Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 16 Jan 2022, 20:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chicagocon the Movie  (Read 4204 times)

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury
Chicagocon the Movie
« on: 23 Aug 2009, 03:46 »

Recently a whole bunch of us took a trip to Chicago and I decided that following the warmly received but relatively brief Tronnocon video (watch that now if you haven't) from the previous year, I would try to film as much of the weekend as I could. With that in mind, I bought a small handheld HD camera and tried to film as much as possible. Inevitably this modus operandi means you miss practically everything you wish you could have filmed because short of filming literally everything all day, there is no way to record all the spontaneously amusing things that happen. However, by the end of the trip I had about six hours of footage and deemed roughly two hours to be of (vague) interest, at least to people who frequent Meebo and the forums.

Please follow this link and watch it in the order suggested by the numerals. It's a lot, lot better and more coherent if you actually watch the clips in the order they were filmed. Since this is HD, I recommend letting the videos load before attempting to watch them. Thanks for your time and patience with this whole thing.

Here are some questions and answers which I'd imagine could potentially come up upon watching this -

This sucks and by association you suck. Why did you even make this? It's not funny or interesting. I hate you.

Sorry.

This is very badly edited. What is wrong with you? Are you some kind of cunt?

Sorry!

Why is this on Facebook? Why not Youtube?

Youtube has some archaic restrictions on video uploads. They must be under 200mb and less than ten minutes in length. It was sadly impossible to upload the movie given those restrictions. Conversely, Facebook video allowed 1gb uploads and under 20 minutes, which was far more conductive of HD video. Hopefully in the future things will change and I can find somewhere to host the whole thing in full HD.

What kind of camera did you use?

I used a Kodak Zi6. It is a small, ultra cheap HD video recorder. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a portable HD video camera but I strongly recommend holding out for its replacement the Zi8. The latter has image stabilisation and full 1080p recording, which is lacking in the Zi6. From what I've seen, the Zi8 surpasses the Zi6 in every way and still costs under $200. Highly recommended.

The video quality isn't very good.

It's a cheap camera. I didn't have the funds for anything better at the time. However, I will say that the footage which came off the camera looked great. Then it lost some quality when it was converted to WMV from MOV. Then some more when I edited it together with Windows Movie Maker. Then some more when I split it into six chunks. Then even more when Facebook uploaded it. Naturally, it's looking a little rough around the edges now. I am working on a DVD version which should look pretty great but to get this stuff online I had to make a lot of compromises.

The sound quality isn't very good.

Facebook seems to have fudged some of the levels. Maybe it'll get fixes at a later date. Please use the volume control at your leisure.

What software did you use to make this mess?

I used Xilisoft Media Converter for the file conversion and then Windows Movie Maker to edit it together. The latter was used because it was pre-installed on my laptop, which sadly doesn't have the power to run any serious editing suite. Adobe Premier sort of loaded but wouldn't compress the files worth a damn. WMM is easy to use and has a range of semi-amusing screen wipes and fades which you can probably tell I included wherever possible just to complete the whole My First Movie experience.

Is this NSFW?

It has some swearing but that's it. Your call.

I think I recognise something in the soundtrack/editing but I can't remember where from.

Ever seen Instrument, the film about Fugazi by Jem Cohen? There's a whole bunch of homages to that because I think I'm funny.

How did you pick the songs used?

I tried to think of something pithy or appropriate for what was occurring on the screen. I left in some background music in some scenes for obvious reasons.

Who is calling the bingo near the start of the film?

That is Steve Albini and Heather Whinna. This was before the Nina Nastasia show at the Hideout. There was a lot more footage from that show but I was asked not to use it.

What is the deal exactly with the cupcakes subplot?

Johnny C has a band called These Estates and they recently made a record called I Can't Wait! Before coming to Chicago he had the idea of taking the record down to the Pitchfork offices along with some cupcakes to literally sweeten the deal. MaiAda made the cupcakes for him. The last part of the movie follows that.

Who took the photos at the very end?

I took the photos apart from the one I am in. They will be online hopefully in the near future.

--

Hopefully this has covered the obvious questions.

Thanks a lot.
Quote from: Ozymandias
One minute we're playing Mario Kart, the next my penis is in your mouth - it just happens.

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury
Re: Chicagocon the Movie
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2009, 04:13 »

Apparently people who aren't Facebook friends with me are having difficulty. Please follow these links -

Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV
Part V
Part VI

Thanks!
One minute we're playing Mario Kart, the next my penis is in your mouth - it just happens.

Liz

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2009, 07:03 »

Oh goodness I am so excited about this. Will watch some now, the rest when I'm back from work in a few hours. Yayyyyy.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2009, 07:07 »

I like that the times I am mentioned are in association with the Libertarian Furry Twincest comic and goths.

I feel like that is an achievement.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2009, 08:26 »

Apparently you need to be logged into facebook.  Not a problem for most people, but I don't have facebook.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2009, 08:31 »

Oh man, I have only watched the first two parts and I love that I am somehow synonymous with American Apparel, this actually sort of makes me really happy, you know, except for the bad company ethics and stuff.

I am going to watch more when I get back from work! This video is making me really want to try really hard to go to the next meet-up. You're all jerks! (love)
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2009, 08:57 »

Alex, if you want to watch yourself do the Macarena, it's there in video 4.
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2009, 09:04 by Linds »
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2009, 10:09 »

Tommy, what's the song at the beginning? I feel like I should know it, but I don't.

At some point in time is it possible to get a soundtrack listing for Chicagocon the Movie? So I can pirate it from the internet?

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury
« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2009, 10:29 »

The first song you hear is 'Twain' by the rock band .22, from the album The Worker.

I am uploading a file which contains all the audio featured to make it easier.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2009, 10:34 »

I don't have time to watch all this shit, somebody just give me the highlights.

CardinalFang

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #10 on: 23 Aug 2009, 11:03 »

A++
Would watch again.
(From Gabbly) Jodizzle: no sad deaths apart from the eaten kitten

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #11 on: 23 Aug 2009, 13:03 »

Man I need to speak up.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #12 on: 23 Aug 2009, 13:25 »

Khar was mentioned in Fargo too when Liz found "All Known Metal Bands". I think maybe he is just the personification of metal to the QC forums.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury
« Reply #13 on: 23 Aug 2009, 14:17 »

Not realistically, it's about 6gb in size overall. It works fine on my rubbish connection so I assumed it would work for everyone. Might want to try another computer.

Here is a file containing every song I used on the soundtrack. Incidental music is not included for obvious reasons.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #14 on: 23 Aug 2009, 15:16 »

It's ridiculous how little this video represents my Chicago experience, but it's so hilarious it doesn't even matter.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #15 on: 23 Aug 2009, 15:26 »

Nice to know that if I ever electrocute an elephant you guys will kick the fucking shit out of me.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Ozymandias

« Reply #16 on: 23 Aug 2009, 15:39 »

Yeah, dude, I mean I haven't gotten to that part of the video yet but I remember people were sort of being a little apologetic and clarifying that I mean the old bastard inventor and not you but you know I think if someone went on a forum with the name Adolf Hitler they would deserve to take some flak for that so I mean, not fuck you too much, but fuck you a little, man. Fuck you a little.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #17 on: 23 Aug 2009, 15:42 »

Oh don't worry, I understand.

And I think it's only fair that as you're named Ozymandias that I also get to say; fuck you a little too, man.

I may have electrocuted elephants, but at least I didn't turn Bubastis into nothingness, you douche.

I love you really though man.

Call me.
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2009, 15:45 by Thomas Edison »
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #18 on: 23 Aug 2009, 16:00 »

Nice to know that if I ever electrocute an elephant you guys will kick the fucking shit out of me.

man I wanted to post the frame of johnny looking right at the camera here, but I can't find that part of the video anymore.

ADDITION: seriously can someone point out which section of the movie that is, I can't find it and now I really want to see that picture again.
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2009, 16:28 by jhocking »

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #19 on: 23 Aug 2009, 18:10 »

thank you!

damn that entire conversation is hilarious

johnny c does promos for pro wrestling

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #20 on: 23 Aug 2009, 22:58 »

Tommy this video is the best thing.  It makes me miss everyone.  I think the part in the ice cream place was my favourite, it had Mai and I saying CANINE EROTIC DANCING and talking about goths.  Awesome.

Although, the waffles were also a highlight.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #21 on: 23 Aug 2009, 23:19 »

Tommy the last ten seconds is so sad.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury
« Reply #22 on: 24 Aug 2009, 03:16 »

That was the idea. I actually filmed that on the last day right after everyone had left for the airport or gone off their own way. I got onto the El and I was literally the only person in the whole carriage. It was pretty sad.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #23 on: 24 Aug 2009, 09:03 »

Man shit I should have just ditched work all weekend. I am sad to have missed some of these things, including, but not limited to, Apples to Apples. But I am glad the Macarena scene happened. It is a gift to posterity.

Liz

« Reply #24 on: 24 Aug 2009, 10:05 »

Alex you only missed out on Apples to Apples because you were passed out in the basement.
Liz is touching me.

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #25 on: 24 Aug 2009, 10:22 »

Maybe it's time for me to get a facebook account.

ackblom12

« Reply #26 on: 24 Aug 2009, 13:24 »

No no, Alex was lost in the closet at the time I think... or was that before Apples to Apples... I can't remember when I found him.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #27 on: 24 Aug 2009, 13:26 »

Maybe it's time for me to get a facebook account.

DON'T GIVE IN TO THE MACHINE!
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #28 on: 24 Aug 2009, 13:44 »

No no, Alex was lost in the closet at the time I think... or was that before Apples to Apples... I can't remember when I found him.

Alex was lost in the closet and subsequently passed out some time before we started playing.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Liz

« Reply #29 on: 24 Aug 2009, 14:02 »

He was sleeping while we were playing because people kept taking breaks to go check on him.

I know this.
Liz is touching me.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #30 on: 24 Aug 2009, 18:46 »

It's nice to know at least one person turned into an R. Kelly song (I have the feeling someone in the video already made this joke but it's still funny)
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Liz

« Reply #31 on: 24 Aug 2009, 19:18 »

Johnny actually did a hilariously entertaining rendition of "Trapped in the Closet" upstairs in the house when he went to get clothes. It was so great.
Liz is touching me.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #32 on: 24 Aug 2009, 20:21 »

Alex you only missed out on Apples to Apples because you were passed out in the basement.

That was the joke, but I guess it was just oblique enough to be mistaken for genuine confusion.

Thanks for taking care of me and all that, though.

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury
« Reply #33 on: 25 Aug 2009, 12:04 »

I think my absolute favourite part of the whole thing is Alex looking at me through the camera and saying "I've been drunker".

Also the part where without any sense of irony the Bobtails conversation about weird animals having sex eventually veers briefly into a conversation about a website which is about animals who are friends but not the same species. I only noticed that later on in the edit.

Ultimately the whole Thomas Edison conversation because I'd been planning that for months and it worked out even better than I had hoped.

Lise

• Furry furrier
    • Face Me
« Reply #34 on: 25 Aug 2009, 12:32 »

I would like to know if the "He Loves the Cock" shirt appears in any of these videos, and if so, which part.

Great video editing by the way, Tommy!!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #35 on: 25 Aug 2009, 15:19 »

He Loves the Cock features heavily at prom, which takes place in video IV.

It's even more effective in photos (I think Jens' but possibly Jodie's?)
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

ackblom12

« Reply #36 on: 25 Aug 2009, 15:27 »

I was impressed with the pictures that were unintentionally made hilarious by that shirt.

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #37 on: 25 Aug 2009, 17:06 »

Not realistically, it's about 6gb in size overall. It works fine on my rubbish connection so I assumed it would work for everyone. Might want to try another computer.
Screw you, rubbish is 1mb/s. I SURVIVE.
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #38 on: 25 Aug 2009, 17:26 »

This kind of makes me wish I was able to afford to come to one of these things.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #39 on: 25 Aug 2009, 17:46 »

Buy cheaper weed!
Or you know, find some way to save up. Seriously, I would think it pretty rad to hang out and smoke weed with you.

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury
« Reply #40 on: 07 Sep 2009, 13:39 »

Hey, everyone who went to Chicagocon!

Go and rewatch The Dark Knight. Gotham might look oddly familiar to you this time around!

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #41 on: 07 Sep 2009, 16:23 »

I've actually become acutely aware lately of just how many well known movies and TV shows (not all of them great mind you, but well known) were set here.  It started when I realized "Ferris Beuller's Day Off" was set in Chicago; after I found that out, I started looking for others.  Probably the most widely known movie set in Chicago/Chicagoland?  Home Alone.  fuck
Pages: [1]   Go Up