THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: the other avatar  (Read 71877 times)

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
Re: the other avatar
« Reply #50 on: 19 Dec 2009, 17:00 »

Didn't they do the same for District 9? Make it more actiony I mean.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #51 on: 19 Dec 2009, 18:16 »

so im thinking go stoned y/n?
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #52 on: 19 Dec 2009, 18:48 »

I'm sure the colors would be more pretty if you did.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #53 on: 19 Dec 2009, 19:27 »

this is an idea

i might borrow it
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #54 on: 20 Dec 2009, 16:25 »

I saw it today! (I was sober.) It was a really pretty film and actually I liked the story, though yes it could have been better. But mostly I was too mesmerized by the effects to really notice. Seriously, it is a very pretty film.

Retrospectre

• Curry sauce
« Reply #55 on: 21 Dec 2009, 00:32 »

P.S. Unobtanium is a laughably terrible name.

Not saying it's not stupid but;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium#Science_fiction

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #56 on: 21 Dec 2009, 00:51 »

Ok, yeah, wow, that was a great review of the movie, although I really do like True Lies.  I'll be seeing this film again with my sister in the next week and I'll see what else I come away with.  Also, I think the fact that I have glasses kills the 3-D a bit, or am I just a little nuts? 
uly
I think I agree with two parts of that review very strongly.  The first is that Cameron never utilizes his technology well, I would have preferred the film to just be flat and I honestly don't think I'd miss anything at all.  I don't really appreciate having to pay like...4 more bucks for a movie ticket when the movie doesn't truly take advantage of this "amazing" technology.

The other thing I strongly agree with is that Cameron wastes a lot of time with his scenes.  The movie is insanely predictable and goes on for far longer than necessary.  And even with all that there isn't a strong enough sense of conclusion and it doesn't really explain itself well enough.  It was frustrating because I was so bored during many scenes and yet I wanted explanations for other things.

Also, after reading this article I think that James Cameron is a complete idiot.

http://gawker.com/5403302/james-cameron-reveals-his-quest-to-build-more-perfect-cgi-boobs

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #57 on: 21 Dec 2009, 00:57 »

Whatever man, boobs are the most important part of a character.

Mein Tumblr

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #58 on: 21 Dec 2009, 01:01 »

Really though, this is Playboy we're talking about. What do you think the interview was going to be about?

Mein Tumblr

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #59 on: 22 Dec 2009, 12:24 »

KNOW THAT CGI BOOBS ARE IMPORTANT!

(Does anyone else here even get that joke?)

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #60 on: 22 Dec 2009, 12:48 »

Nope.

This movie was amazing. Visually stunning, completely engaging, incredibly fun, funny in parts, touching in others, and god damn do I want to go to that planet. Possibly go to that planet and take some MDMA.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #61 on: 22 Dec 2009, 22:44 »

(Does anyone else here even get that joke?)

I giggled. But I've got so used to "avatar" being used in an online/virtual context that I've long ago stopped automatically thinking of the Ultima series every time I hear the word. Shame on me.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #62 on: 23 Dec 2009, 06:44 »

Saw thiws with my oldest as an early Christmas present for him. 

In IMAX 3d the visual effects are absolutely stunning.  The story left me "meh" though.  It was A Man Called Horse and Dances With Wolves with aliens and really pretty explosions.  Still, it is an entertaining flick and is definitely worth seeing.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #63 on: 23 Dec 2009, 22:48 »

Went and saw this in 3-D today.

Enjoyed it muchly.  Visually stunning and enjoyed it in 3-D.  Story is a bit cheesy in places, but well worth it.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #64 on: 26 Dec 2009, 15:32 »

Avatar's CGI is amazing! I can't wait for someone to make a movie with it.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #65 on: 26 Dec 2009, 15:50 »

Im in awe at the haters in here. Like James Cameron did something personally to you. The movie was a great fun story with beautiful effects. Saying things like "The first is that Cameron never utilizes his technology well, I would have preferred the film to just be flat and I honestly don't think I'd miss anything at all.  I don't really appreciate having to pay like...4 more bucks for a movie ticket when the movie doesn't truly take advantage of this "amazing" technology. "

Are dumb on many levels. Starting with, you dont have to see the movie in 3D, its optional. And 3D technology, the literal limits of a flat image being projected into 3D is that there can only be two depths, one for each eye. Your brain gets confused and slams it into a single image. James Cameron didnt do that to you nature did by only giving us two eyes. You want true 3D, you will have to wait until they can project a 3rd dimension, an image that actually has volume.

Everyone who gave a reason why they hated it so far appear to be complete wankers. This movie does an exemplary job at everything it sets out to to. If thats not something you dont like. Dont blame the movie or James Cameron, after all, if you dont like dogs, its makes a particularly bad argument when you say things like "I hate that dog for being a dog and not being a cat, because I like cats".
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #66 on: 26 Dec 2009, 15:57 »

You're defending "unobtainium?"

Really?

I like my blockbuster cheese as much as the next guy, but we're talking about the same director who did Aliens and T2: Judgment Day. I expect a higher caliber of story from him.

That being said, I'm still glad I saw it, because the graphics are pretty much the greatest thing (especially what they did with water... holy shit). But... come on, Cameron. You're better than unobtainium. That "script" just absolutely reeked of lazy.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #67 on: 26 Dec 2009, 16:00 »

Also:

Not saying it's not stupid but;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium#Science_fiction

The only film example they have is The Core. That should set off alarm bells...

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #68 on: 26 Dec 2009, 16:21 »

You know what, I especially enjoyed the use of 'unobtainium'. It made it perfectly clear what it was without any for of explanation really needed. Unobtanium is worth 20m a kilo, plot of the antagonist outlined, moving on. And its casual breaking the 4th wall by including the reason it matters in its name. Well unobtainium sounds like unobtainable which implies it is extremely rare or doesnt exist, it exists because they are mining it case closed.

If you want to know what bothered me the most, aside from an overly antagonizing antagonist was the fact that a movie with such an archetypal video game plot could have a crappy video game pairing. Oh and also, I wouldve liked Paul Reiser play Giovanni Ribisi's character since he played that role in Aliens and because I like Giovanni Ribisi and I like hating Paul Reiser. But that is just personal preference.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #69 on: 26 Dec 2009, 18:35 »

I definitely damned the movie with faint praise.  Still, it wasn't dreck, the characters were just flat - their critical characteristics were set practically immediately on introduction, and played their set roles out.  Not a problem.  The movie is able to succeed despite that flaw - visually it is a masterwork, the acting is competant, the story (while predictable) is internally consistent and the final fight scene is good.

Overall, 3 out of 5
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #70 on: 26 Dec 2009, 19:51 »

its makes a particularly bad argument when you say things like "I hate that dog for being a dog and not being a cat, because I like cats".

Actually, no, it doesn't. It's actually a pretty cogent argument to say that you don't like something because it's not like the things that you do enjoy. But really, that's beside the point. I really just wish you would quit calling people who disagree with you wankers roughly every 3 months like clockwork.
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2009, 19:53 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #71 on: 26 Dec 2009, 19:54 »

They dont have to agree with me. But there reasons should either be, "I dont like this kind of movie" if they dont like this kind of movie, or have actual legitimate complaints.

*edit*

And that three month rule has more to do with people having poorly outlined reasons for disliking something at sub-culturally obvious times (lamenting the loss of Family Guy when it goes off the air, but when it returns with too much popularity having an 'I have always hated it for being dumb', stance).
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2009, 20:01 by Chesire Cat »

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #72 on: 26 Dec 2009, 20:09 »

But do you not see how that's a bit of a sweeping generalization on your part? The weaknesses in a given film or series exist independent of the perceived wankery of the audience, and as such there can be a conversation on those weaknesses without having to turn it into a dick waving contest about who is the most sincere in their feelings about a given work.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #73 on: 26 Dec 2009, 20:53 »

Im going to back off from this one, because after a stern re-read of this thread, it seems to be one post whose posts were largely free of opinions and full of facts that are patently wrong.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #74 on: 26 Dec 2009, 21:00 »

I'm probably overreacting as well, particularly on the bringing up old threads stuff. Sorry.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #75 on: 26 Dec 2009, 21:03 »

Lets hug it out

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #76 on: 27 Dec 2009, 20:38 »

Hey, even I  realise not everyone is gonna like a movie.

Hell, yer talking to the guy who walked out on An American Werewolf In London  because he found it BORING!

And thinks Paul Verhoven should be publicly flogged for Starship Troopers
James The Kugai 

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #77 on: 27 Dec 2009, 21:03 »

Hell, yer talking to the guy who walked out on An American Werewolf In London  because he found it BORING!

We will never be friends.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #78 on: 27 Dec 2009, 21:23 »

Man.

The entire movie created a cognitive dissonance in my head of Terrans vs. Night Elves and oh my god I want a Warcraft or Starcraft or both movie so bad now.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #79 on: 27 Dec 2009, 21:57 »

It would be so fun to work on a starcraft movie right now. Then again I'm really high so a lot of things that  sound really good right on paper probably would turn out to be shit.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Ikrik

« Reply #80 on: 27 Dec 2009, 22:00 »

I stand by my opinions 100%.  I had the chance to see it again with my sister but it was completely sold out.  The IMAX version was sold out for two whole days in advance.  That is nuts.  

I'm glad that there are people who have really enjoyed this movie.  I like it when people can enjoy a movie that I don't, it makes for awesome discussion and  I love hearing people's opinions.  I think that the reasons I gave out for not liking the film are still quite solid and being called a wanker because I didn't like a movie.  I'm not calling you out Chesire because peace is all good but it's a movie and in the end not one that matters.  Although there is one point I would love to clarify, the absolute last one.  When something comes out that is supposed to revolutionize the way movies are made and how the movie was made to be in 3-D, why would I not go and see it in 3-D?  I am completely allowed to criticize the movie if it wasn't really that great.  I would be an absolute idiot if I chose to watch the movie twice in 3-D.  

I also have some questions.

1. How will this work on DVD?  Won't they have to un-3-D it?  Won't they completely undermine much of the appeal of the film?

and the other one, and this involves Spoilers so....whatever.

2.  What is stopping the company from coming back, completely obliterating everything from space and then harvesting their wonderful mineral?  The army guys were really just mercenaries, so why not just hire a crapload more of them and firebomb the hell out of the aliens.  It's not like they're people.  Think about how much money all that mineral under the tree is worth.  

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #81 on: 27 Dec 2009, 22:32 »

EVER

Mein Tumblr

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #82 on: 27 Dec 2009, 22:42 »

Be very glad they have yet to invent a means of stabbing someone over the internet.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Nodaisho

« Reply #83 on: 27 Dec 2009, 22:59 »

Look, if he wanted to make an anti-fascist satire movie, that's fine. He shouldn't have been signed on to make it out of the Starship Troopers book. Now nobody knows about the books, just the movie, which pisses me off, because everyone assumes they are exactly the same.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #84 on: 27 Dec 2009, 23:05 »

EVER

Awwww comeon, I'm really a nice guy at heart

*rips out heart*

See?
James The Kugai 

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #85 on: 28 Dec 2009, 02:30 »

2.  What is stopping the company from coming back, completely obliterating everything from space and then harvesting their wonderful mineral?  The army guys were really just mercenaries, so why not just hire a crapload more of them and firebomb the hell out of the aliens.  It's not like they're people.  Think about how much money all that mineral under the tree is worth.  

The same sort of thing that is stopping the US from dropping nukes all over the middle east to harvest oil, the fact that there is intelligent life and that people know that (it can be assumed that people would know there is intelligent life on the planet after the company was run off).
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

knives

• Furry furrier
« Reply #86 on: 28 Dec 2009, 02:48 »

You have no love of satire. Boo-hoo.

Nodaisho

« Reply #87 on: 28 Dec 2009, 04:10 »

You have no love of satire. Boo-hoo.
Way to jump to conclusions. It's one thing to like satire. It's another to like it when some director signs on for a movie based off of a book he never read, reads part of it, decides he doesn't like it, and instead of stepping down for someone that will actually do something with the book, gets together with his buddy from Robocop and shits out some generic satire that has nothing to do with the book. I liked the book.

Do you like Vonnegut? What would your reaction be if they made a film adaptation of Cat's Cradle, and made it into a light-hearted kid's movie?
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #88 on: 28 Dec 2009, 11:22 »

Exactly

It's one thing to make a lighthearted satire or humorous movie off a classic, it's another thing to take said classic and butcher is so much that you wouldn't mind getting your hands on a Powered Armour suit and chase Verhoven down in it.
James The Kugai 

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #89 on: 28 Dec 2009, 11:24 »

Do you like Vonnegut? What would your reaction be if they made a film adaptation of Cat's Cradle, and made it into a light-hearted kid's movie?

Would watch this

Mein Tumblr

Ikrik

« Reply #90 on: 28 Dec 2009, 15:34 »

I read Starship Troopers earlier this year and the movie would have essentially boiled down to the main guy sitting in lectures for most of the movie. It's not a book that would have translated well to a movie in any kind of way. 

I would not watch any movie version of Vonnegut.  Ever.  The thought of it makes my skin crawl a little bit because I think I might stop liking the book if I saw a movie of it. 

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #91 on: 28 Dec 2009, 17:39 »

Fahrenheit 451 actually got made into a Film if memory serves.
James The Kugai 

Reed

« Reply #92 on: 28 Dec 2009, 17:49 »

Wait, you are joking....right? Please tell me you are joking.
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #93 on: 28 Dec 2009, 17:55 »

No he is not

Reed

« Reply #94 on: 28 Dec 2009, 17:56 »

I was actually referring to the fact that Ray Bradbury wrote Fahrenheit 451, not Kurt Vonnegut.
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #95 on: 28 Dec 2009, 18:22 »

Breakfast of Champions got made into a movie. It wasn't very good, but did have Bruce Willis!
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #96 on: 28 Dec 2009, 20:04 »

2.  What is stopping the company from coming back, completely obliterating everything from space and then harvesting their wonderful mineral?

Nothing! Hence the possibility of sequels.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #97 on: 28 Dec 2009, 20:06 »

1. How will this work on DVD?  Won't they have to un-3-D it?  Won't they completely undermine much of the appeal of the film?

I didn't see it in 3D because 1) I wear glasses and 2) 3D gives me headaches and really I enjoyed it "flat". I don't think it'll lose much in transition other than what ever movie has - it shrinks down a whole lot and sometimes the magic of the movie just isn't as present.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #98 on: 28 Dec 2009, 20:18 »

Just saw, quite good. I think this film was remarkable for it's excellent use of 3D technology. There weren't many gratuitous 'oh hey it's THREE-DEE zoomZOOMzoom' moments, and I think it really enhanced the CGI. Definitely to see in 3D.
Plot was heavily predictable, but not all films will be amazing on plot. It was highly enjoyable, and I would recommend catching it in 3D at the theatre.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #99 on: 28 Dec 2009, 20:45 »

I didn't see it in 3D because 1) I wear glasses and 2)

They have larger glasses for people with glasses!
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up