THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would QC be better if it were just a drama with no punchlines most of the time?

Yes
- 11 (18.6%)
No
- 48 (81.4%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would QC be better if it were just a drama with no punchlines most of the time?  (Read 5947 times)

AbyssWyrm

Most of my friends seem to think it would be better with just drama and no punchlines.  Today's comic made me curious enough to do a poll.

maddness

• FIGHT YOU
  • What a curious and altogether strange place.
    • tweet, twit.

I like QC the way it is. Sometimes you're in the mood for drama and sometimes you're in the mood for funny. True, sometimes the comic doesn't coincide with your mood, but you can always hit the archives for one that does. I wouldn't like it as much if it was always serious. I don't watch reality tv or soap operas and I don't really see myself reading a comic that's basically all about the drama. If it were just meant to be funny all the time, I'd probably still read it, but it certainly wouldn't be my favorite webcomic, which it currently is. My second favorite is also a mix of the funny and the serious. I've found that the comics that are mostly about the comedy are better as one offs or short arcs than as long running stories. You can't have real character development without some sort of conflict.
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2009, 14:19 by maddness »
I SAY I only fuck donkeys but sometimes I fuck mules too
Fight Me, Bitches!

Mark7

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • My sandbox is crunchy
    • My Music

QC without the punchlines (and the punchings) just wouldn't be QC.
Will be at your local record store this Friday handing out the hot dickings

Binary

• Curry sauce

No.

That is all.
"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

QC is a slice of life.  OK, not my life, and there's the AnthroPC thing, but other than that...

And life is drama, with the occasional punchline.  Even in "the Talk", there were puhchlines, and that's about as dramatic as it gets.  Humor is how we deal with strong emotions that may break us otherwise. 

Remember, every national disaster is quickly followed by some "tasteless" jokes (beccause it's "too soon").  They serve as an outlet.  The line between laughter and tears is a thin one, even biologically. 

Besides, I think Faye's looks at Sven in the last two frames are the punchline.  Or at least, they're a really good setup for one tomorrow...

You laugh until you cry
You cry until you laugh
 - Regina Spektor
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

lackadaisical

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

i tune in for the butt jokes

Prince of Space

• Larger than most fish
  • "Chickens are a cruel people"

I think a balance of both is never a bad thing.

I'm up for anything as long as Jeff is having fun.  That and if it changes and I don't like it, I can always wait it out/not read it.

Shteevie

• Plantmonster

I voted yes, but it's a conditional one.

The comics that act as elaborate setups for jokes, but do not advance a plot, add depth to a character's personality, or illustrate the circumstances feel like filler a lot of the time. For a while I was reading the comic once a month because the plot moved too slowly for my tastes and daily / weekly visits would leave me feeling that nothing was really /happening/ in the comic.

So: keep the funny, but do not sacrifice anything for the sake of funny. Either it fits, or it doesn't.

Delirium

• FIGHT YOU
  • WE CLEANSE OUR DESTINY

Holy shit, who would want this comic to go entirely in either direction???

Zipperstuck

• Plantmonster

Currently, it's 90% punchlines and 10% drama.

60-40 would be nicer.

Jaclyn

• Plantmonster

My good sir, that's a horrendous idea.

cgarci21

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Shagtastic

Life is a mix of funny and dramatic. For every person the dynamiic is different but I think QC does a good job of balancing the two just the way it is. *

* However life has less cliff-hangers, such is the nature of the story.  :roll:
You know how animals can sense a tsunami coming before humans notice? I'm like that, only for sexy things. -Dora Bianchi

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto

It seems pretty balanced right now, actually.  Jeph blends the relationship/drama aspect with clever humour almost every other strip, leaning a bit towards the comedy, but that's sort of comforting and a little realistic.  Shit happens in everybody's life, and if you aren't good-natured enough to let some steam off with a joke or two, you're going to end up pretty stressed.  

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.
Pages: [1]   Go Up