THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Jul 2024, 06:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Police Swarm Bungie Studio  (Read 17631 times)

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
Police Swarm Bungie Studio
« on: 08 Sep 2009, 17:03 »

Well, if 5 officers count as a "swarm".

Somebody saw an employee carrying a replica sniper rifle from Halo and called the police. Didn't take long to figure it all out.

http://kotaku.com/5351721/police-swarm-to-bungie-on-weapons-call-during-kotaku-visit

The picture at the bottom shows how close it looks to the "AK-47" the caller ID'd it as.  :roll:
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
Re: Police Swarm Bungie Studio
« Reply #1 on: 08 Sep 2009, 17:05 »

Silly news of the day
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #2 on: 09 Sep 2009, 02:27 »

Oh, the replica used from Blomkamp's shorts. The shorts were awesome. If only the game had the same atmosphere. If only.

Also, the caller was probably a granny on a walker going to buy flowers for her garden or whatever the fuck old people do these days (no offense, old people). Well, maybe not. Not surprised, though.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #3 on: 09 Sep 2009, 04:59 »

The funny thing is that it looks very close to this gun rather than an AK-47...
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #4 on: 09 Sep 2009, 14:46 »

Well, I guess it's an honest mistake for non-gamers, right? It's not like some nutcase is gonna pre-emptively shoot someone carrying a replica. Now, that would be news.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #5 on: 09 Sep 2009, 14:58 »

Great story about that from Simon Pegg (from his appearance on Top Gear):
"When we were doing spaced [Nick Frost] had to dismantle a gun for the show, so he took a replica MP5 home - which is a machine gun...  He stripped to the waist, it was summer time and he put a blindfold on and was kind of doing this (mimes disassembling a gun), took the blindfold off to check the watch and there were eight armed police officers in the living room with their guns drawn like, you know.  And they made the decision that Nick went like that (reaches forward) as opposed to that that (puts his hands up), which is what he did he did, they were going to shoot him."
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2009, 03:10 »

Heard about this one. Going to the farmer's market around 4:20PM. Hmm.

For someone like me, who is interested in guns, this is just painful. If you are into cars, I would want to say it is something like someone mistaking a corvette for a mustang, except it isn't. It is someone mistaking an E-350 for a mustang, or for musicians, a double bass for a ukelele. I understand, most people can't tell an M4 from a hole in the ground, but it is still just ridiculous. This comes to mind:

Doesn't help that media coverage tends to do the same thing. No, I'm not doing the redneck "LIEberal MSM!" BS, I'm doing the "lazy fucks won't do thirty second's worth of fact checking" thing.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2009, 03:52 »

Oh come off it. There are a billion different circumstances where one big gun could be mistaken for another. I mean, sure, you can be an elitist to people who aren't into the same stuff you are, or you could just say "shit happens I guess" and move on.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2009, 07:17 »

I wouldn't expect someone who sees a man with a gun walking down the street to verify what type of gun it was exactly before calling the police. Then again, you shouldn't try to act knowledgeable by sticking the same name on every gun you see, either.

"Hello, I need to report someone I saw with a gun earlier. I think it was a WKW Wilk Tor anti-materiel rifle, but I'm not sure about the caliber. I last saw him at the roof of an apartment building ten minutes ago, but I needed to know for sure if he was dangerous before calling."
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2009, 07:25 »

Exactly.  "I saw someone with a gun," is just fine.  If the police ask you to describe it, don't just say "Oh, it was an AK-47," unless you know what one of those is.  How about you, I don't know, use your words?  "It was really long, it had a stand and a scope."  That tells the police a lot more, and is more accurate.  Hell, I've shot an AK-47 and I still wouldn't be completely sure.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Nodaisho

« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2009, 09:24 »

Oh come off it. There are a billion different circumstances where one big gun could be mistaken for another. I mean, sure, you can be an elitist to people who aren't into the same stuff you are, or you could just say "shit happens I guess" and move on.
And the only one that could be a remotely valid excuse would be the one implied by going to the farmer's market for munchies delicious organic fruits and vegetables at 4:20, all of the other ones are acting like you know something that you don't, which is really hazardous with guns. If I were the police, I would only want people to tell me what they were sure of with regards to the situation, so the SWAT team doesn't go in expecting a guy to have an uzi, and it turns out that he somehow got his hands on a PKM (I actually have talked to a guy that has a legal example, not sure if it is a dealer sample or not. Big guy, you'd have to be to use that thing standing.)

And I hope you aren't talking about my comment about the media not helping, because it is their job to get details right about things. This isn't about them putting up a stock photo of an AR-15 with a duckbill flash hider rather than a birdcage one, this is something that should be obvious with the least bit of fact-checking.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #11 on: 10 Sep 2009, 11:21 »

Right, I get the media thing. I just think you're being banal about something that by all means you take seriously and know a lot about, but that other people might not.

Meh.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2009, 05:58 »

This comes to mind:
[image]

Doesn't help that media coverage tends to do the same thing. No, I'm not doing the redneck "LIEberal MSM!" BS, I'm doing the "lazy fucks won't do thirty second's worth of fact checking" thing.

Sad thing about me is that I could probably identify every single one of those properly except for the one on the bottom left =P

To give Bungie developers credit, the UNSC guns in the game do look like something you could custom-make in the 20th century. Also, I think the issue with the "AK-47" thing is a tiny bit facetious, but at the same time it's really a case of "if you don't know don't try to be clever".

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #13 on: 12 Sep 2009, 01:30 »

"Are you sure it was an AK-47?"
"...yes! Definitely."

I refuse to believe that police aren't trained to ask important questions twice, so here we go again.

"Are you sure it was an AK-47?"
"...fine, maybe, I dunno..."

Theriandros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #14 on: 10 Oct 2009, 10:53 »

This is one of those times where the caller really should just say "a really big fucking gun".

Though it does resemble an HK PSG1...

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #15 on: 11 Oct 2009, 13:46 »

The point is that it looks like a real firearm, especially to a layman, especially at a distance.

They sell these twenty quid guncases that are basically designed to stop things like this from happening.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #16 on: 11 Oct 2009, 14:37 »

Um...  I nerd over real guns.  Guns that I've shot.  I've been to the shooting range with more girls that I've played video games with, too.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #17 on: 11 Oct 2009, 14:43 »

It's actually a pretty good point is the thing.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Nodaisho

« Reply #18 on: 12 Oct 2009, 00:51 »

The point is that it looks like a real firearm, especially to a layman, especially at a distance.

They sell these twenty quid guncases that are basically designed to stop things like this from happening.
That's funny. I've been at a gun store very recently (because unlike in Norway or the UK, people don't panic at the sight of a gun store or advertisement for a gun show. Seriously, be more like Switzerland), and I didn't see much that would fit a 6 and a half foot long anti-materiel rifle.

@bassist: Hey there gun-owning (I assume) buddy. Not all that common on here, from what I can tell. Only Trollstormur ever mentions it.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #19 on: 12 Oct 2009, 08:03 »

*shhhh*  I never said I owned one.  That would probably be looked down on here.

Also, I was thinking about this as I woke up today.  If I saw somebody with that thing walking into a building, if I felt compelled to all the police, I wouldn't try to identify the gun, and I actually have some experience with weapons.  And a gun case would have been ideal, but that bipod looks like it's stuck in that position, and would defy all attempts to put it into a case.  When I've gone shooting with a rifle I didn't have a case for (not that I owned said weapon...), I wrapped it in a blanket to prevent just this sort of thing from happening.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #20 on: 12 Oct 2009, 09:24 »

Yeah, for once I agree with the forum murder junkies gun nuts legitimate owners of weaponry.

Why in the hell would you try and identify a weapon over the phone to the cops if you are not well-versed in the art of identifying weaponry? I mean if I saw that dude walking around with a gun I would not be that concerned about exactly what it looks like, I would just tell them "Yeah, a dude is walking around with a big fuck-off gun." I might add that it looks like a sniper rifle, but only if I was pretty bloody certain that is what it looked like. Even then I would point out that that is what I thought it was.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #21 on: 12 Oct 2009, 09:38 »

I might add that it looks like a sniper rifle, but only if I was pretty bloody certain that is what it looked like. Even then I would point out that that is what I thought it was.

Honestly, all the cops will hear in that case is "a rifle." A sniper rifle is a rifle that is used for sniping and perhaps is optimized for the job on some level. In all honesty, the US Marine Corps standard "sniper" rifle is essentially a Remington 700 that's modified to be match grade and to handle bumps and rough handling without having the scope getting out of alignment. It's not really any more lethal, it's just hopefully a lot less finicky and has a scope you don't buy at k-mart.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #22 on: 12 Oct 2009, 13:13 »

Honestly, all the cops will hear in that case is "a rifle." A sniper rifle is a rifle that is used for sniping and perhaps is optimized for the job on some level. In all honesty, the US Marine Corps standard "sniper" rifle is essentially a Remington 700 that's modified to be match grade and to handle bumps and rough handling without having the scope getting out of alignment. It's not really any more lethal, it's just hopefully a lot less finicky and has a scope you don't buy at k-mart.

YES!  I also hate the term "sniper rifle."  I find that only video game people use it, because to most other people, a real "sniper rifle" is very much the same as a "hunting rile."
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #23 on: 12 Oct 2009, 14:24 »

I think a lot of people are generally uncomfortable with the fact that many throughout the US are already armed with a weapon that could take out any creature living in North America from around 1,000 meters when used and cared for properly. After all, it was a former USMC member armed with a Remington 700 who was responsible for the '66 Texas University shooting. I suppose the current situation is due to some people fetishizing military gear while others are quite happy to disassociate their own weapons from the "dangerous" weapons that the more uninformed gun control advocates may go after.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2009, 14:26 by Alex C »

Nodaisho

« Reply #24 on: 12 Oct 2009, 17:41 »

I own a Sako Hunter 85 30-06 cal and a Brescia Lux 12-gauge shotgun, and gun shows are frequently advertised at a place near my residence.
Wow. I wouldn't have guessed. I knew Norway had less strict laws than the UK, but I didn't imagine you owned any.

Alex, the problem with trying to disassociate your guns from the scary stereotype is that others would be more than happy to re-associate them, calling your .30-06 elk gun a "high powered sniper rifle" (high powered seems to be a catch-all term for anything with more power than a slingshot). For example, in some places pump shotguns have been banned, or possibly will be banned. Not just the ultra-tactical scary ones, but the 28" ribbed barrel duck gun your grandpa has. And not a word about banning semi-auto ones, either. Apparently the pump is what makes it dangerous.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #25 on: 12 Oct 2009, 17:51 »

I didn't say it's a good idea or that it's effective, just that some people try to do it and it probably goes a long way towards why a lot of people can call a weapon a "sniper rifle" and not get called on it. I know guys who'll portray a sniper rifle as being some big, scary mythical weapon that isn't at all like the rifle they have at home. They'll walk right up to a city council member and posture to beat hell. It's disingenuous, but that's politics for you. All I'm saying that if you want to be technical about it, a high powered elk gun IS practically a sniper rifle, and vice versa. The labels and the posturing involved is just dancing around the fact that guns are lethal weapons and that people are divided on whether or not they should be allowed.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2009, 18:03 by Alex C »

Nodaisho

« Reply #26 on: 12 Oct 2009, 18:02 »

Sure. I'll agree with you on that.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27 on: 12 Oct 2009, 18:13 »

That's funny. I've been at a gun store very recently (because unlike in Norway or the UK, people don't panic at the sight of a gun store or advertisement for a gun show. Seriously, be more like Switzerland), and I didn't see much that would fit a 6 and a half foot long anti-materiel rifle.

There's a gun store two blocks from my house.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Nodaisho

« Reply #28 on: 12 Oct 2009, 18:25 »

Something makes me doubt that the completely non-functional replica of a gun takes down like a real gun.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #29 on: 12 Oct 2009, 21:56 »

(picture of a gun case)

That does not look like it would accommodate the bipod.  If you look at the picture in the article, it barely looks like it can move and definitely has no mechanism for collapsing to make it easier to carry.  I mean, it's made to look good, not be portable.  Still, the blanket is a much better option than carrying it.  I've wrapped a .22 in a blanket to avoid the neighbors panicking when they saw me with my "AK 47."
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Nodaisho

« Reply #30 on: 12 Oct 2009, 22:37 »

Not that you own one  :wink:

My dad has done the same thing with BB guns, even though it never clicked as to why until just now. I had just figured he didn't want them getting banged up, so he wrapped them in a blanket to take them in the car. It probably helps that where we go, nobody cares about the BB guns.

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #31 on: 12 Oct 2009, 23:04 »

Being in the military i had to take my M4 with me everywhere i went(yes literally everywhere). Won't lie I was absolutely thrilled when i finally got to turn it in after 6mths of dragging it with me. Guess my point is I'm so use to having to have a rifle with me it just lost its allure. I think the same thing would happen to a lot of collectors as well. They maybe get to shoot their weapon once a week and then its locked up like a prized possession. Just kinda ranting here but I never got why people collected weapons in the 1st place. Drag that weapon with you everywhere you go for 6mths to a year and see how much you love it then.
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #32 on: 12 Oct 2009, 23:20 »

I treat guns as a way to relax and improve myself.  It's really nice to go target shooting with a .22 and all you're trying to do is get that next bullet to land closer to the bullseye than the last one.  Sure, I'm always interested in shooting something I haven't shot before, but that list contains things that tend to be fairly obscure and not that much fun to shoot.  Carrying a gun, owning a gun, or anything except shooting a gun is, I agree, fairly boring.  But when you sit down and it's just you, the gun and that target, it really focuses your mind and is just a great way to pass an afternoon.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Nodaisho

« Reply #33 on: 12 Oct 2009, 23:36 »

Drag that weapon with you everywhere you go for 6mths to a year and see how much you love it then.
Not for another three years.

Seriously, though. I don't think it is supposed to be exciting to own them, or to carry them (nerve-wracking at first, sure, but if you find it exciting, you probably don't have the right mindset to carry), but shooting them? It's a blast. Especially if the indoor range you are at doesn't have very good sound insulation.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #34 on: 13 Oct 2009, 02:45 »

This has turned into a gun wank thread and thus is boring.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #35 on: 13 Oct 2009, 03:14 »

Still marginally more interesting than a guitar wank thread.

Spluff

• it is time to party
« Reply #36 on: 13 Oct 2009, 03:48 »

At least guitar wank threads are clearly marked.
[16:27] Ozy:  has joined the room
[16:27] Quietus: porn necklace!
[16:27] Quietus: Shove it up yer vag!
[16:27] Ozy: has left the room

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #37 on: 13 Oct 2009, 05:31 »

Guitars make music which is interesting. Guns make nothing but holes in things. And that is just uninteresting.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #38 on: 13 Oct 2009, 05:58 »

As much as i like guitars and don't necessarily like guns, there is one exception:

because why bother with the hassle of loading your own arrow when a machine can do all of the work.

Slightly more on topic: In the scenario of a layman in the street seeing one of these would they know the difference between this (some kind of bastardised (sentient?) crossbow-gun) and a gun that fires actual bullets?

Also, i agree with Jens here that there are so many cases that you can buy that would discretely store the gun (prop or not). They don't even have to be designed for guns; i'm sure it would fit into a Double Bass case (looks a little too big for a cello) and nobody would phone the police if they thought that you were simply carrying around a musical instrument (don't quote me on this, it may or may not have already happened/happen in future).

P.S. I tried resizing the picture but it wouldn't work, sorry.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #39 on: 13 Oct 2009, 06:07 »

I'm not saying here that it's uninteresting. I'm saying that guitarwanking is more interesting.

Mind you, if you want to, I can certainly say and mean that talking about guns is uninteresting. Which it totally is. But I didn't want to do that here. But now you forced it out of me.

Damn.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #40 on: 13 Oct 2009, 07:54 »

Man I've been reading this thread being all high and mighty and thinking "oh guns are bad and they kill people, being interested in them and having totally reasonable discussions about them is shit blah blah blah" then about half way (about the time Bassist was talking about target shooting and how meditative he finds it) through I started swapping out "gun" for "bow" and yeah, I used to have these conversations about archery back when I knew people who did archery. I haven't done that in a few years and at this point I probably need a new bowstring as mine has been pretty improperly stored for at least 5 - 7 years. I wish there was an archery range somewhere nearby where I could go and shoot. It is a great way to spend an afternoon and is significantly quieter than shooting a gun but that is like the main difference.

The point I am labouriously getting to is that it is maybe time for all the gun-control advocates (of which I am a member) to be a little less looking-down-their-noses at the gun people. In this thread at least (which, being the video game forum is maybe not the best place for the discussion but whatever) the pro-gun people are not talking like raving lunatics about how they're going to shoot everyone that looks at them funny or asks them for a light or however these conversations end up.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #41 on: 13 Oct 2009, 08:08 »

Yeah, but Jimmy, you're forgetting:

He always seemed so normal.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #42 on: 13 Oct 2009, 08:11 »

Don't be stupid I never seemed normal.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #43 on: 13 Oct 2009, 08:17 »

No no, I mean that's what the neighbours always say right after someone goes on a shooting rampage. I'm saying that just because the pro-gun people in this thread don't seem like raving lunatics, doesn't mean that they're not plotting to murder us all even as we speak . . . err, type.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #44 on: 13 Oct 2009, 08:19 »

Honestly the only one that is giving me any murdervibes is Nodaisho but that's cos he's like 5 or whatever and has a huge hard-on for guns which I guess is normal for a teenager.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #45 on: 13 Oct 2009, 08:21 »

Well don't come crying to me when you wake up dead.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #46 on: 13 Oct 2009, 08:24 »

I...but...well that's just...

Yes, Harry. :(

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #47 on: 13 Oct 2009, 08:50 »

I've been to the shooting range with more girls that I've played video games with, too.

And the girls were never seen again.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #48 on: 13 Oct 2009, 09:17 »

Man Jimmy I don't think any of the gun-control folks are really looking down on the gun-owners - I mean unlike some of the ones we've had in the past like Skawronska the dudes who own/like guns in this thread are all fairly sensible bunnies and while I might disagree with some of their attitudes towards guns I certainly don't think they're nutjobs. (Also I totally had a boner for guns when I was a teenager too and it wasn't like I even had a chance to play with them.)

Also I mightn't be a huge gunwank fan but god is it about seventy-five trillion times more interesting than guitarwankery.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #49 on: 13 Oct 2009, 10:57 »

Also I mightn't be a huge gunwank fan but god is it about seventy-five trillion times more interesting than guitarwankery.

To me gun wankery is a bit less boring than guitar wankery, since there's often some discussion of the attitudes and social issues involved with gun ownership as well. A pure "Ooh, look at this one!" thread will be boring as hell, but it's unlikely to come to that on a forum like this, and it's an issue that comes up just as often with guitars. But really, gun wankery is winning by default here, since I think the most interesting digression I've seen from a guitar wank thread came when Jeph and Patrick started calling eachother pussies in all caps due to a difference of opinion on string gauges.

As for the gun control thing, most people in America are more or less of the opinion you are Jeans. Polling has shown that the majority of Americans recognize the right to own a gun yet a slight majority also favors having stricter laws or at least more tightly enforcing the ones that are already on the books. Thus most of the disagreements tend to be based on the details, such as "assault weapons," concealed carry, and wait lists. You do of course have people who favor an outright ban and libertarian militia types who are against any and all restrictions, but they're generally a significant minority and are visible largely because they're disproportionately likely to throw their weight behind special interest groups.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up