THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 00:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 76   Go Down

Author Topic: WE LIKE SPORTS  (Read 567210 times)

Alex C

• comeback tour!
Re: WE LIKE SPORTS
« Reply #550 on: 30 Dec 2009, 22:22 »

I dunno if anyone watches basketball, but I find it a li'l depressing that pretty much nobody in the league seems to feel the need to double Tim Duncan anymore. It's a very quiet end of an era.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #551 on: 30 Dec 2009, 23:27 »

Basketball is a bad game.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #552 on: 01 Jan 2010, 01:21 »

See, I find players interesting as opposed to the games themselves. Basketball has small teams and it becomes pretty easy to get a feel for the strengths and weaknesses of each player. Much like with hockey, it's one of the few sports where at any given second a player can get isolated and left to sink or swim with little to no warning. Football has moments like that, but the size of the pitch and teams can dull the impact a bit and make it a bit easier to protect a weaker player-- guys get beat bad all the time, of course, but usually the ball's going to get bogged down again anyway, so you can sorta live with it. But with basketball you'll end up with games where a guy will just get demolished by the same person repeatedly, and it becomes pretty interesting to find out how the guy will handle it, because if he doesn't figure it out, other teams will do it too. It's the least anonymous sport that way, really-- if you have a weakness, it will be found. The league is too small for it not to happen, and even shmucks like me will see it. And players respond to this pressure in as many ways as you can imagine.
« Last Edit: 01 Jan 2010, 01:26 by Alex C »

Ptommydski

« Reply #553 on: 03 Jan 2010, 05:59 »

Leeds are winning against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Quote from: BBC News
"Leeds fans singing 'Stand up if you're top of the League'. None of them have sat down yet.

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #554 on: 03 Jan 2010, 06:37 »

Sigh. I hate to sound like a paranoid Celtic fan, but when you get a perfectly legitimate goal disallowed and then a stone-wall red card for the opposing team ignored, it really does make you wonder...
There is no true love, just a finely tuned jealousy.

Ptommydski

« Reply #555 on: 03 Jan 2010, 07:08 »

WE'VE BEEN THROUGH IT ALL TOGETHER

AND WE'VE HAD OUR UPS AND DOWNS

UP AND DOWNS

STAND UP AND SING FOR LEEDS UNITED

WE ARE THE GREATEST IN THE LAND

Ptommydski

« Reply #556 on: 03 Jan 2010, 07:08 »

MARCHING ON TOGETHER

WE'RE GONNA SEE YOU WIN

LA LA LA LA LA LA

WE ARE SO PROUD

WE SHOUT IT OUT LOUD

WE LOVE YOU LEEDS

LEEDS

LEEDS

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #557 on: 03 Jan 2010, 07:10 »

Yeah... apparently they won a game against some guys, or something?

Ptommydski

« Reply #558 on: 03 Jan 2010, 07:21 »

Ptommydski

« Reply #559 on: 03 Jan 2010, 07:39 »

Ptommydski

« Reply #560 on: 03 Jan 2010, 08:07 »

Manchester United v Leeds United line-ups:
Man Utd: Kuszczak, Neville, Vidic, Jonathan Evans, Fabio Da Silva, Welbeck, Gibson, Anderson, Obertan, Berbatov, Rooney.
Subs: Amos, Brown, Owen, Giggs, Tosic, Carrick, Rafael Da Silva.
Leeds: Ankergren, Crowe, Naylor, Kisnorbo, Hughes, Howson, Kilkenny, Doyle, Johnson, Beckford, Becchio.
Subs: David Martin, Prutton, Grella, Michalik, Snodgrass, Capaldi, White.
Referee: Chris Foy (Merseyside)

Leeds boss Simon Grayson: "We won't change how we go about our business for anyone, as they wouldn't. We're here to win the game and we'll give it a go. The rivalry is there for everyone to know about, not so long ago it was a Premier League fixture, but hopefully it'll be a cracking game and atmosphere."

1319: GOAL Manchester United 0-1 Leeds United
Leeds goal: No, I'm not joking. Johnny Howson launches a fabulous 50-yard pass over the top of Wes Brown to Jermaine Beckford, and suddenly he's in behind. His touch is a little strong, but he gets to the ball before Brown and the onrushing Tomasz Kuszczak and rolls it into the net. This would be a Cupset to rival any other.

1326: Jason Crowe stands up a cross from the right to the back post, and Bradley Johnson heads wide. I knew League One once, and it wasn't like this. Leeds are on fire.

From Bobleponge, Eance, via text - "Stevo, watching this on telly at home in France. When Rooney had his shot cleared off the line, the Leeds fans sang a little ditty about his weight and his parentage. Two French commentators repeated it word for word, thinking it was the Manc fans encouraging him. Brilliant."

1347: Half-time Manchester United 0-1 Leeds United
If United weren't sure about their opponents before this one, they will know they are in a game now. It's everything the FA Cup should be.

From Missinaldo on 606: "There's only one team playing the football at OT today. Excellent passing, compact defending, and when attacking move forward in waves. It's Leeds.

From TaiSx via Twitter: "Are we playing Leeds or Real Madrid??

1454: Full-time Manchester United 0-1 Leeds United
Forget Leeds' past - they are a League One club, and they have just dumped Man United out of the FA Cup at Old Trafford. It's one of the great upsets in this competition's magnificent history.

1457: After everything Leeds' fans have been through in the last few years, you can feel nothing but delight for them as they start what is sure to be a massive party. That was a truly stunning performance.

Leeds boss Simon Grayson: "It was a good ball from Johnny Howson and nine out of 10 times Jermaine Beckford finishes them off. Full credit to the players, who were outstanding. They have been like that all season. Beckford is the new hero now."

Leeds United captain Richard Naylor: "It is unbelievable, a tremendous result that has been a long time coming. I am really proud of the lads. I thought we had a few chances to make it 2-0 late on. We dug in when we needed to but we also played some good football."

Ptommydski

« Reply #561 on: 03 Jan 2010, 08:11 »

Man Utd had never before lost in the third round of the Cup - or been knocked out of it by a lower-division side - during Sir Alex Ferguson's 23-year reign as manager.

"Leeds fans singing 'Stand up if you're top of the League'. None of them have sat down yet."

Coward

• FIGHT YOU
  • Carries on, a wayward son.
« Reply #562 on: 03 Jan 2010, 08:46 »

A Leeds fan, perchance?
Quote from: Buckaroo Banzai
Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, 'cos, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

WestEnder67

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #563 on: 03 Jan 2010, 08:49 »

Sigh. I hate to sound like a paranoid Celtic fan, but when you get a perfectly legitimate goal disallowed and then a stone-wall red card for the opposing team ignored, it really does make you wonder...
Wonder what?

That the SFA - of the likes of Jim Farry, Gordon Smith, Darryl Broadfoot, Mike McCurry et al - have it in for Celtic?

Never! And yes, I am being sarcastic.

Not that the fact that we couldn't last for two minutes with the bloody lead against a team we'd dominated helped a great deal.

Kill.kenada

• Lucky Blue Suit
« Reply #564 on: 03 Jan 2010, 10:02 »

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ALL LOVE LEEDS AND LEEDS AND LEEDS LEEDS AND LEEDS LEEDS AND LEEDS LEEDS AND LEEDS LEEDS AND LEEDS LEEDS AND LEEDS LEEDS AND LEEDS LEEDS AND LEEDS

Ptommydski

« Reply #565 on: 03 Jan 2010, 10:24 »

It's pretty much incredible whichever way you look at this.

1. We beat Manchester United.
2. We beat Manchester United at Old Trafford.
3. We beat Manchester United and kept a clean sheet at Old Trafford.
4. We beat near-enough Manchester United's first team and kept a clean sheet at Old Trafford.
4. We beat near-enough Manchester United's first team and kept a clean sheet at Old Trafford despite having four of our first team players out (Higgs, Parker, Bromby, Snodgrass).

Remember there's forty two places and two divisions between the two teams and their monthly wage bill is worth roughly the same as our whole team.

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
« Reply #566 on: 03 Jan 2010, 10:53 »

I have to say it really was quite an impressive defeat. Business as usual for the Arsenal though! Stoke shouldn't be too difficult though. Now all I can do is hope Leeds keep up their performance against Spurs!

Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #567 on: 03 Jan 2010, 13:10 »

It was nice of the Giants D to come through for me like that. I knew they had it in 'em.

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #568 on: 03 Jan 2010, 13:29 »

Wonder what?

That the SFA - of the likes of Jim Farry, Gordon Smith, Darryl Broadfoot, Mike McCurry et al - have it in for Celtic?

Never! And yes, I am being sarcastic.

Not that the fact that we couldn't last for two minutes with the bloody lead against a team we'd dominated helped a great deal.

Don't get me wrong, the strikers are to blame for their inability to finish, no doubt. However, it doesn't help that when they do finally manage to put one in the net it gets chopped off for no bloody reason.

Ptommydski

« Reply #569 on: 03 Jan 2010, 13:37 »

This doesn't capture Johnny Howson's fifty yard pass in all its glory but this is the Beckford goal from today.

He had about twelve inches of space between the keeper and the last defender and in his normal casual manner slotted it perfectly between the two.

Rudi Voller

• Plantmonster
« Reply #570 on: 03 Jan 2010, 14:34 »

How is this Leeds team only in League 1? The fact that they aren't winning it at an absolute canter is ridiculous. Them, Norwich and Chartlon are all far too good for the division. The fact that only 2 of them will go up automatically is pretty unfair.

That tie did not feel like a Man Utd home game. My favourite moment was when Gary Neville first gets the ball and gets pantomime booed. How often does he get booed at Old Trafford?

I recorded the match while at work today and I'm currently watching it through for the second time. Wes Brown somehow seems to have an even worse match second time around.

Ptommydski

« Reply #571 on: 03 Jan 2010, 14:46 »

Considering the fact that right after being booked Wes Brown committed two fouls which were easily worthy of a red (including an off the ball incident with a Leeds player who was lying on the ground at the time), I have decided that the referee had merely observed that it was more of an advantage to Leeds to keep him on the pitch since he was having such a bad game.

We've only lost two games this whole season (Milwall and Liverpool) and they were both unlucky results. I think Norwich will win the league but as long as we finish second I don't mind. For obvious reasons, I'm now completely sick of the play-offs. A trip to Wembley in the JPT would be nice too. Don't fancy our chances away at Spurs in the next round of the FA Cup though. Still, the gate revenue and TV money all goes in the kitty, which must be pretty hefty by this stage.

Rudi Voller

• Plantmonster
« Reply #572 on: 03 Jan 2010, 14:58 »

I think that you probably have the edge on Charlton, but Norwich  (or Holt and Hoolahan if you prefer) look pretty much unstoppable at present. Leeds' main problem seems to be that they still have to travel to most of their rivals, so their run in is as hard as it could be. It'll come down to you against Norwich I reckon. Both would have won at a canter in any other year.

Think losing at Spurs is the best that could happen to Leeds. Get another payday, which is always helpful, and you don't run the risk of an extended cup run tiring your team.

I really enjoyed watching Leeds play today, and definitely hope they go up now, so best of luck. Still don't think you'll need too much of it.

Ptommydski

« Reply #573 on: 03 Jan 2010, 15:05 »

Essentially, the gap between us and Norwich is academic because I don't see any points from these upcoming fixtures -

Swindon (A)
Huddersfield (A)
Southampton (A)
Norwich (A)
Charlton (A)

Probably a few draws on the road to come, maybe a loss or two as well. If Norwich drop any points at all I'll be amazed. Maybe someone will swoop in for Holt and/or Hoolahan. If so, I hope it's Leeds!

Ptommydski

« Reply #574 on: 03 Jan 2010, 15:12 »

I just don't want this day to end -

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #575 on: 03 Jan 2010, 15:54 »

It was nice of the Giants D to come through for me like that. I knew they had it in 'em.

good lord that game was hilarious
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #576 on: 03 Jan 2010, 16:08 »

The sad thing is that Eli really played his ass off this year once you factor in the nagging injury. Overall, they had a decent year offensively, but that defense hasn't stopped anyone but the 'Skins in weeks now.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #577 on: 03 Jan 2010, 16:12 »

Seems like there are more blowouts this week than usual - Buffalo reamed Indy 30-7, Dallas is up on Philly 24-0, and the Pack pounded Arizona 33-7. Hell, even the Chiefs are rompin' the Broncos 44-24. It's like half the league didn't even show up. Which would be understandable, if most of the teams getting creamed weren't fighting for playoff spots.

Well, except for the Colts, but whatever.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #578 on: 03 Jan 2010, 16:27 »

Packers-Cardinals needs to be taken with a grain of salt though, what with Warner's concussion and Cromartie getting banged up early. Arizona was sitting an awful lot of starters for a big chunk of the game. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it pays off.

I will say that the Packers are a pretty scary team now that that their young offensive line has figured out how to run block pretty well as opposed to straight being incompetent in all phases of the game. I always liked Rodgers and their receivers (Hell, I built my championship fantasy team around them) but I was deathly afraid that the o-line wouldn't figure things out by the end of the season at one point. They were historically bad for a solid month.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #579 on: 03 Jan 2010, 16:40 »

Ah, that's true. Over here they're just airing the Titans-Hawks, so I'm missing all the little details like that. And I only watched until Johnson broke 2,000 anyway. Probably like most of the football fans out here.

Packers might be the surprise wild card team this year, like the Giants were when they went to the Bowl. And the Saints have lost three straight against less-than-mediocre teams. Given Dallas' history, it seems like the only other real NFC contenders are a battered Arizona team and the hot-and-cold Eagles. And if Green Bay ends up against the Minnesota for a third time, they'll be out for blood. 0-3 against one team in one season is just plain ugly.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #580 on: 03 Jan 2010, 17:02 »

Charles Woodson tweaked his shoulder too; I don't like the Packers chances in the playoffs at all if it turns out that he can't play, since there really isn't any true "grind it out" defensively minded teams in the NFC playoffs this year, so you can't really sneak through a round or two thanks to lucky matchups on that end. Absolutely everyone is capable of doing some real damage through the air. Hell, you could argue that Dallas is the least passing oriented team in the playoffs right now, but even that's only just because they have a balls out ridiculous running back committee.
« Last Edit: 03 Jan 2010, 17:06 by Alex C »

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #581 on: 03 Jan 2010, 17:06 »

If the conference championship for the NFC turns into an arena football game I will enjoy it so much. More so than Eagles v. Giants, 45-38.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #582 on: 03 Jan 2010, 17:55 »

I have to admit I had a little bit higher hopes going into this season than ending up 8-8, but there are some positives to take out of it. Most notably, Vernon Davis going from overpriced and underperforming to one of the best tight ends in the league. But also: Alex Smith rising from the grave and showing signs that he might just be a legitimate NFL starting quarterback, Frank Gore getting a fourth consecutive 1000-yard season despite mediocre blocking and missing three games, and the defense forcing absolute tons of turnovers in crucial games. Patrick Willis is still the best damn linebacker in the NFL, maybe the best overall defensive player.

But this is the offseason that will make or break Scott McLaughlin's career in San Francisco, as far as I'm concerned. The Niners will have two picks in the middle of the first round, so if he can't do something with this draft then I think he has to go. We need help on both lines (but who doesn't, really?), and we could use one more good defensive back. They have a core group to build on, but Smith needs to keep improving and the offensive line needs to get better at the very least for this team to be a contender again. Still, snapping the losing season streak is a start and Singletary has the team playing harder than they have in years.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Kill.kenada

• Lucky Blue Suit
« Reply #583 on: 04 Jan 2010, 06:33 »

I have decided that the referee had merely observed that it was more of an advantage to Leeds to keep him on the pitch since he was having such a bad game.

He was our best player.

Ptommydski

« Reply #584 on: 04 Jan 2010, 07:02 »

The whole build up to the goal can be seen here. Naylor (Leeds born, Captain) battles it away from the Scum players and knocks it to Howson (Leeds born, Vice-Captain) who plays that wonderful fifty yard pass through to Beckford.

I can't emphasise how happy this made me, I woke up laughing in my sleep this morning. Incredible.

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface
« Reply #585 on: 04 Jan 2010, 21:36 »

HEY!  LISTEN!  My uni just won the Fiesta Bowl ('Merican Football)

This is pretty nifty.

Ptommydski

« Reply #586 on: 05 Jan 2010, 16:33 »

« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2010, 01:43 by Ptommydski »

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #587 on: 05 Jan 2010, 18:13 »

hahah, gary chuckle.
quality.

Ptommydski

« Reply #588 on: 06 Jan 2010, 01:07 »

This one is even better. Leeds skipper Richard Naylor (also a lifelong Leeds fan) on Wayne Rooney -

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #589 on: 06 Jan 2010, 01:19 »

Subtle!

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #590 on: 10 Jan 2010, 18:12 »

96 points scored in the Packers-Cardinals game. what

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #591 on: 10 Jan 2010, 19:02 »

I'm not really surprised, tbh. Like I said earlier, every offense in the NFC playoffs has some serious firepower available, and none of 'em have a defense that particularly impresses me. You can run on the Saints, for example, and the Vikings are good at forcing 3 and outs and getting sacks but they're curiously vulnerable to big plays. Like Scarred said, this could end up like Arena Football.

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #592 on: 10 Jan 2010, 19:05 »

Or maybe even LFL.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #593 on: 10 Jan 2010, 19:53 »

As long as it doesn't end up the XFL.

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #594 on: 10 Jan 2010, 20:30 »

Typical. Green Bay's defense has been rock solid all season long. Comes play-off time they all decide to take the night off. <_<

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #595 on: 17 Jan 2010, 11:40 »

God, I hate Brad Childress. He makes me crazy. Even up 14 to 3, with seconds to go in the half and the ball in our possession, he manages to scare the hell out of me. We didn't get burned, but really, why the hell would you give Dallas the ball back like that? There was no god damn reason to do what he did! It was just a silly risk! He really is the turd floating in the punch bowl of this Vikings' season.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #596 on: 17 Jan 2010, 11:49 »

On the other hand, the vikings are up 14 points so, you know, he must be doing something right ...
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #597 on: 17 Jan 2010, 13:06 »

He is like Andy Reid 2.0-- he is good at teaching an offense and he apparently works well with the front office when it comes to picking young players who should be able to fit into his offensive system. It is clear that he understands a lot about football. But with that said, he sucks at clock management and he also might as well light his challenge flags on fire before every game for all the good they do him. His teams always seem to be slow to make adjustments as well, since it's very rare that the Vikings play better in the second half of a game than in the first. Plus, you have to keep in mind that Leslie Frazier basically runs that defense from the ground up, so it's hard to give Childress much credit on that end, since Frazier is pretty likely to be a head coach himself at some point.

Basically, what I'm saying here is that Brad Childress sometimes randomly takes things away from the table, and when he does so it tends to be an inexplicable and dramatic fashion. For all his virtues as a teacher, once game day rolls around I never feel safe.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #598 on: 17 Jan 2010, 13:10 »

Still, congratulations, your team won in spectacular fashion.

I enjoyed this game. Good football and seeing Romo in trouble again and again really made my weekend. It might be trivial but I really think he's a bit of a pratt. Anyway ... Jets - Bolts next.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #599 on: 17 Jan 2010, 13:15 »

I was actually pretty confident in this game for two closely intertwined reasons:

1. Vegas set this game to be close.

2. Everyone I knew seemed to be all over the Cowboys since they looked good last week and because they finished the season strong.

And as we all know, Vegas routinely fleeces the hell out of people. The public is often wrong and it often seems that the popular favorite just about always ends up going down in flames in this situation and Vegas ends up making eighty kajillion dollars. Was that a really well thought out logical reason to be down on the Cowboys? Nah. But sports isn't really about logic anyway, so I felt pretty good. Honestly, I feel a bit like order has been upheld in the universe-- it's too early for the Vikes to really choke yet anyway.
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2010, 13:17 by Alex C »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 76   Go Up