THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Where you work at  (Read 9974 times)

BlakeJustBlake

• Furry furrier
  • I am not Michel Foucault
    • Facebook
Where you work at
« on: 09 Oct 2009, 16:50 »

There's been a lot of talk in qc of jobs and school and such. So how's that work out for you? I know there's a range of people here who are already in careers, still in college, working part time gigs.

Personally I'm unemployed. I was working at a pizza place, they'd cook up a bunch of pizzas and I'd take them out to businesses around lunch time and try to sell them, or sometimes I'd go out at night and sell them to drunk people. But then I got in a wreck and my car is out of service. So I'm looking for something now, trying to apply at an on campus cafeteria.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
Re: Where you work at
« Reply #1 on: 09 Oct 2009, 17:45 »

Grocery store, full time awesometeer that's what.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #2 on: 09 Oct 2009, 18:16 »

Morning I work at FedEx Ground pushing boxes around and sorting tiny boxes and repackaging beat up boxes and fixing labels and having a good time.

Evenings and weekends I work at Bath and Body Works, selling mildly overpriced but fantastic lotion to Canadians.

These are pretty okay jobs.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #3 on: 09 Oct 2009, 18:18 »

Wal-Mart Deli.

I win (lose?).
Hate, rain on me

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #4 on: 09 Oct 2009, 18:24 »

I work at a cafe in Newtown (Sydney), called Citrus.

I am one of nine people who work out the front. 6 of us are waitresses, 3 are baristas, one is the owner and three of them are related. Everyone is a little bit strange, but that is not that surprising. The meals we have are huge, but still fairly cheap, which I think is why we get a fair amount of business (even though it has been ridiculously slow lately). We have just changed cake suppliers recently, and the new cakes look so delicious that I always consider just having cake for my lunch/dinner, rather than proper food.

The guys in the kitchen are also fairly strange. One guy is almost obsessed with his muscles (on my first shift there I caught him checking himself out in the glass door of the microwave); one guy doesn't know much English and has a lisp, which makes it even harder to understand him, though I am getting better; the other two guys have the same name, which is really confusing when they are both working. One of them has taken to saying good morning to me whenever he sees me, even though lately I haven't worked in the morning at all, then laughing at me when I explain that it is afternoon/evening.

A strange coincidence that happened a few weeks ago has resulted in almost everyone who works there is going to the same gym. One of the girls signed up, convinced two of the kitchen guys to join the next day (I joined up at the same time, but didn't have anything to do with that),  then she got the boss to join, and he signed up his wife, who also works there. I have yet to see any of them when I go there, but I am now worried I will. We are a strange, motley group, but everyone seems happy there, even the people who end up working 15 hour shifts, so it's a pretty nice place to work.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #5 on: 09 Oct 2009, 18:30 »

Financial investment company.  Secretary to one of the big wigs.  It's pretty fun most of the time, and the benefits are good, so whatever.  I like the stable schedule since it gives me the ability to plan the rest of my time.
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #6 on: 09 Oct 2009, 20:19 »

Station Manager at a local public access television station. I make tv shows, play with green screens, decide scheduling, interview rock and roll peoples, and get glad handed by politicians.
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #7 on: 09 Oct 2009, 20:54 »

Call center for a pharmaceutical support program. Calling insurance companies to check patient benefits for a drug treatment. Next week, I learn how to answer the phones..
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #8 on: 09 Oct 2009, 21:00 »

soldier in the US Army. my time is dictated by whatever my Sgt wants. but mostly i work a 6a-9p day. the worst is when i work a 24 hour shift that happens to fall on a weekend
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #9 on: 09 Oct 2009, 21:09 »

I work at an art supply store. Lately I've been helping new art students buy supplies, hauling big ass boxes of boards around, making (meaning drawing, cutting out, and hanging) large window displays, and yelling crazy shoplifters out of my store. One of my coworkers and I are currently waging war over one of the elevators in our building with a bunch of stupid ass kids from the college next door. I am confident that we will succeed.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

allison

• Bling blang blong blung
  • i really want a mustache
« Reply #10 on: 09 Oct 2009, 21:11 »

I am a "sales associate" at HMV, a major retail chain that sells entertainment (movies, music, books, etc).
Then I work 2 days a week at a power company doing customer service and data entry.
On Sunday mornings, people give me their infants so I can tell them about Jesus for a few hours - but instead we just play with toys.
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #11 on: 09 Oct 2009, 21:14 »

at the moment i am a sales associate at eddie bauer and a "technology consultant" at staples business depot which basically means i'm still a sales associate but one who gets to occasionally boss the other associates around. the first job sucks my asshole but the second one is actually pretty fun! mainly because i am literally the only female in the technology department but it's not a weird thing, everyone just treats me like one of the guys and it's sort of fun and challenging. with any luck hopefully i will be doing that full time within the next month or so and my days of juggling two part-time jobs and selling clothing can finally be over forever. i also occasionally work as a volunteer administrative assistant/relief worker at a homeless shelter for youth, which is a little closer to what i want to do with my life but i'm still working on the steps involved in actually getting that to happen.
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2009, 22:07 by tania »
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

philharmonic

• Furry furrier
« Reply #12 on: 09 Oct 2009, 21:36 »

yay another meme...
My day job .... test technician at an electronics contract manufacturer i've nicknamed PTHell.
My part-time evening job ....... delivery driver for Lordco.

oh and the day job pays the bills but the evening job keeps me sane ('cause its fun LOL)
*was getting tired of that slug*

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #13 on: 09 Oct 2009, 22:07 »

I work as a "customer service agent" (which makes me think I should get a code name or a gun or something) at a call centre for one of the toll-road operators in Sydney. People call up and pay their bills and their fines and complain and set up accounts and complain and make enquiries about how to get to different places and complain and so far I have succeeded in not shooting myself in the face. The fact that I am really really good at this job just makes me even more depressed. If I don't get into uni I'm going to try for a full-time job in a bookstore or something. I don't want to work in a call centre for another year.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #14 on: 09 Oct 2009, 22:39 »

I work at the local pub, I mean the only pub that a resonable person would frequent around here. I just got home from work, utterly drunk and with about €70 in cash, so I guess it's a pretty good job. I basically get paid to get drunk with my friends.

edit: recently I worked construction for a month, that was a pretty good gig, too.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #15 on: 09 Oct 2009, 22:44 »

I work in the Fiber Development Lab at the Lab for Laser Energetics.  I try to discover interesting things about fibers, or at least demonstrate that interesting things about fibers are actually true (if you've ever heard of Marcuse, awesome).  I am also grading papers, holding four office hours a week and trying to come up with demos for an undergraduate lasers course.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #16 on: 10 Oct 2009, 00:02 »

I used to work in a retail store selling records and video games, and movies, and whatnot. Now, I've moved to their warehouse, where I mostly scan things in and out, and lift boxes, and all that jazz.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #17 on: 10 Oct 2009, 00:12 »

(in b4 Ally's awesome job)
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Nodaisho

« Reply #18 on: 10 Oct 2009, 00:53 »

I work as a "customer service agent" (which makes me think I should get a code name or a gun or something)
Or a miniskirt, stilettos, and too much make-up. Thank god I can shut down my mental image facilities.

I'm currently unemployed, it doesn't help that I have applied to most places around here to no avail, so I'm really slow about re-applying because after you fill out 15 applications with no more than two automated thank you but we aren't interested in hiring you emails in return, it gets pretty damn discouraging. I'm thinking about applying to deliver pizzas once I have a car, and I've been applying to a lot of bookstores. It doesn't help that I don't really get out much and don't have any previous jobs, so I have very few people to be my personal references.

If only paper routes didn't pay like shit, I would do that. They are a lot of fun, at least for someone that likes driving and being out in the middle of the night when nobody else is.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

evilbobthebob

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • They're talking about me of course
« Reply #19 on: 10 Oct 2009, 02:11 »

I'm in the same boat as you Nodaisho. Applied to every job that turns up, but nothing works out. Closest I got was an interview for a job that I only applied for on the off chance they'd want to employ me. Turns out they didn't. I'm currently in the "fuck employment" mindset.
http://www.last.fm/user/evilbobthebob <- Look I have no taste!

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #20 on: 10 Oct 2009, 03:01 »

I'm at school just now but in the summer I worked as a programmer for an oil services company in Aberdeen. I really enjoyed it, I was basically allowed to just be a nerd and sit in front of a computer all day, doing something that interests me. However, I later discovered that another part of this company was contracted to build some of Guantanamo Bay.

Quote from: Ptommydski
...the point where they can feasibly justify having me killed

I am now waiting for Tommy's body to be dredged up from the harbour. They're an oil company, they don't need justification.
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2009, 03:03 by BlahBlah »

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #21 on: 10 Oct 2009, 03:04 »

I work as a "customer service agent" (which makes me think I should get a code name or a gun or something)
Or a miniskirt, stilettos, and too much make-up. Thank god I can shut down my mental image facilities.

Thanks, my job wasn't humiliating enough already. Seriously, I try to avoid answering the question "so what do you do?" because I'm so ashamed of the answer. Fuck my life.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

FIXDIX

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #22 on: 10 Oct 2009, 03:10 »

Grocery store. I stack shit that you buy, bitches.

evilbobthebob

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #23 on: 10 Oct 2009, 04:07 »

Hmm. So much for fuck employment. Walk into a local hotel/bar/restaurant, they're so desperate for staff the manager asks me, with no experience, to turn up tonight and have a go. So there I'll be, in a busy bar on Saturday night wondering what the hell I should be doing. Oh well.

BlakeJustBlake

• Furry furrier
  • I am not Michel Foucault
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: 10 Oct 2009, 04:24 »

That's a lot how my pizza job worked, I went in and mentioned my friend who worked there and they asked me to come in the next day. but it wasn't like a real job, as far as I really know it was just a drug front.

I worked at a movie theater for a couple weeks once, but then I slept through a day of work accidentally and fucked that up. I'm thinking about just moving somewhere else and looking for whatever I can unless there's nothing then moving again.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #25 on: 10 Oct 2009, 06:24 »

I am currently an unemployed, penniless student but I used to work part time in a supermarket. I'm hoping never to have to go back to that (not because I disliked it but because hopefully I will get fun internships and vacation schemes and be on track to getting an awesome job when I graduate).

Incidentally Tommy I googled the phrase "oil exploration company based in Aberdeen and London" because it sounded like it might be a press release and I wanted to find out which one, and you used the exact same phrase on SGR.

Still don't know who you are a spy for, though.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

CardinalFang

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #26 on: 10 Oct 2009, 07:00 »

I work for a municipal government in the Public Utilities department.
I am a drafting tech GIS tech engineering tech. They like to change our job title occasionally. My little section keeps track of where all the water and sewer lines run and makes the occasional map showing where the water and sewer lines are located. I get to check other peoples work and make sure they didn't screw something up. It's a good thing I do this.
I've been there 22 years and am not likely to go anywhere anytime soon.
The work is mostly okay.
(From Gabbly) Jodizzle: no sad deaths apart from the eaten kitten

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #27 on: 10 Oct 2009, 08:33 »

I am a lowly codemonkey in a gigantic software-churning hate machine in Burnaby.

And when I'm not doing that I have half of a cafe to keep me busy.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #28 on: 10 Oct 2009, 10:29 »

If I could have a job, I would work at the pool near my house.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Coward

• FIGHT YOU
  • Carries on, a wayward son.
« Reply #29 on: 10 Oct 2009, 10:47 »

By day: a mild-mannered photographer/journalist/librarian/street-cleaner.

By night: a fearless vigilante, fighting crime in our once proud city's underbelly.

(The above might not be true.)
Quote from: Buckaroo Banzai
Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, 'cos, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #30 on: 10 Oct 2009, 12:07 »

I work at a mobile X-ray company here in OKC. We send techs to nursing homes, home healths, assisted living, baby nurseries, and prisons to do X-rays on patients that can't otherwise make it to a hospital. I work in the office answering phones and filing papers and talking to nurses and sending x-rays to radiologists. It's a pretty awesome company, because is is small, but makes a shit-ton of money. The bosses are the kind of people that are really loyal to the employees and they often buy things for me like breakfast and stuff for no reason. I just got a raise, and I am also training to work weekends, so I can earn time-and-a-half one weekend a month. It is a really great job.

Also, my boss is kind of crazy, and I really love him, but the stories I would tell about him would really just make him sound like an asshole to anyone who doesn't know him, but he really isn't!

Reed

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #31 on: 10 Oct 2009, 12:15 »

I am a miserable PhD student in microbiology. I essentially sit in a lab all day showing undergrads and MS students how to do things that they should have learned a long time ago and getting very little time for my research that is going nowhere anyways.

On the upside I can occasionally come into work drunk and if I'm really tired I can just sleep on my desk.

Oh, and I'm also a tutor for university athletes. I help general biology students who are struggling with really easy concepts and I have some human genetics students, which is a class I'm really not qualified to tutor for.
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

chowburger

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #32 on: 10 Oct 2009, 12:32 »

Two days a week, I help confused university students write essays. It's the best job ever, and the pay ain't too shabby. And when there aren't any students to tutor, I get paid to do my own college work.

One day a week I do market research for a web development company, which is kind of eh but may lead to full time work when I graduate next spring.

Annnnd I also write a blog for a clothes company in Denmark in exchange for free clothes, if that counts as a job.

vegkitkat

• Furry furrier
  • Mysterious as the dark side of the moon
« Reply #33 on: 10 Oct 2009, 14:51 »

I am a university student, but for the sweet, sweet cash money I am also a lab demonstrator for inductory organic chemistry.  The lab is supposed to be about 4 hours long; I usually am there for 5 hours. 
The job mainly consists of me getting flints for people so they can light bunsen burners.  My favorite part of the job: telling people to keep their damn safety glasses on. If I tell you three times, you're out of the lab.

My students are actually pretty cool. One of them gave me a cupcake the other day.
Life is not a constant thing,
It's only made of short stories.

Cernunnos

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • What
« Reply #34 on: 10 Oct 2009, 16:19 »

I am a technical assistant for a wood and metal sculpture shop at an art school, during extensive and largely disastrous renovations in which we lost two thirds of our floor space. Meanwhile the number of students with access to the shop has doubled. I spend a lot of my time ordering things and running errands and showing people how to use things and giving workstudy students odd jobs. And very much like Vegkitkat I spend a fair bit of time ensuring that students are wearing their safety glasses and ear protection and proper clothes and all that stuff. It's both fun and extremely stressful. It's also a tremendous learning experience.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #35 on: 10 Oct 2009, 18:36 »

I am a production assistant at a mediumish company that makes slot machine and online casual games. Recently we have toned this side of the company down somewhat because we have started work on a new project.

We are creating a brand new enormous TOP SECRET online fantasy trading card wargame. I spend my days researching TCGs and RTSs and any and all computer or tabletop games ever, consulting with the artists on what their wizards and dragons and elves should look like, writing campaign scenarios and backstory, assisting the animators, play testing (my Necromancer deck is pretty awesome) and trying to figure out how the software should look and work. Our office is crowded with kooky artists and fantasy paraphernalia, and if you don't have at least six action figures and a bunch of dice and nerdy posters at your desk you are behind the pack.

It is the biggest fluke that I got this job as I was originally hired as an assistant to the receptionist and to take care of timesheets and clean the kitchen, but when they realised I was super keen to help with the new project I was promoted and given all these amazing responsibilities. My office and co-workers and bosses are also completely awesome (and smack in the middle of the Sydney CBD) and we have amazing benefits and get fed every day and, on whatever occasion we can think of, alcoholed. I freaking love my job.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #36 on: 10 Oct 2009, 18:52 »

I am an IT tech at my university's business school. The bulk of my job involves creating images and deploying them to computers. Basically it's like rubber-stamping computer systems. I just finished up creating a computer that has all of our software on it that you can remote into from anywhere you have internet access, and from now on I'll probably be researching how to use Windows Automated Installation Kit on a facility-wide level. We've been using Symantec Ghost and man, is that a shit program, whose shittiness is compounded by the fact that you have to pay for it. WAIK comes free with Windows, and integrates seamlessly with all of our systems. If I can get it to work, it will cut down the hassle of this job considerably. Plus I'll get a big gold star.
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2009, 18:55 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #37 on: 10 Oct 2009, 18:59 »

ITT: we talk about how much we would like to stuff Lunchy in a trunk somewhere and take over her job.

At the moment I'm an IT contractor with an investment bank, which basically means I do all the IT gruntwork like moving computers around, re-imaging pcs before someone else uses them, changing printer toner, etc.  It's pretty low-level and boring, but they pay me relatively well for the level of work.  I would love to be able to come in next week with an updated description due to getting a better job, but I dunno, the job market here is pretty depressed at the moment.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #38 on: 10 Oct 2009, 20:30 »

Unemployed (hopefully just for now), was a dishwasher before this.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #39 on: 10 Oct 2009, 20:58 »

I also work at a call center only for an Evil Bank. Not the biggest Evil Bank, it's actually pretty moderately Evil compared to others. Like Jimmy's call center job, mostly I listen to people complain only sometimes I egg them on a little bit. I get threatened by doctors actually all the time (yes sir, i understand you are a physician. you are also late.) It is also a lot of hand holding for every single thing and lots of helping customers add things and also lots of telling them that they are responsible for their own credit card. (some customers are okay but not very many) (i totally yelled at one guy once, it was awesome) (and i didn't get in trouble for it, he was that big of a dick)
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

MrDorman

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #40 on: 10 Oct 2009, 21:07 »

Next month I start a seasonal job answering customer service emails. Last year I did this they forced us to answer the phones all day for at least a week which I hated, but they pay is good.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #41 on: 10 Oct 2009, 22:23 »

I help people with their homeworks and get paid for that.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

BrilliantEraser

• The German Chancellory building
  • We're kings among runaways
    • Brilliant Eraser Productions
« Reply #42 on: 10 Oct 2009, 22:47 »

I am currently in college, but when I am home over holidays I work at a dog grooming shop! The work is pretty tough (not exaggerating, I was seriously mauled by a cat), and some of the customers suck (owner of said cat offered to pay my medical bills, but then failed to follow through), but I overall love my job.

Some of my favorite clients:

Simba does not go anywhere without a buddy

Cosmo loves to be fashionable

And Chewie sports a fabulous mohawk
Quote from: Khar
*bloop bloop bloop*

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #43 on: 11 Oct 2009, 02:58 »

I'm now having trouble deciding who has the best job out of you and Lunchy. On the one hand, awesome free stuff and top secret projects. On the other hand, dog with mohawk.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

evilbobthebob

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #44 on: 11 Oct 2009, 03:48 »

So, uh, in the space of these three posts in this thread I've got a job. Pay is awful, hours are worse, but I guess that's the nature of bar work. Was working until 2AM last night woo...

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
« Reply #45 on: 11 Oct 2009, 03:55 »

I'm a supervisor at a pub/restaurant which is part of the UK's biggest pub chain, Wetherspoons. Its an ok job, since I got promoted my pay is a lot better, the hours can suck but the people I work with are great. The only problem is our prices are ridiculously cheap. We sell a cheap ale at £1.35 a pint and spend most of the day shifts enduring several dozen old men drinking it by the gallon, then in the evenings we often get swamped with students drinking Jagerbombs and Sailor Jerrys (if anybody is wondering what that is, its a really sweet spiced rum thats become quite popular over here with Pepsi). Like I said, the people I work with are great, but aside from Friday and Saturday nights, where we have like 10 staff closing the pub and about 6 more who leave at about 11, we're often totally understaffed.
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #46 on: 11 Oct 2009, 06:29 »

Explaining what I do for a living is kind of a long story* because I've cobbled together a slew of different income streams, rather than having a single full-time job like most people. For example, I teach computer art classes (3D animation, game design, etc.) at a couple of colleges here in Chicago, but I'm an adjunct and thus a) this is part-time work and b) it doesn't pay much**. I also make money selling animations in Second Life but that income stream has been progressively dwindling because I've been paying less and less attention to maintaining it. And then on top of that stuff I do freelance work developing games, especially online games in Flash. Freelancing is definitely a feast-or-famine approach to work where you're constantly hustling for new clients (I finished one lucrative gig a couple weeks ago, so right now I'm hoping one of the clients I pitched last week will hire me for my next gig.)

My best shot at more stable employment is to get a full-time teaching position for next year and, while job hunting for tenure track faculty positions is pretty much always a long shot, in this economy there are even fewer schools hiring than usual. I also need to get around to finishing one of the many unfinished games I've constantly got on the back-burner (currently I have half a dozen iPhone games that I'm either planning out on paper or have developed prototypes for, but no finished games in the App Store.)

Also, all the health-care debates recently have a lot of relevance for me, since I don't have employer-provided health insurance and thus know first-hand what the situation is like for people without employer-provided health insurance (AMERICA FUCK YEAH.) It was amusing to me when my very Republican father sent my sisters and I an email full of misinformation (or rather, a link to a Wall Street Journal article full of misinformation) about what health-care is like for uninsured/underinsured, and reminded him that I am underinsured and in the past couple years I've been to the emergency room once and have had major dental work so I'm perfectly aware that that article is nonsense.

*I keep thinking I need to come up with a concise answer to the common question "What do you do?" but I never get around to thinking of that, so I'm constantly fumbling awkwardly to explain my work-life to people.

**People attending college, you might not realize that little of your tuition goes to faculty salaries (the majority pays for administration, and health services, and job placement counselors, and athletic facilities, etc.) and so only the handful of full-time faculty are paid decently, and even they are typically paid considerably less than they could make in private sector jobs.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #47 on: 11 Oct 2009, 14:04 »

I've been meaning to post about this for a month, but I couldn't find anywhere to upload PDFs.

I work at a campus newspaper doing layout & design. Since I started the job last year, we've gone from this, the design I inherited, to this, a revamp of that design, to this, our design this year. This isn't the issue I'm happiest with but the design itself is pretty close to finalized as of its publication.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #48 on: 11 Oct 2009, 14:36 »

I guess the last time didn't post so Here It Is.

I've been meaning to post about this for a month, but I couldn't find anywhere to upload PDFs.

I work at a campus newspaper doing layout & design. Since I started the job last year, we've gone from this, the design I inherited, to this, a revamp of that design, to this, our design this year. This isn't the issue I'm happiest with but the design itself is pretty close to finalized as of its publication.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #49 on: 11 Oct 2009, 14:38 »

The funny thing is that it kind of did, but not completely.  If you go to reply, it has both of your posts under the "Topic Summary" thing, but it still doesn't appear in the actual thread.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up