THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 15:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taking The Kids To The Movies  (Read 7707 times)

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
Taking The Kids To The Movies
« on: 15 Sep 2009, 11:04 »

This thread can be multipurpose!

1)What are your opinions on kids seeing R rated movies? And why?

2)Know of any good parent guides for all movies coming to theaters? Something that would list the R rated films as well.

I ask all of this because my 8(9 in November) year old, Salad Fingers shirt wearing, zombie loving, little brother wants me to take him to see Zombieland. From what I can gather this movie is rated R because of gore, violence, and language. This kid has played through Dead Rising, Resident Evil, and whatnot, so I don't think gore is a too terrible thing for him to see. Plus he is a really smart kid, and of all my siblings, probably the most levelheaded. Do you think it'd be fine for me to take him to see this? Would you?
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Re: Taking The Kids To The Movies
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2009, 11:34 »

if the kid knows how to behave in a movie theater and you think he can handle the content of the movie itself then, by all means, go for it. if, however, he's going to be talking obnoxiously in spanish right into my fucking ear while his stupid parents just ignore him then and pretend like nothing's wrong then no, you shouldn't.

err...uh...when i saw Watchmen, there were two little kids behind me. they are dead now because i killed them.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Zingoleb

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2009, 12:39 »

if the kid knows how to behave in a movie theater and you think he can handle the content of the movie itself then, by all means, go for it.

That pretty much sums it up neater than I would have.

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2009, 12:42 »

IMO, 8 or 9 seems a little young for a movie like that in the theater.  I know my 3 yr old has seen some zombie movies, but it's kind of different when it's in your living room on a 27 inch screen, no surround sound, on your papa's lap.  The theater, in the dark, as loud as it is could scare an otherwise desensitized child.  Just be sure... I reiterate sure that the kid can handle it. 
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2009, 14:25 »

I say take him. As long as he isn't he kind of little kid that talks a lot during movies it should be a good. I saw The Matrix, Starships Troopers, and Saving Private Ryan all in theaters before I was 10 and I definitely handled all those well. I mean, it didn't corrupt me or anything like that. I think the adverse effects of violence/gore in movies on children is overstated as long as the kid has a positive family life.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2009, 14:27 »

There's a website out there that has reviews of movies from a father with young kids point of view / can you take your kids to see these movies.

I think this is a true statement, because I remember reading a review on it recently. However, I can't for the life of me remember what the name of the site was.

Sorry, I guess this is a pretty pointless post.
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2009, 17:37 by StaedlerMars »
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2009, 15:55 »

Go for it Emaline.

Discussion-wise I would have to say it depends on the movie. Me and my(autistic) brother would watch the matrix over and over again. Neither of us had broken double digits when it came out. Ichi the Kiler on the other hand...
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2009, 16:19 »

Yeah I wouldn't take a kid to see something ridiculously profane like Teeth, but Zombieland looks harmless enough.

However, I would probably see it myself first before taking a kiddie that young. E.G. I wouldn't take a 9 year old to see the Dawn of the Dead remake, but my dad took me when I was 13.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2009, 17:18 »

I took my little brother to see Robocop 2 when he was 9 or 10, and I joke now that this explains a lot about him.

I don't think it's any particular part of the violence/gore that's an issue as much as how intense the movie is from start to finish. As pen says, the immersive quality of a theater makes it much different than watching it at home. Being his cool older sister, just let him know it's ok if he needs to step out into the foyer for a couple minutes, or if you see signs that it's overwhelming him, ask if he wants to come with YOU so you can take a break.  :wink:
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #9 on: 15 Sep 2009, 19:46 »

This is kind of a moot point for me, and probably for the other Australians as well, as when something has an R rating here you have to be over 18 to see the film regardless of whether you have an parent or guardian present. That said the american R rating seems to translate to an MA rating here (15+ or with an parent/guardian - which means that you wouldn't be able to take him anyway as you're not his guardian or parent) so I would probably think it's ok to take him, as long as he's not a jerk that's going to ruin the film for everyone else. I hate almost every child I've met and I usually can't stand it when someone takes their small child to the cinema with them because the little shits usually talk loudly all the way through and are complete cunts and fuck you I hate your child just leave them at home you piece of shit... Ok so kids at the cinema is one of my buttons.

If he can handle it then fine take him but, because I also agree with the cinema vs at home movie thing I'd probably say wait til it's on dvd.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2009, 20:40 »

If it were my brother or kid, I would make him wait until it came out on video. I don't really think it's a good idea, no matter how level headed, for a kid to be in a theater for an R movie until they are in the double digits. But I generally don't like kids in theaters because most don't seem to know how to behave or not be rude. I guess if your bother behaves, then really, it's up to you whether to take him or not, but it depends on whether or not your theater will let him in. Some may not.

Then again, I am that person who will turn around and grab the leg of the kid kicking my chair and dare them to kick my chair one more time. I will tell you to stop once and then your leg is mine.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #11 on: 16 Sep 2009, 07:52 »

In Canada this wouldn't come up - to buy the tickets to see an R rated movie you've got to be 18+.

Personally, I would wait for the video - if it gets too much for him you can pause, fast forward, or simply turn it off.  As a parent, the key to watching movies in theatres has been the kids - when they can respect the other theatre goers by being quiet and sitting still for the movie then it's all down to the subject matter of the movie and the child.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #12 on: 16 Sep 2009, 09:12 »

Well, to buy R rated movies here, you can buy 1 when you're 17 and you can buy tickets for others once you're 18.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #13 on: 16 Sep 2009, 09:31 »

There's a website out there that has reviews of movies from a father with young kids point of view / can you take your kids to see these movies.

I think this is a true statement, because I remember reading a review on it recently. However, I can't for the life of me remember what the name of the site was.

Sorry, I guess this is a pretty pointless post.

You may be thinking of http://www.screenit.com/.  I visit there sometimes.  The guy breaks everything down into how much profanity (including "F word count"), violence, sex, nudity, smoking... pretty much everything, how graphic, and in what context.  He also gives brief commentaries on each main character as a role model, an overview of which kinds of kids might want to see it, and which kind of kids probably should not.

It's very thorough.  The downside is that the site itself is a fucking maze of advertising and him begging you to "join" his site.  I think you click "No Thanks" twice before you get to the actual content.  But it is very informative.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #14 on: 16 Sep 2009, 13:28 »

In Canada this wouldn't come up - to buy the tickets to see an R rated movie you've got to be 18+.

True, but R ratings in Canada are incredibly rare.  An R in America is much more similar to an 18A rating in here, as though someone under 18 cannot buy their own ticket, they are free to go in to the movie with someone else who is of age.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #15 on: 17 Sep 2009, 01:47 »

He is very respectful in theaters. We went to see Coraline together, in 3D, and at most, he giggled, quietly, during the trailer for Ice Age. Like I said, he's really level headed(more so than most adults, it seems sometimes), so I'm pretty sure if it gets too crazy for him, he'd ask to leave or take a break, and I'm fine with that. He is super respectful, so he won't make a lot of noise. I'm going to talk to him more about it later.

And I will definitely check out that site later, when I'm on an actual computer. Thanks.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?
Pages: [1]   Go Up