THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 30 Apr 2024, 04:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tell me what DS games to buy.  (Read 9824 times)

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
Tell me what DS games to buy.
« on: 08 Sep 2009, 17:19 »

So yeah, I need some new games.
I enjoyed the Phoenix Wright series and Final Fantasy Tactics, what I want is a good rpg with lots of shit to customize.
Or just an all round immense game.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
Re: Tell me what DS games to buy.
« Reply #1 on: 08 Sep 2009, 17:41 »

pokemon
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #2 on: 08 Sep 2009, 21:16 »

GTA Chinatown Wars is really, really cool. 
Disgaea DS is a really good SJRPG which is very complex, very difficult and a lot of fun.

Knights In The Nightmare is incredibly tough and VERY hard to get into but if you do get into it it's insanely fun and rewarding and has a really cool art style.  Doing the First Steps and the Tutorial took me about an hour....so....only get into it if you really are prepared for it.

Devil Survivor is probably one of the best RPGS on the DS.  It's got some japanese name in front of it....Shin Megumi Tensai I believe, I didn't put that in front of it because I'm not sure about spelling.  I haven't gotten too far into it but it's fun and is pretty deep. 

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #3 on: 09 Sep 2009, 06:04 »

Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #4 on: 09 Sep 2009, 07:44 »

When it comes out, Scribblenauts. Oh my yes Scribblenauts.
There is no true love, just a finely tuned jealousy.

DarkAvenger

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #5 on: 09 Sep 2009, 08:16 »

I haven't played it or heard of it but if it is a Shin Megami Tensei game, then Devil Survivor will be a really good game (I am a huge supporter of SMT)

Also: If you're looking for a fun game, that has a lot to do, and customization of characters, but you don't mind turn based strategy try Disgaea. I believe the DS port is still called Afternoon of Darkness. It's a terrific, and quirky, strategy game that I find myself coming back to quite often. There are a lot of stages (infinite) and you can level your characters up to lvl. 9999 (I think that with a certain function is gets them even higher than that) and it's funny as hell in parts.

Headwoünd

• Larger than most fish
  • DENIED!
« Reply #6 on: 09 Sep 2009, 09:36 »

The three Castlevania games so far released for the DS are nice and should take you a while.
It's more hack&slay than character development or story, buts it's fun and you can choose from a vast arsenal of spells and weapons (which can be improved by combining them with spells in Dawn of Sorrow - Death's Scythe, oh yes) and level up the character.

Also recommend The World Ends With You. JRPG with interesting combat system and also lots of options how to set up your characters. Wasn't my cup of tea, but may be worth a look for you.
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2009, 09:41 by Headwoünd »
I'll take a sausage superior to any burger ... AND EAT IT!

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2009, 05:22 »

How have we got this far without anyone mentioning Phantom Hourglass
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

Merrick

• Larger than most fish
  • Officially Awesome
« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2009, 05:40 »

I enjoy Advance Wars.
I am in desperate need of a life and common sense.

Quintessentially British.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2009, 10:08 »

Elite Beat Agents was fun, I found a used copy of it and had a bit of a blast , couldn't erase the fucking save though, its lucky the person who owned it before me sucked and so I could still enjoy myself beating all of their terrible scores, and they hadn't unlocked the upper levels so, I'm getting off track here. Also hell I bought pokemon diamond and enjoyed it, even if its just a rehash in every iteration of the game.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2009, 14:43 »

Devil Survivor

owns

Phantom Hourglass

owns

I enjoy Advance Wars.

owns (both of them)

Elite Beat Agents

owns

The three Castlevania games

these own but i'd start with the most recent one because it's the best and also the easiest to find

Professor Layton and the Curious Village

owns but it will probably make you feel kinda dumb (also the sequel just came out if you're in america)

Knights in the Nightmare

also owns but it's really hard

I have way too many DS games, maybe I'll go through them all and make a more comprehensive list sometime soon. But those are the suggestions so far that I approve of. I hear the DS Disgaea port is kinda busted, and I've never played The World Ends With You because I find Tetsuya Nomura's characters completely insufferable. Obviously, nobody's played Scribblenauts yet but it does seem really cool.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #11 on: 10 Sep 2009, 17:31 »

I firmly support getting Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia. I support Devil Survivor also. I wish I could finish it, but I am currently looking for it, it being lost.
Hate, rain on me

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #12 on: 10 Sep 2009, 20:43 »

Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure!
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Ikrik

« Reply #13 on: 11 Sep 2009, 23:22 »

Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure!

I just got this in the mail today and it's pretty fun, it got middling reviews but I'm enjoying it quite a bit.  It has a lot of charm.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #14 on: 15 Sep 2009, 15:18 »

just played the tutorial levels of Scribblenauts. i'm pretty excited to really get into the thick of it. the strictly touch-based controls are a little weird at first but i think i'll get used to it pretty quick. further review to come later when i've had a chance to play the actual game.

anyone else played it yet? thoughts?
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #15 on: 15 Sep 2009, 15:47 »

I bought Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story instead. Haven't started it yet, will probably do so in a little while.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #16 on: 16 Sep 2009, 05:45 »

If you enjoy in-depth RPGs, the remake of Chrono Trigger for the DS is really very good.
It's an amazing RPG which is superbly fun, from square waaaay long ago on the NES (I would personally rate it higher than FFVI (altho FFVII is higher than Trigger in my mind).  I would, however, rate the sequel to Trigger--Chrono Cross--higher than FFVII)
It's got time traveling, robots, a frog, a cavewoman, magic, multiple endings depending on how you beat the game and how you start new game (+s), and other assorted awesome things.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2009, 05:49 by smack that isaiah »
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 16 Sep 2009, 10:25 »

just played the tutorial levels of Scribblenauts. i'm pretty excited to really get into the thick of it. the strictly touch-based controls are a little weird at first but i think i'll get used to it pretty quick. further review to come later when i've had a chance to play the actual game.

anyone else played it yet? thoughts?

my only problems so far are the controls (I hate touch based controls besides Phantom Hourglass) and that some hints are so god damn vague.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #18 on: 16 Sep 2009, 16:20 »

yeah, the controls are kind of a bitch but i'm pretty much used to it now so whatever. i've beaten almost every single puzzle up to world 3 (i think) and i must say i'm surprised at the difficulty of certain levels. most levels are like derp derp easy but some of them are Contra hard so it's a little unbalanced in that respect.

so what are your most-used words? mine would probably be "Cthulhu," "grappling hook," and "trampoline."
also, a fun little easter egg type thing: if you type in "teleporter" you can teleport yourself to what i can only assume is the studio that made the game; it's populated by unique-looking people with names like "Alex" and "Laura" and one of them is a zombie for some reason.

i haven't even peeked at the level editor yet.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #19 on: 16 Sep 2009, 22:26 »

Not just the studio - you can also get to another plannet with martians and aliens and a broken space ship or a cave with an archeoligist, another guy 2 mummies and a monster of some form - I figure each of them are bonus puzzles without clues.

it took me forever to get the last puzzle in the first world - in the end I summoned a 'killer' to attack the bee and the pirahna.

I'm a little dissapointed that 'lightsaber' and 'hookshot' didn't work
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

Ikrik

« Reply #20 on: 16 Sep 2009, 22:36 »

The more I saw of Scribblenauts the more excited I became for it.  Then about a month ago I lost all interest.  It's not like I need any more DS games. 

I think it's an amazing concept but honestly I don't think I'll pick it up.

parm

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #21 on: 17 Sep 2009, 02:29 »

Fucksakes, people. Bangai-O Spirits.
You've got spunk and balls, Jen. And I like that in a woman.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #22 on: 19 Sep 2009, 16:45 »

You could give Harvest Moon or Rune Factory (Harvest Moon with swords. No, really) a try if you're the sort of obsessive who is into that kind of thing. Personally, that series was never really my cup of tea (I got bored at about the time I realize that I'm expected to do a million fetch quests and get married), but apparently some people get really, really hooked on it, and it's certainly involved enough that it came to mind when I think of big DS games with rpg elements. Fair warning: they are tremendously lame.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2009, 17:02 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

morbid79

• I like to work.
    • laccetti
« Reply #23 on: 20 Sep 2009, 06:15 »

Scribblenauts, pick a Final Fantasy game, Zelda, March of the Minis.
King Lemon

Ikrik

« Reply #24 on: 20 Sep 2009, 11:42 »

Scribblenauts, pick a Final Fantasy game, Zelda, March of the Minis.

mrrrrrr.  No.  I will shoot down just about all of these.

Scribblenauts has been very well received critically but gamers have found it to be tremendously over-hyped and not nearly as enjoyable.  See if you can play it before you buy it because you don't want to waste 40 bucks.

Avoid the remakes of Final Fantasy games, there are quite a few.  I've heard some good things about FFXII - Revenant Wings or something to that effect.  I've heard also that the Tactics game is also good, if you're into Tactics at all.

The Zelda game is an interesting exercise but really, it is not that enjoyable.  By the 6th time you go back to the same temple to go deeper into it you're going to be screaming in complete frustration. It's painfully frustrating and not for any good reason.

I haven't played March of the Minis so I can't say anything at all about it.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #25 on: 20 Sep 2009, 12:35 »

I have to say fuck this guy^ right there and get Zelda, it's one of the most clever entries into the series and the dungeon you have to keep revisiting isn't that bad since you go through it a different way each time.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #26 on: 20 Sep 2009, 14:55 »

motion to fuck this guy, all in favor say aye
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

ackblom12

« Reply #27 on: 20 Sep 2009, 20:13 »

aye

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #28 on: 21 Sep 2009, 01:43 »

motion carried, guy duly fucked

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #29 on: 21 Sep 2009, 01:46 »

i dunno, he kind of has a point. i love zelda to death and i like phantom hourglass a lot... but doing that temple thing over and over has given the game no replayability for me and i've played through OoT and WW several times. it was great once through, but i doubt i'll pick it up again. for $40 and such a short game, i'd rather it have been something i want to play through again.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #30 on: 21 Sep 2009, 02:38 »

I literally stopped playing Phantom Hourglass out of complete frustration with not being able to save halfway through a dungeon and the constant repeating and OH GOD I BOUGHT THAT GAME AND WAS SO EXCITED AND IT HAS JUST SAT THERE UNPLAYED FOR A YEAR.

It could have been really fun but I do not have the patience for that kind of shit Zelda game, you should know better than that.  Just give me the Ocarina of Time and Epona and I am happy.

Also Scribblenauts looks AWESOME.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #31 on: 21 Sep 2009, 16:33 »

Man, they should rerelease Link's Awakening for the DS.
It's got Chain Chomps, Goombas and NOW YOU MUST PAY THE ULTIMATE PRICE BZZZZZZZZZZZZAP

Ikrik

« Reply #32 on: 21 Sep 2009, 19:21 »

Wow, I was beginning to think that no one was going to agree with me.

Out of all the people I know who have a DS, 3 still like Phantom Hourglass.  About 7 hate it and 3 didn't bother with it.  It ended up on my shelf for months before I returned it to EB.  I like Zelda and I think it's pretty sweet but Phantom Hourglass gets incredibly frustrating about the 4-6th time you visit the same temple.  It's fine for the first couple of times but after a while it really starts to get to you because they expect you to remember all the puzzles.  It become a chore.  I am much, much more excited for the next Zelda game for the DS.  Spirit Tracks I believe. 

->Melodic
Motion must have been dismissed because so far no one has come up and duly fucked me. Thank god.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #33 on: 21 Sep 2009, 22:44 »

BUREAUCRACY

morbid79

• I like to work.
    • laccetti
« Reply #34 on: 22 Sep 2009, 05:28 »

Sucks that you guys didn't like it, but it was still a terrific game.  :)  Also, I suggested Scribblenauts because I own it and have been having a lot of fun with it, not because of hype.  I didn't even know about it until the gf went into a knitting store and I found refuge in an electronics store.
King Lemon

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #35 on: 22 Sep 2009, 08:55 »

Scribblenauts would be fantastic if it had reliable physics. as it is most of the puzzles are just annoying.
Also all my friends that have zelda agree that is pretty much the perferction of the DS.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #36 on: 23 Sep 2009, 05:45 »

The people I know who got Phantom Hourglass are split into three camps.
Those who complain about revisiting that one dungeon several times and who also suck at videogames.
Those who blitzed through the entire game in a few hours and complained it was far too short and easy.
Those who think that the game was far too short and easy yet praise everything else about it anyway.

morbid79

• I like to work.
    • laccetti
« Reply #37 on: 23 Sep 2009, 07:32 »

I would probably fit into the third group - I blew through it in a few hours over a weekend.  That, and the replay value is sort of low.  (Still gotta play through it once, though!)
King Lemon
Pages: [1]   Go Up