relationships

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #44 on: 31 Aug 2009, 14:47 »

Well the professional insult of a loser like Wikus evading him was pretty high up there.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #45 on: 31 Aug 2009, 20:09 »

Awesome, do tell. I might be interested in seeing some of those.

For starters, Starship Troopers.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #46 on: 31 Aug 2009, 20:13 »

IT'S AFRAAAAAAAID

Iguana Baritone

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #47 on: 31 Aug 2009, 23:39 »

But isn't the point of the movie that they are just like us? The only difference was in appearance and language?
[/quote]In a way, and that's kind of what annoyed me. They didn't have to be aliens. The movie could have been about District 6, and still been the same movie. An alien movie should show some difference.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #48 on: 31 Aug 2009, 23:47 »

In a way, and that's kind of what annoyed me. They didn't have to be aliens. The movie could have been about District 6, and still been the same movie. An alien movie should show some difference.
[/quote]

But it couldn't have been the same movie.  If it had been about humans the entire message of the movie would be completely lost.  It would completely lose it's feel.  Imagine if they were humans.  The movie would be incredibly depressing and very, very tough to watch.  The fact that they're aliens allow us to go "wow, we would/do treat humans in exactly the same way."  The fact that they're aliens help us as an audience realize our own xenophobia while still seeing an incredible and fun film at the same time.

I spent the first 10 minutes wondering when the protoganist would show up.  I think that Wikus was absolutely perfect and the guy who did him really deserves some recognition.  The guy was so incredibly believable in everything he did. 

That was my favourite film of the summer, hands down.  Usually I like finding little things about movies that bug me but I came out of the theatre amazed.  My girlfriend and I had such a fun time, even if she cringed during some of the more shocking scenes.  I'm going to keep my eye on Neill Blomkamp, he's a great director. 

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #49 on: 01 Sep 2009, 12:01 »

The fact that Wikus might've just sacrificed all of humanity for selfish personal reasons isn't a bleak ending?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up