THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 01:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I think it is time to talk about grime  (Read 3303 times)

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
I think it is time to talk about grime
« on: 13 Aug 2009, 22:17 »

Grime has properly come back onto my radar of late. For one, I just grabbed Random Impulse's amazing 2008 mixtape Full Metal Alchemist which is far more sophisticated than you'd expect from a grime MC. There's no macho posturing here, instead there's cutting tracks about losing your child because of drug abuse and feelings of death. Also The Singles Jukebox has been discussing some new grime like Tempa T lately (and what is with all these Westwood guest spots? The man's a chump, why does he turn up in so many brilliant things?) and it's reminded me how out of touch I am so I could use some new recommendations for what's coming up now, and that this forum could use a thread for some grime chat since I don't think we've ever had one before.

Or alternatively a whole thread discussing how awesome Skepta and JME are and how anyone who doesn't recognise that is a wasteman, that would be good too. Boy better know blud.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
Re: I think it is time to talk about grime
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2009, 22:57 »

I wouldn't mind a bit of a intro guide to good grime, actually. I've heard a bit out and about and have always been into related music (jungle, dnb, garage, ragga, dubstep, dancehall etc.). Got any other links to good mixes?
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2009, 19:54 »

Bloody hell, I don't even remember making this thread. Rum you are a strange mistress. Thankfully it's not embarrassing.

Run The Road is a good introduction album, it's got a lot of the big names like Roll Deep, Kano, Dizzee Rascal, Tinchy Stryder and Lady Sovereign early on in their careers. It has been criticised for showcasing the side of grime closest to hip-hop and not the elements closer to its roots in UK garage though. I could really use more mixes myself, pretty much everything I have is individual artists' mixtapes although with grime sometimes it's rarer to find a track that isn't collaboration than one that is so that means a ton of people turning up. I've no idea how functional this is outside the UK but BBC 1Xtra do some shows that feature grime you can listen to on the iplayer here (look for anything that says UKG like Cameo's show, there will be a lot that isn't grime like garage and bassline but it will rear it's head). The problem I have with those kinds of mixes is I play them when I'm drinking and hanging out since it's good party music, but then I don't pay any attention to what tracks are actually being played. But like I said I'm really out of the loop with this music at the moment, so if anyone knows good mixes I'd love to hear them myself.
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2009, 20:05 by a pack of wolves »
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2009, 20:49 »

Recently I've been listening to a lot of Milanese, who's a fairly bass-heavy grime / dubstep producer. Have stuff!

Code: [Select]
http://www.mediafire.com/?ezjgqrmwzc3
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

loco_banana

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Shakespeare meets Leatherface
    • Totally awesome
« Reply #4 on: 04 Sep 2009, 08:11 »

Do artists that refer to themselves as grimy count?
"Life's a bitch, and if I meet her, I'ma tell her."

[00:53] dominik: so, here's to you
= he did a shot to me, and I to him. International Friendship +1

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #5 on: 04 Sep 2009, 08:41 »

I have no idea. Like who?

And yeah, Milanese is excellent. That track Dead Man Walking that features Virus Syndicate is fierce.
Pages: [1]   Go Up