THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 07:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do You Make Films?  (Read 6446 times)

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Do You Make Films?
« on: 30 Sep 2009, 22:45 »

There's definitely a lot of people knowledgeable of film around here, and from the looks of it, it seems like I lot of you might make them too. So, how many of you guys practice filmmaking as a hobby, career, or aspiring career? How many of you go to film school? What are you working on now? Do you have any videos/films you've worked on?

I personally have been working on filmmaking for about 5 years now. I've made about 12 short films, and a feature-length film. I decided against going to film school, or college at all for that matter, and am running a videography company and working on screenplays/financing to take the independent route.

How about you?

scarred

• Older than Moses
Re: Do You Make Films?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2009, 23:05 »

I'm in the video production program at the Art Institute of Seattle. It is terrible and I wish I'd never enrolled. Oh well.

I've worked on / edited two short films so far. They have both been pretty awful.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

GebStar

• Furry furrier
« Reply #2 on: 01 Oct 2009, 08:05 »

I've made four films and a documentary. Two films in highschool and the other two and Docco's I did at University when I was studying film. I'm really good at editing and camera work, but I can't write scripts or come up with good ideas for the life of me. Ended up dropping out of uni because of it, plus the fact that every other person doing my course was a pretentious wanker and they were far, far more talented than me.

My first film that I made in highschool was about Jesus, but in a funny way. I'd link it but youtube took it down because I used copyrighted music.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #3 on: 01 Oct 2009, 10:12 »

I'm a senior at Towson University in its crappy film program, I've made about 5 short films, working on another couple this semester. I am aspiring towards, something, I don't know what yet.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4 on: 01 Oct 2009, 11:24 »

I tried to make a film in college (UK college, age 17-18) but due to lack of time or enthusiasm from other people it didn't go far. I'd like to get into it again in the future but I don't think I'd go to film school or anything. Is there another option?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Bastardous Bassist

• brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #5 on: 01 Oct 2009, 21:03 »

I've been asked to write music for a number of films, but I've always been too busy doing musical things people have paid me for.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #6 on: 02 Oct 2009, 00:27 »

Freelance composition actually pays really, really well if you can get into it. One of the guys in my band is a freelancer, and he gets paid about 3-5K a job. Granted he only gets one job every three months or so.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Bastardous Bassist

• brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #7 on: 02 Oct 2009, 08:01 »

Yeah, but nobody who wanted me to write had any sort of money, and I needed to eat that month.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: 02 Oct 2009, 13:43 »

Only one back in college.  It was gloriously bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWAKVD8fgR8

(This was back in 2003 before vampires got all cool and popular again)

I was pleased with the sped up sunset I shot.

I have produced a ton of TV shows back in my days as the executive produce at college TV station GSTV4.

I also wrote, shot, and starred in my own skit comedy show which was really popular with people who smoked the weed.

I worked in a TV station as a control room operator but really did a hell of a lot more since it was just me and the news anchor in the morning and I had to produce 7 different live morning news and weather spots.

Right now I am starting up my own public access cable show as a hobby.

My friend Ralph from college is still trying to make indy films.  Here is his latest visual opus:

http://www.purgatorycomics.com/
« Last Edit: 02 Oct 2009, 13:48 by Caleb »

RallyMonkey

« Reply #9 on: 06 Oct 2009, 13:09 »

I tried to make a film in college (UK college, age 17-18) but due to lack of time or enthusiasm from other people it didn't go far. I'd like to get into it again in the future but I don't think I'd go to film school or anything. Is there another option?

Personally, I feel film school is one of the worst options. Some people will strongly disagree with me on this, but for a lot of working professionals in the film industry, film school is considered to be a big joke. Just take a look at some of your favorite directors, and see whether they went to film school, and how they got into the business.

My favorite director, P.T. Anderson, quit NYU's film school (Supposedly one of the best in the country) after two days. Steven Spielberg was denied from USC's film program three times. Even if this does not prove that film school isn't worth the time, what it does is disprove the notion that you need to go to film school to get into the industry.

The best way to do that today is to just make a movie. Though, there is one big key to this. A lot of people make movies now-a-days, and about 95% of those people are stupid enough to use their own money to do it. A lot of people will charge everything to their credit cards and go 40K in debt, never sell their first film, and end up never having the money to make a second movie. This is the worst possible situation to be in. Besides, why would you ever use 40K of your own money, when, with a little work, you can use 800K of other people's money? There are a lot of willing film investors, even in this economy. You just need to have a really good script to show investors.

So the two things I would focus on, is learning as much as possible about the film industry and the techniques of writing and directing. Then work your ass off on writing a damned good script. If you can do that, the rest can come easily. There's no use going 200K in debt to do what you can do easily outside of school.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #10 on: 06 Oct 2009, 17:27 »

I have my access music show, but so far I've only really used my video camera for interviews or live music recording.

I did just come up with a webisode series idea that I'd really like to try, though. A bit like The Guild, but based around a local music scene. Lots of colorful characters to utilize.  :-D

If I can get everything planned and recruit cast and crew, I'm hoping to shoot it after the first of the year.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

RallyMonkey

« Reply #11 on: 08 Oct 2009, 23:42 »

I got some pretty good news yesterday. I was commissioned by an environmentalist organization to write and direct a full-length documentary over the next year. The budget, if all goes according to plan, will probably be in the $50,000 range. It is a pretty exciting prospect, and right now I am definitely not regretting staying away from college.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2009, 02:46 »

Congratulations! That sounds like a lot of fun (and a lot of work, but at least it should be fun work). Do keep us informed as it moves into production. :-)

Someone from one of my classes invited me to help crew a couple of days while he shoots his own short film, so I'm looking forward to seeing all that in action.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.
Pages: [1]   Go Up