THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: QC vs Zombies!  (Read 138960 times)

Dollface

• Bling blang blong blung
  • And i thought there would be breasts.
QC vs Zombies!
« on: 03 Oct 2009, 13:41 »

The game

if you need motivation  here is some motivation to fight those dirty homo zombies

Okay lets keep as this as hub so we can collect info and plan to get rid of those dirty zombies.
Barfy: he needs to get on the sucking of some dick

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
Re: QC vs Zombies!
« Reply #1 on: 04 Oct 2009, 01:19 »

I'm down. Player name is Mel Odic. Currently hiding somewhere with a lot of wine, as a cop.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #2 on: 04 Oct 2009, 01:43 »

I am Layla The Dog Medic!
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #3 on: 04 Oct 2009, 03:08 »

Probably won't have any time today but I am definitely interested in taking part.

Dollface

« Reply #4 on: 04 Oct 2009, 04:30 »

Im at Tollyton sector in the Bryant Building.

my name is Deff dred and im a scout

Map

CardinalFang

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #5 on: 04 Oct 2009, 05:53 »

YAY! My characters are still there.
I couldn't make it to Tollyton. I was all the way up in Dulston.
I made it as far as Ostler Towers in Heytown. The name is C Fang and I'm Level 25 Civilian.
I also have a Level 39 Zombie somewhere and a Level 1 Military guy somewhere (I haven't re-activated them yet.)
(From Gabbly) Jodizzle: no sad deaths apart from the eaten kitten

the_pied_piper

« Reply #6 on: 04 Oct 2009, 06:47 »

I am a military medic holed up in Oates Bank in Wray Heights now looking for shelter in south Tollyton.
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2009, 10:38 by the_pied_piper »
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #7 on: 04 Oct 2009, 06:53 »

I made a new character on Friday and promptly forgot password and username. I did this about a year or so ago, for a while and... HOLY SHIT THE TRUMAN SHOW!

Have an old character named Snalin, with all pistol trainings and free running. YAY!

in Rhodenbank
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2009, 07:13 by snalin »
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #8 on: 04 Oct 2009, 10:08 »

oh, a zombie thread?

[furious 3 page masturbation about guns]

Cool, now that that is out of the way.

Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

the_pied_piper

« Reply #9 on: 04 Oct 2009, 11:14 »

I am called K'Vat Hi'Lichut and am now dead in Tollyton outside Bawden Towers. Anyone who can revive me would be extremely appreciated but be careful, for a safe area there are quite a few zombies around.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #10 on: 04 Oct 2009, 12:12 »

I'm Ignaz Wrobel, DNA Scientist guy. I'm in Tollyton. Don't sue me if I don't play daily.

Edit: Did anybody of you create a group there? If no, someone should. (Yes, I'm looking at you!)
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2009, 12:16 by Dliessmgg »
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #11 on: 04 Oct 2009, 12:44 »

name's Anders Mjolner, shopaholic.

currently sleeping in a library.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #12 on: 04 Oct 2009, 13:16 »

I'm SirJuggles, a doctor with two shiny first aid kits for anyone who needs them, and is willing to come all the way over to Grigg Heights where I started. I'm making my way east but it's slow going.

...who is now dead in a cemetery in Lerwill Heights. Trying to figure out how to get revived.
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2009, 13:36 by SirJuggles »
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #13 on: 04 Oct 2009, 16:27 »

I used to play this game a ton (as in a couple years ago) and then got bored eventually. I might hop in to revive you juggles, I'm pretty sure my character is in Lerwill Heights. I was a member of the Sebright Union, a "guild" in Lerwill Heights, and I played until I had several thousand useless XP because I'd already got all the skills for both survivors and zombies.

ADDITION: Quick tip for anyone new to the game who's playing a survivor, get Freerunning as soon as you can. It is the most important skill for survivors, and thus the first one you should get. You need Freerunning to get into the most heavily barricaded buildings.
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2009, 17:36 by jhocking »

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #14 on: 04 Oct 2009, 18:14 »

Lame I am a lab tech (gotta stick with what I know) in Shearbank in the Necrotech (or whatever it is) building. There is some guy here.

How do you barricade buildings?
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #15 on: 04 Oct 2009, 18:25 »

When you get the Construction skill you can barricade buildings. That's a worthwhile skill to get eventually, but don't worry about barricading right away, just sleep in buildings other people have barricaded. And the key to doing that is Freerunning.

Also, lab techs are one of the best classes to start as actually, because you start with a DNA Extractor and using that to tag zombies is one of the easiest ways to earn XP. The only class with a more straightforward approach to gaining XP right from the start are Firemen (just start hacking away with your axe, couldn't be more obvious.)

Pretty quickly though (I'm talking like by just level 4) it ceases to matter what your starting class was (everybody can get the same skills after all. I even knew a couple people who started as zombies and ended up playing as a survivor mostly.) Anyone can take advantage of easy paths to XP like hacking away with an axe or tagging zombies with a DNA Extractor, you just don't have the necessary equipment right from the start, you need to gain Freerunning first and then scrounge around a bit.
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2009, 18:30 by jhocking »

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #16 on: 04 Oct 2009, 18:31 »

By the way, did I mention get Freerunning? Because you should all do that.

FREEEEEEEE-

RUNNINGGGGGGGGGGGG

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #17 on: 04 Oct 2009, 18:38 »

I am out of action points. I got as far as Roachville or whatever before I had to turn around and come back. Also isn't this the game everyone was all playing on the forums years ago? This is the same game, right?
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #18 on: 04 Oct 2009, 18:43 »

Yep.

I used to play this game a ton (as in a couple years ago) and then got bored eventually.

Gryff and I tore shit up as zombies for a little while, then he got bored of the game and left, while I went back to being a survivor and joined a group in Lerwill Heights.

Nodaisho

« Reply #19 on: 04 Oct 2009, 19:09 »

So is scout best to start as then, or should you start as something easy to get XP with and then take free running? I'm thinking I will start as a firefighter and take freerunning first chance I get, followed by hand to hand proficiency.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #20 on: 04 Oct 2009, 19:33 »

Why is stepping outside so bad? Action point usage?

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #21 on: 04 Oct 2009, 19:34 »

Hm. Now waiting for a revive at the designated carpark in Lerwill Heights. Considering the pros and cons of wreaking zombie havoc for a little while? Maybe I'll just see if anyone heals me for a day or so.
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Nodaisho

« Reply #22 on: 04 Oct 2009, 19:38 »

Why is stepping outside so bad? Action point usage?
As I understand it, freerunning is so you can get through barricades without having to tear them down.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #23 on: 04 Oct 2009, 19:45 »

Yeah, the AP thing appears to just be (rather tasty!) icing.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #24 on: 04 Oct 2009, 20:04 »

Stepping outside isn't the end of the world, it's just that getting back in usually isn't easy. You should always know how to get back into a safehouse before stepping outside, or else make sure to start looking for a safe place to sleep once you're down to 10 AP (15 if you're cautious, and if you aren't cautious you probably aren't going to survive long.) If you run out of AP outside you are dead meat. I used to go days without stepping outside, only venturing out to revive people standing at revive points. If I weren't such a dedicated reviver, I probably would have avoided stepping outside ever.

Anyway what nodaisho said, the necessity of Freerunning isn't really to avoid stepping outside, it's to gain entry to EH (extra heavily barricaded) buildings. The tricky thing is you can't freerun in off the street, you can only freerun from one building to another. So you need to find what are referred to as "entry points," a building with VS (very strong) or lighter barricades.

Hm. Now waiting for a revive at the designated carpark in Lerwill Heights. Considering the pros and cons of wreaking zombie havoc for a little while?

Well the main con is that it'll be boring as hell at first. If you wanted to go the zombie route you should save up some XP first so that you can buy a couple skills when you switch sides. Without any zombie skills you'll barely ever hit, and it'll be hard enough just finding someone to attack since you won't be able to break into buildings. It's depressing going for days where you just wander aimlessly, maybe scratching ineffectually at some barricades, accomplishing nothing.

Revives are usually fast though (well they were when I played anyway, don't know what it's like anymore.) There are lots of people like me, who just dedicated themselves to reviving people all the time. Usually you just stand at a revive point and then come back in a day. Heck, if you're at the carpark then you'll probably be revived by someone from the Sebright Union, possibly one of my old buddies.

So is scout best to start as then, or should you start as something easy to get XP with and then take free running? I'm thinking I will start as a firefighter and take freerunning first chance I get, followed by hand to hand proficiency.

Starting as a scout could work, but you'd want to scrounge up some useful equipment as the first thing you do. I would suggest freerunning into an NT building and searching for a DNA Extractor, because gaining XP through combat might be hard for a scout at first.

That said, starting as a fireman is probably a faster way to build up. You'll be better at combat right from the start, and it won't take too long to get Free Running.

THAT said, it really doesn't matter because within just a couple levels you'll have the exact same skills either way, so just do whatever appeals to you more.

It's kinda sad how much I remember when I haven't played in years.

Actually, what's even sadder is that I still remember most of the rules to Dungeons and Dragons. At least the 2nd edition rules, which is the last time I played it (for reference on how long it's been since I last played it.)
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2009, 20:32 by jhocking »

Nodaisho

« Reply #25 on: 04 Oct 2009, 20:31 »

From what I understand, low leveled scouts tend to be seen as saboteurs, and might get PKed simply for that reason, so I think I'll go with firefighter, makes skills cheaper too

Okay, I'm in. Firefighter, Suentobe Dedgui.

edit: Holy cow. I spent about 30 AP attacking a zombie and hit it four times with my axe.
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2009, 20:36 by Nodaisho »

Finin

• Obscure cultural reference
  • scratch marchin'
« Reply #26 on: 04 Oct 2009, 20:41 »

My character is Jauqes which I made way before I read qc so that was just coincidence, and I am hanging around Spicer Hills in a local group but I could make an alt or just leave this group, I'll head up to Tollyton anyway.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #27 on: 04 Oct 2009, 20:42 »

Yeah so I still don't see why going outside is so dangerous. I wasted all 40 or 50 or however many of my AP wandering around Roachtown scoping out the area around Shearbank in the streets and managed to get back to the extremely heavily barricaded NecroTech building (where I started - does that make a difference?) and get in with no problems. Did I just not run into any zombies?

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #28 on: 04 Oct 2009, 20:47 »

You got into an EH building when you just started as a lab tech? huh, maybe the game is just easier now than when I played it.

edit: Holy cow. I spent about 30 AP attacking a zombie and hit it four times with my axe.

Wait'll you try searching for something. On a bad day you can blow all your AP and have shit to show for it.
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2009, 20:57 by jhocking »

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #29 on: 04 Oct 2009, 20:49 »

No but that is where my dude started. Is it easier to get into whatever building you started in, or is it just as difficult once you go outside?

Nodaisho

« Reply #30 on: 04 Oct 2009, 20:51 »

I didn't think you could get into extremely heavily barricaded buildings without taking the barricades down? I wouldn't know, as I just made note of a place nearby with very strong barricades, since my starting place was only very strongly barricaded, and had 9 people in it, which seems about the same as covering your in-game self with steak sauce. I'm in a warehouse in Tollyton just north of St. Joachims Hospital.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #31 on: 04 Oct 2009, 20:53 »

So wait katie where are you now? Because if you are outside, you will probably be killed.

Also, maybe you were expecting to be attacked while you were playing. That is very unlikely. Bear in mind that everyone else is subject to the exact same movement restrictions you are, and all of the zombies are other players (there are no computer controlled enemies.) To whit, they are unlikely to be making their 50 moves for the day at the same time that you are. Instead, you will go to bed, and when you next log into the game you'll find that a zombie has eaten you at some point in the intervening hours.
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2009, 20:55 by jhocking »

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #32 on: 04 Oct 2009, 20:54 »

Um, my dude is inside the NecroTech. I started there, wandered around outside, and came back to NecroTech. I went back inside Necrotech with no trouble at all.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #33 on: 04 Oct 2009, 20:56 »

yeah that is definitely changed from when I played. It's possible that's related to your starting position, but if I had to guess I'd say it's probably a new rule in the game that allows lab techs to enter NT buildings at will (lab techs work for Necrotech after all.)

If that's true then lab techs are now clearly the best class to start as. I'm surprised Kevan would unbalance the game like that.
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2009, 21:14 by jhocking »

Nodaisho

« Reply #34 on: 04 Oct 2009, 21:39 »

So would it be a good idea to train shotguns and try to get my hands on a few loaded ones in case I run into an active zombie?

Finin

• scratch marchin'
« Reply #35 on: 04 Oct 2009, 21:45 »

http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/Guides:A_Beginners_Guide_to_Urban_Dead

basically read the whole page and look up anything else in the game, there are maps for the whole place and maps for every neighborhood.

edit: and no you can still only enter a building from the outside if its very heavily barricaded or less, to get into heavier barricaded buildings you need free running to move from rooftop to rooftop.
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2009, 21:48 by Finin »

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #36 on: 04 Oct 2009, 22:06 »

oh wait katie are you sure you're inside the building? Maybe you just walked back to the building and are standing outside.

So would it be a good idea to train shotguns and try to get my hands on a few loaded ones in case I run into an active zombie?

Shotguns are by far the most powerful weapons in the game, but it's very unlikely you'd be able to get your hands on any when you first start out so don't worry about it. For now just concentrate on gaining XP, and the easiest way for you to do that is attacking with your axe (the axe isn't as powerful as guns, but you don't have to stop to scrounge for ammo.) Eventually you'll probably want to get in the habit of always carrying around a couple fully loaded shotguns, plus a bunch of ammo, but it'll be a while before you can stock up like that in a reasonable amount of time. Specifically, once you have Freerunning you can get in malls, and once you have Shopping you can search the gun store in the mall, and then you can probably scrape together a couple shotguns plus extra ammo in a day or two of searching.

Incidentally, as I've already pointed out it's pretty unlikely you'll ever be online at the same time as a zombie chewing you, and if you ever are your best bet is to run, so that's not the reason to carry around shotguns. The reason is that shotguns are the best way of clearing out the room if zombies break into a building. The first step to securing a building that's been breached is evicting all the rotting tenants.
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2009, 22:19 by jhocking »

Nodaisho

« Reply #37 on: 04 Oct 2009, 22:15 »

Yeah, I found the map of the entire place, nice to know, and to know what to expect barricades to be at. Hadn't seen the new player's guide, though.

edit: Okay, thanks Joe. Should I just stay at the mall while I scavenge, or should I leave to someplace that attracts less attention? I figure that if it is EHB, and constantly has a lot of people in it, it should be fine, but might be wrong.
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2009, 22:20 by Nodaisho »

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #38 on: 04 Oct 2009, 22:37 »

Man Joe you are such a dork
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Nodaisho

« Reply #39 on: 04 Oct 2009, 22:53 »

The first step to securing a building that's been breached is evicting all the rotting tenants.
It just seems bizarre to me that there wouldn't be active zombies swarming all over after that, I guess the whole 50 AP thing does that.

Finin

• scratch marchin'
« Reply #40 on: 04 Oct 2009, 23:03 »

Well if you wander into a red danger area or a gray ghost town you'll notice alot more zombie and can usually notice them moving around and could attack you while you're online.

Nodaisho

« Reply #41 on: 04 Oct 2009, 23:05 »

So pretty much the only time you will see moving zombies is if you are in a big attack on a zombie-held area or if you are stupid?

Merrick

• Larger than most fish
  • Officially Awesome
« Reply #42 on: 04 Oct 2009, 23:37 »

I am so totally doing this when I get back from college.
I am in desperate need of a life and common sense.

Quintessentially British.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #43 on: 04 Oct 2009, 23:49 »

I got eaten up pretty quick. Started another cop named Rhythmic, currently hiding in a barricaded factory in Spracklingbank. Have no idea what I'm doing, but scrounged up a handful of pistol clips and shotgun shells from a police station and plan to start hunting zombies tomorrow.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Finin

• scratch marchin'
« Reply #44 on: 04 Oct 2009, 23:56 »

So pretty much the only time you will see moving zombies is if you are in a big attack on a zombie-held area or if you are stupid?

Well all zombies are people just like survivors and their groups are generally much bigger and easier to coordinate so you find dangerous groups of zombies smaller then 150 individuals in a non-danger to moderate danger zone usually trying to take over a specific area to cut it off from survivors such as a mall or military fort.

Also there are times when all the zombie groups join up into a giant horde called the death march, they coordinate the entire horde with forums or twitters or what ever and converge on survivors from one place to the other. There is no successful group that has ever held out their home area the entire time during one of these attacks.

Zombie groups also use spy humans to infiltrate and sabotage compounds and player kill other survivors.

edit: ^ to above post^ when you die you dont need to create another character you can find a revive point which are usually somewhere in the immediate area of a necro tech building, wait there and you will soon be revived by a necro tech specialist
« Last Edit: 05 Oct 2009, 00:00 by Finin »

Nodaisho

« Reply #45 on: 05 Oct 2009, 00:03 »

There is no successful group that has ever held out there home area the entire time during one of these attacks.
I can see why, 10 (or even 15) AP to get back up is a lot better than the survivors get, unless the survivors rise and keep fighting against the death march while zombified, but that would get confusing, survivors attacking friendly zombies.

I would kind of want to see what would happen if thousands of zombies and thousands of survivors fought, though. Probably the server would crash, I doubt it is used to having to calculate that much in that small of an area.

Dollface

« Reply #46 on: 05 Oct 2009, 03:03 »

now im in Pitneybank sector and in the MacMillan Hotel.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #47 on: 05 Oct 2009, 03:16 »

We need to start the QC hivemind up again for this.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #48 on: 05 Oct 2009, 03:57 »

I made a zombie, and don't you know, so jackass came by and revived him!

I was probably standing in a revival zone. Oh well. I'll get some xp to spend as a zombie.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #49 on: 05 Oct 2009, 04:54 »

I can see why, 10 (or even 15) AP to get back up is a lot better than the survivors get

Actually it's even better/worse than that, because one of the zombie skills allows you to spend just 1 AP to get back up. As a result there is no point to killing zombies in the street other than gaining XP; the only time killing zombies gives any sort of long-term advantage is tossing the bodies out if they break into a building.

The game is only loosely based on reality and/or what you'd expect, as you've already noted about how it's kinda weird that you don't normally encounter active zombies. Combat tends to be pretty pointless other than gaining XP, you need a special skill in order to shop in the mall, etc. A lot of weird and seemingly arbitrary rules are there that make a lot of sense for balancing out the game and making things more fun. After all, only getting 50 moves a day is already a pretty weird and arbitrary limitation that keeps the game balanced for people who can only log on for like half an hour a day.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32   Go Up