THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: University/College  (Read 435672 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: University/College
« Reply #1000 on: 17 Apr 2012, 06:12 »

I have a fairly good revision strategy sorted out. The problem is that I can't get motivated to actually do anything about it. I've done perhaps an hour's work so far today, which consisted mostly of learning something I should have covered months ago. I just don't seem to really care about these exams. I have two sort-of motivators for getting a good grade, but apparently they're insufficient. The main thing which motivates me to work is having other people around to work with, and handily a friend asked if I wanted to go work in a cafe with her in half an hour, so hopefully I'll get a couple of hours of solid work done then.

Ugh.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1001 on: 17 Apr 2012, 07:34 »

I have a fairly good revision strategy sorted out. The problem is that I can't get motivated to actually do anything about it.
That kind of motivation became a life-changing experience for me. Flunked out of the University of Michigan when I stopped going to too many classes and skipped exams. Enlisted in the Army, later went back to a tiny college, did well, and became a journalist instead of a physicist. But maybe I'm reading too much into this.

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #1002 on: 17 Apr 2012, 08:37 »

If I stick at it, I might actually finish my dissertation today :S This makes me feel pretty nervous. University is almost over.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1003 on: 17 Apr 2012, 09:23 »

Redball, I am hoping to go and do another degree to become a midwife, so I will probably be a lot more motivated for that since I can see an end point. The difficulty with this law degree is that yes, I'm interested in some stuff but not all of it and all I have to do to get onto the midwifery degree is pass this one. And I will definitely pass it. So I can't really force myself to work just to achieve an arbitrary figure on a piece of paper I'll not make much use of.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1004 on: 17 Apr 2012, 09:53 »

Understood. I overreacted; I have clear memories of a sinking feeling, even if it was 55 years ago.

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #1005 on: 17 Apr 2012, 10:28 »

May, every time I read you talking about university, I think to myself that you'd be excelling if you had gone to pretty much any other university in the country, so don't lose heart.

Also, I was right. I did finish my dissertation today. What the fuuuuuuuuck.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1006 on: 17 Apr 2012, 12:07 »

Awesome, good job! When is it due? Do you have to/get to bind it like a real book?

I think I'm doing pretty ok to be honest, I do very little work and I'm getting a 2.1 for most of the work I actually submit, and for my mock exams. I just am kind of done with this now.

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #1007 on: 17 Apr 2012, 12:21 »

It's due on monday. I think this is the first time I've ever completed work for uni early.
Nah, I don't get to bind it, which is a little sad. I have to just put it in a plastic wallet.

I know exactly how you feel about being done with it. I felt exactly that throughout my second year, and the beginning of this year. Now I'm actually finishing, I feel the complete opposite. I wish I could just keep on going with it.

2.1s is definitely doing okay! I tend to feel that anyone who does better than that is probably working too hard. But then, I have been coasting for most of my degree, so I'm not really good judge of what a sensible amount of work is.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1008 on: 17 Apr 2012, 12:34 »

do another degree to become a midwife,

When you are doing this and freaking out I will make a pun about having a midwife crisis.

In uni news, my english class is meeting in the library tomorrow and I don't know where that is.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #1009 on: 17 Apr 2012, 14:13 »

As a potential future librarian I am upset by this.

Also, isn't there a campus map?
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1010 on: 17 Apr 2012, 14:56 »

Probably?

I've never had to go to the library on campus. I have the internet, that has pretty much everything I could ever find in a library but faster.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1011 on: 17 Apr 2012, 19:37 »

When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #1012 on: 18 Apr 2012, 00:32 »

That just reminded me how much I wish the British Library was my library. Darn you.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1013 on: 18 Apr 2012, 01:03 »

I dare say the Bodleian would do, though.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1014 on: 18 Apr 2012, 09:34 »

After the picture thread, I'd really like to see someone at a ren faire with a digitized manuscript on their kindle  :-P :lol:

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #1015 on: 22 Apr 2012, 05:29 »

Probably?

I've never had to go to the library on campus. I have the internet, that has pretty much everything I could ever find in a library but faster.

I used to think like this - Google Books was a life saver in my first year. However, I actually like going to the library and some of the books there are impossible to find on the internet (ie - A Reader's Guide to TS Eliot or a whole book on "Hugh Selwyn Mauberley" - its amazing to find books on Pound's specific poems that aren't the Cantos)

Although, Cambridge Collections Online and JSTOR are amazing too. Use them literally every essay I ever write.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1016 on: 22 Apr 2012, 12:39 »

See, I don't really need books all that much. I'm majoring in math. If I want practice I can just google up some math problems. I think after this semester I won't have to take another english class or write any more essays hopefully.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1017 on: 22 Apr 2012, 15:16 »

:lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, Jace, you have no idea...

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1018 on: 22 Apr 2012, 16:08 »

Its cool, if I get tired of school just gonna stop going and go live in a forest for the rest of my life.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1019 on: 22 Apr 2012, 16:11 »

legitimately this first year actually makes me not want to go back next year but I don't have a job that can afford to pay off my debt and have enough to live so I'm just gonna keep on going and doing pretty poorly.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1020 on: 22 Apr 2012, 18:52 »

Granted I only took one math class in my entire career of college (it was all that was needed), but I never wrote an essay for math. I also never wrote any essays for science. It was everything else that required essays. Honestly I have no idea what math majors do other than solve math problems.

This post is pretty much completely useless.

I guess in college related news, I am a horrible student - lazy, procrastinate like crazy - but I do somehow manage to not fail at everything, even though I feel like I should. I am working on my thesis and I don't have 50 sources (I have around 40) and I don't even know what I want to say anymore. Well, I know what I want to say, but I don't know how to say it with words. I can say it with my art. I put a lot of research into it and want to do well, but UGH.

I hate writing so much. Freaking education side of this degree.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1021 on: 23 Apr 2012, 01:41 »

I am hoping that I have just started a new routine that will help me to work - getting up at the crack of dawn (6.30) to go to morning prayer at a local church. I got back at twenty to eight this morning, which meant that I was ready to work by ten to eight and I've already done an hour and a half. Now having a half hour break to catch up on emails and internetting, and eat biscuits since breakfast was so early.

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #1022 on: 23 Apr 2012, 04:49 »

I just handed in my dissertation! Aaaagh help me / help the world that will soon have me unleashed upon it.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1023 on: 23 Apr 2012, 10:56 »

Congrats!

I just saw my exam timetable (not sure if we're meant to have seen it yet, there's a link circulating to a comprehensive whole-uni timetable that looks like it's been dug out of the admin database, but it's legit) and my exams aren't too bad. Two together on the 29th and 30th of May, then three in a row 5th-7th June. I knew the bulk of them would be at the start of June but I was worried that I'd have one on its own on the 13th, which is the last day of term and therefore I'd miss out on doing anything fun that week. Now I have over a week off! Problem: my first exam is in just over a month. Eek.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1024 on: 23 Apr 2012, 14:16 »

The university, in its infinite wisdom and kindness, scheduled final exams for all four of the courses I teach on the same day.  Different times (thank god), but that is going to be one long fucking day. 

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1025 on: 23 Apr 2012, 14:24 »

Think positive.  That's three spare days you'll get.

(That you can do the marking on...)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1026 on: 23 Apr 2012, 14:32 »

I think that's the clearest reason I've ever seen that you're a moderator.   :-D

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1027 on: 23 Apr 2012, 18:43 »

When I was in college, professors would often give their exams on the last day of classes, and make the actual exam day studying time for other exams.  Have you considered doing that for two of your classes?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Papersatan

« Reply #1028 on: 23 Apr 2012, 21:45 »

This would always happen to me with all of my classes, making school just end early, but me have to do all my studying in less time. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1029 on: 24 Apr 2012, 08:37 »

Almost all of the classes related to my major did that. It's actually kind of annoying. Everyone always has big projects due the last week of class and on top of that, you have to take an exam. Sometimes you really just need to have things during exam week. But like the end of classes in the winter for me, I only had one actual class and we didn't have to meet during exam week, so I got a two week spring break, which was awesome and sorely needed. But this quarter, I need the extra week, but I don't get it. Ffff.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1030 on: 25 Apr 2012, 01:26 »

Did I tell you I got my exam timetable? Actually it's an unofficial copy circulating on the internet but it is legit, they just haven't printed the paper copies yet. My first exam is on May 29th. That seems really close. Oh dear.

IDMG

• Curry sauce
« Reply #1031 on: 25 Apr 2012, 01:36 »

Everytime I talk to an academic advisor at this godforsaken school, it makes me want to *tasteless reference to school shooting of some kind*.

They're so fucking stupid

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1032 on: 25 Apr 2012, 03:23 »

You gotta remember that, like the advisors in the Job Centre, academic advisors are generally working in that role because they couldn't get a better job. Why are you talking to them? I understand if it's a requirement, in which case take what they say with a pinch of salt, but if you're looking for advice on a particular career path I find Mr. Google is generally much more helpful.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1033 on: 25 Apr 2012, 08:38 »

Hmm...maybe I should try to become an academic adviser. I'd do a better job than the actual ones, and it'd probably give me more job satisfaction than what I do now. How does one do that?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1034 on: 25 Apr 2012, 12:14 »

Unfortunately, most schools use faculty. 

It's cheaper than getting actual advisors. 

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1035 on: 25 Apr 2012, 23:11 »

Which is why I couldn't even meet with my adviser last semester because she left the school by the time I was arriving to it.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1036 on: 26 Apr 2012, 01:30 »

Dear publisher of the book I am reading for Criminology,

If you are going to put the book onto googlebooks, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT MISS OUT TWO PAGES IN THE MIDDLE! Seriously. If I had known you would just not include pages 195 and 196, I might have tried to find a hard copy. Now I just have to try and guess what those pages might say. Argh.

BTW, it is not a "preview" if there are only two pages missing. It is a book with two pages missing.

IDMG

• Curry sauce
« Reply #1037 on: 26 Apr 2012, 01:39 »

You gotta remember that, like the advisors in the Job Centre, academic advisors are generally working in that role because they couldn't get a better job. Why are you talking to them? I understand if it's a requirement, in which case take what they say with a pinch of salt, but if you're looking for advice on a particular career path I find Mr. Google is generally much more helpful.

Was trying to figure out how to switch majors and let's just say UNLV's website designers are worse than their advisors.

Lupercal

« Reply #1038 on: 26 Apr 2012, 02:40 »

Dear publisher of the book I am reading for Criminology,

If you are going to put the book onto googlebooks, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT MISS OUT TWO PAGES IN THE MIDDLE! Seriously. If I had known you would just not include pages 195 and 196, I might have tried to find a hard copy. Now I just have to try and guess what those pages might say. Argh.

BTW, it is not a "preview" if there are only two pages missing. It is a book with two pages missing.

I do find this annoying, there are so many books that I've started to read sections of only to have vital pages missing - I suppose its something to do with copyright or how they were initially uploaded. I never think it's the author's fault, but that of the whole GBook app itself.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1039 on: 26 Apr 2012, 05:28 »

Do you mean at the same time, or just ever? Because this isn't a collaborative book or anything, it's what I was informed was a free e-book version of a textbook on prisons. I don't think I can be amongst the first three people to have ever read all but those two pages.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1040 on: 27 Apr 2012, 11:56 »

Which is why I couldn't even meet with my adviser last semester because she left the school by the time I was arriving to it.

They usually assign you to a new advisor when those things happen. 

I often wonder what happened to some of my former advisees...

Check with the Math department office. 

Watch it turn out that you were supposed to be one of my advisees when I got fired.   :psyduck:

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1041 on: 27 Apr 2012, 12:42 »

hahaha, did you work in Buffalo in the past year? This is only my first year of school. I took some time off between high school and uni.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1042 on: 28 Apr 2012, 14:35 »

Wait, you're SCA in Buffalo?  I never put the two together...

I'm one of the founding members of the Canton of Beau Fleuve back in '78, under the protection (?) of the Barony of Rhydderich Hael.  Went to high school at Canisius then SUNY Buffalo for a year before leaving for the midwest (for the next 15 years...)

Lord, I wonder if anyone's still there from those days...

Brother Martin, at your service.  If Morgan's still the baroness, ask about the chainmail hauberk I made for her. 

And no, haven't been back to Bflo in over 20 years. 

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1043 on: 28 Apr 2012, 15:49 »

Well, I am going to be up in the Canton of Beau Fleuve in June for their annual museum event day thing. I know there's one older guy in the Hael, Sir Calidus, but everyone else is in their mid 30s or younger. The only other one would be Aleister of Rome, but I'm not sure when he moved to the Buffalo area.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1044 on: 30 Apr 2012, 01:41 »

Our class is going to have an exhibition in a local place of all our work. Was meant to be the 11th of May but our tutor doesn't think we'll reach the deadline. She's right for the most part.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1045 on: 30 Apr 2012, 05:50 »

North American people, please explain to me the point of a class ring.

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #1046 on: 30 Apr 2012, 06:21 »

To be honest, some of us don't even know the point of it.  :-P

I guess it's for "commemorating" your school experience. You put fancy little emblems on it to signify the activities you were in and/or stuff you like. Some people wear theirs, others let them sit and collect dust. I thought the ones offered by my school(s) were ugly and knew they would just fall into the latter category so I never bought one.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Lupercal

« Reply #1047 on: 30 Apr 2012, 07:04 »

Re: mentees that refused to keep in contact with you, leaving you as a mentor to do nothing

Girl I used to mentor (we're both English Lit students) had this Facebook status:

"getting really sick of this lecturer making up words about moby dick now, if anyone knows what irradiate, expatiate or the settalogical chapters are please enlighten me :("

"metaphysical is another... thanks for the help but i think im screwed haha!!! xxx"

Part of me feels I failed her, part of me believes that she'd definitely make it on to Literally Unbelievable tumblr.

Lupercal

« Reply #1048 on: 30 Apr 2012, 07:05 »

Based on her further updates, this is what she gets for listening to lectures online instead of going to them in person.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1049 on: 30 Apr 2012, 08:04 »

I don't know what half those words mean either. But I don't believe I'd complain about it on facebook - I'd look them up in a dictionary! Why would going to the lectures in person help her understand? When ours are put online, they're just recordings of what the lecturer said anyway - but they only get recorded if they've been rescheduled to an unusual time.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 50   Go Up