THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: University/College  (Read 435671 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
Re: University/College
« Reply #800 on: 03 Nov 2011, 14:34 »

That aswer may help your chances, actually...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #801 on: 03 Nov 2011, 15:46 »

There are applications that actually ask you about your weaknesses? I'm surprised. But why would whoever is reading those things be more impressed by thinly veiled inversions of postitive traits than by someone who is honestly introspective of their flawed character?
The "What is your greatest weakness?" question is a pretty standard one in job interviews too, especially in the "first-interview" phase when you are probably talking to an "HR Professional" who knows nothing about the field you're going to be working in. They usually work off some version of "Targeted Recruitment" methodology, running through what amounts to a check-list of standard questions. Everyone knows that you'll respond with some bullshit inversion of a positive trait, but it enables a box to be ticked, and that's the important thing.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #802 on: 03 Nov 2011, 18:30 »

In terms of being a therapist my greatest weakness is to occasionally forget my inherent priviledge as a cisgendered, middle-class (albeit lower middle class but whatevs), white male in a Western country and, because of this, neglect to take wider cultural factors into account. This is something that I'm working on to improve, however.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #803 on: 03 Nov 2011, 23:14 »

I'd think that'd be more of a psychologist answer
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #804 on: 04 Nov 2011, 06:14 »

That answer probably won't do you any favors if you're applying to be, say, a lawyer.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #805 on: 04 Nov 2011, 08:05 »

If I were hiring someone, I'd far rather hire someone who was aware that their upbringing and culture make them more likely to default to their own position and overlook other people's, than someone who almost certainly does the same thing but doesn't realise it and therefore isn't trying to deal with it.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #806 on: 04 Nov 2011, 12:21 »

The first step in correcting a problem is acknowledging it. 

Good thing I don't have any problems...   :roll:

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #807 on: 04 Nov 2011, 16:57 »

That answer probably won't do you any favors if you're applying to be, say, a lawyer.
my biggest weakness is that sometimes I don't feel enough contempt for my fellow man

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #808 on: 04 Nov 2011, 19:45 »

So, I got my SAT scores through the mail today and- well its not bad, just not what I was expecting. I was expected to do best in mathmeatics, instead I am in the 97th percentile for writing. While this does not throw off my plans for studying biology, it certainly shakes things up.

I have been doing some extensive looking into the American University of Rome. I meet all the criteria and I can use my experience from being all over the place in ifferent cities and cultures in my statement/essay. If I do go there, I would study international government, though I do not have much direct experience, I keep up with foreign policy and I stay informed.

Now I need to convince my parents that Rome is safe. Also I need to do an interview with them sometime son. With any luck, I will be living in Europe next year. Which would be the greatest thing in the world for me. The United States does not really suit me. I have never been a fan of crn syrup, extreme patriotism, or the US political system. I feel that Eurpe will be a much healthier lace for me to live.
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #809 on: 04 Nov 2011, 23:47 »

I'm guessing you don't follow the news much...

Safe for now, sure.  But Italy's heading into a debt crisis that will make the upheavals in Greece look like a birthday party...

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #810 on: 05 Nov 2011, 10:22 »

Also, you might get framed for murder.  (Too soon?)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #811 on: 05 Nov 2011, 11:59 »

Yeah, well, there's always that, too. 

(never too soon)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #812 on: 05 Nov 2011, 13:50 »

Remember, being accused of murder doesn't mean you committed any crime.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #813 on: 05 Nov 2011, 14:09 »

Remember, being proclaimed innocent does not mean actually innocent.
More importantly, being proclaimed guilty does not mean actually guilty.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #814 on: 06 Nov 2011, 00:21 »

Remember, being accused of murder doesn't mean you committed any crime.
unless you belong to a minority

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #815 on: 06 Nov 2011, 01:22 »

Or you're quite attractive so it'd make a good story if you did it.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #816 on: 06 Nov 2011, 18:55 »

Hey so I'm going to take this down pretty soon so it's not searchable but I've been working on this application letter for a few days now for this Masters of Clinical Psychology course I'm applying for and I've never really written anything like this before so I need you dudes' advice. Have a read and let me know what you think because I really want to get in to this course.

Edit: Removed now. Thanks for the feedback guys. I've acted on all of your suggestions because they were all exactly the kind of things I was trying to fix but couldn't figure out exactly how to. I really, really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2011, 06:06 by Jimmy the Squid »
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #817 on: 06 Nov 2011, 19:28 »

Or you're quite attractive so it'd make a good story if you did it.
Well I'm set then

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #818 on: 06 Nov 2011, 19:32 »

Jimmy, I've PMed you a few edits.  Like I said in the message, your research goal is great, they'll lap it up! 

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #819 on: 07 Nov 2011, 06:11 »

Ok I've taken it out of my previous post now. Thanks for the feedback guys. I've acted on all of your suggestions because they were all exactly the kind of things I was trying to fix but couldn't figure out exactly how to. I really, really appreciate it.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #820 on: 19 Nov 2011, 08:10 »

After watching how the fans stormed the field in Ames after Iowa State's big upset, I got to thinking: anyone on here ever "rush the field/court" after a huge win by their school in whatever major sport they play?

I never really had the opportunity to do that when I was in school, because my alma mater was by far the favorite in practically every game we played in men's hoops.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #821 on: 19 Nov 2011, 08:36 »

I never had the opportunity to do that because the concept of educational institutions engaging in competitive inter-institutional sports is utterly alien to us.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #822 on: 19 Nov 2011, 08:46 »

My almae matres  (undergrad and grad) were the state of Indiana's major college rivals - Purdue and Indiana.  I actually put my Purdue ring away for the years I was at IU, I got accosted (verbally) the first few times I taught as a grad student at IU.  

And I never went to a single game at either school.  I won't say that I hate sports, but I'm no fan.  Of anything, college or professional.  I love watching some of the individual sports at the olympics, especially the winter games, but that's about it.  I went to the local high school football games only because my daughters were in the band, and I wanted to see the halftime shows.  I usually worked concessions anyway (for the band parents organization).  

So no, I never rushed a field/court, although I hear there were some opportunities to.  But I also know my opiion of sports is a real minority.  Sometimes it feels like a minority of one...

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #823 on: 19 Nov 2011, 10:53 »

The closest I ever came to rushing the court was when Notre Dame upset the (then #1 NC Tarheels) 60-58 in basketball. The first time we took the lead was during the last minute. Rolls of toilet paper flying thru the air like serpentine. The refs called a technical foul on the bench with the predictable reaction from the crowd. The freshmen started a frigging food fight in the cafeteria after the game. Come on? You're outta kindergarten, right? Part of the blame should go to the athletics department. They were really winding up the crowd before the game. Like showing videos of earlier upsets (IIRC UCLA's 3-year-old winning streak was snapped at ND?).

Football? There were some emotional wins, but they were early enough in the season not to provoke a strong reaction. The graduate students's section was in the low rows near the endzone (grumble, grumble). Our theory was that they intentionally placed the inert graduate student body there to slow down the freshmen behind us, who were probably most prone to storm the field. When a post-game party was due the team would gather in that end zone to thank the crowd for the support, and then we would reach out to hi-five with them, but nothing more.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #824 on: 19 Nov 2011, 19:35 »

I and others rushed the field when my high school team won their aussie rules foot games against the 'traditional rival' school from down the road.

Of course, I'm talking about a crowd of 100 tops and the metal tables being the closest thing to stands.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #825 on: 19 Nov 2011, 21:06 »

Funny this topic should come up, I just rushed the field in my school's last home game of the season. It was fun, but I didn't really have a friend to do it with.
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #826 on: 20 Nov 2011, 00:15 »

Sometimes it feels like a minority of one...
I'm at least one other... Large men chasing small balls left me entirely cold when I was at uni, and still do now.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #827 on: 20 Nov 2011, 00:25 »

I managed the significant achievement of arriving at secondary school already officially "off games"; this meant that even when I was better, I had avoided getting drawn into the system, which suited me perfectly, and consolidated my life-long lack of interest in all such unproductive and futile antics.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #828 on: 20 Nov 2011, 00:41 »

Sometimes it feels like a minority of one...
I'm at least one other... Large men chasing small balls left me entirely cold when I was at uni, and still do now.

I think that collegiate/school sports is a big thing only in the U.S.A. (possibly also in Canada and a few other places), so if your education took place elsewhere, it is hardly surprising that you are not interested. I was a sports fan to begin with, and I sorta got drawn into following NCAA sports (ok, mostly just football) during my grad school years. What may have played a role was that I hade very few friends during my first year, and, consequently, a lot of time to watch NFL/NCAA FB coverage on TV

Also my inner Sam the Eagle was well served by ignoring most of the pop culture, so I made an exception with sports. Do not try to beat my son in a "history of track & field" themed quiz.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #829 on: 20 Nov 2011, 01:25 »

You're right in that school sports aren't a huge thing in Europe, but we do have sport that isn't at school which people like to watch!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #830 on: 20 Nov 2011, 02:05 »

I think I'm gonna fail half of my classes this semester.
Fuck I'm bad at school.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #831 on: 22 Nov 2011, 04:10 »

Well this is it. I'm less than a week away from finishing my degree.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #832 on: 24 Nov 2011, 17:03 »

I'm in a technical college.  :mrgreen:

We're doing a virtual week thing this week, we have to sign in from home and log on to probably the worst designed forum I have ever seen. The college intranet is hard enough to navigate without adding in trying to communicate with it.
I've been told I have to have something in for the end of the week for all modules. This isn't a problem because it's lots of work, it's a problem because I'm ahead on work. There's only three things I'm able to do out of nine modules and that's because they were given this week. This is the first time the college has done something like this on this scale but I'm going to be considered a bad student because of their disorganization and disbelief a student can actually manage to hand in something before a deadline.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #833 on: 24 Nov 2011, 18:13 »

I forget if I mentioned it a month or so ago when it happened, but I dropped out of grad school.  Decided not to teach.  Thinking of going to law school in a year or two, though, any lawyers/law students who would advise against this?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #834 on: 24 Nov 2011, 20:10 »

studying law is easy, in Australia anyway. I've got some friends who are doing/have done their JD though and they thought it was alright.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #835 on: 24 Nov 2011, 20:47 »

Maybe I should move to Australia and study law.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #836 on: 24 Nov 2011, 22:18 »

I think I posted this at some point, but probably in a different thread...

My brother in law (one of them) was ABD for his doctorate in philosophy at St. John's in DC.  He'd taught for a while while studying, but quit that, and started doing some part time work for ... an environmental advocacy group, I forget which one. 

After a year or so, he was acting as a defacto paralegal for them.  They encouraged him, and he's left Philosophy and gone to law school.  He plans on doing advocacy whe he's done. 

Good luck, method.  He says it's not bad...

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #837 on: 24 Nov 2011, 22:49 »

Maybe I should move to Australia and study law.
You're from the states?

Aussie bachelors degrees are usually recognised in the US, but you'll still have to sit the bar exam or whatever your state imposes and that means a lot of extra learning after the degree. Of course, then you'll have a lesser degree than everybody else.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #838 on: 25 Nov 2011, 07:24 »

Yeah, I am, but if I studied law in Australia, I'd stay in Australia to practice it.

Also: thanks, Carl.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #839 on: 26 Nov 2011, 06:09 »

Dammit, missed the last day to withdraw from a class by a week. Now I'm gonna probably fail this class. Too bad I can't even be happy that I learned stuff from it.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #840 on: 26 Nov 2011, 07:14 »

Sure you can! 

Everything will look familiar when you re-take it...  and if you get the same instructor, so will all the exams...   :angel:

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #841 on: 26 Nov 2011, 07:33 »

I have a lot of work to do and I did get about three hours done this morning but I stopped for lunch at 1pm and now it's half past three and I'm still sitting in my pyjamas doing no work at all what is wrong with me

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #842 on: 26 Nov 2011, 08:01 »

Sure you can! 

Everything will look familiar when you re-take it...  and if you get the same instructor, so will all the exams...   :angel:

There have been no exams in the class! its an english class, college composition, and I have not actually learned anything about composition.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #843 on: 26 Nov 2011, 08:07 »

@Jace - sorry about that, my optimism fu isn't all-encompassing. 

@Barmymoo - I'm opting for burnout.  And then, you're posting here, and you'll check back later for replies like this one...

Stop that!  We'll miss you for a few days, but sometimes you just gotta let go... 

Get a shower and get dressed, you'll feel better and more invigorated.  It'll help for a few hours, at least! 

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #844 on: 26 Nov 2011, 08:30 »

Haha I did go and have a shower and get dressed, and then I worked for another hour. Now I'm getting ready to go for coffee with a friend, and I'll work again this evening hopefully.

I think you're right, it's burnout. It's week eight of eight, I have technically four more days but really nearly another week to go (stupid post-term lectures and superivisions). I'm getting sick of having to work all the time, and if I'm not working all the time I'm feeling guilty. Earlier in term I could do five hours of reading each day, two or three of lectures, and one or two of supervisions, and I'd have time to relax and not feel anxious about it. Now I'm probably not doing all that much more work but I'm stressed about it all the time.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #845 on: 27 Nov 2011, 04:38 »

Apparently I just had to settle into my groove, got a full page done (single spaced, so ~2 pages double spaced), things went better than expected.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #846 on: 07 Dec 2011, 02:09 »

UPDATE
Oh shit I have a final next week for history and I've also missed all of the tests and quizzes for the class. Maybe taking a class where I only had to go in once a week was a terrible idea.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #847 on: 07 Dec 2011, 22:47 »

American History I, which is from the colonization to the Civil War. It is a class I honestly could not care less about. I love history, but American history is so fucking boring because there's only like 200 years of it and you learn it at least 3 times before you even get into high school, so learning the same stuff again in college, hard to do.
I'm considering not even going to the final because I practically have a 0% in the class so what is the final gonna even matter. Same with my Critical Thinking class, I haven't even been to that class in like 2 weeks.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #848 on: 08 Dec 2011, 20:02 »

oh btw I now have an Honours Degree in Law

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #849 on: 09 Dec 2011, 00:41 »

Congratulations!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 50   Go Up