THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 12:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: University/College  (Read 443771 times)

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
Re: University/College
« Reply #700 on: 17 Apr 2011, 19:51 »

i also went the route of taking out a line of credit to pay for my MA rather than a student loan, which have always seemed like far too many hoops to jump through because apparently my parents make a lot of money (on paper). applying for the line of credit was a really easy process and i can manage it with all the rest of my online banking stuff easy schmeasy. it's also doing pretty excellent things for my credit rating because i am phenomenal at making payments on time. i'm like a shark. if maintaining good credit was an olympic event i'd be representing canada. maybe i'd take the gold. maybe i could even like, rent a nice apartment in this stupid city one day. you may still need a co-signer to apply, though.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2011, 19:59 by tania »
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #701 on: 17 Apr 2011, 20:26 »

i honestly just want to sit down and hang out with bell hooks, she is such a cool-seeming person
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #702 on: 17 Apr 2011, 20:30 »

whoa (from we real cool):

Alexander Crummell in his address before the Freedman’s Aid Society in 1883 spoke directly to a program for racial uplift that would focus on black women, particularly on education. He announced in his address that: “The lot of the black man on the plantation has been sad and desolate enough; but the fate of the black woman has been awful! Her entire existence from the day she first landed, a naked victim of the slave-trade, has been degradation in its extremest forms.” Frederick Douglass spoke regularly on behalf of gender equality. In his 1888 talk “I Am a Radical Woman Suffrage Man” he made his position clear:

The fundamental proposition of the woman suffrage movement is scarcely less simple than that of the anti-slavery movement. It assumes that woman is herself. That she belongs to herself, just as fully as man belongs to himself—that she is a person and has all the attributes of personality that can be claimed by man, and that her rights of person are equal in all respects to those of man. She has the same number of senses that distinguish man, and is like man a subject of human government, capable of understanding, obeying and being affected by law. That she is capable of forming an intelligent judgment as to the character of public men and public measures, and she may exercise her right of choice in respect both to the law and the lawmakers…nothing could be more simple or more reasonable.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #703 on: 17 Apr 2011, 20:43 »

bell hooks rules forever

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #704 on: 17 Apr 2011, 20:49 »

real talk

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #705 on: 17 Apr 2011, 22:02 »

also i'm back looking at outlaw culture and hilariously there's a chapter where she just shits all over naomi wolf. bell hooks rules

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #706 on: 17 Apr 2011, 22:06 »

Oh man I want to read that.

Naomi Wolf sucks
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #707 on: 17 Apr 2011, 22:08 »

yeah i mean ok i'm a white cisgendered dude and thus it's probably not really right for me to be calling out feminist writers but naomi wolf just like is completely sucky

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #708 on: 17 Apr 2011, 22:11 »

You know who's worse tho

Camille Paglia
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #709 on: 17 Apr 2011, 22:53 »

who bell hooks also shits on in this book

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #710 on: 17 Apr 2011, 22:59 »

To begin with, I need to make it clear to those who don't know that the throwing-shade, dissin', "reading" style that carried Miss Camille to fame was a persona she assembled after years of ethnographically studying the mannerisms of vernacular back culture, especially black gay subculture, and most especially the culture of the black queen. And girlfriend ain't even ashamed about this background, not at all embarrassed to say shit like:

My mentors have alwasy been Jews, Harold Bloom and so on, and they're the only ones who can tolerate my personality! But at any rate, when I got to Yale . . . whoa! Culture shock! Because I saw the way the WASP establishment had the Ivy League in a death grip. In order to rise in academe, you have to adopt this WASP Style. It's very laid-back. Now, I really can't do it, but I call it "walking on eggs at a funeral home." Now I'm loud. Did you notice? I'm very loud. I've had a hell of a time in academe. This is why I usually get along with African Americans. I mean when we're together, "Whooo!" It's like I feel totally myself – we just let everything go!

Naturally, all black Americans were more than pleased to have Miss Camille give us this vote of confidence, since we live to make it possible for white girls like herself to have a place where they can be "totally" themselves.

image_of_jordan_dunking_so_hard_the_glass_shatters_but_with_bell_hooks_head_clumsily_photoshopped_over_top.gif

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #711 on: 17 Apr 2011, 23:02 »

It would have been worth actually making that
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #712 on: 17 Apr 2011, 23:32 »

Oh, god, I totally know now what I'm going to do with my end of session break.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #713 on: 18 Apr 2011, 19:53 »

I got my Commonwealth Assistance Notice today, my student debt is currently at 7.2k. I still have a year and a half of this degree, as well as medicine which will take ages.

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!
« Reply #714 on: 20 Apr 2011, 16:19 »

(How did you decide in the end?)

Oh hey sorry I forgot to respond to this. I guess it was a mixture of realising which institution I would gain most from, where I would learn the most, and convincing my girlfriend to come with me if she can find work! Also, like Tommy said, who the hell passes up an opportunity to get paid to do what they love in California?

I am really excited - I realise previous posts might have sounded like I was whining about my incredible predicament, but man I know I am super lucky and now that the decision is out of the way I cannot wait to start.

I am sorry we won't be able to hang out all the time though, May.
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #715 on: 27 Apr 2011, 11:57 »

So I might be transferring to CSU a semester early (Hi John)? Or maybe not?  :psyduck:

I don't have the prerequisites for my desired major, but I have enough credits and a high enough GPA to be a strong candidate, and I might have enough credits that continuing at community college until I have my Associate's would be a waste of money, since the credits wouldn't transfer. So, basically, I need to decide what I'm doing, and then if I decide to go for the fall semester, get my application and letters of recommendation in within a bit more than a month, and all my scholarship applications.

Finals is not a good time to have to think about something like this.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #716 on: 27 Apr 2011, 12:37 »

Cool! I will have graduated in the Summer, but I'll probably be in the area and can update you on all sorts of Fort Collins things.

When I was in your sitch I transferred in without an Associate's (at the time it was more of an effort thing, though now it appears that I may have been 3 credits short) and there were no problems. If you've got a good GPA they'll transfer you no questions asked.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Nodaisho

« Reply #717 on: 27 Apr 2011, 13:16 »

Yeah. I've currently got a 3.25, although that's probably going to go down a bit this semester since I was sick for something like 3 weeks. Still should leave me above 3. I've got an appointment with the advisors to do a sort of dry run transfer, and I'll ask a bunch of questions there.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #718 on: 27 Apr 2011, 20:57 »

Why the fuck did I decide to major in physics? Why? And why the hell am I on here when I should be doing my quantum take home? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Because physics is just about as cool as it gets.  Keep up the good work. 
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2011, 21:03 by celticgeek »
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #719 on: 28 Apr 2011, 13:18 »

It's ok! No one works with more than two decimal places so you're fine!

(Does GPA come with its own maths class? I had enough trouble with my UMS grades and that was with a letter grade to help.)
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #720 on: 28 Apr 2011, 21:42 »

From the thumbnail it looks like a puddle of glowing nuclear waste with muddy edges.
When you click for big it doesn't look much better, but it does look DELICIOUS.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #721 on: 28 Apr 2011, 23:30 »

Why is it so green?  :psyduck:
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #722 on: 29 Apr 2011, 00:05 »

Probably avocado.  (I hate avocado)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BlakeJustBlake

• Furry furrier
  • I am not Michel Foucault
    • Facebook
« Reply #723 on: 29 Apr 2011, 03:53 »

Does anyone have any secrets for someone who is completely sick of school, but only has one semester left? I'm constantly fighting the urge to just drop all of the classes I signed up for in the fall and move.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #724 on: 29 Apr 2011, 06:43 »

If you only have one semester left, just finish. Once you're done with that one semester, you don't ever have to go to school again if you don't want to. I guess try to take something fun to balance it out? I don't know, my motivation to finish was finally being free of school and not incurring the wrath of my mother. (Love my mom to bits, but she can be scary.) So yeah.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

richlitt

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Hub
« Reply #725 on: 29 Apr 2011, 09:40 »

I've had senior slump, too. Just take it easy, try and do what you can. If you know you're going to avoid work for a day, don't try - take the day off. Go to the hills and then work the next day.

If you can, cultivate a short hobby in something else, and see if you can do that for some of the day, and work the rest of the time. That sort of works for me.
fungi are fucking punk rock!
I hear they're really big underground.

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #726 on: 29 Apr 2011, 10:02 »

Seconding the above post. The absolute best way I've found to motivate myself when my degree starts to drag is to find something else worth doing. Nothing makes uni more bearable than being happy with the rest of your life.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #727 on: 29 Apr 2011, 17:05 »

If you're not going to graduate with honors or something otherwise (this guy right here) you might try and calculate out what you need to get done to get a passing grade, then just do that. I know people who've done well enough with all their busywork and essays that they're just outright bailing on finals week and taking the subpar marks they get. You know what they say - "C's get degrees".

Anyhow, I've got about ~35 pages to write and 2 presentations to give in the next week. It's more or less my last week, but it's also the most academically rigorous week I've ever had. Just bad luck, I guess.

Also I have a question for the people - Anyone ever taken a two weekend, full-day course before? I'm tempted to sign up for one and just punch out my degree as quickly as possible, but I've got another, easier class I could take in a month's time and another harder class (that I'll probably need down the road) over two months' time. Anyone have experience with krash kourse klasses?
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #728 on: 29 Apr 2011, 20:13 »

Grades?  Ha!  What are those!  Just a word.  No, not even that.  Letters!  That's all they are.  Letters:mrgreen:
I tried to romance a lady photographer once. But it didn't work out because I could never understand about f-spots.

Nodaisho

« Reply #729 on: 01 May 2011, 17:16 »

Also I have a question for the people - Anyone ever taken a two weekend, full-day course before? I'm tempted to sign up for one and just punch out my degree as quickly as possible, but I've got another, easier class I could take in a month's time and another harder class (that I'll probably need down the road) over two months' time. Anyone have experience with krash kourse klasses?
Never done a two weekend, full day course, but I've done a two week ASE class that went from 7:15 or so until 12:15. It really starts to drag sometimes, especially if the professor isn't good at keeping you engaged the whole time. Also, I assume the class is during this summer? What building is it in, and how is the AC? If you are struggling to not fall asleep all day because it's 90 degrees outside and the building was built in 1910 and hasn't been touched since, you are going to have a hell of a time learning enough to pass.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #730 on: 01 May 2011, 17:24 »

Awww shit Clark C. That's going to be hard
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #731 on: 01 May 2011, 18:01 »

So I'm thinking of applying for an Ed.D in Mathematics Education.  Partly because I want to be a professor after teaching for a few years, and partly because I don't want to be done with school yet.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #732 on: 01 May 2011, 21:55 »

I just got the marks back for my first uni assessment this semester. D for Distinction baby (80% exactly, I am fucking awesome)!
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #733 on: 01 May 2011, 22:13 »

Congrats, Squiddy!

o/

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #734 on: 02 May 2011, 03:38 »

A D is a good grade? Dear God is everything in Australia upside down, shaken about?

Seriously though: congrats, that's awesome!
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #735 on: 02 May 2011, 03:53 »

the grades go:

HD (High Distinction)
D (Distinction)
C (Credit)
P (Pass)
F (Fail)? (I have never gotten anything this low, so I guess it is how it goes)

Sometimes there will be Credit+ marks, but I think they are more for assignments, and get averaged out for your end mark.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2011, 17:10 by Eris »
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #736 on: 02 May 2011, 17:05 »

You forgot T (Troll)

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #737 on: 03 May 2011, 15:00 »

Im so glad I wasn't the one to make that joke. I was thinking it so hard.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #738 on: 03 May 2011, 20:14 »

If only everyones grades could be Outstanding, Exceeds Expectations, Acceptable, Poor, Dreadful, and Troll.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Durin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #739 on: 04 May 2011, 14:41 »

Okay let's see...

Thermal Physics and Statistical Mechanics Final on Monday
Differential Equations Final on Wednesday
Intro Special Relativity/Mathematical Applications Final on Thursday
German Oral Final on Friday.

Good thing I have only basically started reviewing for Diff Eq

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #740 on: 04 May 2011, 15:05 »

My exams are usually spread out, like 4-6 days apart. Last semester I had exams on the first and last day of the examination period.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #741 on: 13 May 2011, 21:12 »

Timetable time!

Exam Timetable BAM!
Code: [Select]
Wednesday 15/06/2011 08:45 11:00 PHSL2101:Physiology 1A
Saturday 18/06/2011 13:45 16:00 BIOC2101:Principles of Biochem (Adv)
Monday 20/06/2011 Afternoon ANAT2241:Histology:Basic and Systematic
Tuesday 21/06/2011 13:45 16:00 MICR2011:Microbiology 1
Friday 24/06/2011 08:45 11:00 ANAT2241:Histology:Basic and Systematic
Saturday 25/06/2011 13:45 15:00 BIOC2101:Principles of Biochem (Adv)

2 1/2 of those are prac exams, uh, yay?

Although I can't enroll until Wednesday morning I made a mock up on rectangles (UNSW's premiere unofficial timetable planning web app) and it looks like I sort maybe get a day off (provided my Molecular Biology lecturer isn't a dick and actually makes us attend class in order to learn the content  :mrgreen:)

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #742 on: 13 May 2011, 23:02 »

I only have to take one final this semester (too high of a grade in my other classes) and even then I only need a 38.5% on this final to get an A in the class.

Too bad this isn't something I can get used to since I have a feeling college is going to be a bit harder after the intro courses...
I tried to romance a lady photographer once. But it didn't work out because I could never understand about f-spots.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #743 on: 13 May 2011, 23:39 »

Not as much as you'd think!
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #744 on: 13 May 2011, 23:40 »

guess who's researching for his honours thesis

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #745 on: 13 May 2011, 23:41 »

Me. I am.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #746 on: 13 May 2011, 23:48 »

I only have to take one final this semester (too high of a grade in my other classes) and even then I only need a 38.5% on this final to get an A in the class.

Too bad this isn't something I can get used to since I have a feeling college is going to be a bit harder after the intro courses...

richlitt

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Hub
« Reply #747 on: 15 May 2011, 01:53 »

Finished all of the work for my undergrad. Now I'm debating what to do, where to go, how to do it, and especially what movie to watch and which book to read.
fungi are fucking punk rock!
I hear they're really big underground.

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #748 on: 15 May 2011, 08:44 »

So I'm in the process of graduating from high school and commencing the summer before my entry into my freshman year of college. I have so many things to do this summer, but I feel really guilty for wanting to speed through these months to reach college. Is this normal? I just woke up this morning and started thinking about what books I'm bringing with me.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #749 on: 15 May 2011, 09:08 »

Just you and everyone else who's starting a new level of school in the fall  :-) Totally normal.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 50   Go Up