THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aion Online  (Read 14051 times)

morbid79

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I like to work.
    • laccetti
Aion Online
« on: 23 Sep 2009, 07:28 »

Anybody else snag this?
King Lemon

messeduplilkid

• Larger than most fish
    • TheRoarer.
Re: Aion Online
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2009, 01:21 »

Deleted WoW off my computer. Edit: (I had to reroll on another server) I am a level 14 Cleric on Kaisinel, Taioki.

Edit:  And I want to preface this thread by saying, "guys... they are two different games that have similar aspects but deliver to different niches' in the mmo-world." Let's just talk about Aion: it's pros and cons (sure even in relation to other games), but let's not degrade into name calling and trash talking.

So, in and of itself, it is beautiful in a multitude of different ways. The art is beautiful. The character customization is beautiful. Getting the opportunity to be clever with flight is beautiful. I haven't gotten the opportunity to really pvp yet.. Mostly grinding right now, and I'm perfectly happy to do it.

Why? Because I believe in the end, when I get to later content, the world will open up. When I hit level 10, it was like the game completely changed. It only takes a few hours to really level to 10, so it's not like you're investing all your time into a character only to find out it's not your deal. You find out pretty quickly what you like to do in the game and what you don't. And most people that will come into Aion will be migrating from other games.

It's been out in Korea for a year. It's been out in China for a tad.  With my expectations set high because of how dynamically the world changed at 10, I'm eager for the next tier of levels.

Gripes ahead:

-No mouseover macro... as a healer, this was the way I preferred to heal, cc, interrupt, ect,... I'm getting the hang of being         clunky and unintuitive and clicking on people to heal... But... yeah... I really hope they add mouse over macros.

-Okay, maybe all together I don't like default UIs. I wish I had free-reign over the user interface.

-Grind-tastic. We will see how this unfolds.

-Voiceovers not syncing well in cutscenes..... this REALLY bothered me for some reason.

-Reminds me a bit too much of Guild Wars... and that's okay for some people... Just not my cup of tea.

-Hard-core pvpers will take advantage of the character customization to make tiny, tiny, tiny characters.

Pros:

-Character customization is exciting enough to spend waaaaaaayyyy to long on your character. It's not as expansive as Champions looked, but it's very nice.

-Reminds me so much of Asheron's Call. Obelisks are like Lifestones. When the server lags, you rubber band exactly as you did in Asheron's Call. Characters can have their own in-game store, reminds me so much of Subway in Arwic. Tons... and TONS of people, everywhere. I think I need to take a step back from trying to power level, maybe socialize a bit more. Maybe make a legion and carve out a place somewhere when we take a break from murdering Asmodian.

-Water... Jesus the water looks beautiful. The little fish swim around my feet!

-Chain abilities. I found myself using chain abilities inside of effecient rotations, and it went on to flow really well.

-Speaking of flow, combat takes a step back from fast paced global cooldown lock'd hysteria. The game really slows down, but flows so much better then WoW. But this might change once we get to level 50 and we're all duking it out in the Abyss.  

Conclusion: I deleted WoW.

« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2009, 11:01 by messeduplilkid »

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2009, 12:00 »

instead of using yr free time to talk about the game, shouldn't you be grinding  :?

is that not what you guys do
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2009, 12:24 »

I really don't like Aion's art style. It makes me think of the shitty CGI they plaster onto GPUs.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2009, 12:50 »

Luckily I get to post before this turns into a WoW > other mmos.

Also, this comes across as amazingly arrogant because you're basically dismissing other people's opinions before they have an opportunity make them.

Kana

• Plantmonster
« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2009, 12:54 »

We (legion) decided to set up on the Zikel server Elyosean side.  Turns out everybody else chose the Zikel server as well. Its been locked so many times we've had members had to wait a day or two to get a character on the server.

Overall I'm happy with the game thus far.  I'm a 25 Gladiator and so far have only seen a few things I'd prefer tweaked.  I really enjoy the grind as I hope it deters most people from WoW.  I come from FFXI and Lineage II so this is a nice medium between the two.

Anyhow, the game is very enjoyable and with the Crytek engine is extremely beautiful.  :)

Also in regards to Alex C's post.

I will say that I have NEVER seen so much trolling and absolutely dysfunctional/childish behavior than from the WoW population trolling the chats horribly.  Its been ridiculous and makes you have to mute several channels because all they want to do is argue how much more superior WoW is to Aion.  I don't understand if that's a problem why they shouldn't just stay in WoW then.
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2009, 12:55 by Kana »

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2009, 12:57 »

Right. This also isn't Aion or WoW, it's the QC forums. It's generally not considered good form to come in and say "Well, I'm glad I get to post before this turns to shit."

Kana

• Plantmonster
« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2009, 12:59 »

We're in a subforum of the QC forums specifically dedicated to Computers & Video Games.  And if you haven't seen some of the other threads they get ridiculous.  Halo 3 ODST thread comes to mind with all the bullshit and trampling over someone's post who was just trying to show a trailer they thought was awesome.

It's his post in the right forums and he's well within reasonable to say 'before this turns into some stupid hate mongering' just like all the other threads.  You're just trolling.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2009, 13:01 »

That's one way to look at it.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2009, 13:07 »

More reasonably, you might want to assume that I haven't seen the ODST thread, because I haven't posted in it. I don't really care if Fortebass came back from his long hiatus to personally shit on someone who posted in the ODST thread, (okay, that's a lie, I'd totally read that) really, since I'm an independent entity and don't really care much for Halo. I just call people on things when I think they've posted thoughtlessly, that's all.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2009, 13:09 »

yo alex may i offer you a high-five
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2009, 13:17 »

I don't really know if I deserve a high-five, since the whole shit thread thing basically became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

On the other hand, I've never been one to turn down a high-five.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2009, 14:48 »

I'll accept his high five for him.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #13 on: 24 Sep 2009, 14:59 »

Someone's who's Facebook friends should petition Chuck to make a dramatic return to shit talk every single thread in this subforum.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #14 on: 24 Sep 2009, 15:49 »

That would be pretty epic. I mean, I'd be a casualty for sure, but still.

morbid79

• I like to work.
    • laccetti
« Reply #15 on: 24 Sep 2009, 18:15 »

Me, I just want people to play with.

Hurr.
King Lemon

messeduplilkid

• Larger than most fish
    • TheRoarer.
« Reply #16 on: 24 Sep 2009, 19:30 »

Alex!

Please don't mistake that comment as arrogance, but you have to admit that when it comes to mmo's ( generally in my experience) there's always someone that comes in and starts talking trash in accordance to being loyal to World of Warcraft.

I happened to be up really early in the morning and saw Morbid's post, and I thought I'd throw my two cents in before someone read, "WoW is so much better because it's not like anime!" or something similar. And loyalty is great, but... if the person is a WoW fantatic... and hasn't played both Aion and WoW... well... do they really have any productive criticism?

I thought it'd be a good way to open a thread saying, "Let's not compare apples to oranges". Sure they're both mmo-s because they aren't targeted at the same audience. Can you honestly say WoW can say their best feature is their pvp? For the most part it's all about getting to max level and raiding.

So I think I may edit my post to make it a bit more clear that I just didn't want this to turn into a MMO-zealot war.

Also, Kana thanks for posting in my defense!

Sorry to cause troubles.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #17 on: 24 Sep 2009, 22:54 »

Okay, so for the sake of argument, what does Aion Online do any better than World of Warcraft? I played WoW for about a month and didn't enjoy it, but from what I've read it still has every other MMO beaten by a landslide.

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #18 on: 24 Sep 2009, 23:57 »

Also, is there any kind of free trial? Tired as hell of buying games without knowing what I'm geting.
Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
-Isaac Asimov

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #19 on: 25 Sep 2009, 04:52 »

but from what I've read it still has every other MMO beaten by a landslide.

The reason that WoW has done this is because Blizzard was an already established company with established titles (Warcraft) that people knew and already had a history of making pretty okay online RPGs (Diablo II). They had the numbers on their side and it was such success that it continues to dominate because of that.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #20 on: 25 Sep 2009, 05:07 »

That might account for the large numbers of user from the beginning. But to be able to keep people for 5 years must be the fact that they deliver what a majority want's.

NVM me, this is off topic. My last question still stands.
Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
-Isaac Asimov

morbid79

• I like to work.
    • laccetti
« Reply #21 on: 25 Sep 2009, 05:17 »

Don't think Aion has a free trial yet - the servers are pretty overloaded, so I think they are going to wait for things to stabilize before they do that.
King Lemon

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #22 on: 25 Sep 2009, 09:55 »

The reason that WoW has done this is because Blizzard was an already established company with established titles (Warcraft) that people knew and already had a history of making pretty okay online RPGs (Diablo II). They had the numbers on their side and it was such success that it continues to dominate because of that.

That logic makes almost no sense. While Blizzard was well known at that point and they had some minor experience with Battlenet, that logic falls completely flat when considering the fact that Star Wars Galaxies was made from a license with a MUCH bigger fanbase and was supported by what was pretty much THE premiere MMO company out there in Sony Online Entertainment. It also beat out the much more recognizable Final Fantasy XI and the serquel to what was previously the biggest MMO of all time in Everquest II. All of the above also predated WoW, giving them a head start to utilize said history and reputation.

To say that WoW has been succesful because it was put out by a successful company with tangential experience in a completely different kind of online gaming (Saying Blizzard had success because of Diablo 2's online support is like saying a Madden MMO would do well because they have the same relevant experience in online gaming) is a complete logical fallacy. WoW did well because it was good. The only ancillary contribution to its success was SWG, what was about the most popular in the year leading up to WoW, went out of its way to go from intriguing and interesting experience to utter shit.

On the topic of Aion, I MIGHT give it a look if they put up a completely free trial. As it stands, I'm not paying $75 to try out a game I know next to nothing about. Aion could be the biggest new thing, but their marketing in the US is a bit lacking at this point. It kind of feels like that episode of SImpsons with Gabbo. I see Aion ads plastered everywhere, but have yet to see anything compelling me to curiosity.
JON MADE ME GAY

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #23 on: 25 Sep 2009, 11:44 »

Alright Jon, you may be right about most of that, but I still think that when WoW first came out it was because it was attracting a crowd already playing the game. There weren't Star Wars FPS games that people were still playing competitively, most of the star wars fans were in their 30s to 40s when the game came out, and they aren't the target audience. Maybe WoW is good. I've quit playing it 3 different times because I got bored. Then again, I was spoiled by how fun/social City of Heroes was right from the get go. WoW didn't have that for me. I understand there are a lot of people that like it for what it is though.

I do agree with you that I won't play any game that doesn't come with a completely free trial any more. I'm not in a position where I want to spend money on a game that is ultimately not fun for me.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #24 on: 25 Sep 2009, 12:39 »

That's just not true, Jace. Galaxies dropped right at about the peak of Star Wars' licensing potential (Between the second and third prequels) and pretty much everything Star Wars was selling like mad. As far as the FPS games, well, no one was playing any Blizzard FPS actually, but the two most recent Jedi Knight games both came out inside of about a year of Star Wars Galaxies.

I can understand if you don't like WoW. Personally, I found CoH to be the most boring grindfest this side of FF XI (When the most fun part of your game is the character customization, you've fucked up somewhere), but there's no real reason WoW succeeded outside of being the best and most accessible overall MMO on the market. It had nothing to do with name recognition (As Sony and Square both had much wider name recognition back then) or any lack of alternative product (As FF XI, SWG, EQ 2 and CoH ALL predated Wow by about six months to a year).
JON MADE ME GAY

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #25 on: 25 Sep 2009, 13:02 »

I actually forgot about the second trilogy. I am not even kidding you that I forgot about that. Looks like I'm wrong. I really should stick to discussions about miniature painting. That is where I will never be wrong.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #26 on: 25 Sep 2009, 13:21 »

That belt would've looked better in silver. You suck at everything, Jace.
JON MADE ME GAY

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #27 on: 25 Sep 2009, 13:44 »

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUU

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #28 on: 25 Sep 2009, 20:12 »

Someone's who's Facebook friends should petition Chuck to make a dramatic return to shit talk every single thread in this subforum.

I talk to him pretty much every day. I don't think he'd come back, to be honest, but uhm, I'll send him in the direction of these posts.
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #29 on: 25 Sep 2009, 21:20 »

Okay, so for the sake of argument, what does Aion Online do any better than World of Warcraft?

character customization for sure.

other than that, eh.  aion is pretty (i played it during closed beta) but i really don't have the time to devote to multiple mmo's.  good thing i didn't spend my own money on it.
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

messeduplilkid

• Larger than most fish
    • TheRoarer.
« Reply #30 on: 26 Sep 2009, 10:58 »

Okay, so for the sake of argument, what does Aion Online do any better than World of Warcraft? I played WoW for about a month and didn't enjoy it, but from what I've read it still has every other MMO beaten by a landslide.

Okay since you're asking for a direct comparison.... I'd say it's a little to early to tell. But some of the things I like more then WoW:

Combat is flows, but is slowed down enough that I can see strategy REALLY coming into play with PVP.

Grinding, while present, will change almost every 10 levels. The first 10 levels are grindtastic, but 10 and 20 really evolves once you have wings and start partying up for harder content in the area you're questing at. APPARENTLY at level 20 you get to start gaining xp for pvp and pve encounters.

To ride on the previous statement, you get to experience END game content at level 20. You don't have to hit max level to experience end game content. SURE, it won't be a fulfilling experience since you'll probably get one-shot. But they give you the opportunity to help.  This really opens me up to enjoying the game. The moment I read that I stopped trying to powerlevel and started to explore a bit. Something I never got to do in WoW, because you're constantly remembering that it's all about Max Level.

Gear. When I played WoW gear looked awful from 1-79, until you did REALLY well in pvp,  were a casual and would grind out heroics for badges, or you did the newest content. And even then, you looked exactly the same as anyone else.  In Aion you can transform the look of gear in two ways: you sacrifice a piece of gear you like and combine it with a piece of gear that looks bad with your set, but you keep the stats. OR you can dye the item. I'm pretty sure you can do this sorta thing at level 25 or 30. So fairly early on. On top of the character creation which is appalling how detailed.... You get to look beautiful or unique. You get to choose the way you wana look.

Edit: Also Ncsoft hasn't redone old content to put into current end-game. Sure the game is new... but I still think that's a mark against WoW.

If you haven't watched the podcasts:

http://na.aiononline.com/board/videos/list

please do, they're pretty informative. They'll give you a good idea of whether you want to play Aion.

Like I said, I don't want to turn it into an Aion vs other mmos. Because when I quit WoW, I didn't try to drag my friends away that are perfectly content with WoW. But if you're having issues with an mmo your playing: be it Eve or Guild Wars or even WoW, you should at least look into Aion, because it's a nice place to be.

(didn't check for [my already poor] grammar or typos. Will be back later once I eat something to make sure I don't sound REALLY dumb. I hope this makes a bit of sense.)

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #31 on: 26 Sep 2009, 11:27 »

Um. Most of that isn't any different from WoW and the only one that's majorly different is completely aesthetic and a rather shallow way to judge a game:

Strategy often comes into play in PVP. As a consistent PVPer, I can assure you you won't get anywhere in most PVP without some kind of strategy.

The ten levels thing applies to just about every MMO ever. I've yet to play a class in WoW that doesn't change dramatically every ten or so levels.

As for the experiencing end-game content thing, in what way do you mean? You said you contribute, but you didn't say how you contribute.

The gear thing is, admittedly a pet peeve of mine and I've actually considered how neat it would be if you could transfer stats onto another item for the sake of diversity (And I seem to recall that being considered by the devs before), but again, purely aesthetic and no, in my opinion, particularly worthwhile of a difference.
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #32 on: 26 Sep 2009, 12:26 »

The problem with having a rational discussion about MMOs is that aside from aesthetics, the biggest differences usually come down to the UI, general grindiness and what aspects of the game (PvE, small scale PvP, GvG/RvR PvP, etc.) they choose to emphasize as the endgame. The last one is the issue I'm most curious about; I already know I'm not a huge fan of the game's look and the inability to mod it probably means I wouldn't care too much for the UI, either. I love me some mods.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #33 on: 26 Sep 2009, 17:59 »

The problem with having a rational discussion about MMOs is that aside from aesthetics, the biggest differences usually come down to the UI, general grindiness and what aspects of the game (PvE, small scale PvP, GvG/RvR PvP, etc.) they choose to emphasize as the endgame

Which is precisely why I asked, Alex. I'm no fan of MMOs -- I find them universally boring and tedious, and this thread is actually supporting my beliefs. It's quite interesting to force a comparison between two very similar things with people who have a very obvious bias.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #34 on: 26 Sep 2009, 20:08 »

Even as an avid MMO player, I can admit that they're all essentially the same thing.

Why do I play WoW? Cause other people actually play it and that doesn't appear likely to change anytime soon. I imagine it'd be frustrating to level a character to end game in an MMO only to discover there's no one else playing it.
JON MADE ME GAY

morbid79

• I like to work.
    • laccetti
« Reply #35 on: 26 Sep 2009, 20:11 »

Still playing EVE, just grinding my way up to level 10 in Aion.  Liked GW, hated the lvl 20 (waaay back) cap - and the startling lack of breadth in terms of skills.  Aion seems to have a good selection of stuff.

And I've never played WoW, so hah.
King Lemon

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #36 on: 26 Sep 2009, 21:08 »

Man I don't understand how EVE is any fun.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

messeduplilkid

• Larger than most fish
    • TheRoarer.
« Reply #37 on: 27 Sep 2009, 01:41 »

Even as an avid MMO player, I can admit that they're all essentially the same thing.

Why do I play WoW? Cause other people actually play it and that doesn't appear likely to change anytime soon. I imagine it'd be frustrating to level a character to end game in an MMO only to discover there's no one else playing it.

*shrug* 4 million active subscriptions in Asia. Who knows how well it'll do in America. Things ARE looking up though in terms of subscriptions, but only time will tell. I've leveled 5 characters to max (1 in vanilla, 1 in BC, and 3 in Wrath.) and played end game in all through it. If you can say anything besides max level in WoW matters, then I think that's why we have such different opinions. Because I've never looked at WoW from the perspective of the level I was at. I looked at it as if, "I'm not max level, I'm not playing the game." And even then it's not all that exciting.  But maybe that's just my jaded experience and that's why I'm playing Aion now.

Sure you can say there are similarities to WoW and Aion, but I mentioned the differences. I've played both now, and I mentioned it:

You can't transform gear in WoW. You can't participate in end game content in WoW at low levels. And Endgame content in WoW is fractured between broken pvp and encounters that are boring in pve. 

As a shaman (in wow obviously), you used to get a totem every ten levels.... Placing a totem isn't REALLY game breaking. Getting Bloodlust at level 70 isn't all that game breaking. Druids get new forms every 10 levels...but there are only 4 forms (not including moonkin or tree which you have to spec into deep balance or restoration). And all during that leveling you're grinding away trying to hit max level, in ugly gear, to experience mediocre (and now reused) content.

I absolutely think Aesthetics in an mmo matter. I care about textures on armor. I care that my character is appealing to the eye. I enjoy having a completely unique character, which the possibility of someone making the same face, body, and armor set is pretty much nil.

So right now I'm enjoying my unique/personal character in Aion. I'm enjoying the modularity of 3 dimensional game play. I'm enjoying slowed down, strategic combat.

I'm 18 in Aion. I'm two levels before seeing if things change again. I'll report back. I played WoW because it was fun. I'm now playing Aion because I'm enjoying it much more.

err... is there anything wrong with that? Different games, different niches. I've already told a bunch of my WoW friends not to come over just because a few of us have made the switch. They're happy with the WoW, and if they're content there really isn't a reason to come over. You'll constantly be making comparisons between the two games, and trying to poke holes in a brand-spanking-new game.

Things will change in Aion, probably for the better over time. Look at Age of Conan. TONS of people are re-subscribing, because they made enormous overhauls to a game. I think Aion will definitely keep progressing around the spectrum of good/fun/pleasureable. In my experience, wow hasn't been doing that for me lately, and that's why I'm not playing it.

PS: Alex,I got a feeling the ui will become much more modular over time. I'm eagerly awaiting it too, I hate not having mouse-over abilities.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #38 on: 27 Sep 2009, 09:52 »

I'm still not understanding what exactly this endgame content is supposed to be. If anyone can take part in it I imagine it must be large scale pvp oriented.

Plus, you still seem a bit defensive about people making WoW comparisons, which you shouldn't be. Nobody expects you to apologize for playing Aion. Making WoW comparisons and "poking holes" is simply a way to contextualize things. People are going to make the comparison until they better understand what this "Different niches, different games," business actually means. Hell, I still don't really know what niche it fills other than angels vs. demons instead of orcs vs. humans.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #39 on: 27 Sep 2009, 13:41 »

The more defensive this thread comes, the more uncomfortable questions I will ask about your favorite video games.

Marauder_Pilot

• Plantmonster
  • Time for some thrillin' heroics.
« Reply #40 on: 27 Sep 2009, 15:18 »

I played a bit of Aion, and couldn't really get into it. It felt like a half-way mash between WoW and Guild Wars. I didn't like Guild Wars much, and I'm already way further ahead in WoW, so I'm sticking with it for the moment.

Still, here's the conversation I have about 3 times a day at work (EBGames):
'Do you have Aion?'
'Yes, $69.99.'
'Cool, I'll take one. I'm switching from WoW. Its gotten so boring, Aion is so much better in (Way #1, Way #2, Way #3). WoW's done for now!'
'Mmm-kay, whatever.'
And then I proceed to sell 5 copies of WoW and a dozen timecards in the same day...

Maybe I'm jaded, but I've seen the exact same scenario play out with Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Vangard, City of Heroes (when it re-released) and Lord of the Rings Online...suffice to say, it didn't happen, mainly because WoW could lose as many subscribers as all of them have combined and still lead any of them 3-to-one.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #41 on: 27 Sep 2009, 17:49 »

Like I said, there's almost no real legitimate difference between any of the big MMO's except for general aesthetics (Graphics, setting, etc). They all have the same play mechanics, the same concepts, the same real goals. WoW will continue to be the most popular out there until it is hilariously out of date, just like the original Everquest did.

I'm not even saying this as some WoW fanboy. I've only been into WoW for about a year now. I've played Star Wars Galaxies, Final Fantasy XI, Everquest II, City of Heroes, Lord of the Rings Online and Champions Online at different points and outside of the original build of Galaxies, every single one of them has been the exact same gameplay experience. I'm not asking these questions about Aion to knock the game, I'm asking them because I really think you're making it out to be something it's not because you have yet to give a tangible difference outside of aesthetics.
JON MADE ME GAY

Marauder_Pilot

• Plantmonster
  • Time for some thrillin' heroics.
« Reply #42 on: 28 Sep 2009, 12:03 »

It all comes down to the fact that because WoW is the thousand-pound gorilla in the room and everybody and their dog has played it, it's now 'cool' (Using the term REAL loosely here) to bash WoW in favour of...well, basically any new flavour of the month MMO. There are plenty of things WoW does poorly, and it's OK if you get bored of it and move on (And REALLY OK if you don't stand around the store for an hour talking about it), but the fact remains that it didn't get to damn near 12 million players (Even if a big chunk are gold farmers...) by being crappy.

Then again, that's not to say it's better then Aion, or Warhammer, or Age of Conan, or Lord of the Rings...they're all pretty much the same, WoW just got in first and the rest haven't given more then a few hundred thousand people good reasons to quit. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up