THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Inglourious Basterds  (Read 40932 times)

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Inglourious Basterds
« on: 22 Aug 2009, 00:24 »

Anyone seen this yet? What do you think?

It seems to have really divided the critics. Usually I'm a bit lairy about people making entertainment out of particularly horrific moments in history, especially those that are still in living memory, but I checked my moral qualms at the door and went to the cinema last night and had a whale of a time. The acting and directing was superb, and I think Tarantino managed to reign in his dialogue just enough so that it was credible but still distinctly Tarantino-esque - for instance in the opening scene, which is fantastic, and in which the dialogue seems at first like two guys talking about random shit until you realise that every single line has a clear and distinct purpose and reason to exist in terms of building the suspense and moving the scene towards its climax.

And I loved Pitt's character - at first he seems like just another hillbilly hick, but as the film goes on it becomes apparent that he's in fact a very shrewd and smart guy, who just happens to be wildly unhinged (and speaks with a magnificently over-the-top accent).

In summary: the film's very long but I was never bored even once and the two-and-a-half hours positively flew by.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
Re: Inglourious Basterds
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2009, 06:16 »

I cannot wait to see it. It has been one of my most anticipated movies for a while. I am glad to hear that response is positive so far.
Hate, rain on me

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2009, 06:33 »

In regards to it being a time piece it wasn't historically accurate anyway and I really saw nothing wrong with the film, I enjoyed it throughout. I'd go see it a second time, actually.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2009, 09:23 »

Harry! I am kind of surprised. I consider you to be a pretty discerning guy as far as taste in films goes, and I was honestly not expecting much of Inglorious Basterds. I guess I might check this out, then. Brad Pitt's character seems so obnoxious in the trailer! I guess I will try not to assume things on the way in.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2009, 13:05 »

Did you see Burn After Reading? He was hilariously obnoxious in that.

I am seeing this either tonight or tomorrow night and I'm excited. Shane (Valley_Parade) just saw it and said some good things about it, too.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2009, 13:33 »

Harry! I am kind of surprised. I consider you to be a pretty discerning guy as far as taste in films goes, and I was honestly not expecting much of Inglorious Basterds. I guess I might check this out, then. Brad Pitt's character seems so obnoxious in the trailer! I guess I will try not to assume things on the way in.

Brad Pitt's character was probably one of the best parts of the movie.

Zingoleb

« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2009, 13:45 »

I cannot wait to see it. It has been one of my most anticipated movies for a while. I am glad to hear that response is positive so far.

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2009, 14:37 »

I thought it was great. I am definitely feeling at the moment that it is Tarantino's best movie so far. The only really honest critiques I've heard of the movie have come from people who just really didn't understand what the movie was going for, I feel. Or, there are also some that are just critiquing something you have to expect from a Tarantino film. I.E. "There was too much talking."

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2009, 19:13 »

Just came back from this movie. It was great. The suspense was great, the character development was great. The fact that it was not very predictable until the very end was great.

I also have a huge mancrush on brad pitt.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2009, 19:17 »

I really cannot watch anything from Tarantino except for Reservoir Dogs and little bits of Pulp Fiction.  I've seen the stuff that he rips his stuff off of (For Kill Bill it was the manga and movie Lady Snowblood and Sex and Fury mainly) and I find him absolutely shameless in doing it.  I find most of his films to be practices in masturbation while he looks back at how awesome the 80's or 90's or 70's were.  I don't really like his reliance on nostalgia because I find that he uses it to prop up huge portions of the film.

However, I think he's amazing at writing monologues and he has fantastic taste in movies. Oldboy was up for the Palme d'Or at the 57th Cannes Film Festival.  Quentin Tarantino had been raving about it forever but the award went to someone else.  Tarantino then decided that because Oldboy didn't win, he wasn't going to support Cannes anymore.  I don't know if that's entirely true but I totally respect him for that.

In the end, I'm going to avoid this.

He's done vampiresplotation, asiansplotation, blacksploitation, grindhouse, and now nazisplotation....what's next, Nunsploitation?  Brucesploitation?  Sexploitation?  

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2009, 19:43 »

Well that's a shame, because this movie was pretty great. Christoph Waltz was fantastic. He did very well going back and forth between the personable and downright terrifying guy. The whole cast was great, but he really stood out. Also, I agree with Harry - even though this was a rather long film, I wasn't bored once during the film. It was paced very well, the plot was intriguing, and there were enough comic relief scenes in it to keep it from being too gruesome.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #11 on: 22 Aug 2009, 20:08 »

Speaking of gruesomeness, how gory is this? Not sure if I should ask the slightly squeamish gf to come with me.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2009, 21:28 »

Speaking of gruesomeness, how gory is this? Not sure if I should ask the slightly squeamish gf to come with me.

Let me put it this way:  He gets his scalps.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #13 on: 23 Aug 2009, 01:19 »

I think there was a good premise in the whole idea of the Basterds but as far as I'm concerned the movie was a big misfire. By splitting the narrative between Jewess McSeriousFaceAllTheTime and the Basterds, neither plotline really reaches its full potential. The beginning sequence was great, but the movie really shot its wad in that first interrogation sequence where we see the Bear Jew in action. There's a point at which the nazi officer is asked if he's heard of a particular Basterd and he says that he does, at which point the Basterd's name is displayed in stylized lettering onscreen and a short and entertaining origin story plays out. In general the use of this style is surprisingly haphazard, I would have really enjoyed the movie much more had they stuck to that sort of stylishness, but they really didn't (apart from some fourth-wall breaking to identify historical figures in the later parts of the movie, and some scattered expository narration). I really wish they hadn't included the origin story of Hugo Stiglitz, because after that I was pumped to learn the mythology of the Basterds and their particular acts of notoriety. Tarantino's originally script actually included more of these origin stories (warning: link goes to Playboy site) but they were excluded from the film, which makes you wonder why Stiglitz got his and others didn't. It stood out as a weird aside in what turned out to be a pretty unfocused movie. Despite the Basterds being a unit there were only three members of any importance - Eli Roth's Bear Jew, Brad Pitt's Aldo the Apache and Hugo Stiglitz. BJ Novak as "the Little Man" is introduced in the final 15 minutes of the movie as a character despite being an extra for the rest of the film. I felt like the Paris premiere storyline existed solely to allow Tarantino a chance to show off his film knowledge w/r/t prewar European film, since it seems like half of the dialogue has to do with actors and directors from the era. I was not remotely as interested in that storyline as I was in the Basterds storyline. I did not give a fuck about it, frankly. I was pissed that it leeched off the interesting parts of the movie like a parasitic twin.

I have to say that although Tarantino set up some really beautiful shots throughout the film (though there were some scenes toward the end that went for a certain sort of power and failed) I don't think it worked by and large. I want to say that Tarantino really put his touch on the film and added a distinct twist to the WWII film but I don't feel like he committed to anything. Like I said, I would've liked to see a more intense exploitation style element, but as it is it's just not very fun except as a really simple vicarious power fantasy (one that's a bit troubling considering how sympathetic many of the lower-rank nazis seem to be drawn). I think Tarantino could've done a lot better. It's a shame it took him this long to make such an not-fun movie.
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2009, 01:30 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #14 on: 23 Aug 2009, 04:06 »

I really cannot watch anything from Tarantino except for Reservoir Dogs and little bits of Pulp Fiction.

For context, I thought Reservoir Dogs was terrific but I found Pulp Fiction far too spotty and disjointed and in general incredibly over-rated. I haven't seen either of the Kill Bills, nor Deathproof, and I am in no way a Tarantino fanboy, but I still had a great time with Basterds so don't think that it's just for the fans.

As Felrender said, it's pretty gruesome - but for the most part you can see the gruesomeness coming and look away (like I did). Things you can't avoid seeing: the beginning of the first scalping (you'll probably see a bit of brain before you have time to look away), a bunch of blood-spray in a gun-fight, somebody sticking their finger into a bullet wound as a means of torture, and the machine-gunning in the head at close-range of a dead body (again, happens too suddenly for you to look away entirely).

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #15 on: 23 Aug 2009, 07:38 »

This movie is really good. Performances were great, Chris Waltz especially had one of the best performances I've seen in a while, and the fact that he set it up in the trailers as this Nazi Killin' action movie and then had it be almost entirely about German cinema I thought was actually pretty awesome! The final scene i the theater is a masterpiece of filmmaking, the random narration is hilarious, the Angry Jewess is smokin' hot, and if you don't laugh at the King Kong scene you have no sense of humour.

variable_star

• Furry furrier
    • BATTLE MASTERS!
« Reply #16 on: 23 Aug 2009, 13:31 »

I think there was a good premise in the whole idea of the Basterds but as far as I'm concerned the movie was a big misfire.

Agreed. Tarantino has eight more of my dollars, and for the first time ever, I want my money back. Pitt and Waltz were fantastic, as were those extended scenes of nail biting tension - particularly the one in the tavern basement. I can live with one big fantasy wankfest of Nazi killing if I'm left with a decent film in the end. This ain't it.

The audience loved it though, those giggling idiots laughed at every word out of Pitt's mouth. During the final scene, the fat guy next to me (in between gasps for breath) chuckled hysterically, repeating "Oh shit! Oh shit!" Regrettably, he stopped just short of saying "Oh no he didn't!" That, I think, would've made the entire ordeal worthwhile.

Lise

• Furry furrier
    • Face Me
« Reply #17 on: 23 Aug 2009, 22:16 »

I just finished watching Inglourious Basterds, and I have to say, it's a major improvement from Death Proof (which I thought was one of QT's weakest films, by the way, ugh). However, if you walk into the theater expecting an non-stop action/comedy Nazi-killin' fest like the trailer implies, you'll probably be disappointed. I could tell several members of the audience were fidgety during the long dialogue scenes, including myself at certain points. I attribute all that to QT's style, though (same with the random cuts in music, which are pretty jarring).

The ending payoff was amaaazing. The acting was great all around, and I was happy to see Daniel Bruhl on screen again (whee! I have a bit of a crush on him). Christopher Waltz, like everyone's been saying, definitely deserves some recognition for his role. And not to mention any spoilers or anything, but I thought the ending showdown in the projectionist room was spectacular in a Romeo-Juliet type way (emotional, even).

I was expecting buckets of gore like in Kill Bill, but the violence wasn't anything that outrageous. If you can stomach Kill Bill, you can stomach Inglourious Basterds. And go see it if you haven't!! Historical inaccuracy aside, it's worth watching.

PS: Random Mike Myers cameo, wtf? It's a shame the scene with the Brits wasn't more comedic like I was hoping.
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2009, 11:47 by Lise »

pulpfiction21

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pool Zombies
« Reply #18 on: 24 Aug 2009, 06:37 »

As you can tell by my name, i am a pretty big Tarantino fan. I was really looking forward to seeing Inglourious Basterds. I was completely expecting something different from the movie then what I got but that isn't all a bad thing. Going into it thinking I was going to see a lot of Brad Pitt and the Basterds going around killing nazi's but instead getting 5 or 6 twenty minute scenes of tension laden dialogue really threw me off. It was hard to appreciate the movie for what it was because I was constantly waiting for something that wasn't coming. It's an enjoyable movie but I think it will take me seeing it a second time before I can really enjoy it since that time I won't be expecting one thing and getting another.
Maybe I should eat my friend

gospel

• The German Chancellory building
  • the word
« Reply #19 on: 24 Aug 2009, 12:41 »

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #20 on: 24 Aug 2009, 21:13 »

PS: Random Mike Myers cameo, wtf? It's a shame the scene with the Brits wasn't more comedic like I was hoping.

I dunno about you, but I giggled through most of that scene. The scene itself wasn't "funny", but Meyers just has that effect I guess.

Reed

« Reply #21 on: 24 Aug 2009, 21:51 »

I actually thought the scene wasn't hilarious. It wasn't so much that there were great lines, or any physical humor. I just found something really amusing about how absurdly stereotypically British the two of them were. Maybe I'm just seeing something that isn't there, but I think it was much better than if they had gone for something more overt.
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #22 on: 24 Aug 2009, 23:00 »

It took me a while to realise that the English guy in the basement scene was the same as the English guy in the scene with Mike Myers, because between those two scenes he lost his moustache.

(Incidentally, he was played by an actor named Michael Fassbinder, who was absolutely amazing as Bobby Sands in an extraordinary film called Hunger earlier this year. I wish he'd been in more than just two scenes of Inglourious Basterds, even if one of them was a really long scene and one of the best in the film.)

variable_star

• Furry furrier
    • BATTLE MASTERS!
« Reply #23 on: 25 Aug 2009, 10:52 »

However, if you walk into the theater expecting an non-stop action/comedy Nazi-killin' fest like the trailer implies, you'll probably be disappointed. I could tell several members of the audience were fidgety during the long dialogue scenes, including myself at certain points.

I definitely agree the trailer is grossly misleading in that area. Watching that, you get the impression the narrative is more tightly focused on Pitt and his merry band of Nazi exterminators. I was pleased to see the plotting is more complex than that, but ultimately the film just fell apart over the last hour. Still, I found the long dialogue scenes to be the high points of the film. I look forward to revisiting this on blu-ray in six months, perhaps I'll see it in another light.

I thought Duralde (film critic for MSNBC) summed up the film perfectly: If you’re OK with Tarantino’s habit of standing between the audience and the screen and waving his arms about, then you’ll be thrilled by “Basterds.”  That might've been my problem with it, because even though I've liked the three Tarantino films I've seen, I found it difficult not to roll my eyes at the Hugo Stiglitz logo, the brief scene of Goebbels banging his French interpreter, et cetera.

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #24 on: 25 Aug 2009, 16:01 »

I think either the Basterds or the Jewess storyline could have made a film in themselves, two entirely distinct films mind you.
But together it was just a mess.
I enjoyed the theme of language through the film with the switches between German, French and English but other than that and the obligatory foot scene it wasn't a particuarly amazing film.

Ikrik

« Reply #25 on: 26 Aug 2009, 00:06 »

Yeah, looks like I won't be checking this out at all.  I was thinking of renting it when it comes out on DVD....but now I'm slightly unsure.  Maybe. 

AanAllein

• Furry furrier
« Reply #26 on: 26 Aug 2009, 17:25 »

I thought it was really good. It was uneven in tone in a lot of places, but that was kinda the appeal for me. I thought the pacing was excellent - it didn't feel as long as it was. Admittedly, I was sold entirely by the first chapter, which was a brilliant Leone homage and a great scene in its own right. I also really liked the entire scene in the basement bar. The final act might not have been as strong as it could have been, but I kinda liked that things weren't too neat, and there was some real emotion involved - which is where sometimes QT falls down as a writer. I can certainly see why someone would have some serious issues with it though.

Gizmodius

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #27 on: 26 Aug 2009, 21:03 »

What a bloody and bold film! I was excited to see this film and was not disappointed. Brad Pitt did a good job even with the Italian accent. Tarantino's dialogue continues to be one of the best in the game ( although at some points in the film, as in all his films, it slows the movie just a bit). I would lalso like to point this out: his use of cinematography. I am no expert in the field but you recognize the use of it and the aesthetics. This is his first film that I see that he uses landscapes, moving still frames (if that's what they are called) and shots dashing back and forth between characters. One of the best movies of the year.
Ese flaco cabron!

Lise

• Furry furrier
    • Face Me
« Reply #28 on: 26 Aug 2009, 22:45 »

Oh my yes, I loved Brad Pitt's over the top "Eye-talian" accent  :lol:, same with the rest of the Basterds who impersonated Italians. Bonjourno! GRAZIE!
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2009, 22:51 by Lise »

nobo

« Reply #29 on: 27 Aug 2009, 16:26 »

the accents are great. but the hand gestures they pull off when they're introduced are epic.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #30 on: 27 Aug 2009, 20:28 »

Oh stereotypical thumb to middle finger hand shake. Bahaha.

Yeah, looks like I won't be checking this out at all.  I was thinking of renting it when it comes out on DVD....but now I'm slightly unsure.  Maybe. 

Really, I think you should if only for the performance of Waltz. Seriously. He blew me away as Hans Landa. I don't know why they didn't show him more in the previews, considering I think he was in it more than anyone else, and was possibly the best actor in the film.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #31 on: 27 Aug 2009, 20:45 »

He's brilliant in four languages.

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #32 on: 28 Aug 2009, 00:06 »

He's brilliant in four languages.

I sat here and counted. Thanks.

variable_star

• Furry furrier
    • BATTLE MASTERS!
« Reply #33 on: 28 Aug 2009, 08:16 »

You have ten seconds to get me another glass of your delicious milk.

Jaclyn

• Plantmonster
« Reply #34 on: 29 Aug 2009, 21:47 »

Loved it. Loved it so much.

In the box office today (I am currently employed at a movie theater) a middle aged woman was all "2 for Incredulous Basterds." and I'm all "Okay. Two for Inglourious basterds." "Is it a comedy?" "No." "Is it a drama?" "No... Well...Not really...It's a Tarantino movie." "Who?"

I hate my job I hate it I hate it.

rynne

• Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #35 on: 30 Aug 2009, 05:46 »

Really, I think you should if only for the performance of Waltz. Seriously. He blew me away as Hans Landa. I don't know why they didn't show him more in the previews, considering I think he was in it more than anyone else, and was possibly the best actor in the film.

Oh god yes.  Waltz was fucking terrifying.  The way he projects such menace though affability is brilliant.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

Iguana Baritone

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #36 on: 30 Aug 2009, 06:19 »

I haven't actually seen Reservoir Dogs the whole way through, but I thought that this was Tarantino's best film.
There was never a moment when I was bored, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I saw it a week ago.

Jaclyn

• Plantmonster
« Reply #37 on: 30 Aug 2009, 14:49 »

I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I saw it a week ago.

I think you may have your first crush.

Wasteroo

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • RMB RMB RMB RMB
    • my music
« Reply #38 on: 30 Aug 2009, 20:57 »

Even though Brad Pitt looked constipated throughout the entire film, he saved himself with the "Gor-LAM-ee" scene. Also, I have a lot more respect for Eli Roth after this movie, I didn't really like him as a director. Not counting Thanksgiving, of course.
I have a huge hillbilly boner for banjos

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #39 on: 30 Aug 2009, 21:36 »

Really? I mean he's a really bad actor. Not Quentin Tarantino bad, mind you, but bad.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #40 on: 30 Aug 2009, 21:43 »

He played his part well. I mean all he had to do was look pissed and hairy. But still.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #41 on: 30 Aug 2009, 21:48 »

Yeah, there's not a lot of nuance or range required when you're in a Tarantino movie playing a character whose nickname is "the Bear Jew".

Wasteroo

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • RMB RMB RMB RMB
    • my music
« Reply #42 on: 30 Aug 2009, 21:54 »

He played his part well. I mean all he had to do was look pissed and hairy. But still.
Also crazy. To sum up why I liked him in this movie, I wish I had a screenshot of his face when Pitt was talking in his fauxtalian accent.
I have a huge hillbilly boner for banjos

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #43 on: 30 Aug 2009, 23:03 »

Yeah, there's not a lot of nuance or range required when you're in a Tarantino movie playing a character whose nickname is "the Bear Jew".
Honestly I thought Roth was actually a distraction in how bad he was. He didn't deserve to be in the same shot with Waltz.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #44 on: 31 Aug 2009, 07:14 »

ok, is the trailer a fair representation of the movie, because  the trailer left me thinking it would be the most painful thing in the world to watch.
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #45 on: 31 Aug 2009, 08:13 »

The trailer is a terrible representation of the movie. The movie is built around very long scenes full of rich dialogue that slowly winds tighter and tighter until the tension is almost unbearable. The trailer, as is the nature of the beast, is built around short sound-bites of amusing lines taken out of context and edited into something flashy and baubly and attention-grabbing that won't take up too much of your time.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #46 on: 31 Aug 2009, 08:15 »

full of rich dialogue

Wait, did Tarantino write this movie or not?
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #47 on: 31 Aug 2009, 10:06 »

I get that it is vogue to hate on Tarantino (to have always hated on Tarantino, to hate him before it was "cool") but he has had some amazing movies, Ill admit backing his bum-buddies movies Hostel 1/2, or his own Kill Bill and Grindhouse were either total shit, or just not my cup of tea. But Pulp Fiction is one of the top ten highest reviewed movies of all time, and Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown were both powerhouses in their own right, and Basterds has earned a spot right up there with them.

I do however find it incredibly ironic that people of this forum can say the dialog was painful as lets face it, (a re-read of everyone here's comments showed you did actually appreciate the dialog, its just everyone else who didnt) this forum is built upon witty dialog, well that and inside jokes. Though me personally as a talker, thirst for witty dialog in every facet of my life, so perhaps I have the pedigree to enjoy his dialog more than most.

Though as far as the end of summer movies so far, this is 3/4 the movie that District 9 is, even if on subsequent watches Basterds will improve, District 9 was an amazing powerhouse of somewhat of a sleeper hit, well sleeper to me who has been "off the grid" for the last two months but hadn't heard about it prior to about two days before seeing it.
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2009, 10:14 by Chesire Cat »
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #48 on: 31 Aug 2009, 10:19 »

I like witty dialogue, but I had to force myself through Pulp Fiction because everyone I knew said it was such a great movie.  What I see that movie being is 95-99% totally forgettable garbage, and 1-5% of the greatest lines ever written.  It's just not worth it, to me.  I couldn't make it through Reservoir Dogs, because I remembered that I could be doing something else.  Judging by most people here, Basterds is quite similar.  Clearly, many people like him, and I don't care if it's vogue or not, but I don't.  I try to keep my opinions to myself, because he's clearly quite popular among people who's opinions I otherwise quite agree with.  However, if he's brought up, I will speak my mind.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #49 on: 31 Aug 2009, 10:49 »

ok, is the trailer a fair representation of the movie, because  the trailer left me thinking it would be the most painful thing in the world to watch.
The trailer makes the movie out to be a war film, and it's not. The Basterds are barely characters, the movie's really about a French theater owner / survivor of Nazi persecution. It's really not a war film, it's a Tarantino film, which is to say, it's about movies. There are some really tense scenes, but at a certain point they all stop being suspenseful in the "what's going to happen?" way, and they start spinning their wheels and sliding toward an inevitable end.
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2009, 10:52 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up