THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 23:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: University/College  (Read 435810 times)

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
Re: University/College
« Reply #550 on: 16 Mar 2011, 18:50 »

I HATE COLLEGE ASHER ROTH LIED TO ME AND I HATE HIM TOO
it's time to stop posting

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #551 on: 16 Mar 2011, 19:42 »

I hate college students. College is not bad! Most of the students are pretty terrible, though.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface
« Reply #552 on: 16 Mar 2011, 19:54 »

I still like college students more than the workforce I interact with.

Also, I'm going to take a compsci minor because I can still graduate on time in a year.

Also, and also, can you fudge the requirement and have a PO box or something?  It seems like such an arbitrary thing.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #553 on: 16 Mar 2011, 20:08 »

Guys I need your general tips re: Personal Statements.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #554 on: 16 Mar 2011, 20:19 »

Introduce yourself. What have you done? What do you want to do? Why? And they're personal, so don't make them sound too formal. They're mostly an introduction to you as a person instead of you as a piece of paper.

Definitely keep it to one page if you can.

Basically just be likable and let them know what your goals are. It's only a problem if it's badly written, like poor grammar, is irrelevant, flows badly, etc, which I don't think you'll have a problem with.

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #555 on: 16 Mar 2011, 20:28 »

Tips:
  • Ask your favorite professors to read over your statement.  Professors, plural.  Get advice from several, and especially seek out anyone who has a degree in your field of interest.
  • Ask for samples of successful personal statements from professors you talk to.  They've probably worked with other students recently who have gotten into schools.  Once you do that--and this is key!--don't be intimidated!  Read the samples with an eye to organization, content, and tone, but don't give into the voices in your head that say, "Oh my God, I can never write something this polished-sounding."  You can.  You will.
  • Keep editing.  I ended up doing 5 or 6 full drafts of my basic statement--not counting the time spent on the individual program-specific portions of each statement (I sent out ten applications), and not counting proofreading.
  • Organization-wise, I did two paragraphs of general educational background (in which I made a claim as to who I am as a scholar), two paragraphs of anecdote, one paragraph of research interests, one paragraph talking about other details of the program that appeal to me, and a closing statement that emphasized what I could bring to their program. This will not be the same for everyone, of course (I read a bunch of statements without an anecdote... but I liked what it did for my statement), but that outline is generally typical: history, research interests, why this program.
  • One thing my professors kept emphasizing was making sure the statement explains who you are as a scholar.  What sort of work do you do?  How do you set yourself apart from other people in the field?  What would make them want you--as a student, as a colleague, maybe even as a collaborator or cowriter on a paper, study, or grant?

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #556 on: 16 Mar 2011, 23:11 »

Thanks! I am much more intimidated, now.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #557 on: 17 Mar 2011, 00:12 »

i think i still have my statement, i could send it to you if you want. i really just wrote a bunch of bullshit about how much i rule
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #558 on: 17 Mar 2011, 00:14 »

Do it
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #559 on: 17 Mar 2011, 03:49 »

Unfortunately the residency requirement is not something I can get round easily. My options at this point are: find a flat within the 3 mile zone; persuade college to give me back the room on campus which I picked out last year (and which according to their own policy I have a right to return to); accept the almost certainly terrible room they will assign me.

I guess I will have to try the second one, but I really badly want to have my own flat. The possibility has been dangled in front of me and now I just don't want to see it snatched away :(
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #560 on: 17 Mar 2011, 16:31 »

May, it's quite possible that landlords know about the .3 rule and adjust their prices accordingly. Unless there's a law against that sort of thing, which wouldn't really do much to help supply in the long run.

This Personal Statement is harrrrrrrd  :cry:
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #561 on: 17 Mar 2011, 16:54 »

i just sent mine to you but upon reading it over super quick it's like, embarrassingly full of typos so i think i probably sent you a near-finished draft instead of the actual statement i included in my package (which i don't think i have anymore). oops. hopefully it gives enough of a jist of how to do this thing

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #562 on: 17 Mar 2011, 19:23 »

I don't know if it would help, but I could send you mine, too.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #563 on: 18 Mar 2011, 15:45 »

Update:  I got in to Michigan!! Still no word on financial aid, but I am going to the "visiting days" next weekend.  I did not get into Illinois, but I thought that might happen, weeks after I sent my application I noticed I had put the wrong university name in the closing paragraph of my personal statement :S  I'm not sure that is a mistake you can make up for no matter how awesome the rest of your application is.   I am super psyched though because Michigan was my number 1 choice.  I am waiting to here back from 3 more schools, but unless one of them offers me the most ridiculous funding, I will be going to Michigan.

WOOHOO!
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #564 on: 18 Mar 2011, 16:43 »

I don't know if it would help, but I could send you mine, too.
The more the merrier!
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #565 on: 18 Mar 2011, 17:20 »

I got offered a place in the honours program!
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #566 on: 24 Mar 2011, 22:53 »

I do hope I wasn't expected to read the entire thread before posting (although I suppose I'll try at some point).  But I'm currently going for a masters program in elementary education, while getting certified to teach.  I'm finishing up classes in May, and I'll student teach in the fall.  The actual teaching is fun, but the classes are tiresome.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #567 on: 30 Mar 2011, 05:42 »

Guys I think I have my honours question kinda worked out  and I am so excited about this because it is actually probably a really interesting area of law that is fairly recent. Here's to the next nine months.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #568 on: 30 Mar 2011, 05:52 »

I have been given my thesis question by my supervisor (I don't get to choose the topic in my course). I have to try and figure out a hypothesis and stuff in about two weeks. Umm... Fuck..

Still, I only have to get through this year and then even if I don't get into Masters I can do a registration program and become a therapist.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #569 on: 30 Mar 2011, 10:04 »

So, I went to a rather competitive college-preparatory military school for 12 years, right, and one of the things I have had the hardest time dealing with in my public-university career is how much people just don't care about your education. Now, tenured professors who don't care if you show up and just keep on teachin' because shit, son, they already got paid - that is a different story, but when people are looking for the easiest passing grade or a degree they're never going to actually use, just to have it, and professors care more about their mandatory attendance policy than whether or not the book they chose is actually a good source, it gets... depressing. One of the things I miss about high school is how competitive we all were to be the best in the class: some people were better at maths, some better at writing, yeah, so it was usually confined to each individual course, but there was always that pressure to do well. Sure, there was that kid who made a deal with Georgia Tech to take maths courses because he finished the highest level the high school offered in 9th grade, and there was the guy who got a scholarship for writing a book at 16, but we pretty much accepted that everyone was exceptional in their own way, so it wasn't discouraging when certain people left us so far behind. We still managed to make each other ashamed of failing.

I think I miss that peer pressure, guys, and I dunno what to do about that. Public school sucks.
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2011, 10:07 by calenlass »
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #570 on: 30 Mar 2011, 10:09 »

Then turn that attitude around and be all fuck you people, I am far more awesome than your lazy asses and I'm going to fucking prove it. That's what I did in my electives. Mostly because all of my core classes made me feel like a shitty student half the time and I needed something to feel good about.

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #571 on: 30 Mar 2011, 11:10 »

So, I have a meeting with my English professor in twenty minutes about my paper, and I have written none of it.  I am confident that I can bullshit my way through the meeting, despite only having a slight grasp of what I'm doing with my paper.  I have done this twice already and gotten A's both times.  I fucking love college.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #572 on: 30 Mar 2011, 12:06 »

You are the embodiment of the above problem.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #573 on: 30 Mar 2011, 13:21 »

I think I miss that peer pressure, guys, and I dunno what to do about that. Public school sucks.
When I was an undergrad, I majored in Classics.  The problem is that other than my advanced Latin classes (and I only took a couple of those), most or all of my other classes (humanities and basic Latin/Greek) were people taking them as a general requirement.  Because of this, there was almost no participation, since they were there not out of interest, but simply for the credit.  It got frustrating after a while.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

benji

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #574 on: 30 Mar 2011, 13:55 »

I went to a private liberal arts school where most students were fairly studious. We ranked somewhere in the top 10 for "schools where students never stop studying" in one of those Princeton review surveys. I still had classmates who didn't seem too interested in being in school and who didn't try very hard. There are more competitive schools out there, but you'll generally find some slackers at every school. Private colleges usually just have smarter or richer slackers. You'll also always find highly motivated students everywhere, you might just have to look for them. I'm not sure where you are in school, but if you're still undecided about major, I recommend choosing a major that really challenges as well as interests you. Then, once you've figured out your major, pick the smartest person in your department and befriend them. You'll probably keep each other on your toes.
This signature is intentionally left blank.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #575 on: 30 Mar 2011, 14:50 »

Best thing about my degree is that, because graduate employment is so competitive and especially so now because we are the third law school to set up in our cosy little state, people who give a shit really give a shit. Even if they're not especially academically adept they are still trying to get work experience or participate in competitions or something to give them some sort of edge.

allison

• Bling blang blong blung
  • i really want a mustache
« Reply #576 on: 30 Mar 2011, 16:12 »

On the other side of the coin are people who are annoyed that you judge their choices without considering the reasons that they might not be SUPER SUPER EXCITED about learning, like you are!
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #577 on: 30 Mar 2011, 16:28 »

I would imagine that those are mostly people getting a degree because they need one to make more money/get hired. I would also imagine that many of those people do not much care which degree they get, because their future employers don't care either.

catch-22
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #578 on: 30 Mar 2011, 17:23 »

I guess because it is a law degree it is something you need to have a fairly decent level of academic achievement to even begin, so that cuts out a decent proportion of people who don't give a shit.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #579 on: 30 Mar 2011, 23:28 »

On the other side of the coin are people who are annoyed that you judge their choices without considering the reasons that they might not be SUPER SUPER EXCITED about learning, like you are!

to be fair i really don't think katie was trying to be judgmental at all here, just commenting that it's frustrating when you're a determined person who wants to find like-minded people who enjoy learning as much as you do and apparently university is becoming less and less of a practical venue for that. yeah, of course people go to university for all kinds of reasons, but then where do you go when you want an intellectual challenge and an encouraging environment, if not university? i don't know what other options are available, that's really what university's supposed to be. her experience is/was pretty much my entire undergrad university experience as well and it really can leave you feeling pretty lonely and discouraged, sometimes overwhelmingly so. it's really expensive! also really hard and really time consuming! i mean, it really is such a substantial part of your life you're putting into it.

on the plus side: grad school still rules! the challenge and pressure are totally worth the fact that i'm almost literally killing myself with work. really! it is!
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2011, 23:41 by tania »

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #580 on: 04 Apr 2011, 21:19 »

speaking of which, someone please instruct me within the next 48 hours on how the fucking fuck balls you present a 30 page research paper in fifteen minutes or less. someone. help. help me

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #581 on: 04 Apr 2011, 22:00 »

First sentence of every page!

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #582 on: 04 Apr 2011, 22:50 »

it's still five minutes over fffffff

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #583 on: 04 Apr 2011, 23:17 »

goodbye, painstakingly assembled recommendations for youth justice legislative reform. goodbye

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #584 on: 04 Apr 2011, 23:18 »

goodbye, 90% of my equally painstakingly prepared literature review

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #585 on: 04 Apr 2011, 23:20 »

man this is so great, i love this 15 minute allotment because it's like the absolute perfect amount of time to completely and utterly misrepresent how much fucking balls shit work i put into this stupid dildo. fuck my balls forever

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #586 on: 04 Apr 2011, 23:22 »

[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #587 on: 04 Apr 2011, 23:23 »

i've requested extensions on literally every single final thing due

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #588 on: 04 Apr 2011, 23:26 »

i'm watching that video/listening to that song all the way through instead of working because i just don't give a fuck anymore

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #589 on: 04 Apr 2011, 23:30 »

i lied, i submitted my one final paper on time

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #590 on: 04 Apr 2011, 23:30 »

it was about 3000 words plus a page and a half of single-spaced endnotes. i did this in about five hours

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #591 on: 04 Apr 2011, 23:31 »

i'm not proud, i'm just saying that i basically did that because i punched my own card like a week and a half ago. fuck it. i'm done. a man physically threatened me today

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #592 on: 04 Apr 2011, 23:31 »

holy

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #593 on: 04 Apr 2011, 23:32 »

tania get on fb

nufan

• Curry sauce
« Reply #594 on: 05 Apr 2011, 04:26 »

So Manchester want proof of my bachelors degree to get into their masters program. This is despite the fact that:

1) I uploaded a scan of my degree certificate
2) I also uploaded my academic transcript
3) I FUCKING WELL WENT TO MANCHESTER FOR THE DEGREE YOU CUNTS

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #595 on: 05 Apr 2011, 04:48 »

1. Make copies
2. Get a staple gun
3. Staple copies to the heads of the relevant heads/deans
4. Run

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #596 on: 05 Apr 2011, 05:06 »

That is so ridiculous I don't know what to do except laugh incredulously and offer you my useless sympathy. Doesn't it worry you that the same people who are failing to notice the deluge of proof you've submitted are also the ones who will theoretically be awarding you the masters degree certificate?

nufan

• Curry sauce
« Reply #597 on: 05 Apr 2011, 05:28 »

Dunno, I figure like maybe they'll give me a phd by mistake or something

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #598 on: 05 Apr 2011, 12:20 »

My uni awards you a Masters degree automatically after a certain period from BA graduation, just for staying alive, non-arrested and non-divorced.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #599 on: 05 Apr 2011, 13:16 »

...non-divorced?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 50   Go Up