THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 01:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations on turntables?  (Read 2384 times)

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
Recommendations on turntables?
« on: 28 Sep 2009, 13:25 »

So, I'm just starting to come into possession of some vinyl from various sources, and I don't have a turntable to play it on.  I'd like to get a relatively inexpensive (probably less than $200) turntable that is solid and reliable.  Ideally it would sound great too, but that's not as much of an issue since I would probably be playing it through my Bose computer speakers which, though still excellent quality for small computer speakers, are not the benchmark for audiophile quality sound.  I know that people on this forum have experience with vinyl; I was wondering if I could get some recommendations.

P.S. Please no CDs/Digital/Vinyl/Tapes/Kidnap-the-band-and-make-them-play-for-you quality arguments.

Damnable Fiend

• Curry sauce
  • oh I can put stuff here? that's cool...
Re: Recommendations on turntables?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2009, 20:04 »

you also need a receiver, no?
"[human beings] just get carried away by new ideas, like dressing up in jackboots and shooting people, or dressing up in white sheets and lynching people, or dressing up in tie-dye jeans and playing guitars at people."

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2009, 20:08 »

You can get turntables that can be plugged directly into powered speaker units, I think.  Cheaper turntables tend to have pre-amps built-in these days, because if you're buying a relatively inexpensive turntable, chances are you're not going to be buying a receiver that is made for turntables.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2009, 20:21 »

Yeah, I don't need a reciever, I just need a turntable (probably with a built-in preamp) that outputs to RCA.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2009, 03:21 »

I don't know a lot about belt-driven turntables which is what you're looking for but basically if you are going to be plugging them into your computer speakers do not spend a lot of money on a turntable. That is about as close to useful advice as you are going to get from me though.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk
Pages: [1]   Go Up