THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 22:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: University/College  (Read 435804 times)

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Re: University/College
« Reply #350 on: 09 Jan 2010, 05:49 »

You have correctly described idiocy, which was not part of your exam question. 0%

Some say courage and stupidity can be the same thing.

cue many many examples on youtube

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #351 on: 15 Jan 2010, 16:09 »

Ever so often, I come across an article on my reading list and the name of the author rings a bell.

Then I google them and realise they are my lecturers.

When I say "ever so often", I mean at least once a week.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #352 on: 17 Jan 2010, 00:50 »

I once used my lecturer as my main source for an essay. They were ambivalent, mostly because they're one of the more prolific writers in taht area (Australian bill of rights)
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #353 on: 17 Jan 2010, 05:06 »

When I was at uni (shit I'm old!) my lecturer told me never to use one of your lecturers as a source for an essay, even if they're the best one. It looks like you're toadying up to them and any lecturer worth their salt won't like it. If they do like it then they're probably not a good lecturer.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #354 on: 17 Jan 2010, 05:28 »

The good thing for us is that in general, our lecturers are not the people who set and mark our essays. We have two generally separate systems: the university faculty organises lectures, and the lecturers are the top academics drawn from the colleges. Then the colleges organise supervisions, where our work is set. It's got good and bad points (I could go into more detail if anyone wanted me to but it would probably be quite boring).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #355 on: 17 Jan 2010, 05:54 »

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #356 on: 17 Jan 2010, 10:16 »

Turns out my programming project was due in on Friday. I was adamant it was due tomorrow. My maximum mark is now capped at 40%. I had an honest chance of getting a First.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #357 on: 17 Jan 2010, 10:19 »

That is so crap! Is there no chance at all they'll let you give it in tomorrow? Good luck!

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #358 on: 17 Jan 2010, 10:44 »

Well I'm gonna give it in tomorrow anyway, then email the prof. and see if he'll not cap me because I got muddled up and genuinely thought it was due in on Monday, not Friday. It was due last Monday but then the snow fucked everything up. If he decides he's still gonna cap me, then I'll try and get a resubmission for the end of semester 2 and see if I can get a decent mark out of this. Either way I want to drink all 3 bottles of wine I have in my house right now and cry all night because I'm an idiot.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #359 on: 17 Jan 2010, 10:56 »

Turns out my programming project was due in on Friday. I was adamant it was due tomorrow. My maximum mark is now capped at 40%. I had an honest chance of getting a First.

Sorry for making a joke at your expense, but this is great av/post synergy. Is there a programming class at the Xavier Institute for Higher Learning?
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2010, 10:59 by jhocking »

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #360 on: 17 Jan 2010, 13:40 »

Nah, just Forge. You don't need to learn programming when you are Forge.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #361 on: 17 Jan 2010, 15:05 »

:'( </3

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #362 on: 18 Jan 2010, 16:54 »

Oh hey I got a High Distinction for evidence law, which is great because I really thought I fucked up the exam by spending way too much time on one question and rushing through the ones that were worth more marks. Maybe I just gave the answers straight without the usual fucking around I usually do - it's mostly statute so there's not much debating to do.

Also, a distinction in Administrative law. That brings my GPA to a Credit, which was the aim. If I can finish over that I'll be delighted.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #363 on: 18 Jan 2010, 19:27 »

waiting for my third reference letter to arrive safe and sound at the schools i have applied to, i have contacted my professor like five times about this and now he's finally entered irritated "jesus tania will you just relax about it i promise i'll mail them out before the 31st" mode but i am still anxious because i want to get into these schools so bad and i really don't want him to forget. life is going to become so much easier if/when i finally get an acceptance and can just chill out, but the next couple of months are really going to suck. i have no patience, i really don't know how people can do this.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #364 on: 19 Jan 2010, 13:36 »

Accept that everything you can do about it is done and that worrying too much about it just makes you seem neurotic and unlikeable.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #365 on: 22 Jan 2010, 06:47 »

Wow I want to punch the guy sitting next to me. He is just way too keen. He also vocally agrees with everything the lecturer says. "mhm" "yeah" "yeah" "mhm". God fucking damnit.

Fuck Masters students. Nay, fuck Comp Sci Masters students. You are taking an undergraduate course. Get the fuck out of my undergraduate course.

This may be cross-posted to the vitriol thread.

Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #366 on: 22 Jan 2010, 06:53 »

Ugh there's a guy in a couple of my classes that does that, but he's not a Master's student. It's worse.

He's a mature student.

He's so irritating and almost always wrong.

Sidenote: 2/3 exams done, 1/2 courseworks done. Fuck python.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #367 on: 22 Jan 2010, 06:56 »

Fuck python.

I wish I could program in Python all the time (as opposed to barely ever.)

Also, I still haven't written the syllabus for the class I teach starting Monday. I should probably get on that.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #368 on: 22 Jan 2010, 07:01 »

Why? Python is horrible and it gets so angry whenever you get anything wrong. :(

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #369 on: 22 Jan 2010, 07:03 »

I only see any Python because Plone is written in it.  I have nothing against Python except that Plone is written in it.  Plone should not exist; any CMS in the world is better to work with than Plone (when I have a choice, I install Magnolia).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #370 on: 22 Jan 2010, 07:10 »

Python is the best. Plone is overly complicated.

But yeah, every chance I get I code in python. A pretty common joke around these here parts is 'import finishedAssignment'. Last semester that was actually an option (we had to build a web crawler) but then the professor was like 'no! do it from scratch'. There was grumbling.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #371 on: 22 Jan 2010, 07:16 »

I only see any Python because Plone is written in it.  I have nothing against Python except that Plone is written in it.  Plone should not exist; any CMS in the world is better to work with than Plone (when I have a choice, I install Magnolia).

Recently I had dinner with the guy who invented Django because a mutual friend was visiting town. I don't do backend programming so I didn't even know what Django is until some web developers I work with were kinda surprised that he lives around here.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #372 on: 22 Jan 2010, 09:55 »

Today is the first day of a new era in which I do all my supervision work in sufficient time.

To this end, I am going to start on my criminal work even though it is Friday night and I do not wish to.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #373 on: 22 Jan 2010, 10:14 »

In fact, to prove my point, I have just added a built-in function to Links that lets me execute python (well, it lets me execute any script, but it's intended to execute python).

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #374 on: 17 Feb 2010, 12:17 »

I am going to Salisbury to study Film Production and Cinematography! wheeeee
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #375 on: 17 Feb 2010, 14:12 »

Holy damn I passed neurobiology and immunology! Un-freaking-believable! Good thing too, otherwise it would look a bit weird to switch from biology to psychobiology.

Heh. Psychobiology sounds a lot different in English, doesn't it? What do you think people learn in psychobiology?

Embryology assignments tomorrow. Can anyone explain to me why those plastic anatomic models cost €500 and up?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #376 on: 17 Feb 2010, 17:38 »

IT IS TOO LATE TO BE WRITING AN ESSAY.

Why did I go to the cinema tonight? Why?! Why did I go to watch the winter olympics last night?

I've been telling myself that I did those things because hanging out with the team and destressing makes me more productive, but that's got less and less convincing as the night has gone on.

More toast and juice is called for. No coffee tonight or I'll never sleep at all.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #377 on: 26 Feb 2010, 13:17 »

Head of a human fetus, 46 weeks old. Embryology is fascinating, isn't it?
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #378 on: 26 Feb 2010, 13:21 »

Batman?
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #379 on: 01 Mar 2010, 03:11 »

Started again today. Going from my admin course of a whole six people last year to an accounting class of like a million people (probably more like 500) is really quite strange. I know that the big class is probably the norm for universities, but for me it was a huge shock; the biggest lecture I've been in before now was my first and that was only about 120 people.
Plus it was shit boring. I'm a fourth year law student and I'm going back to do intro subjects because it's all that I can do (prerequisites and assumed knowledge and all) because the uni forces me to do non-law subjects, so both of todays lectures outlined all the expectations and uni sales pitches and went over how the courses worked and all that, and I guess it's necessary but had I known I just wouldn't have rocked up today, except I wouldn't have been given the course outline. Is it so hard to put that up on the net a week before so I can buy the books and do the stuff before the morning of my tutes please?

On the plus side, sat next to a cute girl and discovered she's on exchange from Purdue in Indianna. Showed her around town a bit while we went to buy the textbooks. Also, she's rather unsure what she wants to do at uni/college so she's doing Accounting, Spanish, Chemistry and Radiology.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #380 on: 07 Mar 2010, 16:41 »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

stress

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #381 on: 07 Mar 2010, 18:16 »

Dropped two subjects, enrolled in a law one. Can you imagine being so bored that you would deliberately enrol in a forth year ten week law course two weeks in? I was more bored than that.

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #382 on: 07 Mar 2010, 22:00 »

Whoo, a 8.3 (with 10 as a max) for my administrative law exam! Now there are just some courses on communication and such to do, and i gets halfway to a masters!
Quote from: Dr. Sidney Freeman
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #383 on: 08 Mar 2010, 17:36 »

Jeeeesus christ, my first day back from break and I get hit with a bunch of weighty (but long-term) stuff: a 25 page paper on democratization in west Africa, A project where I have to observe a native animal in its habitat over a period of 2 weeks for Zoology (I live in southern Wisconsin, so I'm kind of limited to stuff like squirrels, raccoons beavers..maybe a badger if I'm lucky), and writing a 3-page four-part voice choral piece for music theory. On top of that a professor nominated me to give a 30 minute student symposium on a paper I did last semester about ethnic conflict in the former USSR so I have to get maps, prepare a speech, blah blah.

Overwhelmed now!

"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #384 on: 09 Mar 2010, 02:04 »

Holy shit fuck it's 2nd week, how the fuck did I get here!

kemon

• Furry furrier
  • seriously
« Reply #385 on: 09 Mar 2010, 02:22 »

literally nothing happens week 1.   it's easy to miss.
biting's excellent.  it's like kissing, only there's a winner.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #386 on: 09 Mar 2010, 06:41 »

My only real problem with the first two is that I have to boil down like crazy
I wish I had that problem. When I had to write four page essays in high school, it was generally between 2.5 and three pages long. Now I have to write one of 8-10 pages for philosophy and I don't know how I'm supposed to fill those pages.

Metope

« Reply #387 on: 09 Mar 2010, 10:07 »

The more you read beforehand and the more you prepare yourself, the easier it gets. For my lit class last year I had serious problems writing five pages in three days about a book I barely read through and didn't give a shit about, but for my art history exams I usually write 12 - 15 pages in four hours (those exams are in handwriting, I'm not that good). Also remember it's usually not about how much you write, but what you write.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #388 on: 09 Mar 2010, 11:06 »

What really took me from a "struggling-to-get-to-the third-page" writer to a "goddamn-I-can't-get-this-down-to-seven-pages" writer was the realization that every point I make / source I bring in / example I cite needs to be (1) introduced and connected to what I've said so far, (2) explained, (3) analyzed, (4) connected to my major point(s) in terms of the overall progression of the paper, and (5) related to the stuff that comes afterward.  That's development.

And it makes it really easy to fill space with meaningful stuff that isn't just fluff.

Of course, reading a bunch and preparing and whatnot helps too, but it's not everything.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #389 on: 09 Mar 2010, 11:24 »

The more you read beforehand and the more you prepare yourself, the easier it gets. For my lit class last year I had serious problems writing five pages in three days about a book I barely read through and didn't give a shit about, but for my art history exams I usually write 12 - 15 pages in four hours (those exams are in handwriting, I'm not that good).

We were always able to choose from five or so topics, so yeah. YM usual preperation was paying attention during class and going the stuff through again the days before.

Also remember it's usually not about how much you write, but what you write.

That's why I didn't fail high school.

every point I make / source I bring in / example I cite needs to be (1) introduced and connected to what I've said so far, (2) explained, (3) analyzed, (4) connected to my major point(s) in terms of the overall progression of the paper, and (5) related to the stuff that comes afterward.

I'm writhing that down, but it might be that some of that stuff happened automatically.

THanks for the help.

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #390 on: 09 Mar 2010, 12:54 »

A good point; that shift came about over the course of doing a whole shitton of writing, so it's hard to say what was "conscious realization --> improvement" and what was "improvement --> conscious realization."

Either way, though, I don't think being aware of the principle can hurt your writing...

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #391 on: 09 Mar 2010, 14:09 »

Jeeeesus christ, my first day back from break and I get hit with a bunch of weighty (but long-term) stuff: a 25 page paper on democratization in west Africa, A project where I have to observe a native animal in its habitat over a period of 2 weeks for Zoology (I live in southern Wisconsin, so I'm kind of limited to stuff like squirrels, raccoons beavers..maybe a badger if I'm lucky), and writing a 3-page four-part voice choral piece for music theory. On top of that a professor nominated me to give a 30 minute student symposium on a paper I did last semester about ethnic conflict in the former USSR so I have to get maps, prepare a speech, blah blah.

Overwhelmed now!

Having just been through a phylogenetics course, let me remind you that native animals includes just about everything that you can see moving. Honeybees, ladybugs, sparrows, ducks, rabbits, humans...

I wonder if anyone ever got away with studying humans for zoology? Native animal, well, we're not an imported species, so: check. Habitat, seeing as you're here, anywhere you go is your habitat: check. And I suppose one could argue that being of the studied species contributes to greater understanding of their behaviour. I'll keep this in mind...

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #392 on: 15 Mar 2010, 15:02 »

I've been looking into universities, and the one in Oslo has some pretty nice studies that I've applied to.

So, hey, Jens, your don't have an apartment up for rent in the basement? it's not that long to train from your shit hole to Oslo, right?
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #393 on: 15 Mar 2010, 15:27 »

holy crap guys, i've written 25 pages of solid text (50% there oh yeah).

Metope

« Reply #394 on: 15 Mar 2010, 16:18 »

Hey Baste, you can have my apartment at Bjølsen Studentby if you want, I move out sometime this summer after I've finished my stupid BA. It's 4100-ish kr per month, so not bad if you want your own kitchen and bathroom!

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #395 on: 16 Mar 2010, 13:42 »

Hail Satan, girl!

4100 isn't bad at all, that's for sure, depends on what extra costs there are. It says available internet, is that for free? Is there any central heating? Furniture and stuff included?

And, Jens, if I'm moving somewhere, I'll probably not want to go over 4,5k a month including travelling costs. Is that apartment in your building or somewhere randomly else? I'm thinking that living in the same house as someone I semi-know is a pluss. How long is the train time? More than 2 hours both ways? I'm thinking that a little while isn't a bad thing, since IKT studies has a loooot of math, and a train will be somewhere good to read, but approaching 4 hours of travel time a day is a bit too much. I'm already doing 1,5-2, so that wouldn't be any problem at all.

nufan

• Curry sauce
« Reply #396 on: 16 Mar 2010, 13:45 »

So my dissertation which involved me randomising Philip Glass pieces and Oscar Peterson piano licks and other groovy stuff got like 85% and they offered me a job to carry it on next year. I could not be happier about it.

Metope

« Reply #397 on: 16 Mar 2010, 15:55 »

4100 kr includes internet, tv and electricity (the price is actually 3700 kr, with 400 kr a month for electricity during the winter half of the year, and then they adjust the price a bit down during spring and summer). No furniture included, but there's a stove, fridge and freezer. If you want to go cheaper it's always possible to live somewhere with shared kitchens and/or bathrooms. Student apartments in Oslo are actually not that bad! A lot of students in Oslo also live in Lillestrøm, which is way cheaper and only 10 minutes away by train. The downside is that once you're 20 you have to pay 800 kr for a 30 day ticket since you need one for Oslo/Akershus instead of just for Oslo, which I think costs 300-400 kr or something. Also Lillestrøm kinda sucks.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #398 on: 16 Mar 2010, 16:49 »

Thanks guys! Some opportunities like that makes Oslo much more of a possibility than it was. The studies seems like more fun there - more java and less algebra.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #399 on: 17 Mar 2010, 04:31 »

I wish I lived in an apartment :( Or a house. Or just one tiny room, providing I didn't have to move out for holidays.

Next year! NEXT YEAR I will have my room for 39 weeks of the year. No moving after ten weeks! No packing every two months! It will be bliss.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 50   Go Up