THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: University/College  (Read 435574 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: University/College
« Reply #1250 on: 21 Jun 2012, 14:34 »

Argh. My results from this year don't come out until Saturday. I just looked at my results from two years ago (my first year results - remember I didn't ever make it to the exams last year so they're the only ones I've got so far) and I did appallingly. I don't think I ever actually looked at the indidivual marks before. On one paper I got 52%. The highest grade I got was 60%. 60% is the minimum for a 2.i. 50% is the minimum for a 2.ii. I just barely escaped getting a third that year.

And those grades will be the deciding factor on whether or not I can take the seminar course if it is over-subscribed.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1251 on: 22 Jun 2012, 13:47 »

I'm writing the conclusions section of the experiment I'm doing for my internship. Even though I have a couple of interesting results to examine, the whole thing is can actually be summed up quite nicely as "We don't know ANYTHINGGGGGG." Because, in this field of neuroscience, when you really need to know something for sure, you need to cut someone's head open and inject drugs directly in the spot you think it'll have an effect. Whereas I'm electrifying people's heads and seeing if that has an effect on their visual short-term memory. Which is actually a pretty exciting experiment, considering what the other people in my bachelor's are doing. Well, exciting for me; I'm sure the rest of my fellow students are just as invested in their project as I am.

Quick example: We know that electrical stimulation has an effect on glutamate concentration (a neurotransmitter), and we know that glutamate concentration correlates with memory capacity. So we do an experiment that tries to influence memory capacity with electrical stimulation. However, we do not actually know if the effect on glutamate concentration is large enough to affect memory capacity, nor do we know if it is actually possible to affect memory capacity by manipulating glutamate concentration. On top of that, we also don't know if there's a third variable that affects both memory capacity and glutamate concentration. If there is, all of the above information is irrelevant. Science: An extremely elaborate way to discover what you don't know.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1252 on: 22 Jun 2012, 19:36 »

Vaguely connected and kinda interesting: My husband's boss had a 'heart event' back in like March/April, and they just figured out what caused it - and all the other things he's had going on for years. Apparently it's some sort of lupus (I think, DH was calling it Loomis at first, which is the last name of somebody from our high school) that causes migraines (check), depression (check), mood swings (check), and tends to culminate in a lethal heart aneurysm (almost check) and/or blood clots (without the drugs he's now on - check). So now he has to take blood thinners for the rest of his life to prevent a heart attack or stroke, but since it explains all the other things he's had, they can treat them better, like his apparent depression and bipolar disorder, which will hopefully help keep him from deciding to stop taking his meds (now including the lifesaving blood thinner) and run off to sit in a swamp and watch planes take off, like he has in the past.

Also, even less connected and really more depressing than interesting to be honest: About a month ago NPR did a story about how organ transplant lists are done, and they featured a 26-year-old girl named Ashley Dias who had cystic fibrosis and was waiting for a lung transplant through the Cleveland, Ohio transplant list. She was very small (under 100lb) so it was hard to find lungs that would fit in her body. My friend from college has a 26-year-old sister named Ashley Drew with cystic fibrosis who was waiting for a lung transplant through the Cleveland, Ohio and Boston, Massachusetts transplant lists. She's very small (under 100lb) so it's been hard to find lungs that would fit in her body. My friend's sister got a transplant through the Boston list on June 9th. The other Ashley died on June 14th. This keeps coming back to my mind - and it could only be worse if the had gotten them through Cleveland, being so absolutely aware that not one but two people had died (the donor and the person who didn't get the lungs) so one person could live.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1253 on: 22 Jun 2012, 22:48 »

Transplants...

We went to a baseball game this eveing, a promotional visit for Make-A-Wish (my daughter, a cancer "survivor", is articulate and pretty, and so she's very popular with the foundation, they like to have her at events for the press). 

Make-A-Wish had the picnic part of the ballpark reserved for all the kids and their families.  We met some amazing people, including 3 year old Savannah.  Savannah was born without functioning kidneys.  They had to wait till she was about two and large enough to survive the surgery.  Her gram was a perfect match and donated one of hers. 

Now, fitting an adult kidney into a small-for-a-two-year-old's body is apparantly quite a trick.  She likes to lift her shirt and show off her scars.  It looks like the aftermath of a careful autopsy - stem to stern, large flaps to each side.  But it worked.  Her torso's oddly proportioned, to say the least, but she'll grow "into" her kidney.  She may need further surgeries as she grows, but probably not.  She's bright, speaks clearly, can read a little, an draws a mean bunny rabbit. 

She's also afraid of mascot types, large costume suits, especially furry ones.  So they're putting off their Disney trip for another year to see if she grows out of it.  Wouldn't do to have her be cowering away from Mickey...

Sorry, what were we talking about? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1254 on: 23 Jun 2012, 02:11 »

We were talking about how everyone should go make sure that they're on the organ donor register, right now. Off you go.

Edit to add later: Just got my marks back from this year's exams. I got a 2.i, with three papers with solid 2.i percentages and two papers with low-ish 2.ii percentages which brought the whole thing down a bit. I'm happy with it, especially since I got 65% (my highest mark - 70% would be a first) on International, which you might remember is the one I have been struggling with this year, with a supervisor who predicted me a 2.ii.
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2012, 04:50 by Barmymoo »
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1255 on: 23 Jun 2012, 07:56 »

Could someone explain (cocisely) to a confused american academic what all the 2.i stuff means?  Or point me somewhere that does so? 

I mean, I'm glad you're happy with your grades, but I've no idea what any of this 2.i, 2.ii, stuff means.  What are the possible grades in this system? 

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1256 on: 23 Jun 2012, 09:56 »

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1257 on: 23 Jun 2012, 10:38 »

The way it works here is that each paper is marked out of 200 and then converted into a percentage. 40% is a third (the lowest honours grade - below that you can only graduate with an Ordinary, which isn't really worth having), 50% a 2.ii, 60% a 2.i and 70% a 1st. 80% or above can get you a starred first, if the examiners all agree you merit it. I don't think anyone has got a starred 1st in law for years. Over 75% is very rare, and most people aim for a 2.i as a good grade. The marking conventions document makes a point of stating that getting close to the grade boundary is a "neutral" mark, which doesn't mean you weren't deemed worthy of the next class.

As that Wikipedia page points out, Cambridge doesn't give you an overall degree class. So far I have received a low 2.ii and a low 2.i, so next year I'm hoping for a low 1st! Well, at least an improvement on 60%.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #1258 on: 25 Jun 2012, 00:05 »

I hope you get it! What was weird this year was that although I was less than two percent from getting a first (my final overall mark was 68.1 and my third year mark was a low first), that actually works out to something like 14 marks from the next grade. So I was happy to get closure on the fact that a first was almost impossible if someone re-marked my exams this year.

I moved up half a grade this year, which I was really pleased about. Last year all my modules were 50% exams, which ended up ranging from mid-2.ii's to low firsts, and overall I ended up with a 65. This year, with two modules being 100% coursework and only having two exams, I ended up with a 71. Sometimes I think that exams in English are just completely pointless, and I would've obviously done a lot better sans examinations.

I await the long dark of graduate jobhunting...

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1259 on: 27 Jun 2012, 02:45 »

Clocking in at 9 minutes 21 seconds for the first practice of my ten-minute thesis presentation. Fingers crossed!
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1260 on: 27 Jun 2012, 07:54 »

Ten minutes?

Christ, my defense lasted three hours...

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1261 on: 27 Jun 2012, 07:57 »

It's only a bachelor's thesis, and my supervisor says I should expand it to fifteen minutes, which also leaves room for discussion. I couldn't fill three hours talking about one experiment if I wanted to!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1262 on: 27 Jun 2012, 08:46 »

Mine probably spanned about 30 minutes over several different periods. Mostly because I had to keep going last and nobody would ask any questions. I honestly found it kind of annoying.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1263 on: 27 Jun 2012, 09:53 »

Looking at abroad programs my university offers. Anyone have any country or school suggestions?

If it helps, I am majoring in biology
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1264 on: 28 Jun 2012, 13:26 »

a third (the lowest honours grade

It used to be simply first/second/third/fourth, and still was at Oxford when I took my degree (so my 2nd is what is now called a 2i).  They changed third and fourth to 2ii and 3 to make them seem less bad, I guess.  And what you called an "ordinary" degree I call a "pass" degree - i.e. pass but no honours at all.

The effect of papers on grades can be more complex than simple cumulative percentages. My son's music degree (Cambridge) had high enough marks for a first - but one single paper (he'd felt poorly that day, he says) was graded 2ii, so he was prevented from being given a first by another rule.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1265 on: 03 Jul 2012, 16:08 »

We were talking about how everyone should go make sure that they're on the organ donor register, right now. Off you go.
I forget if we already talked about this in Discuss, but I hate that being an organ donor is not mandatory, or at the very least, opt-out instead of opt-in.  If you are dead and therefore not using your organs, you have no business denying them from someone who needs them.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1266 on: 06 Jul 2012, 10:20 »

Not as simple as it sounds...  most organs need to be in working order, which means you need the donor to be "brain dead", but still functional in most other ways.  When a family makes the decision to switch off life support for a donor, a transplant team moves in immediately.  Accident victims who are kept on CPR until their arrival at the hospital (DOA) are also candidates, so long as things are't too damaged.  Which is why it's on your driver's license in the US. 

Also, cancer survivors, those living with HIV, and others are not allowed to be donors, and some religions don't allow it (bodies eed to be intact).  With all these restrictios, opt-in works better. 

And thank you, Randall Munroe. 

{{alt text: Dad, where is Grandpa right now?}}

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1267 on: 06 Jul 2012, 11:04 »

I will never accept that the religion of a dead person trumps the life of a living person.  I know that doesn't matter, I know that it probably will never become mandatory, but I will never accept that.

I forgot about that xkcd, Randall Munroe said it better than I could ever dream of saying it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1268 on: 06 Jul 2012, 11:38 »

In reality it's not the religion of the dead person but that of the live survivors - at least if there are no clear or available instructions.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1269 on: 06 Jul 2012, 12:55 »

People think the afterlife cares about what happens to your mortal form? What is this, ancient Egypt?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1270 on: 06 Jul 2012, 12:57 »

It's another time and place with humans in, yes.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1271 on: 06 Jul 2012, 14:10 »

Humans that will die because people want their relatives' corpses to look nice.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1272 on: 06 Jul 2012, 16:47 »

I mean, I disagree with it too, but we have no right to take someone's organs if they specifically said for whatever purpose they don't want them taken. It's their body. Some people have spiritual beliefs that differ than ours about the body and it should be respected. I mean, a body is a body and once I'm dead, I'll have no use for it. I also strongly disagree with not cremating bodies, but I'm not going to tell people that they have to cremate their son, wife, father, or loved one. People can have a hard time letting go of the people they love, and that can include all parts.

Personally I am an organ donor, they can take whatever they want and then cremate me and bury my ashes beneath a tree. I don't need my organs, let alone a decomposing shell, and I want people to remember me how I looked when I was alive. I don't even go up to caskets anymore because of the same reason. Looking at my grandpa's body bothered me for the longest time, so I just don't do it anymore and I don't want people to do the same for me.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1273 on: 06 Jul 2012, 19:00 »

I understand that viewing the body provides closure, an opportunity to witness to the end of a life. My wife didn't want that; she was cremated without embalming, and if my daughter consents, I'll go that way too. Clara wanted her ashes spread in the ivy below our pool, and with music: Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man. I'm not concerned with the act -- I emceed the memorial service six days after she died. But organizing the party that surrounds it is daunting. I'm dithering, and if I don't get going, it'll be fall. And yes, my organs can be donated. I'm on the fence about donating my body, even with the understanding that the ashes are eventually returned to my family.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1274 on: 07 Jul 2012, 01:36 »

The fact is that the number of people who are not on the organ donor register for religious reasons is far lower than the number who are not on the register for reasons of apathy, squeamishness or general ignorance. I'd rather tackle those people first.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1275 on: 07 Jul 2012, 08:00 »

I'll line them up, you start tackling.    :-D

Back to University/college.  I just got fired yesterday with no warning from an online school for "not meeting deadlines".  I taught for them twice in the last six months, a grad course (intro to stats for psych grad students) and got rave reviews from my students.  Yes, I lost two weeks of grading time when I got hit by a virus this session, and I told my supervisor.  I also got behind last time because I got hit by a car.  In both cases, I caught up before the course ended. 

I dunno who I pissed off...

So on that note, anyone in here ever take courses online?

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1276 on: 07 Jul 2012, 08:23 »

I was in a video game design program (Bachelor's of Science with a focus in Game Art and Design) at an online school (Westwood. Way overpriced for what you get!). Most expensive, and frankly, useless courses I've ever taken. I understand it was an 'accelerated' program (in that they cram a semester's coursework into something like 10 weeks), but I felt that it just wasn't in-depth enough in anything that we were supposed to be learning - it felt like he touched on the highlights of the subject (often without enough explanation), and then we were shuffled off to the next course load.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #1277 on: 09 Jul 2012, 07:21 »

I took two courses online- Art Criticism and Intermediate French II. Art crit was a total joke for me because I was one of two art students in the course, so the professor hung on my every word. I don't even think she read everything I handed in, she just stuck an A on it and called it a day. Didn't help that I learned absolutely everything they were teaching in high school and/or my intro art ed classes and I took the course right before student teaching. It was fun to talk about art, but I definitely didn't learn anything.

French was TOUGH. I'm fairly well versed in the language (studied it for....4 years? I think), but it was an intensive 6 week summer class and there was always so much to do. We flew through a 50 page chapter a week. We had anywhere from 10-12 homework assignments per week. Everything from recorded responses and forum discussions to current event synopses and essays (on top of all the exercises in the book). Our weekly "quizzes" took about 3 hours to complete. We also read a short novel through the course and had to write responses to that in addition to our other homework. The professor was really helpful, online all the time and responded to a lot of our forum discussions, so I think that helped a LOT. By the end of those 6 weeks, I actually started thinking in French.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1278 on: 01 Nov 2012, 07:59 »

I wonder if my Matlab programming instructor will mind that I entered my student number in prime factors on my assignments.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1279 on: 01 Nov 2012, 08:09 »

Depends.  Is he in Math, or CS? 

The difference is between amused and annoyed. 

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1280 on: 01 Nov 2012, 08:22 »

I have had 3 online courses, all education related, and I honestly do not like them.

The first one was supposed to be about learners with special needs and how teachers can help them. First off, it was only about students with learning disabilities and nothing was mentioned about how to deal with students who have physical handicaps. Also because of the book and assignments, I learned virtually nothing in that class. Not a single assignment made me do more than copy/paste from stuff we were supposed to read. There was no challenge whatsoever and honestly barely even related to art education. I felt like it was a waste of my time.

The second one was highly repetitive of stuff I'd already learned, so while I enjoyed the content, it was redundant. It was also super easy because it was during the summer and the teacher had a baby in the middle of the course, so she had to make it easier on herself so she could grade everything. So while I liked it, learning was low.

The one I'm in right now has interesting content, but again, a large portion of it is redundant. It's about multi-cultural education, which while I understand not a lot of education programs teach about this, the art education department is ALL ABOUT multicultural education. It's not only a part of what I've been learning, it's already incorporated into how I teach. Also this class is FULL of busy work and they're due on multiple days throughout the week and in such a way that you can't do everything in advance. It's annoying. I can't work at a pace I'm comfortable with, unlike other classes that only meet once a week. I mean, I'm learning a considerable amount, but I really just hate the format and feel like I would learn SO much more if this class met in person. Also it would do away with busy work, which I absolutely hate. This isn't high school, this is grad school, I think we're beyond busy work, especially since it's pretty much proven to do nothing to improve learning.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1281 on: 01 Nov 2012, 09:00 »

That is frustrating - busy work drives me mad and generally I just don't have to do it any more (I object strenuously to the fact that I have to do a whole busy-work course in order to graduate with a qualifying law degree; I'm tempted just not to do the final module and thereby guarantee I'll never be a lawyer). Does it help to look at the course as simply hoop-jumping to get a certificate that evidences what you already know?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1282 on: 01 Nov 2012, 09:07 »

Depends.  Is he in Math, or CS? 

The difference is between amused and annoyed. 
Neither. He's in computational neuroscience. What do you make of that?

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1283 on: 01 Nov 2012, 09:16 »

Definitely annoyed. 

But also a little intrigued. 

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1284 on: 01 Nov 2012, 09:39 »

Does it help to look at the course as simply hoop-jumping to get a certificate that evidences what you already know?

This is my last semester and I only have a month and half until I graduate. I am definitely jumping through hoops to get to my degree, but I honestly am finding it hard to care about how sloppily I'm doing it. I was really burnt out once I finished my thesis and I am so used to quarters, I feel like I should be done by now. (Quarters were 10 weeks. It's week 10 of the semester and I have 4-5 weeks of class left, ugh.) 2/4 of the classes I'm taking I NEED to graduate and the online class is one of them. Mostly I'm just frustrated they ONLY offered it as an online class while others are usually offered as both. (The education dept. is very large and also does quite a bit of distance learning, so most education classes [not art ed, we're a separate but connected entity] are offered online in addition to being taught in classrooms. They are also almost always offered every semester, including summer.)

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1285 on: 20 Dec 2012, 14:53 »

I need a C in english to transfer to university. I don't really know what I am doing for this final paper. If I don't turn in the final I fail the course and will have to take it for a 3rd time. Maybe I just don't need to go to a university.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1286 on: 20 Dec 2012, 15:29 »

What's your english class' focus? Or do you get to write about anything?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1287 on: 20 Dec 2012, 16:16 »

I'm applying to law school, hoping to get into Northeastern in Boston.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1288 on: 20 Dec 2012, 16:26 »

What's your english class' focus? Or do you get to write about anything?

Literature, as such I am writing about the film Glory (1989) which we watched in class. It was the most literature-light literature course I've ever been in.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1289 on: 17 Mar 2013, 15:38 »

I'm having a bit of a nightmare with the bibliography for my dissertation. I've never had to make one before and I have no idea how to do it. All the free software I can find either doesn't integrate with Scrivener, which is what I'm using to write, or is confusing and complicated and I can't get it to work. Help!

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1290 on: 17 Mar 2013, 16:24 »

What format do you have to use?

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1291 on: 17 Mar 2013, 16:27 »

I know next to nothing about the subject, but Googling around Scrivener and bibliography turned up an app called Zotero with some favorable comments. I didn't get any impression of learning curve. My experience with bibliography never went past 3 x 5 cards.

I've wondered what had happened to you. I've missed your smiling face and incisors ... um, your incisive observations.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2013, 19:00 by Redball »

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1292 on: 17 Mar 2013, 16:46 »

This blog post talks about using just Scrivener for bibliographies and she's basically in love with it. I've only used Scrivener for NaNo noveling so I'm not familiar with all of its functions but maybe it will have some useful ideas?
Here are some people talking about using Scrivener with Zotero and Bookends bibliography manager programs.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2013, 16:52 by bainidhe_dub »

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1293 on: 18 Mar 2013, 01:01 »

Can we assume the panic isn't about bibloigraphing in general? 

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1294 on: 18 Mar 2013, 03:32 »

We don't have to use any particular format at all, but I think I am going to be using Harvard style, except with the Author Name (date) in footnotes instead of the text. The footnotes are included in the word count, the bibliography is not, so this makes most sense to me.

I've downloaded Zotero but I can't figure out how to use the damn thing. I'm also overwhelmed by the fact that I already have fifty+ references to input. Bookends looked amazing but sadly it's Mac only as far as I can tell, and I'm on a PC.

My conclusion at the moment is that I'll just have to make the bibliography manually (as in, copy the references from the Scrivener index cards for the file into a document and then alphabetise them) which will work, but I was wondering if anyone has any magical ideas about how to make this less soul-destroyingly boring.

(Bob, I'm taking a bit of a break from the QC forum - I still come on most days and lurk a bit but I'm not posting as much at the moment.)

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1295 on: 18 Mar 2013, 07:05 »

Can you hire someone to do it for you, or to tutor you?

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #1296 on: 18 Mar 2013, 07:51 »

I've never used anything to manage my citations other than eazybib.com, but for software  A lot of people I know use Endnote and have had nice things to say.  The main problem is it is not free, or even cheap ($113 student price).  The reason people I know use it is the man who invented it is a professor at my school, so students can get it installed on their laptops for free.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1297 on: 18 Mar 2013, 10:34 »

Does the university have a thesis/dissertation service?  They may have recommendations or people (or even some proprietary software) that can help. 

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1298 on: 18 Mar 2013, 10:47 »

Can it be on line, files sent, prepared, returned?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1299 on: 18 Mar 2013, 18:45 »

Being a psych student, I always used APA style for citations. Of course, that was back when I used my word processor to print up my papers, one page at a time.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 50   Go Up