THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Borderlands  (Read 130144 times)

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
Re: Borderlands
« Reply #250 on: 14 Nov 2009, 10:02 »

<---me
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #251 on: 14 Nov 2009, 17:30 »

I am genuinely surprised that the idea of "giant monster with a vagina for a mouth" has not been successfully pitched before now.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #252 on: 14 Nov 2009, 18:36 »

Just sent requests to you two too.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #253 on: 14 Nov 2009, 21:06 »

I am genuinely surprised that the idea of "giant monster with a vagina for a mouth" has not been successfully pitched before now.

I'm really certain that Shin Megami Tensei has these.

I mean, they did have a chariot riding penis monster.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #254 on: 14 Nov 2009, 21:41 »

have you ever seen anything ever done by the Japanese?
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #255 on: 14 Nov 2009, 22:16 »

and it's managed to appear in two games released in the same month this year, what does that say about the zeitgeist
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #256 on: 15 Nov 2009, 00:17 »

That we love our yonic imagery?

Also, SMT very definitely has a vagina-based counterpart to Mara. Meet Arioch:

Keep in mind that the original Shin Megami Tensei was released in 1992.

Japan's a fucked up place.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #257 on: 15 Nov 2009, 00:18 »

Ah, yeah.

That was the guy. Or gal. Or whatever. Ah, fuck it, Japan confuses me.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #258 on: 15 Nov 2009, 00:20 »

He's not as common as Mara, I believe the only game he's in to come out in English is Devil Survivor.

Actually, he might be in DDS as well, I don't remember that well. He's definitely not in the Persona games, I've played them enough to know that for sure.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #259 on: 15 Nov 2009, 04:41 »

Finished it yesterday around 2:45 am. When we were starting out I was playing with someone 5 levels lower than me (28 and 33) and we were about to go for Baron Flynt. He got killed a lot by the Lance, and I had to either keep reviving him or tank the damage - as a Hunter. It did keep things interesting, though. At the end I was at level 37 and he was 36. Earlier I bought a lv 34 static revolver that shock exploded at every single shot, and those guardians were helpless against it. When I get a pistol ammo regeneration mod after that, it's completely unstoppable.

But uh, what actually happened at the ending? Spoiler: So the Vault opens, big giant monster comes out that's not unlike Half-Life: Opposing Force's end boss, you shoot it really hard and it dies. Vault closes, please come back in 200 years. Well, that's a bitter disappointment, seeing as the Destroyer didn't drop very good loot itself. I was at least expecting a few Eridian or Orange weapons, but nope. Okay, so Angel, who is either a person operating a Hyperion spy sattelite, or an AI, knows a lot about the Vault and that thing that was in it. She makes us open it and kill it, and then thanks us for our efforts. No idea how she knows all this about it, and what her motives or goals were. And then there's CL4P-TP, INTERPLANETARY NINJA ASSASSIN. Does anyone have a clue?
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2009, 04:43 by LTK »
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

öde

« Reply #260 on: 15 Nov 2009, 07:59 »

"Hey, we should make a shitty ending so people will want a sequel to resolve it."

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #261 on: 15 Nov 2009, 16:46 »

Started over as a Soldier, and got to my second playthrough as a Hunter. I guess the difficulty is scaled up pretty well, because it takes almost exactly the same amount of effort to kill Nine-Toes and do side-quests.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #262 on: 15 Nov 2009, 18:04 »

The second playthrough is really refreshing, since for most of playthrough one I was 3-4 levels ahead of the enemy. Better loot, too!
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #263 on: 15 Nov 2009, 18:28 »

"Hey, we should make a shitty ending so people will want a sequel to resolve it."

No, I think it's more that "we don't give a rat's ass about the story under any circumstances, but we don't think the users care either so who cares?"

And it seems like Borderlands has worked out very well for Gearbox, both critically and commercially. I know it far outstripped most industry predictions in early sales numbers. And I'm sure 2K will be more than happy to greenlight a sequel, considering they were so close to the brink a couple of years ago that they're looking for absolutely anything they can turn into a successful franchise.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #264 on: 15 Nov 2009, 18:57 »

Sequel has already been confirmed.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #265 on: 16 Nov 2009, 14:37 »

I have no idea where to go with my Soldier, none of those builds are particularly appealing to me, so I'm just gonna get a Siren instead.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #266 on: 16 Nov 2009, 20:41 »

Berserker, man. Berskerker.

YOU EXPLODE SHIT WITH YOUR FISTS.

And when you do so you heal yourself.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #267 on: 16 Nov 2009, 21:47 »

The other guy I started over with did Berserker, and he activated berserk whenever we were travelling somewhere cause it made him run faster. Yes, he screams constantly. And it's not like you can cancel out Berserk like Phasewalk or Bloodwing so you're stuck in it until it wears off. "I can't stop this rage! It's making me more angry!!"

Also, did you know the Bloodwing isn't actually a bird, but a reptile? You never get a good look at it, but when I saw it stuck in an object a few times I saw that the wings were leathery. In the sketch-intro movie, kid Mordecai already had a kind of pet flying reptile. I wonder if it's related to Rakk?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #268 on: 17 Nov 2009, 10:02 »

Yeah, I think it's probably some kind of domesticated mini-rakk.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

öde

« Reply #269 on: 17 Nov 2009, 10:54 »

If you throw your bloodwing into the ground and recall it quickly, and repeat (many times) you get lots of bloodwings.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #270 on: 17 Nov 2009, 11:09 »

Apparently all the characters originate off-world? I think it was in the wiki. I wish it went into more detail than it does about the characters' origins.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #271 on: 17 Nov 2009, 14:15 »

Well, T.K. Baha does say you smell like off-worlder. But where the characters originate from is never said in the game.

öde

« Reply #272 on: 17 Nov 2009, 14:39 »

Birds and reptiles are basically the same, anyway.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #273 on: 17 Nov 2009, 14:45 »

Feathers make all the difference. What's more important, I just read that the update fixed the items so that five lines of detail information are visible. You can also control voice chat better.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #274 on: 18 Nov 2009, 17:53 »

I think I know what kind of creature the Bloodwing is. Does anyone remember in Descent that birds flew up in the sky just before the flying Guardians show up? I think they were called Trash Birds, or something like that. They can be killed, they were all level one, and they would come a little closer and back off from time to time, never actually attacking you. And they were the exact image of that bird in the picture. You should check it out.

By the way, did you know that the things you continue to do in the first playthrough affect your character in the second? I was sorting out my guns in the first playthrough, I don't remember why, and I came across a really good 4x caustic revolver in a shop. Apparently, your inventory interchanges items of the first and second playthroughs, enabling you to get high level weapons to the first playthrough and good vending machine guns to the second. I did just that, scrounged through all the gun vendors in the game and picked out some orange-rarity guns, and some of them are quite helpful. I finally figured out that corrosive weapons don't affect shields like shock weapons do, but armor, mostly of the Crimson Lance and the Spiderants. Before I never really used corrosive guns, turns out they could have saved me a lot of trouble.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #275 on: 21 Nov 2009, 08:08 »

I think it's pretty clear what the Angel's motivation was,
(click to show/hide)
and I think that the bit with Claptrap was just more comedy relief, not to be taken seriously.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #276 on: 30 Nov 2009, 17:23 »

I just started playing this game and it is fucking awesome. Everything is enjoyable. Though some things could be touched up, notably the driving, and Ive only started a Siren but Im struggling to believe that there would be any incredible difference between chars.

One thing I am happy to see adopted is the Grey/Green/Blue/Purple rarity thing that Torchlight and Borderlands adopted.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #277 on: 30 Nov 2009, 18:19 »

It's really not that bad; once you're high enough level there's some pretty powerful class mod items you can equip that further specialize your character, so even if all 4 character classes have fundamentally similarities, there's still ways to customize each one. For example, you can set up Mordecai so that he's constantly regenerating and can easily pick off enemies from a distance while regenerating the incidental damage. Or you can do what I did and set him up so he's an engine of death whose attack speed and damage goes through the roof after he's made a kill. Likewise Lilith can become a hit and run artist via Phasewalk, Inner Glow and the Defender class mod or she can go down the Assassin tree and just murder everything close up. I'd say the fault lies with the fact that all FPS games are fundamentally click-until-dead games rather than a game design issue.

Also, I'd just like to say that I think it's a bit sad that people seem to underestimate Roland's skills; an increased magazine size isn't flashy, but when you consider that such abilities can make some of the "gimmick" weapons actually practical, he becomes far more interesting. Basically, every shotgun in the game that makes you think "Man, this thing would be great if only..." can probably become ridiculously powerful in the hands of Roland.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2009, 18:32 by Alex C »

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #278 on: 30 Nov 2009, 21:24 »

Oh how I want a Revolver that looks like the Trigun. I almost bought one that was severely lower quality than anything I had simply because it looked cool... And was the first revolver I saw.

Im a level or two away from getting blackout the kill based cooldown reduction of phasewalk in the Assassin skilltree and that will hopefully start netting some cool results too

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #279 on: 01 Dec 2009, 05:03 »

I got a revolver that looks like the trigun. It shoots seven bullets at a time. Paired with my gunslinger class mod and the better criticals perk, I can kill pretty much anything with a critical headshot.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #280 on: 01 Dec 2009, 06:55 »

Played this for the first time last night on split screen. Super fun, I love it. Gonna pick it up on either 360 (also going to pick up a 360) or PC when I get some money.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #281 on: 01 Dec 2009, 07:07 »

If anyone gets to around level 30 and wants to maybe do some co-op, my Xbox gamertag is BeardedGlyphic. I haven't played in a few weeks because the pickup games I got into involved a lot of standing around and waiting for people to stop interrupting travel.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #282 on: 01 Dec 2009, 10:07 »

I got a revolver that looks like the trigun. It shoots seven bullets at a time. Paired with my gunslinger class mod and the better criticals perk, I can kill pretty much anything with a critical headshot.

Yeah, those Masher revolvers are pretty cool, shooting a shotgun spread like that. It allows you to be less accurate and still get major hits in. I've got a purple scoped Masher that does 200 x7, but honestly, with its two-shot mag it's easier to just use repeaters.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #283 on: 01 Dec 2009, 12:10 »

Mine only does 56X7, but it has a 6 round cylinder and has an extremely upgraded reload rate. Less than a second, even. It rules.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #284 on: 05 Dec 2009, 16:43 »

Reloading always throws my aim off, so I don't like using guns with a small clip, unless they have a low rate of fire anyway.

I find it hard to get bored of Borderlands. I have now finished the second playthrough so everything gets bumped up to level 49-51. I've respecced from Sniper/Gunslinger to Rogue/Gunslinger and I found out that the Bloodwing is actually very good when upgraded, not to mention that it drops fifty thousand dollars every time it attacks with the Swipe skill. But then I spend more time picking up loot than fighting, so I traded that off for Aerial Impact which immobilizes everything instead. Not only that, but I found a bitchin' S&S Glorious Massacre that is lots of fun to use too, as well as a load of orange-rarity shotguns.

Really, if you respec to a completely different build or start using a different class of weapon, it's so much more fun to play. Variety is the spice of murder!

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #285 on: 05 Dec 2009, 17:33 »

I will probs play Borderlands some more after I'm done with Dragon Age.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #286 on: 07 Dec 2009, 07:09 »

I just realized last night why I stopped playing. I joined a quick match which automatically assigned me all the quests of the highest-level player. This means that 50% of my available quests are past the effing bridges in Rust Commons East and I do not have the quest which lowers them yet.

ARRGGHHH.

Why did that happen it is so annoying!

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #287 on: 07 Dec 2009, 09:00 »

And it's not like you can cancel out Berserk
Maybe this has been patched over or it doesn't work in multiplayer but when I played Berserker switching to journal / inventory and back caused my berserk state to end.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #288 on: 07 Dec 2009, 14:29 »

Yeah, I read about that on the Gearbox forum too. Good to know if I'm ever starting over with Brick.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #289 on: 07 Dec 2009, 15:00 »

It should work with all the other special abilities as well.
I can't speak for the Turret since I haven't played a Soldier, but I know it also works with Bloodwing and Phasewalk.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #290 on: 07 Dec 2009, 21:27 »

Turrets are not un-deployable, and you're only able to cancel Berserk indirectly, so the Bloodwing and Phasewalk are the only two that should be cancellable. In the case of the Hunter, that's good too, because with Out For Blood combined with Bird Of Prey what you basically have is a flying full healing kit that's on callback for whenever you're running low on health.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #291 on: 09 Dec 2009, 16:58 »

Zombie Island for PC is here. I don't think I'm gonna get it, though. I don't expect it to be worth the €8. Steam auto-updated Borderlands just now, and this reset all the settings to default, as well as the things I altered in the system files. Way to go. I used to run the game on low settings, because I went with the first thing that made it run smoothly. Hell, I didn't even know what anisotropic filtering is. But then I found out that Ambient Occlusion and Dynamic Shadows take the most out of your framerate when enabled, and the rest could be set to max. The Depth of Field looked particularly nice in the way that it blurred the edges of the screen when you were aiming. It also distorts the screen when you get hit by a corrosive attack, for example. That's a bit bothersome, but I can live with it. Then someone in the Tetanus Warrens shot me down, and the screen starts fading to black. Spotting enemies inside that pitch-dark cave was hard enough, and this makes it impossible to get a second wind. Does anyone even have Depth of Field enabled?

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #292 on: 11 Dec 2009, 07:34 »

I really like this game. I'd like it more with the addition of a mini-map. I've only played on 360, but I am considering picking it up for PC because I have a PC and do not own a 360. Is it worth it to pick up for PC?
How many of you own it on PC because I'd really like to play with people I know (relatively speaking) instead of random strangers/solo. I think the huge fun of this game is in the team play and the team dynamic of starting with 3 other people at level 1 and then playing through.

My experience thus far has been lackluster because I have been playing with people (two different people at different times) ~20+ levels above me, I feel that there should be more of a challenge than letting (they do it anyways) the level 30 player take out the tough stuff.

ADDENDUM: DOESN'T MATTER BOUGHT IT FOR PC ANYWAYS.
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2009, 09:47 by Jace »
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #293 on: 11 Dec 2009, 22:04 »

I have a D/Led version for PC. No clue if you can play online with it though.

Anyway Ive finished one playthrough with Siren.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #294 on: 12 Dec 2009, 06:14 »

I'm pretty sure you can play online with a pirated version, but don't ask me how. Don't dedicated servers prevent that kind of thing, or is it just negligence on the protection?

Hey Jace, you can bring up a mini-map with tab. It's right there next to the tape icon for quests. You should add my gamespy ID: It's LTK_70. I'm sure I have a character in your level range.

To be honest, I noticed very little of the teamplay dynamic myself. When you play with three random strangers in a wide-open area teamplay doesn't exist. Everyone just goes where they feel like. If you play with a friend, you kill the stuff the other guy doesn't, and that's about it.
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2009, 06:21 by LTK »

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #295 on: 12 Dec 2009, 12:04 »

LTK, that is called a map. A mini-map is on screen the entire time, its generally small and unobtrusive, some times less detailed or semi-transparent.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #296 on: 12 Dec 2009, 15:19 »

Of course it is. I will smack myself on the back of my head now. Although I think that with the way the map is, a mini-map would be fairly useless when it comes to navigating. Loot and other interactables, however, would be useful to put there. Most everyone misses the Green Thumbs quest in Rust Commons East entirely because the quest-giver is directed to by a compass icon only, and when you kill Mothrakk the loot spreads all over the place and it can be hard to find. The compass does show you loot and interactables, but only one icon at a time.

By the way, there is a new DLC announced! It's called Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot - enough with the Mad Max references, now - and it's got three new arenas, item storage and a gameplay mode like Horde where you fight infinite enemies. That looks a lot better than the Zombie Island, I'll definitely buy it.
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2009, 16:07 by LTK »

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #297 on: 14 Dec 2009, 07:40 »

I have never been to an arena. Is there a point to it?

ackblom12

« Reply #298 on: 14 Dec 2009, 07:42 »

Not really, unless this add on drastically changes what you can do in arenas they are pretty meh.

I, on the other hand, thought the Zombie Island was fantastic. I'll probably pass up on this one and see what else they have in the works.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #299 on: 14 Dec 2009, 11:35 »

The arenas that are already in the game lock you up in a pit and send a lot of Skags or Bandits after you. The multiplayer arenas, however, require you to be in co-op before you can fight someone else. I haven't done that myself, I don't really see the point. If you ever want to fight someone you can do it on the spot. I hope they improve that with this DLC, so that players will be able to join a fight having nothing to do with joining a co-op game. No wait, that would require servers, and that would cost money, so that's probably not going to happen.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up