THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Borderlands  (Read 130185 times)

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
Re: Borderlands
« Reply #200 on: 04 Nov 2009, 18:13 »

LTK just got trolled
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #201 on: 05 Nov 2009, 07:10 »

I have been playing as a sniper, right?

Well, at this point I'm using a total of 0 guns with scopes. Even my sniper rifle has a blade sight. It is the Elephant Gun. Totally powerful and accurate. My revolver does 56x7 damage and has an almost instantaneous reload speed. My SMG does 25x4 damage and my shotgun does 64x11 with 3 explosive.

I slam.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #202 on: 05 Nov 2009, 08:35 »

For a while I was just running up to enemies and shooting them point-blank in the face with my sniper rifle.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #203 on: 05 Nov 2009, 09:52 »

I finally started playing and yeah, I love the way you can snap headshots with the sniper rifle. This 9 clip, 2 shots per second one was my go-to close range weapon for some time (until I got hold of revolvers).
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #204 on: 05 Nov 2009, 11:47 »

Personally, I like transfusion grenades the best. They chase enemies and HEAL YOU. How awesome is that? They don't do much in the way of damage, though.

ackblom12

« Reply #205 on: 05 Nov 2009, 11:48 »

So far Longbows and MIRV have been my favorite. There is just something very satisfying about having a Massive Corrosive cloud of green gas break through the enemy ranks.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #206 on: 05 Nov 2009, 11:52 »

Personally, I like transfusion grenades the best. They chase enemies and HEAL YOU. How awesome is that? They don't do much in the way of damage, though.

tell that to my 101 damage Transfusion mod.

Also, I found an awesome combat rifle last night that has forced me to actually use a combat rifle on my Hunter for the first time (all the ones i've encountered up until now have sucked).

it's rate of fire is over 10 and the clip is around 55 and oh yeah it sets shit on fire. it burns through ammo and enemies like nobody's business. makes me glad i have another, shitty combat rifle that regrows ammo, so i just equip that opposite my good one and use it to regrow ammo whenever i'm not shooting at stuff. My combat rifle proficiency went up around 9 levels or so last night.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #207 on: 05 Nov 2009, 13:24 »

I really do not enjoy combat rifles at all. Not that as it matters much as I generally talk with my fists, but even as I'm waiting for Berserk to recharge, I'll be hanging back with an SMG or shotgun. I was going to put some points into my Explosives (or whatever it's called) skill tree, but at level 23 I've come across one rocket launcher and it's absolutely terrible, so screw it. I like the idea of my tank/brawler build anyway.
There is no true love, just a finely tuned jealousy.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #208 on: 05 Nov 2009, 14:22 »

I have a sort of taboo on using guns outside of my class. I rarely even use anything but snipers, repeaters and revolvers. Occasionally I carry around a rocket launcher to use on things like Skagzilla, but SMGs, machine guns and shotguns I always sell. Everything far away perishes at my sniper rifle, everything close up perishes at my revolver, and everything on more than two legs perishes at my caustic repeater. Seriously, it's so much fun to take down swarms of spiderants with that thing. I shoot a couple of rounds at the head, they get Corroded and turn around, leaving the hind body wide open. It works on every Spiderant except the Badass Corrosive ones, but that's no problem since they conveniently lift up their hind bodies to take a revolver shot at. I got the Conveyor of Death challenge slaughtering the lot of them. Lethal Strike is a really useful skill to have for Hunters, too. I never have to waste a single bullet on Scythids, cause they're squishy enough to just hack away at. Although it seems that melee kills, like running things over, gives you much less experience than shooting stuff. I get why you don't get points for vehicular manslaughter, cause every idiot can do that, but I'd like to see some return of investement of those Lethal Strike points.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #209 on: 05 Nov 2009, 15:48 »

Huh, really? I wonder if that applies to all melee kills, including Brick's punches during Berserk. If so, that is seriously unfair.

öde

« Reply #210 on: 06 Nov 2009, 03:06 »

Make sure to have a weapon that electrocutes enemies when you fight the Crimson Lance because their helmets and flesh pop off and their skulls slowly explode.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #211 on: 06 Nov 2009, 05:54 »

No, that happens when you electrocute any human enemy. It's especially fun for midgets, that scream and scream until the top of their head comes off.   :lol:
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #212 on: 06 Nov 2009, 20:03 »

I am playing as a soldier.  Problem is that I am not finding any decent combat rifles for my level (19).  I've had a really decent one (decent damage, +sets people on fire, +35 clip size) for a while now, but it's getting too weak and I'm not finding anything else decent, so I've been using the multiple goddamn fucking sniper rifles I've been coming across.  It got to the point where I started another game as a sniper last night because I thought maybe it was just the way I was wanting to play, but that guy quickly got a really decent combat rifle and SMG and I found I was trying to play my sniper as a soldier.  Huh.

Having a lot of fun though!

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #213 on: 07 Nov 2009, 00:27 »

Figures that as soon as I complain I get a string of awesome combat rifle drops.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #214 on: 07 Nov 2009, 00:46 »

Quick, complain about world hunger!
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #215 on: 07 Nov 2009, 05:34 »

Ever wonder how all those ammo boxes end up in toilet pots? Now you know!

Also, I've recently found this rocket launcher nicknamed 'the Rhino'. When you fire it, it explodes constantly.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #216 on: 07 Nov 2009, 18:29 »

Finally got the internet at my apartment.

Gamertag- BeardedGlyphic

öde

« Reply #217 on: 07 Nov 2009, 20:20 »

When you fire it, it explodes constantly.

Rad

I have a shotgun that fires 6 rockets in anything but a straight line.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #218 on: 07 Nov 2009, 20:34 »

SO like, did anyone beat Mad Mel without dying?  If so, how?  Did you play it super-cautious, drive into the ring slowly, back up to the entry, jump out & over the lip then snipe everything really cheaply?  Because man, I can't fucking control the jeep thing well enough to avoid 2 normal dudes plus an armoured truck firing rockets at me, so after I died the first time I just sniped from the outside of the ring where they couldn't get me.  It felt cheap, but fuck those guys for not being smart enough to get to me.

If this game had a hardcore mode I am not sure how you'd get through that part, or even how you'd go about doing the mission killing the rocket-firing runners.  I didn't die doing those, but there were some very close calls.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #219 on: 07 Nov 2009, 21:58 »

I dunno, I joined a group and they magically killed Mel.
also israel

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #220 on: 07 Nov 2009, 23:46 »

The runners I killed by driving up and agroing then leading them back to lucky's where I got the hell out of the car and used a combat rifle instead. I did a similar thing for Mad Mel, but only after trying to do it properly and jumping out of my car when I realised it wasn't going to work.

I just finished the last hidden journal quest and I'm really liking the Patricia Tannis character.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #221 on: 08 Nov 2009, 02:37 »

SO like, did anyone beat Mad Mel without dying?  If so, how?  Did you play it super-cautious, drive into the ring slowly, back up to the entry, jump out & over the lip then snipe everything really cheaply?  Because man, I can't fucking control the jeep thing well enough to avoid 2 normal dudes plus an armoured truck firing rockets at me, so after I died the first time I just sniped from the outside of the ring where they couldn't get me.  It felt cheap, but fuck those guys for not being smart enough to get to me.

If this game had a hardcore mode I am not sure how you'd get through that part, or even how you'd go about doing the mission killing the rocket-firing runners.  I didn't die doing those, but there were some very close calls.

Standing on the lip is definitely the best way to do it. I've found that almost all of the bosses can be killed in cheap ways like that.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #222 on: 08 Nov 2009, 05:37 »

I died two times with Mel too, in co-op with two other people. The worst thing is, when you lose your car, you're done for. When mine blows up I can snipe one of those runners for a second wind, but that's it. No way in hell you can take down Mel on foot. Eventually we pulled it off with two of us dead for the second time, and the third guy - higher level - finished him. I think the biggest mistake was using the rocket launcher. Blowing yourself up is what it does best, and damaging other enemies is only second to that. And you'll miss half the time, too. Maybe using a machine turret would have been easier.

Now that I think of it, I had surprisingly little trouble with the other runners outside of that ring. As far as I can recall, I needed only to get out of the car and shoot them once with my fire sniper. Instant barbecue.

Speaking of cheap ways to kill enemies, how about this guardians? They're fast sonsofbitches, and the first time I got there they danced circles around me while I was emptying my shock revolver, hitting nothing. When I was out of ammo, I ran and melee'd everything that stood in my way. And when I got to the exit, I looked back and saw that they were all already dead. Big surprise. Tried it a second time after they respawned, and it turns out I can take them down with two or three swipes. Lethal Strike FTW.

Oh, I just remembered something. You know what this game could use a lot more of? Music. I mean, in the intro movie we hear a cool song that really sets the mood for the game, but after that we don't hear any more of it. The background music doesn't quite cut it either. When you look at games like Fallout 3 and Bioshock, the radio and music played does a lot for the atmosphere, and I think Borderlands could benefit from that too. You already see radios all over the place, but they're all eerily silent.

Just listen to it already.
« Last Edit: 08 Nov 2009, 06:57 by LTK »

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #223 on: 08 Nov 2009, 07:53 »

I didn't have a problem with Mad Mel. I took him out on foot with my SMG. Of course, it was the SMG that shoots four bullets at once.

öde

« Reply #224 on: 08 Nov 2009, 09:00 »

You know what this game could use a lot more of? Music.

Yeah, I think my favourite area is skag gully because of the combination of the background music and scenery, and the music that plays when a shitload of skags come after you.

The game feels like it needs a lot more detail to make it more in-depth and awesome. One thing that especially annoyed me was that the characters supposedly had backstories, but I heard absolutely nothing about them in-game.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #225 on: 08 Nov 2009, 10:09 »

more importantly, how did you kill Mothrakk?

I cheesed it.
also israel

öde

« Reply #226 on: 08 Nov 2009, 10:31 »

First time I tried I didn't even see the bastard, I just exploded. Second time I'd leveled up a bit so I ran away from the flames and sniped it when it stopped trying to set me on fire. You have to cheese it tactically.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #227 on: 08 Nov 2009, 11:00 »

Trollstormur that is possibly the most disgusting avatar I have ever seen.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #228 on: 08 Nov 2009, 11:01 »

I killed Mothrakk with a group of friends -- three soldiers and a hunter, we took turns dropping medi-turrets and hiding underneath a garage.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #229 on: 08 Nov 2009, 11:27 »

Trollstormur that is possibly the most disgusting avatar I have ever seen.

funfact: you're still sporting an avatar from my brainslug meme.
also israel

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #230 on: 08 Nov 2009, 13:04 »

I enjoyed that meme. It was kind of a forum/community solidarity thing.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #231 on: 08 Nov 2009, 13:49 »

The first time against Mothrakk I used the car with a machine gun, made distance, switched to gunner, shot it until it came close, and repeated. I got killed hard. Then someone told me that when you're alone in a car, you can use the space bar to lock on to targets. Then it's just a matter of driving circles and holding down RMB.

I'm kind of bummed that most of those bosses are so easy to kill, using either a lot of firepower or a trick. Krom, for example, took me zero effort. I was playing alongside another hunter, and I was at the start of the big canyon where he holes up in. I took my fire sniper, took aim at his turret - no idea it was him sitting in it - and blew it up in three shots. (The guy has a completely bitchin' repeater, btw) There's no satisfaction in that! I'd rather fight a boss that kills everyone twice before the one who gets him survives with barely any health left than this. Just like that little Scythid that the bandits worshipped. Bullets had no effect, so I minced it with my machete, and it was done. Come ooooon.

Man, this game sure gets in your head. I complain about the lack of nicer music in here, and then Patricia Tannis radios me to tell me how she thinks music is stupid and a waste of time.

Something fun happened today, too: I was in the Middle of Nowhere, browsing through the Steam usergroup without any active menus in-game, when Mordecai suddenly says "Why, yes, now that you mention it, I DO like to stand around doing NOTHING!" I laughed my head off. What kind of idle messages do the other characters have?
« Last Edit: 08 Nov 2009, 13:52 by LTK »

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #232 on: 08 Nov 2009, 13:53 »

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #233 on: 08 Nov 2009, 15:04 »

Wow, those guys want to be Penny Arcade really, really badly.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #234 on: 08 Nov 2009, 21:22 »

Between Tycho's words and Gabe's art, they would have gotten all that done in three panels.

Still, well done comic.  It just took a little too long to say what it wanted to say.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #235 on: 09 Nov 2009, 02:45 »

Yeah, I actually started out thinking it was a special PA comic they made for Gearbox, like their Dragon Age stuff or something.

ackblom12

« Reply #236 on: 09 Nov 2009, 15:02 »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #237 on: 09 Nov 2009, 21:39 »

Not just zombies, but were-Skags too, huh?

Reed

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #238 on: 09 Nov 2009, 22:19 »

Holy shit, my rommate and I have made it up to level 28 (it took a Saturday of playing 9 beer and pizza fueled hours of work) and we just bought the game last Thursday. I really can't imagine playing this game by myself, it's so much better with a friend!!

Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #239 on: 12 Nov 2009, 08:41 »

Just started a berserker. Berserkers are fucking awesome

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #240 on: 12 Nov 2009, 09:07 »

Just wait until you can light people on fire with your fists
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #241 on: 12 Nov 2009, 10:14 »

I punch people so hard that they explode.

öde

« Reply #242 on: 12 Nov 2009, 11:13 »

Just wait until you can light people on fire with your fists
I punch people so hard that they explode.
light people on fire with your fists!
punch people so hard that they explode!

I was going to trade this in but now I'm rethinking.

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #243 on: 12 Nov 2009, 16:32 »

Seriously, the Berserker is so much fun. And if fire isn't your thing, maybe you'd like to shoot lightning bolts from your knuckles.

FIXDIX

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #244 on: 12 Nov 2009, 16:40 »

I love playing with a friend and seeing my Siren looking like a firey angel from hell after I kill shit.

Reed

« Reply #245 on: 13 Nov 2009, 10:38 »

Man, what the fuck? My roommate and I got to level 30 when our god damn saves were corrupted! Same thing that happened to me right before the killer croc battle in Arkham Asylum.
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #246 on: 13 Nov 2009, 10:58 »

Start menu: Exit

do that whenever you quit; it will autosave. Seems to be a pretty common problem which I believe stems from turning off the console, or otherwise exiting the game, without actually Quitting.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Reed

« Reply #247 on: 13 Nov 2009, 11:14 »

Hey, thanks! We restarted with new characters, so hopefully it won't get corrupted again

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #248 on: 13 Nov 2009, 23:56 »

Hey, people who are playing this on the pc, what are your Gamespy tags?

I've added Rhythmikk, Ozymandiasx & ThePopStalinist, but not sure if they are correct or not.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #249 on: 14 Nov 2009, 04:28 »

I'm LTK_70, did you add me by any chance? I was starting up the game yesterday and a friend request came up, but the Steam overlay was in the way so I pressed escape, which closed the Steam overlay but also denied the friend request. That was not what I wanted. When the hell did the escape key work as a 'No' answer anyway? It never cancels anything in the inventory or shops menus! And friend managing isn't exactly convenient either...

Got the third vault key piece yesterday. That Rakk Hive was awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up