THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 04:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: University/College  (Read 442309 times)

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Re: University/College
« Reply #1300 on: 18 Mar 2013, 19:50 »

I had a class with the professor who made Endnote.  The only assignments were two research papers and he offered us little to go on about his expectations.  One student asked about his preferred citation style, because she was intimidated by his past and was worried we would be graded on formatting.  He laughed and said he couldn't care less.  I guess people always assume he came up with his invention because he was a stickler for citations, but it was quite the opposite; he made the software because he thought reformatting citations to meet the standards of some journal was a wast of time. 

I always use MLA because my background is in English.  I think in grad school though every professor has told me they don't care how we cite  as long as we are citing when we need to.  I think the domain of "information science" doesn't have a preferred method, so it is just assumed you will worry about a format if/when you try to submit it somewhere.

On submission standards, I had a professor tell me recently she has a friend who worked for the NSF and her main job was measuring the margins on research proposals.  If your margins were not exactly as specified in the submission guidelines your proposal was just thrown away. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1301 on: 19 Mar 2013, 01:59 »

Goodness, I'm glad we haven't got specifications like that. I've decided to go with a modified Vancouver style (apparently more usually used for medical papers but never mind), except that I can't present a numerically-ordered reference list; the one specification for format is that the bibliography must be alphabetical by author's surname.

And I think I'll just do it by hand, it's only a 12,000 word dissertation so it won't have thousands of citations.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1302 on: 19 Mar 2013, 21:59 »

How do you tell someone you're tutoring that there's no way in hell they're going to make it through the course? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #1303 on: 20 Mar 2013, 00:19 »

very directly. I've had to do this once or twice.

I laid out two choices, either they would have to spend at least 3 hours a day on the subject, every day, in earnest study, or they should drop the course.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #1304 on: 20 Mar 2013, 02:13 »

My history professor might actually hate us... we've had back to back papers for the last two months (5-6 pages, not much but a pain when it's cited material) and apparently we've supposed to have been doing a research paper on top of that...
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #1305 on: 20 Mar 2013, 11:29 »

I'm kinda at a loss about what to do when I finish my BA this spring.

On one side, I have good enough grades to get into all of the available Comp Sci master courses. I could also go to other places in the country - there's a research laboratory (Simula, named after Simula), which offers masters programs. And I really like Computer Science, I really do, so I could definitely do my MA, and do well, and do some interesting work.

It's just that I'm skipping lectures pretty badly now, simply because I don't want to go. I'm probably gonna have to skip a course completely (I have a buffer of one course more than what's normal already done, so it'll not hurt my BA completion time, or my grades, if I just drop it), and I'm not really that motivated to do my assignments. I'm spending half of the time I should be spending working on school stuff playing games or watching youtube videos or generally being lazy, and the other half making this cute little game in Unity.

It probably comes down to that my real motivation all along has been programming games. It's really fun to program and make stuff work - but I want to make games work, not just any piece of software. I wanna work with games, and people who are passionate about games. I'm sitting on most of the skill set I need to be able to do that, and there's not really any masters programs that gets me closer to that. I should probably still take a masters - it'll look good no matter what I end up doing, and I'll get some extended insight into some interesting field, but I'm really unsure if I'll be able to pick up the motivation required.

I'll have to apply shortly, and I'm really not sure what to do. :(
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1306 on: 20 Mar 2013, 15:05 »

I don't know much about the games industry, but you don't have to apply right now for grad school... a year or so to figure out what you want to do isn't unusual, soo long as you keep your skill set fresh. 

Have you looked into finding a job with a gaming company that may help pay for your grad degree while you work there? 

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #1307 on: 20 Mar 2013, 17:32 »

Problem is, there isn't many big companies here in Norway - there's a ton of small indies, so I might apply to some, but those usually cannot hire until they've gotten something shipped, and there's not many that's done that quite yet.

The alternative is moving to the states, and if I want to pull something like that, I'll need a more impressive resume first.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1308 on: 20 Mar 2013, 19:52 »

I'm applying to law school, hoping to get into Northeastern in Boston.
So when I took the LSATs I didn't do that well (not bad, but not great) because I didn't study. I'm studying now to retake in June, which means I won't start law school until fall 2014. Anyone here a lawyer/law student? I thought I remember Barmy mentioning that, but I could be wrong.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

MisterHeal

• Not quite a lurker
  • I...What?
« Reply #1309 on: 21 Mar 2013, 16:17 »

@Snalin Often times, Video Game Companies aren't looking for fresh grads, they generally only higher people who already have programming experince in another programming field. Thats generally how it works if you apply for a big company. Often times you can get into a startup, but a lot of times you wont get paid because its a startup.

I'm getting a degree in Computer Science, and I really don't know if i Iwant to get a Masters either but I do know I want to try and do my own startup. I've been convinced the best time to start your own business is when you don't have a house to pay down, or a family depending on a steady income. If you can live in your parents basement (And be movitated) you could make a cute little company for yourself, then you can higher fresh grads.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
-Winston Churchill

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1310 on: 22 Mar 2013, 15:54 »

I am a law student, but caveat: I'm a law student in the UK, which is a totally different thing. I'm doing a BA in Law, and I am currently only doing one paper which would look like law to an American law school (and that's on the law of the European Union, not exactly relevant in the US!). However, if I can be of any use I'm happy to answer questions. We don't have LSATs here though. I'm not sure what those are.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1311 on: 22 Mar 2013, 18:59 »

The standardized test you take to get into law school.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1312 on: 23 Mar 2013, 08:58 »

Law School Admission Test

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1313 on: 23 Mar 2013, 19:14 »

Yep. And I haven't studied that much this week, should get better habits starting next week.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1314 on: 25 Apr 2013, 21:44 »

Holy crap, one of the schools that accepted me just sent me another offer...this time for a full ride. Free tuition for all three years, with no stipulation other than good academic standing. Looks like I'm going back to school this fall after all!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #1315 on: 25 Apr 2013, 21:55 »

Congratulations!
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #1316 on: 26 Apr 2013, 00:21 »

Congrats MoM!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #1317 on: 26 Apr 2013, 00:42 »

Wow that sounds great, congratulations.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1318 on: 26 Apr 2013, 04:22 »

Thanks, guys!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #1319 on: 27 Apr 2013, 02:27 »

Holy crap, one of the schools that accepted me just sent me another offer...this time for a full ride.
Yay! Congratulations!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1320 on: 27 Apr 2013, 05:31 »

Good work! Can you tell us what school and what program?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1321 on: 27 Apr 2013, 06:18 »

Absolutely! University of New Hampshire's law school, gonna be starting in August.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1322 on: 27 Apr 2013, 16:10 »

So you'll be living (or already do?) relatively close to Jeph?
While I'm at it, does Jeph still live in New Hampshire? I have no idea if he does, to be honest.

Either way, congratulations. :)

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1323 on: 27 Apr 2013, 16:32 »

Jeph's in Northampton MA, about a third of the way across the state east from the New York border.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1324 on: 27 Apr 2013, 16:36 »

Oh, right... I somehow thought it was New Hampshire. Well, nevermind then. Guess I got confused due to the 'hamp' in both names. I dunno.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1326 on: 27 Apr 2013, 17:44 »

Well I live in New Jersey, about 3-4 hours from Jeph. I'm moving to Concord, New Hampshire, which is about 2 hours from Jeph. So...a little closer.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1327 on: 24 May 2013, 06:22 »

I was planning to e-mail a professor of Lund University to ask about an internship opportunity on hypnosis, but looking at his past research I see some mentions of precognition and telepathy as well, which makes me somewhat wary. I would like to know more about hypnosis as a legitimate experimental method but I'm worried that the researchers involved in it are too much into those other way-out-there theories.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1328 on: 24 May 2013, 08:46 »

Check it out, there's still legitimate research into that stuff - most of it of the debunking nature, but still... Oh, and how old is he?  The research may have been done back when such stuff was trying hard to go mainstream. 

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1329 on: 25 May 2013, 16:24 »

It doesn't say how old he is but he doesn't look older than 40. The research itself could very well be entirely rigorous, but that doesn't really make me less prejudiced against the subject. I'll have to read up on it.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface
« Reply #1330 on: 29 May 2013, 23:52 »

Holy crap, one of the schools that accepted me just sent me another offer...this time for a full ride. Free tuition for all three years, with no stipulation other than good academic standing. Looks like I'm going back to school this fall after all!

That is so cool.  I want to go to law school and eventually work for the foreign service.  I just took a job with State Farm in Tempe, AZ to save up.  They do tuition reimbursement so I might try to get an MBA first through ASU.  I graduated with a Poly Sci degree last December, but my GPA wasn't great, B- (I switched majors and actually got near straight As my last year, though).  I reallyreally want to get into University of Washington's JD/MAIS(master of international studies) program where I would learn Chinese.  It sort of feels like a pipe dream right now, I am not sure how to go about it.  A career in insurance is not a bad one, but it just isn't what I want to do with my life, you know?  I am just starting and I am going to dive in full force, but dread finding myself here in middle age.  What kind of scholarship did you get, because that would be huge for me if I could land one of those.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1331 on: 30 May 2013, 07:24 »

It was a scholarship directly from the school, covering three years of tuition. University of New Hampshire School of Law, although I'm not sure I'd recommend it if you want to stay on the west coast.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #1332 on: 30 May 2013, 07:32 »

@Radical AC:  Welcome to Arizona.  We live in Chandler, and like living here. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1333 on: 03 Jun 2013, 08:43 »

Congrats MoM!

So I am going to have to make a decision this year and I'm looking for advice from mature and unbiased people:

My parents moved 2-3 months ago to a college town, much better than the one that I currently go to. After I complete my 2nd year of college, they want me to go to the university in the town they now live in. Nothing against this town or the school, it's actually very nice. But I don't want to have to switch schools AGAIN (I went to about 5 different school systems in  grade school).

I've made friends and connections at my school and I don't want to start over socially and perhaps professionally a little over halfway through my undergrad
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1334 on: 03 Jun 2013, 09:34 »

I'd visit the school and see what you think then.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1335 on: 03 Jun 2013, 14:47 »

I'd say your parents being in the same town as the university is a dealbreaker. University is part of moving into adulthood (not that everyone goes through it) like a dry run for living by yourself. I say be as far from your parents as you can be without them being inaccessible. Also changing midway through a degree is a lot more of a 'thing' than changing midway through school.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1336 on: 03 Jun 2013, 14:55 »

I'd disagree with both. I commuted from home to university, after intending on staying for a year and transferring far away, but stayed because I actually really liked the local university. Is it for everyone? No, but it's hardly a dealbreaker, especially if you can still dorm. As for transferring, the beginning of third year is actually a very common time to transfer, and as long as they have your program and don't fuck you on credits, it's probably not as big a deal as it could be.

Like I said, though, visit the school, talk to professors (and the students that are there for summer classes), and if you like it enough, go there. If not, stay where you are. You can really make either option work.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1337 on: 03 Jun 2013, 15:56 »

I am actually with Gareth on this one, but my relationship with my mother isn't exactly great, so I was quite glad to move away. Thus, I am biased.

I say check the school out and do what YOU want, not what THEY want you to want.

Discaimer: I have no experience with changing university whatsoever, particularly not in your education system.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1338 on: 03 Jun 2013, 16:13 »

I say check the school out and do what YOU want, not what THEY want you to want.
I think this is the most important part. I've never transferred, but I know plenty of people who did, and how well it works really depends on how cooperative the school is. So if you can talk to people who have transferred there, their advice is more valuable than anyone else's, probably.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1339 on: 03 Jun 2013, 16:18 »

Clarification: by "they" I originally meant the parents, but I realize that extends to others as well.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1340 on: 03 Jun 2013, 16:27 »

...as long as they have your program and don't fuck you on credits, it's probably not as big a deal as it could be.

Check this first.  It's an easy way to say "no" to your parents without it getting personal.  You'd be surprised how many credits you can lose by changing schools... I had a transfer student whose school had three 4 credit calculus courses.  Ours had four 3 credit courses.  They transferred his 3 courses, but at 3 credits each, so he lost 3 and had to retake the last course to get credit for the full sequence.  It was all stuff he'd already done, too.  Some schools have articulation agreements to avoid this kind of problem, but a lot of them don't!

The second school's admissions office should be able to tell you what will transfer and what won't. 

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #1341 on: 04 Jun 2013, 07:22 »

THIS, SO MUCH.

I transferred within the SUNY system and a lot of my credits transferred because of that but I knew plenty of people who weren't so lucky. And check out what your credits transfer as. I had taken 3 art history courses and 4 English courses at my first school but it turned out that I still hadn't met the art history OR English requirements for my second school. I had to take their prerequisite AH & ENG courses after I had taken multiple upper levels already. So bizarre.

But, as long as you don't get screwed on your credits, I wouldn't say that going to college in a town your parents live in is a deal breaker. Nothing says you have to live with them- dorms are awesome. If you can handle living with them and feel that they can respect your freedom, it could be a great way to save money. You can still keep in touch with your contacts via email/FB/linkedin and you could even meet up with them if it's not too far. Perhaps for professional development stuff? Can't remember if you mentioned what you are going for, but most fields generally offer conferences/workshops/etc. that may be a good way to maintain contact with the connections you've made thus far. And distance could hinder friendships, but only if you let it.  :-)

Hope this helps!!
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1342 on: 07 Jun 2013, 11:56 »

Thanks for the advice guys!
I'm actually going to graduate a year earlier than I thought if I do summer classes next year (I already have a semester from AP credits from highschool), which I probably will. Meaning if I did transfer, I would just have 1 year of undergrad left at my new school. And I would much rather graduate with people and friends I know, than classmates who I just met. So I'll be staying at my current university.

Also, age-old college question: How do you guys suggest I go about getting textbooks cheaper? I know there's Amazon and other websites, but I don't really want to risk all that money and get ripped off.

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #1343 on: 07 Jun 2013, 12:08 »

Check out campusbooks.com- they compare prices with all of the cheapy book sellers out there. I had the best luck with Alibris and AbeBooks when I had to buy textbooks. Also- check out the syllabus for the classes before you spring for the book. I had a few professors who listed numerous books for one class, but if you read the syllabus you'd see that they only referred to certain books once or twice in the whole semester. For those? Head to the library- either local or on campus. Some libraries will do an interlibrary loan if they don't have what you need but another one they can borrow from does.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1344 on: 07 Jun 2013, 12:39 »

Also, you should obviously consider using (legit) online sources whenever possible if you don't really need the book(s). What are you studying, if you don't mind me asking?

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1345 on: 08 Jun 2013, 14:26 »

Well, my major is chemistry. And I have two chem courses this semester (Organic chem and and Chem Analysis) But I also need books for intro to Anthropology, Personal finance, and Math

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1346 on: 08 Jun 2013, 14:45 »

Depending on what you are doing in Math, Khan Academy can be a great source.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1347 on: 08 Jun 2013, 21:53 »

Ugh. 

OK, some of his stuff is good, and he has great enthusiasm, but the first few things of his I saw were riddled with errors, sloppy notation and language, and ... just ugh. 

There is a lot of good stuff out there, though.  But Salman Khan is not all he's cracked up to be. 

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1348 on: 09 Jun 2013, 13:14 »

Got my first year results. They're slightly above average! Whoo!

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #1349 on: 23 Jun 2013, 13:17 »

Congratulations (:

I just got a letter from the Student Loans Company (ironic that they're based in Glasgow given Scottish nationals get free education).

I started paying back my student loan out of my paycheck in April. I thought this was a good thing - its only £12, but hey, that's £12 I'm paying back!

Turns out I'm hitting a (very secretive and unbeknownst to me until today) interest rate of roughly £26 a month on this loan. Which means I'm obviously not making a dent in this yet. Kind of have no idea what to do. I wanted to take a year out and live in New Zealand but now I'm thinking I should concentrate on getting a higher-salaried job to combat this ridiculous amount of debt I completely forgot about!

Still...I wouldn't trade the student experience for any other.

dr nervioso - Google Books has been a life-saver for me but then I took English so it's probably easier to find literature on GB than Chemistry textbooks. Still, give it a look. That and JSTOR.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 50   Go Up