THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: the other avatar  (Read 71897 times)

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Re: the other avatar
« Reply #250 on: 19 Jan 2010, 22:37 »

I don't like popcorn. It's dry and flavourless without butter and soggy and salty with it. I prefer choc-tops (do other countries have choc-tops?). My local (independent, art-housey) cinema has choc-tops in a wonderful array of flavours besides the traditional vanilla - the best of which is chilli-chocolate.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #251 on: 20 Jan 2010, 01:38 »

In Sydney, I've only the the indy's seem to stock them, all the big chains like EVENT cinemas just stick with the major corporate stuff.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #252 on: 20 Jan 2010, 04:36 »

One year, about three years ago, at Christmas time, just for about a week, they had cointreau choc-tops.

We still talk about it.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #253 on: 20 Jan 2010, 23:10 »

Saw the thingum tonight.  Two thoughts:

(1) See it in IMAX if you can.  If your town doesn't have IMAX, hop on a bus.  IMAX makes this stupid, stupid movie worthwhile.

(2) When the fuck are they going to start putting bulletproof glass on the front of military helicopters?  When??

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #254 on: 20 Jan 2010, 23:42 »

I like popcorn quite a bit, just not theater popcorn. Theater popcorn is usually pretty bad.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #255 on: 21 Jan 2010, 01:03 »

Saw the thingum tonight.  Two thoughts:

(1) See it in IMAX if you can.  If your town doesn't have IMAX, hop on a bus.  IMAX makes this stupid, stupid movie worthwhile.

(2) When the fuck are they going to start putting bulletproof glass on the front of military helicopters?  When??
Bulletproof glass (technically bullet-resistant, since if you use a big enough bullet, nothing is bulletproof) is made to stop bullets. Bullets are for the most part light and fast. Shotgun slugs and old buffalo guns (not as crazy powerful as you would think of a buffalo gun as being, due to old technology) will go through most glass we have with current technology that isn't ridiculously thick. Those bows looked like they were firing arrows closer to what we would consider javelins, a few pounds each and likely flying a hell of a lot faster than any human archer can sling normal arrows. Sure, it would be possible to design glass that will stop the heavier slower rounds, but why? Everyone is using light fast rounds now. 100 years into the future, certainly we could make better glass, maybe even make it weigh less (the weight of an aircraft is rather important), but we will likely still be using light and fast. Armor is designed to protect against the weapons that are expected to be used against it, sometimes to the exclusion of protection from weapons that they don't expect to be used, and they don't seem to have designed their weapons to be more effective on Pandoran wildlife, no reason to expect them to modify their vehicles either.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #256 on: 21 Jan 2010, 15:14 »

Yeah, armor is a funny thing. For example, it's a pretty common design for the outer layers of vehicle armor to be actually rather flimsy. That's because they want to save weight and because the purpose of the outer layer isn't necessarily to "stop" an attack, but rather to just cause anything that hits the tank to detonate early so the thick layers can hold up better. That's why you can find stuff like this out there if you look hard enough:

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #257 on: 21 Jan 2010, 19:45 »

Yes, I suppose it is possible that 150 years in the future, mankind has mastered faster than life travel but opts not to use a composite in  the windshield of a helicopter resilient enough to withstand a large piece of wood (maybe there's carbon fiber in the wood!!).  It just seems odd.  Especially when a puncture in the windshield has a fair chance of downing the vehicle what with the lethal gas it lets in and all.

This was hardly the most flagrant oddity in the movie, but it's funny because of the number of movies where a pilot gets perforated through the front of a flying vehicle.  There's something about cockpits that makes directors and screen writers seem to want to blow a whole right through them.  Firefly, anyone?

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #258 on: 21 Jan 2010, 19:47 »

I suppose it is possible that 150 years in the future, mankind has mastered faster than life travel
Life moves pretty fast, if you're not careful you might miss it.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #259 on: 21 Jan 2010, 19:53 »

Anyone who's ever flown from Australia to anywhere knows that humanity's got slower-than-life travel down pat.

Nodaisho

« Reply #260 on: 21 Jan 2010, 20:43 »

Yes, I suppose it is possible that 150 years in the future, mankind has mastered faster than life travel but opts not to use a composite in  the windshield of a helicopter resilient enough to withstand a large piece of wood (maybe there's carbon fiber in the wood!!).  It just seems odd.  Especially when a puncture in the windshield has a fair chance of downing the vehicle what with the lethal gas it lets in and all.
Why would they worry about such an outdated type of weapon as a giant bow? People stopped worrying about bows centuries ago from our time, you design armor to stop a certain kind of weapon. You can design it to stop just about anything, but it is expensive, can rely on something that won't last too long (like a top level of armor that blows itself up to deflect shaped charges), and will likely be heavy as hell if it doesn't rely on something like the cage in Alex's picture or the reactive armor that blows itself up.

Enough glass to replace a small sedan's windows, and this won't even protect against shotgun slugs or 150-year-old big slow lead bullets, will weigh around 200 pounds, at least that is the ballpark I worked up a while back working on a story. I would predict that bullet-resistant glass will get heavier and more capable, but they will never design it to stop big relatively slow pieces of wood, they would design it with new tricks to be even better at stopping standard small arms fire, maybe up into small anti-materiel rounds, although by that point weaponry will probably have advanced as well. Assuming each of those arrows weighed five pounds (big damn arrows, as I remember, the smaller ones just bounced off the cockpit), and fired at 400 FPS, that has the energy of a .50 BMG bullet, but weighs 50 times as much. It's comparing a chisel to a battering ram. With a hard enough wood, I would not be the least bit surprised to see them penetrate the glass. Consider that the glass I keep mentioning is penetrated by soft lead bullets when copper-jacketed bullets barely crack it, I am confident that there are woods that could do it.

The humans didn't seem to adapt all that well to Pandora. They didn't adapt their personal armor to be effective against the small arrows, they didn't adapt their weapons to be effective against the local wildlife (if you can unload what is normally a mounted machinegun into the face of an animal without giving it pause, you need to get some bigger guns), and they didn't adapt their vehicles for combat against creatures limited to bows and arrows.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #261 on: 21 Jan 2010, 21:07 »

You seem really keen on explaining why this fictional future cockpit could be penetrated.  You're making it really difficult for me not to put a Freudian gloss on this discussion.

Nodaisho

« Reply #262 on: 21 Jan 2010, 21:11 »

If my attempt at an explanation for the defensive capabilities of bullet-resistant glass is making things hard for you, that is your disorder, not mine.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #263 on: 25 Jan 2010, 02:12 »

Star Wars 3D is nearly official.

Someone needs to steal the goddamn rights from George Lucas. Or kill him.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #264 on: 25 Jan 2010, 03:14 »

Reading that crushed all my hope for Star Wars.  How many times has he changed Star Wars now?  extended editions and then the changes with the DVD's.  I'm fine with cleaning up the films the same way that Criterion and Kino do it and updating the sound. What he's been doing....is definitely not ok anymore.  Every time he does something like this I try to calculate the chances of ever seeing the original films again, no updates, no nothing.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #265 on: 25 Jan 2010, 03:53 »

Gonna try to find the original originals on VHS somehow.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #266 on: 25 Jan 2010, 04:59 »

Nice choice of photo to accompany the story:

I'm guessing that's his "fuck you" face.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #267 on: 25 Jan 2010, 05:01 »

I bought the original trilogy films on dvd in a boxed set. Each one has a second disc with the theatrical versions of the films. It's great to be able to watch the originals with no other changes other than slightly cleaned up film and sound.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #268 on: 25 Jan 2010, 10:12 »

watched Fern Gully for the first time in a very long time last night. it was awesome.

tim curry singing "toxic love" + christian slater + robbin williams as a bat > avatar

And I really liked Avatar!
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #269 on: 25 Jan 2010, 12:32 »

Hmmmmm

George must need a new SUV
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #270 on: 25 Jan 2010, 12:54 »

I bought the original trilogy films on dvd in a boxed set. Each one has a second disc with the theatrical versions of the films. It's great to be able to watch the originals with no other changes other than slightly cleaned up film and sound.

Every time I see Hayden Christensen at the end of Return of the Jedi I die a little, I'm glad to hear there are unaltered versions of the DVDs.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #271 on: 25 Jan 2010, 14:30 »

must buy

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #272 on: 26 Jan 2010, 05:59 »

I have them - and in no way do I wish to see Hayden "can't act his way out of a wet paper bag" Christensen in some of my favourite movies.  That person turned the biggest badass in movies into a whiny teenager and I cannot forgive that.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #273 on: 26 Jan 2010, 06:31 »

The originals are on sale over at amazon right here. -  $25 for the whole trilogy is a steal.

Theriandros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #274 on: 27 Jan 2010, 09:30 »

Oh Jesus monkeyfucking Christ, please don't let the 3D thing happen.

3D makes me vomit. I wasn't physically able to watch more than 5 minutes of Avatar in 3D before leaving all my popcorn in a theater toilet and going home because the goddamn theater manager acted like an ass and refused any sort of refund, even to the point that I couldn't have a ticket to 2D Avatar.

Damn $13 ticket...

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #275 on: 27 Jan 2010, 09:57 »

what was that? You WANTED MOAR?

Theriandros

« Reply #276 on: 27 Jan 2010, 14:16 »

I think I might blow something up if this becomes a thing.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #277 on: 27 Jan 2010, 14:21 »

Hmmmmm

I wonder if Paramount will make the next Star Trek film 3-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #278 on: 27 Jan 2010, 14:35 »

funny story:

my friend's grandma is crazy. she sends him absurd things for presents when presents are due (christmas, birthdays etc.), sometimes even when they're not. A couple of days ago, he got an unusually thick envelope from her containing...wait for it....a pair of 3D glasses from some movie with a card saying basically"I thought you would like these. Here ya go."

In 2006 she gave him a used doggy chew toy for Christmas. Ironically enough, we actually had a blast with it, probably more so than her dog.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #279 on: 27 Jan 2010, 16:27 »

I just want to point out... You know how old people are resistant to change and hate new things.

Fuck old people!
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Theriandros

« Reply #280 on: 28 Jan 2010, 06:49 »

*is 19 and particularly resistant to this change*

Also, who besides other old people might actually want to fuck old people?

Reed

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #281 on: 28 Jan 2010, 08:57 »

Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #282 on: 28 Jan 2010, 13:48 »

not sure i want to click that link

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #283 on: 28 Jan 2010, 14:14 »

Some links are better left unclicked.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #284 on: 29 Jan 2010, 07:44 »

I'm not even mousing over that one to get a sense of where it goes.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #285 on: 29 Jan 2010, 08:26 »

God, you prudes, it's Skwisgar Skwiself.  Singing about GMILFs. 
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up