THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 21:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AA meeting  (Read 5577 times)

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
AA meeting
« on: 24 Sep 2009, 05:42 »

Welcome to the first audioholics anonymous meeting. The first step to confronting a problem is admitting you have one.
I know it's not an easy first step, so I'll go first...

My name is Darryl and I am an audioholic.

I guess it started when I was about 12 and I started listening to pop punk casually, with my friends. It's fairly harmless, y'know? Most of them grew out of it as they started going to college, getting jobs and stuff...
...but I didn't, I just kept at it...
Eventually pop punk wasn't enough and I needed something more. People began to notice something was up pretty quickly...I'd spend a lot of time in my room not talking to anybody. I was buying CDs, man. All kinds of CDs. I didn't even realise how bad it'd gotten until I dropped all my money on an ATDI album and spent the entire night on the bathroom floor. Every penny I had was being spent on music, I needed the next fix. If I wasn't listening to music, I was a wreck. I lost my friends, I alienated my family...I even sold all my videogames and a guitar in order to score some new music...
I was hooked. When I couldn't afford new music...
I even resorted to stealing. Just booting up the old soulseek and stealing music while nobody was watching. Using photocopied moneys, stealing cash from old people, selling all my parent's furniture, Anything for that next hit. Morally reprehensible, but I didn't care, I needed it. I lived on the streets for a while with some honkies downtown. One of us scored some Modest Mouse and we listened to it under the bridge. It was the middle of November and I got hypothermia. They called an ambulance and dumped me at the side of the road. It was when I was lying there in hospital I was forced to admit I have a problem.
Now I've done myself permanent damage and I want to get clean. It's the single biggest problem in my life and I know that confronting it like this is the only way I'm going to get better. I ruined my life and the lives of those around me.

Okay, if any of you want to share your stories or tell us about your addiction, just come to the front and share with us. We won't judge you, we're all friends here.

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
Re: AA meeting
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2009, 20:19 »

I record the music straight off of the radio and then use it to make my own radio show using this;

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2009, 21:42 »

My name is Nick and I am an audioholic.

It first started in 8th grade. I had a 40 minute bus ride home from school, and being the socially inept introvert that I was at the time, I had no one to accompany me but my discman (yes this was back in the days before iPods, fuuuuck). I asked for nothing but CDs for birthday and Christmas and constantly weaseled money out of my parents for more. What little free time I had that wasn't spent masturbating or playing Starcraft online, I made mixes on iTunes. I listened to music for an hour or more every night in bed, before falling asleep. It was a horrible time, o my brothers.

Even a year later, when I burst onto the social scene, this breakout was helped very much by the fact that my newfound friends were accepting of my mix CDs, they even said they enjoyed them and would give me CDs of their own. At the same time, I discovered LimeWire, and soon I ventured forth into the realm of illegal downloading. That same year the first iPod came out. I was doomed.

Then salvation came. In the middle of a download of the Pavement discography the RIAA sent fourteen high-tech raiding parties into my home, brutally killing my younger brother and maiming my father in attempts to get at me, from behind the fortress of CD cases I'd built around my room. I poured molten Green Day CDs onto them from the flying buttresses. The siege lasted three days, but finally I was captured and brought to a rehabilitation facility in North Dakota. After multiple escape attempts, I was put in solitary confinement and forced to listen to nothing but Johann Sebastian Bach. 8 months later I was deemed fit for release, on the terms that I meet with this group once a month.

So, here I am. My hobbies include meditating, going for walks in the woods, and crying myself to sleep.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2009, 02:11 »

Guys, I'm here to support you all the way. I'm so proud of you for taking up the courage to come here today. I too was once addicted, but I've taken my life and my ears back.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2009, 02:24 »

I am an audioholic!

I am addicted to audiohol!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2009, 06:46 »

I have a confession to make. I messed up.
I know I'm supposed to cease contact with all my old friends, but I kept a few, y'know? Friend of mine got the Beatles remasters the other and invited me over to his place.
People dancing and shaking all over the place, eyes closed, just...y'know? All t'girls singing stuff.
Dude started listening to them way before anybody else arrived. Nobody even noticed he'd died of an overdose until the party fizzled out. Everybody left and it was just me and him. I called an ambulance but it was too late. Dude had more than his system could handle. Paramedics couldn't decide whether it was Rubber Soul or Revolver that finally did him in but he was dead before he reached Sgt. Pepper's, for sure.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2009, 09:32 »

Denial is more than just a technical death metal band, Jens.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #7 on: 25 Sep 2009, 09:59 »

He's right my friend. We all know how hard it is to admit, but you should feel lucky they caught up to you when they did. You sound like I was five or six years back but I thought I was smoother than a Michael McDonald vocal, always one step ahead. Cut forward a few years and I wasn't just using, I was dealing on the side to support my habit. Not just the soft stuff either, heavyweight vinyl. Some of this shit was double LPs. Hell, I'm not proud of this and I wouldn't admit it anywhere but here but I dealt a few records... well, let's just say they weren't even in English. I think we all know what I'm talking about. I ended up having to start coming to these meetings on the inside after they grabbed me selling out of press nineties screamo to some cops in a sting. Don't let that be you too.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:22 »

I remember a camping trip I went on almost a year ago now, all remote and in the woods, just me and a buddy. Well, we thought it'd make the trip more interesting if we had some music, y'know, to get away from everything and just relax with a few albums. I had this cheap little mp3 player I got, said "not for audio consumption" on it so they could get away with selling it in the shop. I managed to splice a tinny little speaker onto the output so we could both listen to it and I just remember lying there, shivering, out of my mind on some Hawkwind cranked up to full volume, half audible because of how pathetic the little speaker was and god how sad is that? To put yourself into that state for about two days because you think it's cool or interesting. I don't know. I've changed now, I'm happy. Sometimes I'll hear some music blaring out of a car as it drives past or see someone hunched over in the street, earphone cables trailing into their clenched hands and think how lucky I am now to have gotten past all that.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2009, 16:27 »

I ended up having to start coming to these meetings on the inside after they grabbed me selling out of press nineties screamo to some cops in a sting. Don't let that be you too.

let me guess they got you on the max colby/shotmaker split?
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2009, 17:03 »

You know it. I'd heard the stories that the cops are always asking about that one when they're undercover, but I thought it was just rumours you know? Could have been worse though, my mate managed to flush the For Want Of comp before they kicked the bathroom door down.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #11 on: 29 Sep 2009, 02:38 »

after 5 years my mp3 player broke 3 days in and i'm already suffering from withdrawal considering biting the bullet and buying an apple product
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #12 on: 29 Sep 2009, 03:53 »

goddamnit I spent more money on wax than on drugs this week again. my momma told me I'd never come good and I guess I proved her right where the fuck are my priorities gotta move back into my parents house detox and get three square lines of cocaine a day
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #13 on: 29 Sep 2009, 07:03 »

Heroin is probably the easiest way to quit music.
Pages: [1]   Go Up