THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 09:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Thread for people who don't belong here  (Read 34586 times)

MarkTBSc

• Curry sauce
  • The pheasant has no agenda
Thread for people who don't belong here
« on: 27 Sep 2009, 08:30 »

Ok, firstly if you're a hipster who likes Neutral Milk Hotel, Modest Mouse, Slint or Sufjan Stevens then you shouldn't be here.

Likewise, if you wear ultra-skinny clothing, look half starved, have an Indy Rock look or, in general, identify with the lead characters in Questionable Content then this probably isn't for you.

This might sound weird but it's true. My name's Mark and I really don't belong here.

Questionable Content is an awesome web-comic. It's well drawn, funny, compelling and well written. Even people who aren't Indy music types can enjoy it. I enjoy it and I'm not even close to being Indy. I like Pop, Rock and Metal. Sure, classical too but Indy is really not my thing. I prefer music you could fight a war to. There's obviously nothing wrong with the Indy world but it's not for me. Or perhaps I should say Us, if this thread hasn't just slipped, un-noticed, off the bottom of the page.

This thread is for those Forumites who like QC but don't get half of what the Indy types say. We don't understand their humour, their taste in music and/or books and we often end up with them looking at us askance because we think we've said something funny but they just don't get it.

This thread is for those who enjoy a good web-comic, but are occasionally left feeling like morons. The Indy guys and girls have started in on 17th century French poetry, and that makes about as much sense to us as a discussion of the tactical merits of Mobile Infantry Marauder suits would make to them. Or maybe Nascar or Jets or whatever it is you like that doesn't quite mesh with their tastes.

Now... What happens next I wonder?
Unique Quarks - For when Antimatter just isn't destructive enough.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
Re: Thread for people who don't belong here
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2009, 08:49 »

That, and I'm not really sure any of us "belong here."  If you notice, some of us like sports, some of us like guns, and some of us like more "indie" subjects.  We have wide interests, and that's why I enjoy this forum.  It's a forum for people who don't belong.

edit: Not that I'm speaking for everybody here, this (yes, I just made a general reference error, get over it grammar nazis) is just what I've observed.
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2009, 08:52 by Bastardous Bassist »
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2009, 09:49 »

Ok, firstly if you're a hipster who likes Neutral Milk Hotel, Modest Mouse, Slint or Sufjan Stevens then you shouldn't be here.
Well I like Modest Mouse and Sufjan Stevens, but I don't really think I am a hipster.

Likewise, if you wear ultra-skinny clothing, look half starved, have an Indy Rock look or, in general, identify with the lead characters in Questionable Content then this probably isn't for you.

I look half starved and some of my clothes are ultra-skinny, but this is mostly not by choice.

This might sound weird but it's true. My name's Mark and I really don't belong here.

Cearly you don't.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2009, 09:55 »

I'll never understand this whole solidarity via excluding the other business.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2009, 09:56 »

Well, unless being "other" means being a jack ass, then I totally get it.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2009, 09:59 »

Now... What happens next I wonder?

This thread dies from lack of interest, I guess.  I mean, if you'd read any useful amount of this forum, you'd see that the thesis it's based on is simply false.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2009, 10:44 »

whatever hipster

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2009, 10:55 »

I prefer music you could fight a war to.

I agree with your taste in music :high five:

I also came to these forums because I liked the comic (and because the other forums I visit was filled with racist homophobic ignorant teenagers). I was wondering how a hipster forum would treat a frat boy/gym rat. It turns out people here are like people everywhere else. There are small cliques and groups, but mostly everyone is friendly and accepting so long as you don't come and throw off their whole routine.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2009, 11:24 »

What's that Venn Diagram that describes geeks, nerds, dorks, etc?

I think the only thing that brings the people on this forum together is that they at one point, and probably still, read QC. So if you read QC then you belong here!

There's probably as wide a variety of people on this forum as there is anywhere else, probably more, cause here we aren't necessarily limited by our social spheres.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2009, 11:32 »

Hey guys I'm going to go judge and exclude some people based on how I think they are instead of trying to talk to them and get to know them- aw shit I'm too late.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

MarkTBSc

• Curry sauce
« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2009, 11:46 »

Ok, so it sounds like aside from nobo, all I've managed to do is make myself even more of an outcast.

I guess I'll just dodge the hate by lurking and let the thread die.

TTFN all.

P.S. I wasn't trying to be down on anyone, I was simply attempting to offer a little solace to people who felt oppressed by the cliques. Reminds me of my school days.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2009, 11:54 »

Exactly. You aren't/weren't an outcast and it's likely nobody dislikes you. It'd be kinda hard for me to dislike you because I don't know you from Adam. That's why this thread is so misguided. You don't really know us very well yet and we don't know you very well yet, but you responded by making thread that's explicitly for some people and not for others. That's not a way to break down barriers between cliques. It's actually inserting an explicit rejection into a situation where there wasn't any before.
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2009, 11:56 by Alex C »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #13 on: 27 Sep 2009, 12:10 »

Hey guy, I don't hate you.

This is just silly is all.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Mnementh

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #14 on: 27 Sep 2009, 12:19 »

Just for the record, I hate all of you.
Polite. Professional. Has a plan.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #15 on: 27 Sep 2009, 12:30 »

Why won't any of you just accept me
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #16 on: 27 Sep 2009, 12:49 »

FIGHT THE OPPRESSION FUCK
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #17 on: 27 Sep 2009, 12:57 »

Let's exclude people from the maritimes.

MarkTBSc

• Curry sauce
« Reply #18 on: 27 Sep 2009, 13:04 »

The whole QC thing, to me, always felt like it was a home for Indy fans. I don't think that's unreasonable. Jeph's an Indy fan and there's a lot about it in the writing. I get that. I'm fine with that. I love the story and yeah, I don't always understand everything but I get the idea.

The forums... I have no idea about everyone. All I know is that I've seen a lot of people who seem to be similar - similar clothing styles, similar musical tastes, similar senses of humour - chatting and sharing jokes and talking about similar stuff and I just don't get it a lot of the time. I'll see an outfit and see everyone compliment it while I'm thinking "I really wouldn't wear that". I've told jokes and had them either ignored (You get used to that on forums) or just had people say "What the hell dude. No." and it all just feels like everyone else is part of this highly educated Indy clique and I'm this outsider. It's survivable but unpleasant. I'd like to be more on this forum than just a lurker who comes in for the funny pictures.

I can't be more unless I speak the same language as the people in that clique, but that would require me to change. To become more like the people I don't understand. They seem like nice people and I'm really happy they're around because they all seem good and decent. This forum has many less trolls and general evil-doers than most forums. But I don't want to be like them. I want to be like me. So the best way to gain relevance and to be more active on the board is to make friends with the other people who feel like me. Who want to chat and discuss etc. but don't speak the same language as the cliques. The best way I could see to find those people who, like me, lurk a whole lot because they're not really sure what to post... The best option was to create a thread targeted specifically at them.

Which I did.

However all I seem to have done is made enemies of people who feel excluded by my attempt to find other excluded people. Which I have to say must take special talent.

I seem to have skills. For my next trick I shall endeavour to turn a ham sandwich into poop.

evilbobthebob

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • They're talking about me of course
« Reply #19 on: 27 Sep 2009, 13:10 »

The only real group I've seen here is the bunch of regulars who all know each other by actual names. I've just stayed out of the threads where they all go nostalgic (When did you register? thread, prime suspect) and it's OK. I tend to just pretend I know what I'm talking about and hope no one calls me out on anything  :-D
http://www.last.fm/user/evilbobthebob <- Look I have no taste!

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #20 on: 27 Sep 2009, 13:21 »

You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

MarkTBSc

• Curry sauce
« Reply #21 on: 27 Sep 2009, 13:29 »

I tend to find that if something is labeled as Indy (Music, style, cinema) then I won't like it.

Except for QC. I like QC.

Ohhhhh that chiseled jaw has my heart all aflutter! (Although his Dad is better).

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #22 on: 27 Sep 2009, 13:35 »

Let's exclude people from the maritimes.

You mean that you guys haven't already been doing that for the past 60 years?
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #23 on: 27 Sep 2009, 13:38 »

But I don't want to be like them. I want to be like me.

= The absolute best way to fit in.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #24 on: 27 Sep 2009, 13:41 »

People have done the same thing with emo and goth. It makes a lot of conversations way more shrill and confusing than they really have to be.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #25 on: 27 Sep 2009, 13:42 »

'Indy" is a term you use for things you don't like. You find things you don't like and you label them "Indy". Do you see how this works now?

so is nickelback one of those indie bands i keep on hearing about?
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #26 on: 27 Sep 2009, 13:45 »

Ha!
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

nobo

« Reply #27 on: 27 Sep 2009, 13:49 »

I'd like to be more on this forum than just a lurker who comes in for the funny pictures.

why?

I can't be more unless I speak the same language as the people in that clique, but that would require me to change. To become more like the people I don't understand. They seem like nice people and I'm really happy they're around because they all seem good and decent. This forum has many less trolls and general evil-doers than most forums. But I don't want to be like them. I want to be like me. So the best way to gain relevance and to be more active on the board is to make friends with the other people who feel like me. Who want to chat and discuss etc. but don't speak the same language as the cliques.

I don't quite get what you want out of these forums. From what you're saying you want to be a relevant member of the forums dedicated to an indie web comic, even though you're not indie? why?

and, btw, I don't think most people on here are indie. or at least they don't think of themselves as indie. at least thats the impression I get. I had always thought indie had something to do with independent label bands. But I don't think thats the case.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #28 on: 27 Sep 2009, 13:53 »

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGH Please stop using that word

I will direct you to Tommy's previous post about the matter:

My suggestion is that you think there is this thing called "Indy" and thus you feel excluded because you are not an "Indy". The good news is you are not being excluded because there's no such thing. It's completely imaginary.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #29 on: 27 Sep 2009, 13:58 »

There exists a "hipster" and an "indie" crowd (to deny there are people who identify themselves as such is somewhat naive), but they're too busy trying to look cool to post on internet message boards.  We're just people who want to discuss awesome things.  Hell, I spend most of my time here looking through threads and realizing I have nothing to add.  You can't come into a place and expect everything people talk about to be interesting to you.  Just like you have varied interests, other people have varied interests.  Things I want to talk about but nobody else seems to want to talk about:
jazz
motorcycles
guns
physics
optics
Thing is, those aren't everything I want to talk about.  Sometimes people bring up something that I didn't even realize I cared about, and that's awesome.  You have to have an open mind and be willing to broaden your horizons.  After all, you learn nothing if you just talk about topics in which you're an expert.  Learning new things is what it's all about.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

evilbobthebob

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #30 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:02 »

Physics? I'll talk about physics! It probably won't be at a very high level, but I love the subject. Plus I may go into optics at university :-D

Do you want to make the physics thread or shall I?

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #31 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:04 »

Physics? I'll talk about physics! It probably won't be at a very high level, but I love the subject. Plus I may go into optics at university :-D

Do you want to make the physics thread or shall I?

....Dude.  You'd better not be joking.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

evilbobthebob

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #32 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:07 »

I'm really not. Check my introductory post. I bore my friends rigid with physics if I get the chance.  :-)

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #33 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:09 »

jazz

You act like this has not been talked about before

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #34 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:11 »

It has, but never the original stuff that is happening today.  It's always old stuff (like Ellington or Miles) or fusion, which I can't stand (way too similar to prog rock).

Also, rock the physics!
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #35 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:18 »

Well you have a point there, but there's gotta be some people hiding around here that know about it

nobo

« Reply #36 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:18 »

My kid sister is now in her first high school physics class, so that means I get to help her out with her homework occasionally. Anyway, who is making the physics thread?

Dude is hardcore.

evilbobthebob

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #37 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:19 »

Me! It's done  :-D

Puki

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #38 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:20 »

Anyway, I've wrote

"

physics

Hey, I'd like to talk about physics! I mean, I don't know a lot about physics, but I think it's a good idea. "

and in the meantime there were 8 more or less physics related posts. Nice.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #39 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:26 »

what in the fuck is this thread
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #40 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:32 »

this thread is a place where people decided they wanted to talk about physics.

- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Puki

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #41 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:33 »

Also, the thread for appreciation of a fine work dr. Indiana Jones did.

MarkTBSc

• Curry sauce
« Reply #42 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:35 »

As to the term Indy/Indie... Ummmm... I'm willing to be wrong here but I'm always hearing people talk about Indie or Independant stuff. Wikipedia says that Dinosaur jr. is Indie Rock, as well as a whole bunch of other stuff. Plus I hear that Indie movies are all about gay cowboys eating pudding. ;)

I don't use Indy/Indie as a term for stuff I don't like. I mean I don't like free jazz or Marmite or racism but I don't think they're the I word.

Would it be better to say I like more mainstream stuff?

Physics is awesome! I'm no good at it but I love the subject! John Ringo and Travis S Taylor's "Voyage of the Space Bubble" series of books has got me more into subatomic particle physics of late (hence the sig).

I like talking about guns, but as I understand they're a verboten subject on these boards so I stay clear. I love engineering and making too. I've posted on the Electronics section of the Arts and Crafts boards here.

nobo, I get the feeling that the people here are good people. We all like QC so we have that in common, and they mostly seem to be polite, decent and - in the case of the ladies - rather attractive. I'd like to make some friends from amongst that number and expand the small circle I have. Of the 15 or so friends I have in the world, I made 13 or so of them on web-forums like this one. Just because we don't share a taste in clothing or music or movies doesn't mean that we can't be friends and this thread was an attempt to try and find people who like QC and perhaps do like the same things as me.

The people of the QC boards are a lot like the people I work with every day. They're great people but they're also intimidating. They've got brains and they certainly seem like they know where their towels are when it comes to music and art and films and I just feel intimidated. I'd like to find people amongst them who are more like me.

It's a bunch of people talking, Melodic. I'm not sure where it's going or what the result will be but for the time being it's pleasant.

sidenote - I'm really really bad at detecting things like seriousness and sarcasm and stuff like that so I apologise if I misread anyone's intentions. For example, Melodic, can I ask if that "f**k" was intended to convey disgust or puzzlement?

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #43 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:37 »

Pfft, I'm not a lady and I'm pretty not ugly.

Why must you divide the community?!

phooey

• FIGHT YOU
  • prisencolinensinainciusol
« Reply #44 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:43 »

Assuming that you won't be liked because you're not "indie" pretty much removes the drive to refine your boarding.  You'll basically suffer the fate of developmental stasis for the rest of your life until you overcome this hurdle.  I'm pretty sure nobody on this board with two brain cells to rub together would currently describe themselves earnestly with what you call the "i word," and it's certainly not something that is a requisite for joining.  It might in actuality be, judging from your last post, that you think the male boarders are unattractive, that you dislike marmite, or that you wink too much (while making light not only Ang Lee but pudding, no less!).  

Also, your desire to make friends that are similar to you is baffling to me.  Whenever I meet someone like myself, I make loud siren-like noises until they leave.  It's called 'pulling a Highlander,' and I thought most everyone did it.
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2009, 14:51 by phooey »

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #45 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:48 »

I demand an explanation of the battery.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

phooey

• FIGHT YOU
  • prisencolinensinainciusol
« Reply #46 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:55 »

Let's start with Top Gun.  I love Top Gun.  Show of hands?

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #47 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:56 »

It has, but never the original stuff that is happening today.  It's always old stuff (like Ellington or Miles) or fusion, which I can't stand (way too similar to prog rock).

If you would like to start a thread talking about this sort of thing, I promise I will listen to some things you recommend.  I really know very little about current jazz music.

EDIT:  Oh shit it is post 1984 and I have to remember that boring book.
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2009, 17:01 by Joseph »

MarkTBSc

• Curry sauce
« Reply #48 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:57 »

Now I can't tell if I've actually offended people and you're all really upset or you're being funny.

I wasn't meaning to imply that anyone was unattractive. I'm not sure about the Highlander thing... I just tend to talk to people and they go away and don't come back all by themselves.

I really wasn't trying to divide the community when I started this thread and I'm sorry if I have.

Ummm... What battery?

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #49 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:59 »

The electrical kind, I think.  My explanation is either a chemical reaction or leprechauns.

Let's start with Top Gun.  I love Top Gun.  Show of hands?

So, whenever I have a passenger on my motorcycle, I always have to resist referring to her (I don't think I'm comfortable enough in my sexuality to ride with a dude) as "Goose."  Everyone tells me not to resist.  Should I not resist?

I will consider starting a thread on the subject of modern jazz.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up