THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: QC vs Zombies!  (Read 138999 times)

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Re: QC vs Zombies!
« Reply #200 on: 07 Oct 2009, 13:35 »

Ok, syringes, can I only find them by searching Necrotech buildings or can I find them in hospitals?

Only Necrotech buildings. It's a moot point right now anyway because you can't use them without the Lab Experience skill. Remember you want to get Freerunning before any other skills, so by the time you have the revive skill you'll be able to enter Necrotech buildings.

Once you do get Lab Experience then reviving others is probably the best way for a lab tech to gain XP. Although it's a ton of effort to do revives, the payoff is 10 XP per revive, not to mention there's another survivor back on their feet who can help defend against the zombies.

Thank you. I think i will hole up here for a while then maybe venture over to some hospitals to try and get some supplies for my medic or maybe just try to kill some zombies for experience.

If you are a medic then healing others is probably a better way for you to gain XP than combat. I don't think medics start out with Diagnosis though, and without that skill you won't be sure who needs healing, so until then maybe combat actually would be the best idea, hm...
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2009, 13:54 by jhocking »

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #201 on: 07 Oct 2009, 13:37 »

Okay so I would like to congregate but I have no sense of direction at all. I'm in Foulkes Village. Where is it that people are meeting? Anywhere specific?
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #202 on: 07 Oct 2009, 13:39 »

Not really a specific building, but at least in the suburb of Pegton.  A map was posted earlier.
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #203 on: 07 Oct 2009, 13:44 »

Yeah there's a map on the UD wiki, and the wiki is linked from the game site.

Expanding on my thoughts earlier about healing being the best way for a medic to gain XP, but without Diagnosis you won't be able to see who needs healing (that's the skill to see other people's HP) then what you should probably do is spend most of your AP scrounging up FAKs in a hospital and then find a safehouse with a bunch of other survivors and just wait for someone to ask for healing. Just don't wait in the hospital itself, because those are probably the most frequently broken into buildings of all.

Along the same lines, if you need healing then make sure to tell the doctors/medics so that they know. Ideally you'll be in the same building as them and simply ask in the game for a heal.

Does anyone know what it means when there are people with Freerunning in a VS building? I'm not sure what it signifies, but it sure seems suspicious that they don't freerun over to an EH building. If this is a sign of zombie spies, then the building I (and a couple other Serious Ponies) am in is about to be attacked, crap.
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2009, 14:02 by jhocking »

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #204 on: 07 Oct 2009, 14:02 »

Some people might just be too lazy to spend that extra AP or 2, or maybe they cut it really close getting back inside.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #205 on: 07 Oct 2009, 14:02 »

Oh another general tip I thought of, everyone make sure to stop by a police station at some point and search for a flak jacket. So to recap, the three general tips I've thrown out so far that apply to everyone:

When you get your first skill, pick Freerunning (unless of course you are a Scout and thus started with Freerunning.)

Carry around at least one FAK at all times, so that when a zombie infects you, you can heal yourself.

Find a flak jacket. You only have to do that once and then the flak jacket lasts forever, reducing the amount of damage you take. Personally I would say don't spend the AP on this until you've gained a couple levels first, because police stations are frequently barricaded too high for newbies to enter, and then you just wasted AP you could have spent gathering XP.
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2009, 14:07 by jhocking »

Nodaisho

« Reply #206 on: 07 Oct 2009, 14:08 »

I managed to run into an active zombie, and he got me down to 18 HP while I was looking at the map planning my next move. I'm in the McDonald Drive fire station in Pegton, anyone that can get there and heal me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is there any way to set your default weapon to being something other than punch? I wasted a lot of AP before realizing that I was trying to punch a zombie to death rather than using my axe.

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • om nom nom nom
« Reply #207 on: 07 Oct 2009, 14:11 »

I'm right by where you are, actually.  Gonna go over n' heal.

Edit: So the freerunning skill lets you enter all those buildings on the map labeled "EHB"?
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2009, 14:14 by SWOON! at My Gravitas »

Nodaisho

« Reply #208 on: 07 Oct 2009, 14:17 »

Thanks, Swoon. If anyone else wants to get in on it, I'm still at 23 health, plenty of XP to be had.

From how I understand it, freerunning lets you get from one building to another without going onto the street. So you find a VSB building, go in there, and then go across to the EHB buildings with freerunning.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #209 on: 07 Oct 2009, 15:10 »

I am sleeping in St. Siricius's Hospital in Pegton, all out of AP to do anything. Is anyone else in the area?
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #210 on: 07 Oct 2009, 15:12 »

Some people might just be too lazy to spend that extra AP or 2, or maybe they cut it really close getting back inside.

One of those guys just healed me, so he's obviously not a zombie spy. I guess your explanation is the most likely one, just seems odd to me.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #211 on: 07 Oct 2009, 16:49 »

Yeah so this game is pretty boring. It takes over half my AP to do 9 damage to a zombie, and I'm a fireman.

Edit: here's my dude? http://www.urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=1628789
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #212 on: 07 Oct 2009, 16:57 »

Well it never gets fast paced, but it does get easier at higher levels. If you're packing some shotguns and you're skilled with them you can lay waste to several zombies easily with one day's AP, particularly if you're doing something like a fort or mall siege where you're never far from ammo and people will be running generators to keep the search rates high. Low levels are very much about being afraid, fairly useless and in constant danger, which is really very appropriate since everyone's going to suck at the start of the zombie apocalypse.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #213 on: 07 Oct 2009, 17:08 »

Right, so SirJuggles made the run to Tollyton and found a Fire Station to hide out in with a few other people. Once I get some rest I'll try and meet you all in Pegton. But I'm honestly not sure how long I'll be sticking with this, it does seem a bit... lacking when you realize that the point of the game is not to beat the zombies, but simply to continue existing.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Nodaisho

« Reply #214 on: 07 Oct 2009, 17:10 »

Yeah so this game is pretty boring. It takes over half my AP to do 9 damage to a zombie, and I'm a fireman.
Some of that is luck, I think. On average as a 1st level fireman, it should take 12 attacks to do 9 damage (25% hit, 3 damage per hit), it just varies greatly depending on how the dice like you at the time.

Also note that once you get hand to hand combat, you will have a 40% chance to hit with your axe, you get stronger as the levels go up, but not any more durable, unless you take bodybuilder.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #215 on: 07 Oct 2009, 17:15 »

alright, added some new names to my contacts.

still in the Dinham (or something) Police Department in Pegton with some other people. gonna hang around here probably until tomorrow then i'm gonna use as much of my AP as necessary to try to find a Flak Jacket and hopefully a shotgun (i've got a couple of shotgun shells that i found earlier)
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #216 on: 07 Oct 2009, 17:28 »

Well it never gets fast paced, but it does get easier at higher levels.

eh, if he doesn't like it he doesn't like it, the game's definitely not for everyone. Specifically, it's not a game about fast action or being a badass, so if that's what you want then this ain't it. The enjoyment in UD comes from the social interaction (cooperating with other survivors, deciding who to trust) and the satisfaction of carefully planning out and executing detailed strategies. Hell, if you read the wiki pages about combat it actually breaks down the average damage per AP for different situations; thinking like that definitely only appeals to a certain kind of person (specifically, a very nerdy person.)

EDIT: This post is pretty much repeating something I already said on a previous page, heh
http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,23983.msg866711.html#msg866711
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2009, 17:35 by jhocking »

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #217 on: 07 Oct 2009, 17:43 »

Personally the thing I always liked best was the strange groups you got and the ridiculous histories people would make up for them. It's definitely something where the game itself is only part of it and the real fun comes from getting a group together to do, well, whatever it is you decide is worth doing (I always thought that was better than having some defined end goal).

However, the early few levels can be a bit of a grind since there's very little you can do. I very nearly gave up the first time I played it until I realised just how much faster you gained XP and could therefore expand the range of things you could get up to once you had a few handy skills under your belt. However, you're totally right in that you have to be a certain kind of person to be really pleased the day you realise you can finally install generators.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #218 on: 07 Oct 2009, 18:23 »

Personally the thing I always liked best was the strange groups you got and the ridiculous histories people would make up for them.

my old group's page

My original character's profile described him as reviving people to try to make amends to the sin of being an employee of the corporation that caused the zombie infestation. So yeah, making up stories to roleplay is fun.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #219 on: 07 Oct 2009, 18:45 »

Okay so my old dude died and I am now Guillermo Gigante
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Finin

• Obscure cultural reference
  • scratch marchin'
« Reply #220 on: 08 Oct 2009, 02:08 »

Alright I decided to make a new character to start anew. His name is Fininin, joined serious ponies and heading to pegton

CardinalFang

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #221 on: 08 Oct 2009, 03:20 »

When I logged in this morning I found that a survivor had entered the building I am in and had asked to be "faked" because she was infected.
It was only after I'd healed her and cured her infection and that read her description.
"Somewhat tall, slender, long red hair and amethyst purple eyes; Fox ears poke out from her hair and a long, bushy fox tail protrudes from a hole ripped into the back of her denim shorts. Her blue denim shorts and white blouse are torn and bloodstained."
We nearly had a Furry Zombie.
(From Gabbly) Jodizzle: no sad deaths apart from the eaten kitten

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #222 on: 08 Oct 2009, 05:59 »

So do you want to go somewhere or just kind of use this as a center of operations? I'm pretty sure I can find zombies to tag within range.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #223 on: 08 Oct 2009, 06:13 »

Hey guys, I finally made it to Pegton, where are you guys hanging out?

I'm at St. Birgitta's Church, bashing on a zombie, but I'll probably head into the Dingham police thingy when I run out of AP, which is soon.

EDIT: oh oops, fell asleep.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

CardinalFang

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #224 on: 08 Oct 2009, 06:13 »

So do you want to go somewhere or just kind of use this as a center of operations? I'm pretty sure I can find zombies to tag within range.

I've no problem staying here. I noticed earlier that the barricades were down to Loosely Barricaded and built them back up.
You go out and tag stuff and I'll keep the home fires burning. I will need to go out and get more First Aid Kits though.
I keep falling while Free Running between buildings.
(From Gabbly) Jodizzle: no sad deaths apart from the eaten kitten

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #225 on: 08 Oct 2009, 06:26 »

I went to St. Birgitta's church and attacked the zombie, but they're still alive/a zombie. Now I'm sleeping it off. Stupid police station is too heavily barricaded, and I couldn't get onto any roofs in the area so I could free run around and get in that way.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #226 on: 08 Oct 2009, 08:22 »

Ok somehow I keep running out of moves on the server. There are 160 allowed from one IP per day. I don't think I've been playing after midnight, and I only have two dudes. I am not using AOL or some other service that reuses IPs. What the fuck.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #227 on: 08 Oct 2009, 08:28 »

I am a little tempted to get Diagnosis now that I have enough XP for that, but really I should hold out for Freerunning and get Diagnosis or Lab Experience after that. (different skills cost different amounts depending on your character class.)

Ok somehow I keep running out of moves on the server. There are 160 allowed from one IP per day. I don't think I've been playing after midnight, and I only have two dudes. I am not using AOL or some other service that reuses IPs. What the fuck.

That is pretty annoying. I don't know what actions count against the 160 limit. For example, does simply checking someone's profile count toward the limit? That is a call to the UD database after all.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #228 on: 08 Oct 2009, 08:32 »

I think so. I nearly ran out of moves yesterday and I used to play two characters regularly, the only thing I could think of as being different was that I was checking a lot of profiles from here in order to add them to my contacts list.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #229 on: 08 Oct 2009, 09:29 »

Oh, hey, apparently I'm dead. Stupid zombies.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Puki

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #230 on: 08 Oct 2009, 09:57 »

I'm outside St Elisabeth's hospital, and it's barricaded, and I'm infected - down to 2 hp. Is someone around?

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • om nom nom nom
« Reply #231 on: 08 Oct 2009, 10:04 »

Woo!  Heal!

Now I just need to find a barricaded building that I can enter.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #232 on: 08 Oct 2009, 10:19 »

I'm outside St Elisabeth's hospital, and it's barricaded, and I'm infected - down to 2 hp. Is someone around?

The cemetery right next to you is a revive point. No reason, just sayin'.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #233 on: 08 Oct 2009, 10:33 »

Fell asleep in a fire station in Tollyton and woke up dead. In hindsight, I probably should have realized the VSB entry point for a mall would be a big target.
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #234 on: 08 Oct 2009, 10:35 »

dang. fell asleep in the street, like, 2 or 3 blocks from my destination.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #235 on: 08 Oct 2009, 11:17 »

oh man, I forgot how hilarious some of the wiki pages are:
http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/Ridleybank#RRF_Building_Code

Nodaisho

« Reply #236 on: 08 Oct 2009, 11:37 »

The 160 limit resets at midnight GMT, as I understand it. Could that impact your IP hits issue?

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #237 on: 08 Oct 2009, 11:54 »

I'm moving out of Pegton for a few days to get ammo, since all of the police depots there are EHB. Really want my free-running.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #238 on: 08 Oct 2009, 12:06 »

Moving out of your home suburb frequently is perfectly normal. For example, I keep going south of Pegton to find zombies to tag and return to sleep because there seem to be a lot of VS buildings. Meanwhile, once I get a few levels I expect to do most of my resupplying in the malls nearby; that again would mean leaving Pegton itself.

Don't feel the need to stay within Pegton's borders all the time, but don't go far either.

Nodaisho

« Reply #239 on: 08 Oct 2009, 12:43 »

Yeah, if you are doing a lab tech, you pretty much have to go into a yellow/orange area to find zombies to tag, since you can only get 4 XP off of each. Pegton doesn't have much stuff, but Pitneybank just north of it has everything. It is farther away from zombie hotspots, though, so it is probably good that we picked Pegton to operate out of for now.

ackblom12

« Reply #240 on: 08 Oct 2009, 13:15 »

Stephen Hamhands is properly named apparently. 25 AP, and managed to hit a zombie 3 times with said AP before retreating back into the hospital. He was a "Special" volunteer.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #241 on: 08 Oct 2009, 13:43 »

Although the page says it is about mall sieges, really it's just generally how UD play works:
http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/Guides:The_Mall_Defence_Manifesto

In particular, note how disdainful he is of trenchers.

ADDITION: I don't agree with everything on this page about trenchers (for example, if they were obsessed with cading then they'd actually be useful) but it gives you the gist.
http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/Trenchcoat

On this page note the bits about how total victory would actually be bad for this game, and that you should always remember the zombies are players too:
http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/Trenchcoater/definition
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2009, 14:19 by jhocking »

Puki

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #242 on: 08 Oct 2009, 15:47 »

The cemetery right next to you is a revive point. No reason, just sayin'.
Yeah, I should have really rtfm. Sorry about that :D

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #243 on: 08 Oct 2009, 15:58 »

Actually, what I meant is you're probably about to die. After that, go to the cemetery for a revive.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #244 on: 08 Oct 2009, 16:59 »

I'm in St. Elisabeth's Hostpital in Pegton and I have an extra FAK. anybody nearby need a little boost or an infection cure? come on by. the hospital is VHB but the church next door is enterable.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #245 on: 08 Oct 2009, 17:44 »

SWM: Here to fak everyone.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #246 on: 08 Oct 2009, 17:51 »

it's all i can do to get any XP. i've got a pool cue and a pistol but fighting seems to mostly be a waste of time at this point so i've just been scouring this hospital for FAKs and i'm rarely hurt or even in any danger, for that matter so i figure the best thing i can do is use 'em on people who actually need them.

Freerunning Combat Layabout Medic, at your service!

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #247 on: 08 Oct 2009, 17:52 »

Yep, SirJuggles is in a similar situation in. Currently asleep after scrounging for FAK's in St. Matthews in Pegton. Bah freerunning, why must you be so expensive for doctors?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #248 on: 08 Oct 2009, 17:54 »

hah! i was just wondering why doctor skills must be so expensive for freerunners!

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #249 on: 08 Oct 2009, 19:52 »

Yep, SirJuggles is in a similar situation in.

Ah but you have Diagnosis, and that makes a ton of difference. It's a lot easier to get experience through healing when you can see who is injured.

Personally SWM I'd say search a fire station for an axe to hack at zombies with. Your hit percentage will be pathetically low, it's true, but it'll still be a way to gain XP while waiting for people to ask for heals. Then pick up Hand to Hand combat as your first skill (because you're military, combat skills are only 75 XP) to make hacking with an axe hit more often.

It's a tough call though, because Diagnosis would be really useful for you too. If they were the same XP cost the choice would be clearer, but since healing skills will cost you twice as much XP as combat skills I would say going for a combat skill early on would be your best bet.

Incidentally, did you heal puki? He probably wouldn't still be there but I'm curious if you'd seen his message and healed him. He was right outside the building you're in.

« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2009, 20:07 by jhocking »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32   Go Up