THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: jmrzcon  (Read 2277 times)

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
jmrzcon
« on: 04 Sep 2009, 18:40 »

Right. I had another thread for my general travel advice, but I figured I'd start another one purely for getting this shit together.

So, I'm coming to Europe and I'll be hanging in London and Edinburgh and the rest of the time I'll be traipsing about on a coach. Basically, I want to meet the internet.

I will be in London on the 7th and 8th of January as well as the 24th, 25th, 26th and 27th January. I will be in Edinburgh/Glasgow on the 28th/29th/30th/31st.

The 27th/28th are the cross over day between London and Edinburgh.

I'll be hanging with Sousaphone and pickle (who some of you may or may not know) in Edinburgh on the above dates, along with some people from the xkcd boards. I would absolutely love to hang with any of you guys who can get to Edinburgh or London.

My friend Maddy will be with me on this trip and she is happy to meet Internet People providing she gets to go to the fancy museums in London. So whether or not we make that like, something we can all do? I'm kind of lost here, I've never been to Europe and I'll have no idea what we can do in the middle of winter. Help me out here, I want to hang with you Europe kids.
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Re: jmrzcon
« Reply #1 on: 06 Sep 2009, 07:09 »

Hmmm, it will kind of depend on the schedule of my ladyfriend (we still intend to hop over the pond for a few weeks sometime when scheduling allows it). Ill try to see what the options are :)
Quote from: Dr. Sidney Freeman
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2 on: 06 Sep 2009, 11:51 »

I can tentatively say I could be in London at the end of January, if one of those days is a weekend day, but I can't commit for sure. Would be rad to meet you if I could though.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #3 on: 06 Sep 2009, 17:04 »

The time in London are Sunday - Wednesday and the time in Edinburgh/Glasgow is Thursday - Sunday.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #4 on: 06 Sep 2009, 23:24 »

Depending on what my class schedule is, I could potentially make it to this. Not sure about getting over to Edinburgh, though, I might be stuck in Glasgow for the time being.

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #5 on: 07 Sep 2009, 07:58 »

From what I understand, Glasgow is day-trip-able yes? Buses and trains and the like? Because I would probably like to see Glasgow as well, and I am sure my friend would too. As long as we are back in Edinburgh in time to get our flight back to London we shall be sweet. We haven't figured out where we will be staying in Edinburgh yet either, I might have to check that with the travel agent when I go in to see her next.

Does anyone have any recommendations for accommodation in Edinburgh? We don't need anything super fancy, but somewhere nice where we aren't going to get killed on our way to our hotel room would be nice.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #6 on: 09 Sep 2009, 17:14 »

Glasgow is a 45 minute train ride, and if you're in Edinburgh for a couple of days, one of those should probably be spent in Glasgow.

I will be in Edinburgh that time yay!

I don't know what the deal is with my other flatmates, but when I talk to them we could probably have people on the floor or mattresses or something. We have a fairly large living room with some couches if that's cool with you guys. We're also about ten minutes away from the Royal Mine and about six to seven from the important parts of edinburgh (university campus / cowgate / bruntsfield / we're in marchmont)

If you'd rather have a bed, there's a bunch of hostels around Edinburgh, it's a fairly popular hitchiker/student destination, and they're okayishly priced.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #7 on: 09 Sep 2009, 23:30 »

The Royal Mine...  been digging deep into the attractions of Edinburgh, have we?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pickle

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://www.c-nic.org
« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2009, 07:02 »

The Royal Mine...  been digging deep into the attractions of Edinburgh, have we?

They were digging up the road to install the new tram lines and the shovel slipped.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2009, 08:32 »

Actually, you should also take a tour of the Edinburg maze underneath the south bridge / royal mile. Crazy.

Also, didn't they stop the works on the trams 'because of the recession'?
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up