THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WE HATE SPORTS  (Read 33044 times)

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Re: WE HATE SPORTS
« Reply #150 on: 03 Oct 2009, 22:40 »

Football killed Futurama. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Geekdumb

• Not quite a lurker
    • Geek-dumb
« Reply #151 on: 04 Oct 2009, 00:32 »

This is one possible explanation of why some people enjoy sports more than others but just from reading the responses in this thread it's not accurate all of the time.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/10/science/10mirr.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1

I know it's definitely been true in my case.  When a player is attempting a particularly difficult move I sometimes find myself unconsciously performing a similar action.
Matt

Geek-dumb.com Hyphenated for her pleasure.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #152 on: 05 Oct 2009, 06:21 »

Football killed Futurama. 

So, how is that a bad thing?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #153 on: 06 Oct 2009, 22:15 »

What the hell is wrong with you
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #154 on: 06 Oct 2009, 23:52 »

Nothing. I just don't like futurama all that much. Or at all, even.
My Art.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #155 on: 07 Oct 2009, 04:48 »

What the hell is wrong with you
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #156 on: 07 Oct 2009, 05:16 »

Nothing. I just don't like futurama all that much. Or at all, even.

I'd also like to say that continuing in this vein will not yield any different result and will only lead to this thread going even further off course than it already has.
My Art.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #157 on: 30 Nov 2010, 13:38 »

So anyway you guys, I am watching a football match (or like a replay, or something, or bits of matches, I am not sure) and sports is still dreadful.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #158 on: 30 Nov 2010, 16:30 »

WE HATE SPROUTS
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #159 on: 30 Nov 2010, 16:31 »

WE HATE HUEY LEWIS (did someone make this joke already? i'm not going to read the first three pages of this thread probably)

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #160 on: 30 Nov 2010, 16:31 »

WE HATE SPORKS

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #161 on: 30 Nov 2010, 16:32 »

I love Johnny C.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #162 on: 30 Nov 2010, 16:33 »

Tommy I specifically created this thread rather than having a pro-sports/anti-sports argument in the WE LOVE SPORTS thread. Don't you think it's a little rich to come into this thread, which is for people who hate sports, and defend sports? You and several others who have posted in this thread would surely be very annoyed if we came into the WE LOVE SPORTS thread and started pissing everywhere, eh?

is this some kind of twisted thought experiment or something? is this the new pedagogy. probably one out of every ten of yr posts is a post in a topic where you don't like what's being talked about and you come in exclusively to stir up shit. if that's what this is it's horribly transparent but why would you waste our time with it, and if that's NOT what this is then how can you at all reconcile that with like anything

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #163 on: 30 Nov 2010, 16:33 »

I hate Johnny C now.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #164 on: 30 Nov 2010, 16:35 »

I hate Johnny C now.

story of my life

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #165 on: 30 Nov 2010, 16:35 »

this thread's a year old, i'm retarded

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #166 on: 30 Nov 2010, 16:52 »

Johnny C hates your sports hate, sport.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #167 on: 30 Nov 2010, 16:53 »

Then sports hate for himself upon spotting that the sports hate thread sported the majority of its sports hate posts more than a full sports season ago.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #168 on: 30 Nov 2010, 17:21 »

I am indifferent to sports.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #169 on: 30 Nov 2010, 18:23 »

sports is a'ight sometimes
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #170 on: 30 Nov 2010, 18:26 »

Tommy I specifically created this thread rather than having a pro-sports/anti-sports argument in the WE LOVE SPORTS thread. Don't you think it's a little rich to come into this thread, which is for people who hate sports, and defend sports? You and several others who have posted in this thread would surely be very annoyed if we came into the WE LOVE SPORTS thread and started pissing everywhere, eh?

is this some kind of twisted thought experiment or something? is this the new pedagogy. probably one out of every ten of yr posts is a post in a topic where you don't like what's being talked about and you come in exclusively to stir up shit. if that's what this is it's horribly transparent but why would you waste our time with it, and if that's NOT what this is then how can you at all reconcile that with like anything

Clearly Khar's intention was to highlight the hypocrisy inherent in the pro sports thread. It's a thread for liking sports so any negative posts regarding sport are met with "start your own thread" responses. When a new thread, reflecting on sport negatively is started, people start posting about how great sports is. I...I don't see how you can not understand?
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #171 on: 30 Nov 2010, 23:03 »

There are times when sports frustrate me to no end.

And then there are just some heartwarming, feel-good moments.

And dang if we don't need more of those in this world.

...Right, Josh Hamilton?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #172 on: 01 Dec 2010, 04:12 »

WE HATE HUEY LEWIS (did someone make this joke already? i'm not going to read the first three pages of this thread probably)

Well, he did play harmonica on Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous and that gets him oodles of brownie points.

Besides, as many people here can attest ... it's hip to be square.
My Art.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #173 on: 01 Dec 2010, 05:45 »

I didn't say it was a good idea for a thread, I'm just confused as to why Johnny C doesn't understand Khars very obvious intent. Again, didn't say it was a worthwhile intent.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #174 on: 01 Dec 2010, 07:03 »

Sports is OK, Fore! is better.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #175 on: 01 Dec 2010, 20:51 »

I didn't say it was a good idea for a thread, I'm just confused as to why Johnny C doesn't understand Khars very obvious intent. Again, didn't say it was a worthwhile intent.

so it's a thought experiment, like i said

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #176 on: 17 Feb 2011, 09:13 »

Fool’s Gold: How the Olympics and other international competitions breed conflict and bring out the worst in human nature.

I'm not done. Our own political discourse, already emaciated enough, has been further degraded by the continuous importation of sports "metaphors": lame and vapid and cheery expressions like "bottom of the ninth," "goal line," and who knows what other tripe. Hard enough on the eyes and ears as this is—and there are some cartoonists who can't seem to draw without it—it also increases the deplorable tendency to look at the party system as a matter of team loyalty, which is the most trivial and parochial form that attachment can take. Meanwhile, the sponsorship racket means that a string of thugs and mediocrities is regularly marketed and presented for "role modeling" purposes, and it's considered normal for serious programming to be postponed or even interrupted if some dull game goes into (the very words are like a knell) overtime.

I can't count the number of times that I have picked up the newspaper at a time of crisis and found whole swaths of the front page given over either to the already known result of some other dull game or to the moral or criminal depredations of some overpaid steroid swallower. Listen: the paper has a whole separate section devoted to people who want to degrade the act of reading by staring enthusiastically at the outcomes of sporting events that occurred the previous day. These avid consumers also have tons of dedicated channels and publications that are lovingly contoured to their special needs. All I ask is that they keep out of the grown-up parts of the paper.

Or picture this: I take a seat in a bar or restaurant and suddenly leap to my feet, face contorted with delight or woe, yelling and gesticulating and looking as if I am fighting bees. I would expect the maitre d' to say a quietening word at the least, mentioning the presence of other people. But then all I need do is utter some dumb incantation—"Steelers," say, or even "Cubs," for crumb's sake—and everybody decides I am a special case who deserves to be treated in a soothing manner. Or else given a wide berth: ever been caught up in a fight over a match that you didn't even know was being played? Or seen the pathetic faces of men, and even some women, trying to keep up with the pack by professing devoted loyalty to some other pack on the screen? If you want a decent sports metaphor that applies as well to the herd of fans as it does to the players, try picking one from the most recent scandal. All those concerned look—and talk—as if they were suffering from a concussion.

Still perenially shocked to see so many people on these forums whom I know to be intelligent talking about sports. Like it makes me anxious and fearful: when are you guys going to start the threads about TV talent shows or a thread about how only faggots like reading books? It is dreadful.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #177 on: 17 Feb 2011, 09:40 »

You'd think a guy who is into heavy metal, industrial music horror movies, Lovecraft novels, and far-left radical politics would be a bit more hesitant to call other people's interests the Death of Civilisation or whatever, but I guess not.

LOL!  :mrgreen:

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #178 on: 17 Feb 2011, 11:44 »

If you just absolutely ignore every good aspect of sport it probably seems pretty weird but you wouldn't do that unless you had an irrational agenda.

Well since you and other sports fans will ignore or dismiss every possible criticism of sport perhaps we could see it as providing balance? It is interesting that fans is of course derived from the word 'fanatic', and you ignore or reject all criticism of professional sport, the olympics committee etc. without even properly addressing it, just trumpeting the same unsupported talking points over and over again. Kind of like when you question people about their belief that the Earth is only 6000 years old or Xenu infested everyone with dead alien mnd parasites. I have an irrational agenda though, definitely.

Anyway this is the thread for people who hate sports, as I have tried to make clear several times before. Now where was I?

I read a pretty good article linking the rise of professional sports to 19th century ideas about masculinity and how to control it. Like, rugby, football etc. all arose in elite British all-boys schools, and were thought to discourage masturbation and sodomy, provide good experience for a future life in the army etc. Then the various sports were spread deliberately to the lower orders because such control and discipline was also felt to be good for them. And so it goes! That article may have been on JSTOR though so I will have to rootle for it. It's interesting though; like when you compare the huge bread and circuses, shit waste of money, glorify idiots sports of today with like traditional sports you might see played at a super traditional village fete or whatever, that actually are mostly about having fun and bringing people together, the contrast is pretty marked. It's not cool to guzzle down the opiate of the masses.

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #179 on: 21 Feb 2011, 14:56 »

I would be interested in reading that article if you can find it.

Lupercal

• In conception since 1991
« Reply #180 on: 14 Mar 2011, 17:25 »

Well its not the sports that I hate but the stuff surrounding it. I tried out for Hockey at Uni this year and could not deal with all the macho bullshit that seemed to be a constant haze over the players. Like, its not just hockey, its AH YEAH HOCKEY MOTHERFUCKERRR WE'RE MEN YEAH PENIS so I sort of stopped it. I also refuse to go to socials with these guys as they will likely dip their cock in my pint when I'm not looking or something.

I like martial arts but don't really count as sports (although Tae Kwon Do is an olympic sport! All right).

Yeah, just generally the fact that people have gotten trampled to death at football games, and the fact that England suck so much at football yet we pay so much attention to it. The commentators after this world cup said "well, they're just more comfortable in their league teams". Yeah I'm sure they are, they have a prize to work towards and on their shittiest day they still have that £50,000 a week coming in. Whereas England's pride doesn't matter because pssh, thats all hard work or something. Wayne Rooney, the saving grace for England (as was said in April 2010) scored his first goal for 2010 in a Manchester United game. After he played in every match England was in for the world cup. Then throws a hissy fit and now is getting paid £250,000 A WEEK. What does England's second highest paid footballer do with this money? Spends it on prostitutes and cheats on his pregnant wife.

When I think of football I think of twats like Wayne Rooney and instantly remind myself why I hate the sport. Its not even very interesting to watch.

On the other hand, I quite like rugby in terms of watching it, supporting England, playing it in a team also has the wonderful macho-bullshit quality to it.

I like playing sports, I just don't buy into the massive spectacle of it, and some people do and that's fine. Just doesn't sit with me to support people who make, what I feel, is a very poor contribution to society for how much they are paid.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #181 on: 14 Mar 2011, 17:45 »

It sounds like your problem is Assholes

WE HATE ASSHOLES

catchy

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #182 on: 14 Mar 2011, 19:43 »

There's no I in TEAM so I'm not interested.

I hate when I sit down at the pub and it's busy so you share a table and you end up sitting with some musclebound dildo who thinks rugby is the be all and end all. I will not discuss your pig skin kicking, I don't understand it and I don't care. I was happy to discuss rugby with my ex girlfriend's family as they talked about the local games, where it was regular people playing rather than professional athletes who train 6 days a week. As with most things, when corporations become involved it all goes to fuck.

It disgusts me the a full 1/3 of the 6pm news in New Zealand is dedicated to sport. Not even sport in general, mostly rugby. If they included rock climbing, lacrosse or FUCKING ANYTHING OTHER THAN RUGBY I'd be happier.

I'm not anti-sport perse, just anti-corporate.

Plus there's the sexism aspect that really gets to me. When do you ever hear of women's sport on television? Tennis is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head. Or gymnastics. Even those are really only on at olympic time. Can anyone tell me why women's sport isn't on TV?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #183 on: 14 Mar 2011, 20:04 »

Canada routinely has women's curling on the CBC in prime-time.

Canada is pretty weird

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #184 on: 14 Mar 2011, 20:08 »

Nah, they just love watching women sweeping. Those sexist bastards.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #185 on: 14 Mar 2011, 20:14 »

The ABC (Australia's national government-funded public broadcaster) shows one match a week live every Saturday afternoon from the Australian national women's soccer league (the season's finished now though). It also showed the entirety of the recent women's cricket Twenty20 series between Australia and England.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #186 on: 14 Mar 2011, 20:21 »

Netball, too!

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #187 on: 14 Mar 2011, 21:04 »

And women's basketball!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up