THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 76   Go Down

Author Topic: WE LIKE SPORTS  (Read 566751 times)

CardinalFang

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Re: WE LIKE SPORTS
« Reply #100 on: 28 Sep 2009, 05:17 »

I think the Redskins have all the parts to make a better team than they are it's just the parts aren't meshing properly.
Or something.
I'm still depressed. I'll be in my room.

(From Gabbly) Jodizzle: no sad deaths apart from the eaten kitten

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #101 on: 28 Sep 2009, 07:52 »

Well, we have one part that's making all the parts fall apart, and his name is Jim Zorn.  I actually thought Campbell looked pretty good yesterday, though he still has no awareness of the pocket and no idea where he's supposed to stand.  Jim Zorn is just not getting much out of his team, and I also have no idea why our defense couldn't stop anything.  They couldn't even put pressure on Stafford.  What the fuck?
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #102 on: 28 Sep 2009, 07:55 »

Especially considering how terrible everyone says Detroit's O-line is
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #103 on: 28 Sep 2009, 11:03 »

Hey, Tampa Bay Bucs.

What the fuck guys?
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #104 on: 28 Sep 2009, 14:04 »

Daaaaa Bears.

That is all.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #105 on: 29 Sep 2009, 09:32 »

Damn, Tommy. Nice haul!

My baseball team is currently limping its ass into the playoffs and playing like they don't want to actually play baseball. I'm honestly a little worried.
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2009, 09:58 by valley_parade »
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Reed

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #106 on: 29 Sep 2009, 12:04 »

Yeah, having two of your better starting pitchers our for a few games certainly doesn't help. That hit Lester took on the leg looked ridiculously painful.
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #107 on: 29 Sep 2009, 12:27 »

At least your team is in the playoffs
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #108 on: 29 Sep 2009, 23:53 »

[...] and I also have no idea why our defense couldn't stop anything.  They couldn't even put pressure on Stafford.  What the fuck?

Didn't Washington invest $100 mill into that face stomper to get a better defence? Not working or not working yet?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
« Reply #109 on: 30 Sep 2009, 00:08 »

HEY ERIC.

FIGHT YOU!

I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #110 on: 30 Sep 2009, 01:46 »

That game is actually going to be on TV? zzzzz

CardinalFang

« Reply #111 on: 30 Sep 2009, 03:31 »

Hey! Of course that game is going to be on TV!
Mainly as an example of How Not To Play Football.
Alternatively it can be used to threaten recalcitrant players on other teams.
"Watch this! If you don't straighten up we will trade you to one of these teams!"
"Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!"

Ryan,
 I bet my team sucks marginally less than yours!

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #112 on: 30 Sep 2009, 06:54 »

Hey, now that I have football minded people on the line, so to speak, I have a question.

It seems to me, from my over-seas perspective, that there are more coloured men in the NFL than there are white ones. Is that true and if so ... how come?
My Art.

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #113 on: 30 Sep 2009, 06:57 »

Because they're good? 
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #114 on: 30 Sep 2009, 07:08 »

Yeah, having two of your better starting pitchers our for a few games certainly doesn't help. That hit Lester took on the leg looked ridiculously painful.

Some reporter had asked him how big the bruise was. Lester supposedly told the guy "it's the size of a baseball".
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #115 on: 30 Sep 2009, 07:47 »

Because they're good? 

Okay ... are you saying that black men make better athletes?

'cause that'd be weird.
My Art.

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #116 on: 30 Sep 2009, 07:49 »

No, I'm saying that the ones that are there are there because they're good.  The white men are there because they're good.  I don't think it has anything to do with race at all for them to be in the positions they hold. 
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #117 on: 30 Sep 2009, 07:58 »

No, I'm saying that the ones that are there are there because they're good.  The white men are there because they're good.  I don't think it has anything to do with race at all for them to be in the positions they hold. 

Okay, they're good. But it seems to me that there is a difference between the ration of black to white men within the NFL and within society as a whole. And that is odd. I would think that the percentages would be equal.
My Art.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #118 on: 30 Sep 2009, 08:05 »

It wouldn't say those things required private school, but funding for schools in poor areas is crap in the US so you're unlikely to get a decent education if you live in one. Training your body on the other hand can be done with minimal resources. Then you have getting into college, which is expensive but I understand US universities offer a lot of sports scholarships.

Are there any cultural differences? You're vastly more likely to see Asian athletes playing professional cricket than football in the UK, partly because of a cultural heritage of playing cricket since it was exported there in the colonial period and partly I think because football fans have an unfortunate reputation for harbouring some seriously unpleasant racist factions within their ranks.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #119 on: 30 Sep 2009, 09:36 »

I also think it has to do with role models.  Black people tend to be more aggressive playing sports than other pursuits because they have more people to imitate.  This is also why I think there are so few female racing drivers.  I honestly can't think of a single reason that women shouldn't do as well as men in that sport, but there are no females in F1 (though, I hear one of the new teams next year is bringing in a woman), there are only a few in Indy Car, I don't really follow WRC and I actively avoid learning anything about NASCAR.

Didn't Washington invest $100 mill into that face stomper to get a better defence? Not working or not working yet?

He's doing great, but nobody else seemed to be able to do anything.  He also left the game for a bit due to an injury.

HEY ERIC.

FIGHT YOU!

You guys are going down!

I really hope you guys are going down.

The Redskins will not win another game this season  :cry:
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Reed

« Reply #120 on: 30 Sep 2009, 09:39 »

I think Jens is absolutely correct, it's mostly an issue of the socio-economic divide between races in this country.
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #121 on: 30 Sep 2009, 12:01 »

Yeah, sports are believed by many to be an area where blacks have an advantage, if anything, (white men can't jump, anyone?) and obviously it's easier to get involved in sports than it is to go to the best schools, so socioeconomic circumstances are probably the biggest factor. Opportunity breeds players; just look at the baseball factory that is the Dominican Republic. If you're a coordinated young man from the Dominican Republic, someone's going to want to put a bat in your hand and so you end up with a surprising number of the world's pro ball players. There's also the fact that if you're the slightest bit black or even look kind of black, people tend to think of you as black, which is sort of funny considering how many athletes are actually of mixed heritages. I bet your average person off the street will always at least know "black" when asked about Tiger Wood's background, but the guy is also Thai and Chinese in equal measure, with a dollop of Dutch and Native American thrown in for variety. So you have to consider that the way we tend to categorize people skews things from the outset.

Which leads me to another point: there is probably a bit of a genetics involved, but that's different from saying blacks are better at sports in general. After all, the highest tier athletes are almost statistical outliers by definition. Michael Jordan was Michael Jordan in part because he had some physical gifts that are atypical of any group. But that said, Africans and people of recent African descent come from a population that features a much higher degree of genetic diversity than the populations the rest of us come from. After all, other ethnic groups are essentially just relatively small sub-samples of some original African population. So, if there is some magical confluence of traits out there that can result in say, a Shaquille O'Neal, then it's likely to be present in the African American population even if they are in the minority. That still leaves most blacks muddling around in mediocrity land with the rest of us, however, so skin color is still a horrible way of predicting success in well, anything.
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2009, 07:25 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
« Reply #122 on: 30 Sep 2009, 23:56 »

According to a 1997 study (which is the latest I've been bothered to find) 65% of players in the NFL are black. But to be honest, I don't see why what a players race has to do with anything. Whoopdy doo. It's about skill, not about ancestory.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #123 on: 30 Sep 2009, 23:58 »

I noticed. I was interested.

I have to say that all of you bring up good points and I thank you for your answers. 
My Art.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #124 on: 01 Oct 2009, 06:51 »

Jesus guys can we go five minutes without having a sociology debate in this forum
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #125 on: 01 Oct 2009, 06:53 »

... sorry.

How 'bout that local sportsteam?
My Art.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #126 on: 01 Oct 2009, 08:14 »

Local hockey team kicks off its' season tonight against the Washington Capitals. I am effing PUMPED.

the_pied_piper

« Reply #127 on: 01 Oct 2009, 08:29 »

Only 'til Ovy takes you down a peg.  :wink:

So folks, it's hockey season again and the Flyers are going for a run at the cup this year (hopefully). Should be a fairly simple start at Carolina tonight then on to greater things.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #128 on: 01 Oct 2009, 10:18 »

CAPITALS!  *crosses fingers*

Sorry, I'm not used to having a team in my home city that's decent.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #129 on: 01 Oct 2009, 10:21 »

Any time you want to send Michael Nylander back to Boston, I'll gladly accept him.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #130 on: 01 Oct 2009, 13:41 »

Man, does someone in the NFL have a grudge against Denver? Their next 5 games are against the Cowboys, the Patriots, the Chargers, the Ravens and then the Steelers. I guess the 1972 Dolphins weren't available.
« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2009, 13:44 by Alex C »

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #131 on: 01 Oct 2009, 14:38 »

The Cowboys could end up being a pretty nice victory for you guys (depending on how Romo's feeling that day) and the Seelers are not doing well at all this season.  Philip Rivers is my dad's boy, though.  Went to NC State, see.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #132 on: 01 Oct 2009, 15:13 »

Eh, well, I'm a Vikings fan, not a Broncos fan; I just try and take notice of things like that when looking at the big picture. It's not every day that a team has a stretch like that. If they can keep the games competitive it's entirely possible that they could end up 4-4 and still be one of the better teams in the league.

As for the Steelers, that could still end up a very tough game, since they suffered a rash of injuries early and the game is 6 weeks away. I actually think the Bengals are pretty good this year, so losing by a combined 6 points in road games to them and Chicago doesn't hit me as really too big of a disaster, particularly since they had some key players banged up. After all, Pittsburgh could feasibly have Polamalu back and their running back situation sorted out better by week 6. They're a talented team with decent depth and they're well-coached. I could see them going on a bit of a run midway through the season as other teams get nicked up. A lot of the teams that have good records right now are paper thin in some areas. For example, the Bengals are going to be in sorry shape if their defensive backs get any more beat up.
« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2009, 15:38 by Alex C »

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #133 on: 02 Oct 2009, 01:13 »

And I personally don't think that the pats look great this year, so maybe there's something there too.
My Art.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #134 on: 02 Oct 2009, 01:16 »

The Chargers are falling apart at the seams. Maybe they'll get their act together by the time Denver gets to 'em, but somehow I doubt it. Norv Turner needs to be gone for that team to get anywhere.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #135 on: 02 Oct 2009, 06:41 »

Bruins, what the hellllllllllll

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #136 on: 02 Oct 2009, 08:06 »

Norv Turner needs to be gone for that team to get anywhere.

I know what you mean.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #137 on: 02 Oct 2009, 12:04 »

We'll take him back as offensive coordinator, if you don't mind...
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #138 on: 02 Oct 2009, 12:16 »

The only thing I really like about the Chargers is Rivers. He is probably even better than people give him credit for. That offense he's in calls for three types of plays: Hand it to the running back, dump it off to the running back or make a ridiculously high difficulty long pass. Over ten percent of his pass attempts went for over 20 yards last year, which is ridiculous. I'm still not all that terribly sure he's really worse than Drew Brees; the situations are too different for me to feel comfortable trying to make a comparison.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #139 on: 02 Oct 2009, 12:26 »

And I personally don't think that the pats look great this year, so maybe there's something there too.

They don't look dominant, but they've actually looked better with each game. A lot of people seem to be forgetting that Brady's only played three full games in the last year and a half (Of the three teams they've faced, they looked best against the Falcons, who I think are most likely to make the playoffs). He's been the weak link and it's highly unlikely that will linger. The defensive line's been a bit shaky, though they've looked better and better each game, but their offensive line, particularly their running game, is about the best it's been in years. Once the defense gets some more experience under their belts (The talent's there, but most of them are young) and Brady starts utilizing that extra pocket time he's getting and making those big plays he's known for, they'll probably get on a roll.

The most dangerous thing teams could do right now is underestimate the Pats.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #140 on: 02 Oct 2009, 18:03 »

The only thing I really like about the Chargers is Rivers. He is probably even better than people give him credit for. That offense he's in calls for three types of plays: Hand it to the running back, dump it off to the running back or make a ridiculously high difficulty long pass. Over ten percent of his pass attempts went for over 20 yards last year, which is ridiculous. I'm still not all that terribly sure he's really worse than Drew Brees; the situations are too different for me to feel comfortable trying to make a comparison.

Yeah, the thing is, as great as Drew Brees unquestionably is, San Diego had invested enough money and time in Rivers that they kind of had to give him a shot. There was no way they could afford to keep both of them. And frankly, I think they made the right decision letting Brees go in free agency.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #141 on: 03 Oct 2009, 18:29 »

Man, I can't decide who to start on my fantasy team this week (normally, I just roll out Steve Smith, but he's on a bye), Devin Hester vs. the Lions or slightly banged up Kevin Walter vs. the Raiders. Two talented guys vs. two putrid teams. I know it's the definition of a good problem to have, but it's not making the decision any easier.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #142 on: 03 Oct 2009, 21:04 »

Local footy finishes tonight, with the Mighty and Dashingly Handsome Double Blues opposing the boring tyranny of the pathetic and boring Bulldogs. Go the Double Blues!

(and Booo! to Port Adelaide, just for good measure)
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #143 on: 04 Oct 2009, 13:26 »

So, why can't the Redskins have the team we had in the second half of the past two games all the time?  What the fuck guys?
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
« Reply #144 on: 04 Oct 2009, 13:54 »

So, why can't the Buccaneers have the team we had in the first half of our last game all the time? What the fuck guys?

CardinalFang

« Reply #145 on: 04 Oct 2009, 14:00 »

Woo the Redskins won TWO games!
TWO!
God help us when we play Dallas.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #146 on: 04 Oct 2009, 14:06 »

So, why can't the Buccaneers have the team we had in the first half of our last game all the time? What the fuck guys?

Your coaching staff is too incompetent and reactionary to make adjustments from week to week. Thus the Buccaneers need an entire half to get their heads out of their asses and figure out the plan that they should have been using to begin with. Among current coaches with talented teams, Brad Childress is probably the gold standard in this area.
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2009, 14:39 by Alex C »

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #147 on: 04 Oct 2009, 14:58 »

Um...  The Bucs want the team they had in the first half (which wasn't that great this game, to be honest).  The Redskins want the team we had in the second half (which also wasn't that great, but wasn't completely fucking useless).

Woo the Redskins won TWO games!
TWO!
God help us when we play Dallas.

Dallas?  I can't even think that far ahead.  God help us when we play Carolina.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #148 on: 04 Oct 2009, 16:17 »

I picked up the 49ers defense this week on my fantasy team; frankly, I had no idea why they were still available, but I wasn't going to question it. After all, the 49ers stuff the run and running is the only area that the Rams are even remotely competent. But as optimistic as I was about their prospects against the Rams, I still wasn't prepared for that level of epic beat down. Someone needs to figure out a way to get Steven Jackson off that team; he deserves better.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #149 on: 04 Oct 2009, 18:05 »

They're probably the worst team in football.

Also, for anyone who cares, let's discuss Jensen Button.  Do you think he can step it up to win?  I really want either he or Barrichello to win.  Maybe it can come down to between a Briton or a Brazilian in the last race again.  Except that it won't be in Brazil.

Also, how about Casey Stoner?  Back on the podium after resting to recover from his still mysterious illness.  I'm a fan of Ducati, so I'm pretty happy.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 76   Go Up