THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 08:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Horror Discussion Thread  (Read 19783 times)

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Re: Theory: Wes Craven is a goddamn hack.
« Reply #50 on: 09 Oct 2009, 07:22 »

...Sam Raimi?

And I'd cite In The Mouth Of Madness as one of the best Lovcraftian horror films. It's not based directly on anything he wrote, but his fingerprints are all over the flick.

I have a bad tendency to get people's last names mixed up, I meant Sam Neill.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
Re: The Horror Thread
« Reply #51 on: 09 Oct 2009, 07:27 »

I guess if you like Lovecraft, Stuart Gordon's a pretty ace director. I think he did Dreams in the Witch House for the Masters of Horror collection, he directed Reanimator and outside of Lovecraft he made the awesome black (black black) comedy Stuck, which is based on that story some years ago of the woman who ran someone over with her car and left him to die lodged in the windshield of her car for several days. It takes a bleak story and just makes it so much meaner.

I really want to see Stuck, I've always thought of Gordon as a real underrated filmmaker. Outside of Re-Animator, Dagon is another great Lovecraft adaptation (and much closer to the original story than Re-Animator). I also loooove a little-seen flick of his from the mid-90s called Castle Freak. Another in the long line of great Jeffrey Combs performances, with a terrific monster.

Yes, as a Lovecraft fan I think Gordon's probably the best theatrical interpreter of his work.  I loved how Dagon in Dagon is literally shown for less than a second—exactly how it should be.  And Dreams in the Witch House was pitch-perfect.

Which, frankly, makes his directing of The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit that much weirder.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

pogonrudie

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Dance like a gravedigger.
Re: The Horror Discussion Thread
« Reply #52 on: 09 Oct 2009, 14:04 »

Must...track down...

And while we're on the subject, has anyone seen his Fear Itself episode, "Eater"? (Does anyone else remember that show? Haha.) I watched it the other day thanks to FearNET OnDemand and it was awesome, clever and graphic and weird. One of the highest points of the series...would be the highest point if not for the great Larry Fessenden's "Skin & Bones".
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2009, 14:07 by pogonrudie »
band  /  facebook  /  flixster  /  last.fm

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #53 on: 09 Oct 2009, 15:41 »

Question:

1408?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #54 on: 09 Oct 2009, 16:25 »

awesome
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

pogonrudie

« Reply #55 on: 09 Oct 2009, 16:28 »

8/10 Good film, it smartly relies more on atmosphere than cheap jump-scares to build the dread. The fact that I've always had a hard-on for John Cusack may raise my opinion a bit (seriously, that guy? Love that guy)...but it's still one of the upper-tier King adaptations.

pogonrudie

« Reply #56 on: 09 Oct 2009, 16:29 »

And speaking of upper-tier King films, how about The Mist? My God, wasn't that a great little creature feature?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #57 on: 09 Oct 2009, 16:36 »

yeah, i really liked The Mist too, though alot of people seemed to dislike it.

the scene when they're driving in the car and there's...that thing (you know the one), hands down one of my favorite scenes from anything, ever.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #58 on: 09 Oct 2009, 17:10 »

If we're just gonna talk horror now, I've got to mention Let the Right One In. While not inherently "scary" it's still creepy as fuck and brilliantly made. One of my favorite movies of all time.

You don't have an idea how awful I feel about living in Sweden and I still haven't seen it. I have to get out of my cave sometimes. Music usually takes all my time and that's why I never see all the movies I want, and this one seems indeed brilliant maded.

One thing I find amusing is that all the swedish people I talked to about the movie thought that it was bad [with some exceptions fo course], but all the people outside the country says it's brilliant  :-D But I'm not swedish so what the heck.
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2009, 17:11 by Mr. Doctor »

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #59 on: 09 Oct 2009, 18:04 »

Poltergeist
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

pogonrudie

« Reply #60 on: 09 Oct 2009, 20:19 »

Tobe Hooper's best film?

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #61 on: 09 Oct 2009, 21:05 »

Probably! Though I haven't seen any others.

Mein Tumblr

pogonrudie

« Reply #62 on: 09 Oct 2009, 22:07 »

Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #63 on: 09 Oct 2009, 22:57 »

Nope

Mein Tumblr

FIXDIX

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Waka waka flocka flame
Re: Theory: Wes Craven is a goddamn hack.
« Reply #64 on: 10 Oct 2009, 03:28 »

...Sam Raimi?

Speaking of. I liked Drag Me To Hell a whole bunch. I have to say that I know nothing of horror as a genre in an analyitcal way, I thought it was just a good flick.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #65 on: 10 Oct 2009, 04:23 »

Texas Chainsaw Massacre? A good old slaughterfest, as I remember it. Having the guy's family in it was a nice twist.

But man, The Mist. Absolutely fucking brilliant. The best thing is, it was so close-minded. It didn't matter what was going on outside, in the rest of the world, or how it happened or whatever, all that mattered was the people inside that supermarket. And then the ending... Damn.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

pogonrudie

« Reply #66 on: 10 Oct 2009, 13:31 »

Yeah that ending really shocked me, which is fairly hard to do in horror films anymore.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #67 on: 14 Oct 2009, 04:34 »

Terence Fisher was a much better director than Mr. Craven. 
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Ikrik

« Reply #68 on: 14 Oct 2009, 09:42 »

Yeah that ending really shocked me, which is fairly hard to do in horror films anymore.

They took the script to Stephen King who looked at it, looked at them, and then said "man...I wish I had written that."
Yeah, the Mist is really, really amazing, I was completely blown away by it.  Big Budget Horror generally tends to be absolutely horrible.

Der Golem

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.ihavenowebsite.com
« Reply #69 on: 14 Oct 2009, 16:48 »

Really? I thought The Mist was pretty (very) bad (awful). The ending definately shocked me, in as much as I can not to this day find the words to describe how bad I thought it was.

Anyway, there was this film festival here last month, and I saw three "zombie movies". Quotations because two of them really are not zombie movies, despite the living dead being central to the plotlines. The only legitimate zombie flick was Dead Snow, the norwegian one about nazi zombies. I have heard a lot of complaints about that one, mainly that it does nothing but regurgitate tired horror cliches and I have to disagree. The movie is indeed full of cliches, but they are (nearly) all used flawlessly. It had some truly great scenes, was pretty funny, and the snowy mountains provided a great ambiance.

The other two movies both had great premises, and while I enjoyed both, they really were flawed films. Minor spoilers ahead meybe, but not really, just outlining the premises. The first one, Grace, is about a pregnant woman whose baby dies shortly before she gives birth. She carries the baby to term anyway, and miraculously the baby comes to life shortly after birth. We soon find out that the baby is special, and causes some unusual problems for the mother. My main complaint with this one is that it is really slow. Also, the extra characters were kind of plot device-y. But the movie features some pretty disturbing imagery. See it if you like the premise.

The final movie I'm going to talk about is called Deadgirl, and is about two highschool kids who find a bound girl in the basement of an abandoned mental institue. One decides to keep her as a sex slave. Then they find out she can't be killed. Wacky hijinks ensue. The story that is woven around this premise is a bit too high-school-drama for this to be a genuinely good movie, but iagain, if the premise sounds good to you, see it, for the perverse shock value. It has some excellent scenes and ideas.

pogonrudie

« Reply #70 on: 15 Oct 2009, 01:54 »

I've really been wanting to see Deadgirl...that's a real compelling premise for a horror flick, there.

And while I certainly had a good time with Dead Snow, it's true that the film doesn't have an original bone in it's celluloid body. But it's a cheap splatter-flick, who cares?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #71 on: 21 Oct 2009, 14:18 »

Hey guys, guess which movie I just saw? Copperhead. *SNRK*

Earl_of_slander

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #72 on: 27 Jun 2010, 12:52 »

I saw May yesterday, and i loved it. I have to agree it is one of the best horror films ever. Evil dead (1981) is another one of my favorite horror movies. When i saw it as a kid i almost shat in my pants. I still leak a little whenever i watch it.

Ikrik

« Reply #73 on: 27 Jun 2010, 17:06 »

Deadgirl has been sitting on my PS3 for a few months now, I've been kind of avoiding it.  From all the reviews I've read of it it's definitely quite dark and quite twisted, I don't know if that's just hype or whether it's really that bad.  I have a huge, huge problem with watching any kind of rape in film and so I'm not entirely sure whether or not I want to watch it at all.

Les Yeux Sans Visage (Eyes Without A Face) is a fantastic and old French horror film.  This doctor is trying to save his daughter whose face was horribly disfigured in an accident.  As a result we always see her wearing a mask.  I thought it was quite fantastic and the music is spot on.

Triangle is more of a thriller than a horror film but has got a few horror elements.  It's got this time loop thing going for it and I thought it was quite fantastic.  I'm not entirely sure if it'll hold up on repeat watches but the first time I watched it I was quite impressed by how everything was handled.

I also watched The Orphanage, that Spanish horror film from a few years ago that's considered to be utterly fantastic.  I thought it was utterly disappointing in almost every aspect that counts.  The concept is that this woman is starting up this orphanage again and she has this adopted son who has all these imaginary friends.  Spooky things happen and then her son disappears and the woman thinks that the ghosts are the ones who have him.  She then has to play a game in order to get him back.  The premise is really cool but the film plays on all the wrong elements, it spends too much time to get rolling and then the pacing is completely erratic.  Also I think that the non-supportive spouse is one of the single most annoying horror cliches that immediately come to mind along with no cell-phone reception and inept cops.  The ending to the film is, like all thriller films comes with a twist ending that's absolutely stupid and ruined whatever the film had going for it.

And finally I watched a wonderful French horror film called Inside.  It's about this pregnant woman who on Christmas eve, the day before she's supposed to give birth, who is terrorized by this woman who seems to know her quite well.  If you know anything about this new wave of French horror films you can expect there to be a healthy amount of gore.  A trend in horror that I find annoying, especially with most Hollywood garbage is that they have to amp up the tension to an insane degree and then show something shocking, which while effective for making you jump a little bit isn't all that scary.  This movie almost never does that; every scare is terrifying.  My girlfriend ended up watching the last 30 minutes of the film and was visibly trembling the entire time.

Earl_of_slander

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #74 on: 28 Jun 2010, 08:26 »

Eyes without a face is indeed a great movie. But i would rather call it a 'gothic' movie than horror movie. I loved the last scene - after the the girl whose face is disfigured releases the dogs and the dogs attack the doctor- where the girl lets go of the doves from the cage and walks away with a dove sitting on his wrist. Classic!

'Inside' sounds very interesting. I'm going to watch it, right after i watch Deadgirl. I've been meaning to watch Deadgirl forver
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2010, 08:28 by Earl_of_slander »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up