THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 76   Go Down

Author Topic: WE LIKE SPORTS  (Read 566898 times)

valley_parade

• coprophage
Re: WE LIKE SPORTS
« Reply #450 on: 05 Dec 2009, 07:36 »

We got this shit. And we can beat Spain.

Hell, we did it earlier this year!

*cough*USA! USA! USA!*cough*
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Ptommydski

« Reply #451 on: 05 Dec 2009, 08:02 »

USA also came agonisingly close to beating Brazil. They were two goals up at half-time and it suddenly crumbled in the second half.

However, if England have anything like their first team out then I expect to be celebrating three points on my birthday.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #452 on: 05 Dec 2009, 08:15 »

Don't remind me, that game was absolutely crushing to watch.

Oh well. I suppose it's what happens when you're becoming a great soccer nation, though. You're gonna have those tough losses in big games.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Rudi Voller

• Plantmonster
« Reply #453 on: 05 Dec 2009, 10:00 »

I actually loved that game, as I had money on USA being up at half time and Brazil coming back to win. I can't imagine it would have been as enjoyable as an American.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #454 on: 05 Dec 2009, 10:04 »

I'd imagine it's just about how Bayern fans felt during the 99 Champions League final.

On the other hand, I loved that game.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #455 on: 06 Dec 2009, 14:13 »

GODDAMNIT!  We should not have lost that game.  Shaun Suisham screwed us so hard by missing that 23 yard kick.  Also, there were a couple of bad reviews from the booth about down by contact.  And the end of the half was crazy lucky for them.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

WestEnder67

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #456 on: 06 Dec 2009, 14:18 »

No offence to the Americans, but England should be able to walk that group. An absolute scoosh compared to what they could have had (i.e. Germany's group). I still want the US to do a repeat of 1950 though.  :-)

Plus the Pats lost late again...  :-(

At least Celtic won. Still top of the league... :-D

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #457 on: 06 Dec 2009, 14:42 »

GODDAMNIT!  We should not have lost that game.  Shaun Suisham screwed us so hard by missing that 23 yard kick.  Also, there were a couple of bad reviews from the booth about down by contact.  And the end of the half was crazy lucky for them.

Yeh, that missed FG did you guys in, big time. Good lord, was that game entertaining though.

Also, Pats lost to Miami, Pitt lost to Oakland, and the Bears didn't choke on the Rams (although there were a couple bogus play calls anyway - the botched fake FG was atrocious). This weekend is a success so far.

Now it's down to Minnesota V. Cardinals.

(Vikes are gonna blow 'em out of the water.)
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #458 on: 06 Dec 2009, 15:10 »

God, I hope the Packers don't grab a wildcard spot. Beating them for a third time would be delicious, but I don't even want to think about how the media would promote the matchup. And good god, the commentating...

Plus, you know, a chance injury here and there over the next couple of weeks and it's not inconceivable that the Vikings could you know, lose such a game. That possibility isn't really something I'm prepared to talk about rationally.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #459 on: 06 Dec 2009, 15:15 »

Vikings fans have been so brutally stampeded since, well, the franchise's inception, that I have to root for the Vikes on principle, just because I hate to see so many people get their hearts broken so many times.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #460 on: 06 Dec 2009, 17:21 »

Yeah, I'm pretty much incapable of being completely confident in the Vikings for any appreciable length of time because of that. I just can't do it. I'm not particularly bitter or malicious about it nor am I one of those guys who regularly shits on the team whenever they lose a game. You won't hear me bitch about "the same ol' Vikings," after a tough loss like that one against Pittsburgh, for example. Shit can go wrong when you go up against the defending champs on their own field. It doesn't mean we have a bad team.

But that said, I remember the '98 and '00 NFC Championship games rather well, thank you very much. It is not lost on me that the Vikings are peaking in a season in which two teams are sitting on 12-0 records. I mean, shit, I couldn't even properly post that picture of Jared Allen posing with a bear carcass without hedging my bets as to how the game would turn out, and the Bears aren't exactly tearing it up this year. So, yeah, my guard is up; I've been here before and it didn't turn out so hot.
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2009, 18:09 by Alex C »

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #461 on: 06 Dec 2009, 17:59 »

Hail hail.  :-D Hopefully we can keep it up, 'specially since we can now focus solely on domestic football.
There is no true love, just a finely tuned jealousy.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #462 on: 06 Dec 2009, 20:38 »

Clearly I know nothing about football.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #463 on: 06 Dec 2009, 21:13 »

It's alright man there were a few "unexpecteds" this week (yeah what the fuck Patriots and Steelers)
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Reed

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #464 on: 06 Dec 2009, 22:01 »

Fucking Seahawks.
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #465 on: 07 Dec 2009, 07:39 »

The Steelers are so hilarious this year. Way to forget how to be a good team.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #466 on: 07 Dec 2009, 08:51 »

Clearly I know nothing about football.

I was a bit worried about this game, but didn't expect it to go down that badly either. I guess this just shows how hard it is to evaluate a team when they have a schedule as easy as that of the Vikings. I'm pretty sure their opponents had a combined win total under 40 going into last week, which is pretty sad.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #467 on: 07 Dec 2009, 09:43 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgYrYaLDs9o

I was watching the cricket on tv yesterday afternoon and saw this. At that moment I felt proud to be an Australian.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #468 on: 07 Dec 2009, 20:38 »

Clearly im a little late for the WC draw discussion but to chime i think USA did ok with their group. Like to see them come out on top of England in the 1st game.  I also was kinda astonished N. Korea had a team and were any good(what, no S. Korea?). I agree with the Italy prediction but guess we will have to see.  Also in also late American Football news. Did anyone see this play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf_LvK9ADRM laugh every time i see it. Also please Tebow stop crying you got your ass handed to you suck it up like a man and play on. 
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #469 on: 08 Dec 2009, 06:23 »

South Korea are in the World Cup. They were put into group B.

Ptommydski

« Reply #470 on: 08 Dec 2009, 06:46 »

I also was kinda astonished N. Korea had a team and were any good

They're not any good. The WC qualification isn't the best teams in the world, it's the best teams from each qualifying group. North Korea's qualifying group just isn't very good. They are scarcely in the best one hundred teams in the world.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #471 on: 08 Dec 2009, 06:52 »

Yeah Asia has teams like Bahrain and Qatar in it. In fact most of the teams in Asia are like Bahrain and Qatar. Off the top of my head the only teams in Asia that could conceivably worry other major nations around the world on a regular basis are Japan, South Korea, Australia, and maybe China one day - and none of them are among the best teams in the world by any sensible reckoning. By way of comparison, try naming off the top of your head the genuinely dangerous and talented national teams in Europe, South America, and Africa. You're going to have many more than three or four such teams in each of those continents.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #472 on: 08 Dec 2009, 06:53 »

Iran and Iraq pop up and play spectacular football on occasion (didn't Iraq win Olympic gold last year?), but never seem to be consistently good.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #473 on: 08 Dec 2009, 06:55 »

Oh yeah, I forgot about them. I wouldn't count Iraq (sure they won the Asian Cup - but Greece won the European Cup not so long ago) but Iran are definitely a regional powerhouse. Saudi Arabia now and then, too. But if you consider that Iran is one of the more consistently succesful teams in Asia - well, let's just say they're no Brazil or Argentina or Italy or Germany.

the_pied_piper

« Reply #474 on: 08 Dec 2009, 07:00 »

Iran and Iraq pop up and play spectacular football on occasion (didn't Iraq win Olympic gold last year?), but never seem to be consistently good.

Nah, Argentina have won Olympic Gold the last 2 times. Iran are consistently one of the best footballing countries in Asia though, this will be their 5th time at the World Cup, 4th consecutive.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #475 on: 08 Dec 2009, 07:07 »

I kinda wish FIFA had made it so we'd been drawn into a group with North Korea and Iran.

Then again, Bush isn't in office anymore, so it'd kinda just be another football match.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #476 on: 08 Dec 2009, 14:47 »

Fuck me that was tense, I was starting to think penalties would be deciding things and then Mike Grella turned up. Thank fuck for that.

Next up the scum.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #477 on: 08 Dec 2009, 15:09 »

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #478 on: 08 Dec 2009, 15:11 »

Here is Grella's second goal for the Yanks who won't see it otherwise -

That Leeds player on the far right of the screen seems kind of distraught after the goal is scored. I see he stuck up his hand for a cross at the beginning of the play - maybe he wishes he'd scored the goal? Maybe he'd promised his mum he'd scroe a goal? Maybe he was hoping to impress a girl after the game with tales of his footballing heroics?

the_pied_piper

« Reply #479 on: 08 Dec 2009, 15:18 »

That Leeds player on the far right of the screen seems kind of distraught after the goal is scored.

I noticed this too. What you don't see is that part of the move beforehand was simply Beckford (with his hand up) beating 3 players and having his shot saved so maybe he was hoping that Grella would give him the chance to right his wrong. Fantastic tricks and finish by Grella though, he did come on and completely change the game just when Leeds needed it.

Also, Beckford did score but was at least a yard offside when doing so although it would have made no difference to the game if it was disallowed as it was the last goal.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #480 on: 08 Dec 2009, 15:24 »

Actually holy shit both the players on the right look less than pleased with the goal. There's the guy on the far right who puts his hands on his head and the other guy below him on the screen who kind of rolls his head like he's rolling his eyes and then starts walking away. Maybe Grella's an insufferable bragger in the dressing-rooms and the other player is imagining it in his head. Or maybe he just doesn't like Americans.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #481 on: 08 Dec 2009, 15:34 »

I like Mike Grella. He did well in the first leg. He's scored some good goals this season. I think the Yanks should take him to South Africa next year.

It was harsh on Lee Harper because his team played so well over two legs. He played like a superhuman in both games and the revenue from a match at Old Trafford would have bankrolled the club for a season.

Indeed, Harper fully deserved man of the match and I know if I'd been a neutral I would've been rooting for them. As it is though, I'm more than happy to see us going to Old Trafford.

And agreed on Grella. His second goal was lovely.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

WestEnder67

« Reply #482 on: 13 Dec 2009, 15:00 »

Hail hail.  :-D Hopefully we can keep it up, 'specially since we can now focus solely on domestic football.
Nearly made an arse of it again yesterday though...  :|
Luckily Fortuné came and pulled it out the bag.  :-)
Just hoping that Dundee Utd can get a result against 'The Others' :wink: in midweek as a nice wee sweetner to our lead at the top.

P.S. - N.E. won against Carolina. Woo! :lol:
P.P.S. - Anyone see Rodallega's goal for Wigan against Stoke yesterday?  :-o

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #483 on: 13 Dec 2009, 15:09 »

Another Bears loss that I don't feel so bad about. Cutler needs an offseason with his receivers. And we need to lose Ron Turner. Bad.

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #484 on: 13 Dec 2009, 15:10 »

Rodalegga didn't score yesterday. Are you maybe thinking of Figueroa, who scored this totally ridiculous free kick?

WestEnder67

« Reply #485 on: 13 Dec 2009, 19:56 »

Rodalegga didn't score yesterday. Are you maybe thinking of Figueroa, who scored this totally ridiculous free kick?
That is the one, yes.

Don't know why I thought it was Rodallega...  :? :oops:

Cracking goal nonetheless...  :-D

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #486 on: 14 Dec 2009, 07:39 »

Here is Grella's second goal for the Yanks who won't see it otherwise -

Ronaldo-esque.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #487 on: 14 Dec 2009, 11:07 »

Actually, I'm wrong. Ronaldo would have done those nifty stepovers and then fell on his face instead of scoring.

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #488 on: 14 Dec 2009, 11:54 »

That is the one, yes.

Don't know why I thought it was Rodallega...  :? :oops:

Cracking goal nonetheless...  :-D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rotherham_utd/8412091.stm

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #489 on: 14 Dec 2009, 13:18 »

I don't have much to add to this topic, as I don't watch football/soccer, but I did see the movie The Damned United, about Brian Clouth, the other night. And I thought it was quite good, and that anyone interested in football might find the movie fairly good as well.

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #490 on: 14 Dec 2009, 19:06 »

It definitely had it's flaws. But I thought that Michael Sheen and the cinematography made it worth seeing. Of course, I knew nothing about the story nor football in genre before seeing the film.

Reed

« Reply #491 on: 15 Dec 2009, 09:00 »

Woooooo, the Niners beat the Cards!
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #492 on: 15 Dec 2009, 09:04 »

Wooo, Jeremy Hermidia Ramon A. Ramirez Boof Bonser Mike Cameron Marco Scutaro Max Ramirez Scott Atchison Tug Hulett John Lackey!
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2009, 09:06 by valley_parade »

Kill.kenada

• Lucky Blue Suit
« Reply #493 on: 15 Dec 2009, 17:36 »

Just found this thread here.

Good to see another Leeds fan!

Did you go to the Kettering replay Ptommydski?
I was sat just where Grella came to celebrate.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #494 on: 16 Dec 2009, 05:12 »

Woooooo, the Niners beat the Cards!
Didn't see that one coming at all.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Kill.kenada

• Lucky Blue Suit
« Reply #495 on: 16 Dec 2009, 07:48 »

Alas, I live in Aberdeen so I don't get to see as many games as I once did. I saw it on television though, it was a frustrating game.

Massive game on Saturday. Make or break time for our title hopes.

You reckon?

I'm not so sure.
We're on a bit of a wobbly patch (always happens round christmas), and Southampton are in form. I'm expecting us to drop points, but even if we do, we have a game in hand.

Charlton will slip up and Norwich wont catch up.
To be honest I'm not bothered about winning it, so long as we go up!

Ptommydski

« Reply #496 on: 16 Dec 2009, 08:36 »

I think we have to bank on losing to teams like Southampton, Norwich, Huddersfield and Charlton away from home but I'd expect a side competing for automatic promotion to take at least a point from each team at home. That's fine as long as we keep getting results against the rest of the table, especially away from home. However, that's in itself quite a challenge. We're in the position we're in currently by simply not losing games (aside from that solitary trip to Millwall, which was unlucky) and we need to keep that up. I still feel like Charlton are the natural Champions this year, having already been through their run of bad form and Norwich are unquestionably capable of winning every game for the rest of the season if their momentum continues. However, the transfer window is crucial to both teams. If they are facing financial problems as some reports suggest, they might have to unload a couple of their best players to make ends meet. To Charlton this might not be such a problem but Norwich are essentially Holt & Hoolahan FC. If they lose one or both of those two, their hopes of automatic promotion are dust. We could stand to lose any two of our players and it wouldn't particularly matter.

I'm worried about moral more than anything at this point. A bad result at home to Saints and it's inevitably going to be seen as a dangerous run of poor form, which isn't likely to be improved by the looming presence of an away game at Old Trafford in the near future. Especially given the fixtures we have coming up. I'm not overly bothered about being Champions this year but now we're up here it seems like we could do it given a bit of resilience. With the transfer window beckoning and considering we haven't actually spent any money this year (aside from the wages and a trivial sum for Bromby) one could be forgiven for hoping Uncle Ken will allow Larry a little bit of spending money to finish the job. Especially since we probably got somewhere between four and six million for Fabian Delph pre-season.

Kill.kenada

• Lucky Blue Suit
« Reply #497 on: 16 Dec 2009, 14:09 »

I know what you mean about losing to Sotuhampton.

They are essentially a play off team, and as you say the only team we've lost to is Millwall. The Den's always a tough place to go to.

I'm so pessimistic when it comes to Leeds, thanks to the last 5/6 years. But I genuinely think we're on the up now.
What am I talking about? Of course we're gonna beat Southampton! haha!

You on Waccoe?

Ptommydski

« Reply #498 on: 16 Dec 2009, 14:22 »

I read but I don't post. It's a pretty insane forum. Not very welcoming considering everyone is basically there for the same reason. Too much needless chest-beating and all that "you can't be a Leeds fan if you don't go to every game" attitude. We can't all live next to Elland Road as much as I'm sure we'd all like to. I get down when I can and that's all I can do. If that makes me a part-timer, I can't be arsed arguing.

I was born in Leeds, I attended my first game when I was five months old. Everyone in my family was born in Leeds and supports them. I've been to hundreds of Leeds games all around the country and in Europe. I can name every team since 1984 and I have every home shirt since the same year. I've been to Wembley with Leeds five times. I was at the game in Bournemouth that promoted us to the First Division and I was one of the first people on that pitch before the Police dispersed us with tear gas canisters. I was at Elland Road when we won the title the following year too. My week is literally made or destroyed by what happens to Leeds United. It's a big deal to me but it's hard to argue with someone lucky enough to have a season ticket.

Kill.kenada

• Lucky Blue Suit
« Reply #499 on: 16 Dec 2009, 15:26 »

That's impressive.
I'm from Doncaster myself, so I'm also considered part-time. My Dad brought me up on Leeds from being very young though. Going up to Carlisle play off semi final without a ticket and ending up sitting in their end negates any "part time" argument.

The play off defeat to Doncaster was particularly hard to stomach.

But yeah Waccoe is pretty much a boys club. Good source of information though.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 76   Go Up